http://gamingtrend.com
September 24, 2014, 02:34:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EVERYONE READ PLEASE  (Read 29720 times)
RunningMn9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 12, 2004, 06:08:48 PM »

I'm only halfway reading through the thread, but I figured I would post now and finish reading later.

I don't really want to continue the fellating of KD and the CG staff, but I'm suitably impressed by your willingness to accomodate the refugees.

That said, I wouldn't ask that anything change.  ConsoleGold had an identify, and it shouldn't have to sacrifice that to accomodate GoneGolders.  GoneGolders should be expected to fit in with ConsoleGold - not the other way around.

Of course, with the demise of GoneGold, I understand branching out to cover PC gaming as well.  That would have been stepping on GG's toes in the past, but there are no longer any toes to step on.

So in general, I'm with MHS - this is YOUR corner of the web.

Some other observations:

1)  I don't expect that I will be spending much time in the forums, for a variety of reasons.  For one, the GG forum staff is working on getting something up and running and I will give that first crack.  For two, the sense that I'm getting is that the crowd that will ultimately gravitate here is the same crowd that was on the other side of the Great Schism of 2004 fiasco (to keep my description clean and unoffensive).  That's not my crowd, and I really don't have much desire to be part of that crowd.

Wherever my new home ends up being, hopefully it will be alongside a number of the R&P'ers, and those that didn't harbor ill-will towards those of us that wanted to discuss deeper things that Elisha Cuthbert's underpants.

2)  I still like to discuss Elisha Cuthbert's underpants.  To that end, since FireFox let's me have lots of sites open at the same time, the ConsoleGold forum will remain open and I will probably scan it once a day or something.  But I will take whatever this site offers - I make no request for anything to change (including the current no R&P rule).  I will adapt to ConsoleGold - not the other way around.

And finally,

3)  Back to the fellating of the CG staff.  Since you are willing to add PC gaming to your world - I will most likely spend most of my time here perusing the content of your main site.  I may not stick around the forums, but you're behavior in the past few days has certainly earned you a new patron for the main content at ConsoleGold.

Oh - one more thing.  The suggestion of being able to store game collections here, with some commentary or something, and the ability to mark that you are willing to trade is an EXCEPTIONAL idea.

That's all I guess.
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 12, 2004, 06:12:46 PM »

Thing is, you and a few others are saying you'll be gone without one. If R&P in the ONLY reason you'll stay, then why should the site owner cater to your needs?

There is so much great info here on gaming, and a myriad of great topics in this forum alone to keep someone interested in staying.

If someone would say, "listen up, I liked the R&P forum over at GG and would like to see it here, but I can live without it and won't leave because of it" then it wouldn't bother me as much. There have been many who have said this very thing, and I respect that line of open-ended thinking much more than an "or else I'm leaving" attitude.
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: October 12, 2004, 06:17:15 PM »

Quote from: "tripwire"
Thing is, you and a few others are saying you'll be gone without one. If R&P in the ONLY reason you'll stay, then why should the site owner cater to your needs?

There is so much great info here on gaming, and a myriad of great topics in this forum alone to keep someone interested in staying.

If someone would say, "listen up, I liked the R&P forum over at GG and would like to see it here, but I can live without it and won't leave because of it" then it wouldn't bother me as much. There have been many who have said this very thing, and I respect that line of open-ended thinking much more than an "or else I'm leaving" attitude.

Let me clarify. The forums are a huge draw for me, no denying that, but regardless of whether we get R & P, I will still visit the main site for console news. That said, I wont participate in the forums if we dont get R & P. I just dont see myself being drawn to the forums without R & P being an option for me to visit. Perhaps I needed to clarify my original remarks a bit more.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 12, 2004, 06:17:43 PM »

Trip, I think most people have been careful to say that they're just being honest when they say they probably wouldn't stick around if there was no R&P forum. Nobody's making ultimatums or threats as far as I can tell.

