http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 10:24:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EVERYONE READ PLEASE  (Read 28458 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2004, 03:12:49 AM »

One little comment: I run my rig at 1152x864, and the first topic starts more than halfway down the page! Add in the sticky threads, and maybe 35-40% of the page is actually useful content. That's pretty ridiculous. Maybe a scaling of the big 'CG' logo is in order. Way too much wasted or underused space, IMO
Agreed.  On it.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2004, 03:15:13 AM »

Quote from: "DarkEL"
Hey All

Another idea that Ron and I had kicked around a while back was to add some stuff into our system to allow people to build an online listing of their game collections here on our site. From there it would be a simple matter of also allowing you to mark certain games that you like to play online (i.e. make it possible for you to find all other CG'ers that you could invite to play a round of CS:Source or Halo2.) Even take it a step further and let you mark titles that you want to offer up for trade.  

Do this, and you'd have me here for good (not that I won't be anyway, but damn, that's a good suggestion).  Also, thanks again to you CG guys who kind of got blindsided by the GG swarm; you've been nothing less than outstanding in accomodating us.  I'd never ask you guys to do as much as you've done already on your own.

gwartok
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2004, 03:15:24 AM »

Hell, we all know gonegold has really been dead for awhile now and the forums/community were the only thing keeping it alive. If you get the forum archives up and a buy-in from the gonegold regulars that this board/site is the successor I think you can count on most of us staying. I know I will.  

The short, mid, and long term goals sound great to me. With the GG front page dormant for so long now anyways any PC game related stuff you add is just icing on the cake.

Thanks yet again for offering us refuge.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2004, 03:17:09 AM »

I like your ideas DarkEl. That'll definitely convince me to change my bookmark from the forum to the site itself biggrin

I am aware that creating forums is very easy (I have experience administering a PHPBB board), so I didn't feel bad if you should do a frankenstein-izing GG and CG into one forum. Reinstating the GG mods to their respective forums to make it feel like home would be cool! biggrin Nah, it's completely up to you.

After reading Stephen's post, it seems it's permanent. So I'm definitely sticking around.

(Away with the media forum! biggrin)

EDIT: Refreshed the main forum page, and BAM! PC Gaming Forum. Maybe I missed that before. Remove Media, add R+P and move Hardware Hell up to the first category (makes more logical sense to me) and it's perfect.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2004, 03:19:34 AM »

Quote from: "DarkEL"
Hey All
The hardest part really would just be the time it would take to add PC game titles to our database. So we'd probably focus on all the big titles at first and then start the older and smaller titles. If there was sufficient interest we could even add some external tools to allow the rest of the community to assist in rebuilding the Gold Guide stuff again (i.e. submit games, links, etc, etc.).

What about a wiki for that?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2004, 03:22:09 AM »

A lot of these ideas were in my head already.  The timetables just got spun up considerably faster thanks to my pretty sister. smile

I do have a big concern though.  I don't want to have just a forum here.  There is a lot of great content to be had on that front page and in the Gold Guide.  The Gold Guide was awesome on GG and a resource that was unrivaled for a very long time.  We could make something even more grand with Eldon's tools and the communities support.  

As for people feeling like refugees...you can stop feeling like that now.  With all the cards apparently on the table, and with us making the modifications we are now, you are now members.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2004, 03:23:50 AM »

What about a wiki for that?

Our tools are so far beyond Wiki...man, Eldon does fantastic work.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2004, 03:25:54 AM »

I actually like the idea of the Media forum, but it should be kept to discussions on books, movies, televison, stuff like that.  
I think picture threads should still be in Off Topic (unless they are about books, movies, televison...).

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
warning

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2004, 03:28:00 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

As for people feeling like refugees...you can stop feeling like that now.

Somewhere, somehow somebody musta kicked you around some...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2004, 03:31:26 AM »

Ok.  The media forum flooded my box.  I have banished it.  Apparently I was the only one who liked the lime green bowling shirt.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2004, 03:31:57 AM »

Whatever you decide to do to accomodate us ex-GGr's (can I call us that now) wouldbe most welcome.  PC gaming forum is a great start, hardware as well.  Hardware in particular has helped me through numerous issues over the past year.  

Thank you smile

I'll weigh in on the "pro" side for an R&P forum, as, respectfully, my experience has been the opposite of what Rob Merrit believes would happen.  I think that most R&P types are very able to seperate their R&P discussions from the rest of the conversations/dealings and I personally have had several instances where I have gladly completed trades, gifts and normal conversations with he same person that I may be bitterly opposed to in R&P discussions (MSDuncam can confirm this, for example)

The most important thing is the people though -- Here at CG we can all come back together and join with the CG regulars and hopefully we can all enhance each others experience here.