P.S. jblank: why not wait and see how things shake down? You have friends here that enjoy talking games and movies with you and those same friends will be available at another forum to talk R&P if that comes to pass. You've made your point emphatically to the powers-that-be but there are personal relationships here, not just forums divided into subjects.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 12, 2004, 06:21:05 PM »

Quote from: "RunningMn9"
I don't really want to continue the fellating of KD and the CG staff, but I'm suitably impressed by your willingness to accomodate the refugees.

Dude, I'm all for the fellating. Don't stop now, you're just getting good at it. confused

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 12, 2004, 06:33:51 PM »

Quote from: "Exodor"
Console Gold was here before us GG refugees migrated here.  While I want a P&R forum, this is their baby and they can do with it as they wish.

I loved GG because I could discuss virtually any subject I wished with a group of intelligent, articulate people, some of whom I came to know as friends.  

Console Gold is not GG.  It's a great place, and the mods have been very welcoming - but this is THEIR community that we are chosing to join.  If they wish to ban P&R, that's their decision.  I will likely migrate elsewhere in that case, but I respect their right to police their forums as they wish.

I pretty much go along with Exodor.  This isn't GG's community, but it sure is a nice one.  That said I feel I benefit from more serious conversations as well and would like to be able to discuss RP, but ultimately that is up to the CG crew to decide on.   In the meantime it's been cathartic to hang in the CG forums and process this stuff with the old GG community.  I really can't thank the CG staff enough for being as welcoming as they have.  

At this point if the decision was made to allow RP conversations at CG I almost have to believe that would almost instantly ensure much of the GG refugee community would stay put right here.  However if staff decides they don't want RP on their forums I would expect the community to continue to fracture onto other sites/forums around the net that better meet their needs.  It also may be that our former GG mods will manage to throw together a viable alternative that would make the majority of GG refugees happy and at the same time could help take the pressure off of CG to suddenly have to embrace PC game talk, RP forums, etc.  

Either way I am sure to visit CG at least somewhat regularly now given the professionalism and maturity the site seems to be run with, and also due to the same friendly feel that pervades here which I grew so accustomed to in GG days of yore.  I really enjoy this community and am sure to keep posting in some form.  

But without RP I can't promise I would be a steady contributor on the forums.  Like Exodor one of my favorite things about GG was the ability to discuss virtually any subject with a group of intelligent, articulate people.  The amount of time and thought people put into their RP posts on GG was a unique part of that experience.  And then at the end of the day the two guys who were engaged in a tit for tat debate are trading jokes on EBG or sharing PC game tips.  I rarely if ever have seen RP debates carry over tension into say a PC Games by Title discussion.  Some of my closest friends in RP provided strongly different opinions than my own, but via our exchanges in RP on those topics I feel all parties were able to strengthen their understanding of the underlying issues and come to better understand their own beliefs.

I will say that the perceived animosity caused by RP may be more illusion than real.  Since GG went down I have received multiple supportive emails from former GG RPers that often held and expressed views entirely opposite of mine, yet our friendships have grown stronger thanks to our RP debates.  All involved end up learning more about each others's views and are exposed to knowledge that may be new to them.  I definitely have learned a great deal in our reflexive RP convos both about my own views and others.   I've seen some say they might not even post here if a separate forum was created for RP, yet I have seen these same folks post on QT3 where there is already such a forum.   I realize these sorts of deep convos are not for everyone, but to many of us they were among the biggest draws on the GG forums.

gbasden
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2004, 06:39:30 PM »

I have to say I agree with jblank. I really, really appreciate Console Gold opening their doors to us, but I went to Gone Gold for a lot more than info on the latest games.