Looking forward to being part of the crowd smile

James

PS -- I'd be happy to host the archives on my servers -- we've got about 300GB of transfer just sitting there every month...

edit - one more thing -- The color of the forums is way, way way down on my list of things to worry about smile
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2004, 03:32:01 AM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"
I'm addressing that.  I will have the subSilver theme looking like the yin to subSiilver's yang soon.

Talk about a quick response.  smile  

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2004, 03:34:22 AM »

yup.  I'll be tweaking the theme a bit more in the coming days, so it's not just the default looking theme on every phbb board out there.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2004, 03:34:32 AM »

thumbsup  :mrgreen:  thumbsup
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2004, 03:37:08 AM »

Talk about being quick on the draw. The forums are evolving as we sit here and type. How cool is that!

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2004, 03:37:45 AM »

What worked for GG?  PC gaming brought me to the site, but the wide range of mature (no matter what their actual ages are) posters willing to give opinions and recommendations on film, music, books, TV, job advice, relationship advice, or whatever silly topic would strike someone's fancy on a certain day is what kept me coming back.  As most everyone who fits this description seems to have moved here (along with the intelligent people who were already posting here before our little mishap) it looks like this is where I'm staying.  And I'm liking it here. (You can count on me for ad-clicking support as well)

As far as R&P... um, I'd say whatever makes the most people happy- unfortunately it doesn't look like you can make everyone happy on this no matter what you do.  So the choice is up to you and the other people in charge (as it always has been) and I sincerely hope most here can live with whatever is decided.  There's been some great R&P posts with intelligent conversions, and there's been some not so great.  And a lot of threads with both the great and not-so-great coexisting at once.   I see three choices 1) Keep things as is, 2) lift the ban on R&P and allow the threads to seep into the Off-Topic area with moderation if things get out of hand, or 3) set up a new forum as GG did... what would be best for this site and its posters, I don't know.

(and yay, media got removed while typing this. I'll remove my thoughts on that before hitting submit)

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2004, 03:37:46 AM »

-Keep the ban on R&P permanent.  My thoughts on R&P are either it's all-out or none at all--a R&P quarantine forum is NOT the answer.

-Don't import ANY ex-Gone Gold moderators.  This is Console Gold.  And while there were exceptions, most of GG's moderators sucked.

-Administer punishment fairly.  Derek Smart was pandered to by the old GG staff--despite acting like a child on a regular basis, he was sheltered and coddled because he was a 'special case.'  Let there be no 'special cases.'

-Most of all, don't bend too much to those who would "resurrect" Gone Gold.  There were alot of things wrong with that forum--almost as many things as there were right.  Let Console Gold be a home to ex-GGers, not a redux.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Earsofsteel
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2004, 03:57:00 AM »

Good job NS and all CG crew. I have to say the level of dedication already shown to this site is unbelievable!

I would like a hardware section, and a PC games section, but that is all I really need. The site is great as is and whatever you want to do I am good to have have enjoying the site!  Cool

Also, be sure to check the rest of the site! the MK preview and history was facinating, I remember playing the first two and the Gamegear version of MK! Fun times.

Have fun! biggrin  biggrin

Activated Cyborg!
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2004, 04:12:04 AM »

I'd just like to thank you for all you've done to make us feel welcome - not that my opinion matters, of course smile

I'd stay regardless, but a PC forum, and a Hardware one would be nice, and I would volunteer whatever time and services I could to help out.

Thanks for everything. Seriously.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2004, 04:12:45 AM »

I would like a hardware section, and a PC games section
You have both already. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2004, 04:20:31 AM »

I want a pony.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2004, 04:25:46 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
I want a pony.

Here you go, your very own:

Xbox Live: AgtFox
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2004, 04:25:54 AM »

Quote from: "warning"

I want a pony.

No.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
DCW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2004, 04:31:27 AM »

smile wonder if I can train my lil barking rat dog to lead me around... smile

thanks, KS - we all appreciate it, I'm certain.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2004, 04:38:01 AM »

i want to have a better title than a newbie.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2004, 04:40:31 AM »

19 more posts and you will. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2004, 04:41:51 AM »

19 more posts and you will. smile

Dude that's not much better... and it's a bit presumptious slywink

I KEED, I KEED.

gellar
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2004, 05:01:17 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
I doubt there will be an R&P forum.  I used to moderate another forum that has never had R&P and has thrived without it...in fact I would say it was better without it.  I am sick and tired of religion and politics, there are other forums for it where there will be a lot more users using it, both partisan and non-partisan.  To me this is a game site that happens to have an Off-Topic forum.  I personally don't want religion and politics to seep itself into this forum that I am an administrator of.

If that means you don't participate in this forum, that's fine...however I don't want the added moderation of an R&P forum.  It needs X times the amount of "watchover" to make sure people don't cross the "personal attack" line or things get out of hand versus basically ALL the other forums combined.  I went to the R&P section of GG and I found it to be super partisan