I completely agree that Console Gold shoud not make changes just to satisfy us refugees. If R&P are banned topics here, I will certainly stop by occasionally for my game news, but I doubt I will make this my primary web hangout. Hopefully that won't be the case.

jblank, if you do end up going elsewhere for R&P, would you be willing to drop me a line and let me know where the party is moving to? smile

Glenn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2004, 06:41:09 PM »

Quote from: "RunningMn9"

From Websters:
Main Entry: fel·late  
Pronunciation: 'fe-"lAt, f&-'lAt
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): fel·lat·ed; fel·lat·ing
Etymology: back-formation from fellatio
transitive senses : to perform fellatio on
intransitive senses : to fellate someone
- fel·la·tor  /-"lA-t&r, -'lA-t&r/ noun

:shock:  puke

Now I said I'd jump through hoops but I have to draw the line somewhere....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
RunningMn9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2004, 06:42:33 PM »

Quote from: "gbasden"
jblank, if you do end up going elsewhere for R&P, would you be willing to drop me a line and let me know where the party is moving to? smile

Glenn

I would recommend that all the former GG R&P'ers give the GG moderating staff a day or two to announce their plans.  They are doing their best to try and accomodate us as well.

/wishes they are serious about the possible domain name...
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2004, 06:46:52 PM »

Quote from: "gbasden"
I have to say I agree with jblank. I really, really appreciate Console Gold opening their doors to us, but I went to Gone Gold for a lot more than info on the latest games.

I completely agree that Console Gold shoud not make changes just to satisfy us refugees. If R&P are banned topics here, I will certainly stop by occasionally for my game news, but I doubt I will make this my primary web hangout. Hopefully that won't be the case.

Glenn

Sure Glenn, I will be glad to do that.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 12, 2004, 06:50:43 PM »

You know what really amuses me?  When Ron and the other CG staff broke away from the original GG, they posted things on the GG forums about the site.  I don't remember any exact threads, but it appears they were RESOUNDINGLY run off the boards, in a "you broke away, and we don't want you and your PR posts here" manner.  Now that GG is dead, everyone is coming to CG and expecting things to be EXACTLY as they were.  I think, in light of what happened in the past, that what Ron and everyone else has done is more than enough.  This site should not be exactly like GG.  GG is dead.  It's time to move on.  And adding an R&P forum, and the headaches that WILL go along with it, is not moving on.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2004, 06:56:06 PM »

Just out of curiosity, tell me the "headaches" that would accompany an R & P forum? I am genuinely interested in reading them, particularly in light of the many people that have stated that the GG R & P forum was perhaps the most civil and intelligent on the Internet.

Also, I dont know anything about them being "run off" the GG boards. I remember them posting about CG, but I never remember any bluster about it.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2004, 06:57:53 PM »

Quote from: "pr0ner"
This site should not be exactly like GG.  GG is dead.  It's time to move on.  

I think that's the bottom line.
Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2004, 07:04:49 PM »

I'd just like to weigh in quickly and thank the CG staff for welcoming the GG'ers in. I'll likely end up wherever the majority of the GG community ends up, whereever that is. For now, I'm glad to call this home.

I'm also a little embarrassed to admit was a thrill it was to see a post by Mr. Fed. I was really disappointed when events (most of which I missed due to playing World of Warcraft 10 hours a day for several months) caused Fed to leave GG and it's good to see than moniker again.

And a quick thanks to AgtFox and KD for helping get my account set up here.

Sith

Formerly Sith Lord
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2004, 07:06:40 PM »

Quote from: "Enough"
At this point if the decision was made to allow RP conversations at CG I almost have to believe that would almost instantly ensure much of the GG refugee community would stay put right here.  However if staff decides they don't want RP on their forums I would expect the community to continue to fracture onto other sites/forums around the net that better meet their needs.

This is my biggest concern and IMO the best argument for giving R&P at least a trial run. I don't think R&P causes more headaches than it's worth, and I don't think testy relationships bleed over into other forums often enough to be of concern.

You know what really amuses me? When Ron and the other CG staff broke away from the original GG, they posted things on the GG forums about the site. I don't remember any exact threads, but it appears they were RESOUNDINGLY run off the boards

I don't think that's entirely fair or accurate. The way I remember it, there was lots of regrettable behavior on all sides but that just seems like ancient history not worth dredging up at this point.
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 12, 2004, 07:12:43 PM »

After saying 'I don't know' and 'it's up to you' a few pages pack, I've had a few more thoughts. I've not been much for R&P posting, but I'd be a little sad if R&P where forbidden to the point that we couldn't even have a "Did you vote today?" thread next month, or discuss news of the weird that might have a R&P angle like "State of Georgia enforces $5000 fine for picking nose in church" or "Federal Judge sentences gangster to death in Rap". (I just made those up, BTW. They're not true.)

I guess I'm saying if the R&P forum isn't created, is there room for a little gray area for discussion somewhere between "There's a rainbow in the sky today!" and "Your party leader sucks!" (I just made those up too.  None of the regular R&P posters would go that far in a thread title... I'm talking about that rainbow thread, of course... j/k slywink )

That said this is a great site and I'm sticking around for as long as there are intelligent people here to discuss games, movies, music, books and other silly stuff, no matter what's decided on this issue.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: October 12, 2004, 07:14:25 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
This site should not be exactly like GG.  GG is dead.  It's time to move on.  

I think that's the bottom line.

Agreed.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2004, 07:16:38 PM »

Topics like "Did you vote today" will be fine.  Inflammatory political posts will be evaluated on a post by post basis.  Please see the announcement in Off Topic.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Sloan
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 12, 2004, 07:36:57 PM »

R&P was one of my favorite parts of the GG forums, I will truly miss it if it doesn't migrate here.

That said, it is your forums, do with it what you wish, I am just glad you have given us refugees a home!

If you do decide to add the R&P forum, count me in as one who would be willing to moderate it if needed, I was constantly on the old boards even if just lurking sometimes.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 12, 2004, 07:54:17 PM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
Quote from: "Enough"
At this point if the decision was made to allow RP conversations at CG I almost have to believe that would almost instantly ensure much of the GG refugee community would stay put right here.  However if staff decides they don't want RP on their forums I would expect the community to continue to fracture onto other sites/forums around the net that better meet their needs.

This is my biggest concern and IMO the best argument for giving R&P at least a trial run. I don't think R&P causes more headaches than it's worth, and I don't think testy relationships bleed over into other forums often enough to be of concern.

Based on other posts there will be at least one other "splinter" forum being set up by the old mods.

Personally, if CG rogered up with a P&R forum, I'd like to see this other splinter forum idea abandoned.  I can't see it doing anything but fracturing the community further without necessarily offering anything significantly different or better.  

With the exception of the R&P forum I can't see anything that was offered at Gone Gold that isn't currently being offered here.  As so many others have stated- the people are whats important and the vast majority seem to have settled here already so why try and force another move?

If another forum is created I will certainly check it out but I will remain here regardless.  Then again that's no major stretch- I've been reading CG and its forums for the past several months anyway.
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 12, 2004, 07:58:53 PM »

Thanks for the Road to Gold forum, that's fantastic. I heart CG mods.
Phouka
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 12, 2004, 08:01:05 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

1.) What do you want out of Console Gold?  What can we do to faciliate you? (within reason)

I'm pretty impressed with what you've already done. My only request (and frankly, you've already accommodated it) is a place in the forums for us. Who moderates it is irrelevant to me (I loved the mods back at GG, but there's no reason to think that your mods, or other mods you'd pick up, can't do an equal job.).

3.) Can I count on your support with the ads?  I don't have a lot but they support the site. (and the massive increase in traffic)

Of course. Most of us from GG tend to play fair. smile

4.) If we invest a ton of time, will everyone up and leave?

Honestly, if GG came back I'd bail and head back to it. If it doesn't, then I'm likely to stay if most of the people I'm used to from GG stay.

Pooks
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 12, 2004, 08:36:57 PM »

I'm probably going to repeat alot of what has been said but hey, humans like to talk!  :wink:

I am more than happy to call this forum my new home simply because of the welcome that was extended to the survivors after the destruction of the Gone Gold homeworld.  I think the CG mods are willing to make changes and many additions have been made.  They are understandibly wary to make too many changes at once since everything is still in flux.  However, I am quite happy to stick around and see how the forum turns out in the coming months and hopefully contribute in some manner once I become a bit more established here.

As for discussing "religion and politics" either in a separate forum or in the off-topic forum, I hope that someday this will be allowed.  There's alot of current events that I think are important to discuss and the various viewpoints are quite interesting to me.  With the demise of the old forum I think people will value the attachments they have formed over the years and the privilage of having a place to gather "virtually".  There's nothing like losing a cherished thing to make you appreciate it a bit more.  With this loss though I hope that if religion and politics makes an appearance in the forum, the discussions will be both spirited yet respectful.  We've seen what we didn't like in the old forum.  I think we can learn and do better in the new one.  And I hope given time and through the behavior of all of us new folks the mods of this forum will agree as well.

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 12, 2004, 08:43:08 PM »

I would like to add, that while I said I would click on ad links if it helps, I am not going to click on Pimp Lords. I don't even want to know where that would take me or what I would catch when I got there.

-Cota
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: October 12, 2004, 08:45:06 PM »

Quote from: "Cota"
I would like to add, that while I said I would click on ad links if it helps, I am not going to click on Pimp Lords. I don't even want to know where that would take me or what I would catch when I got there.

You ever heard or played Drug Wars (or was it Lords)?  It evidentally is kind of like that.  Actually Mike (th'FOOL) did the new front side for that register process for whomever runs the game.  It looks a lot better than it once did, that's for sure!

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 12, 2004, 08:47:31 PM »

Thinking about this while mowing the lawn I have another thought on why I would like to see the community stick to this forum:  front page content.

How many topics did we have at GG lamenting the lack of front page updates?  These updates were important for both financial solvency as well as drawing new blood into the forums.  With Console Gold there is already a pre-existing site thats has existed on its own for some time that has advertising, regular content, and pre-existing contacts within the gaming industry.  With its current orientation most new members would likely be console gamers but if CG changes to cover PC gaming too (as KD mentioned) then we would see a mix of both console and PC gamers coming into the forums.

Any new venture will have to prove itself financially viable first, particularly if the site is more than just a forum which it seems that the old leadership is intending.
khomotso
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 12, 2004, 08:57:02 PM »

I'm a little slower on the uptake than most.  Actually took 4 days of a non-responsive URL for me to decide maybe I should go hunt around for the answer ... and it brought me here.

Is it great to see some of the old names?  Sure.  Am I impressed with the hospitality?  Absolutely.  Do I have any particular loyalty to Console Gold and a desire to stay?  Not really, but we'll see.  It's a little too soon for the relationship talk, so I can't declare myself one way or another.  I admit I've come here initially merely to bear witness to GG's demise.  Feel like I'm a guest star on Six Feet Under.

I went to Gone Gold because - as others have put it - the "one-stop shopping" conversation market.  Most of the things I wanted to talk about would appear in a single forum, and a significant fraction by people I might respect.  I became a shrewder consumer of games, much improved my CD rack, got to kick the tires on films, books, and got a window onto people's lives occasionally.  Even had a few conversations with some emotional and philosophical heft.

I am an R&P lurker, and so should probably weigh in on that as well.  Always felt the GG separation was a (to use one phrase near at hand) "colossal error of judgment," even though I was an infrequent participant, at best.  Whether a separate forum or no, I think making room for such talk enriches the forum space, even if many of the threads (as they are in each forum) are throwaways, and best skipped over.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: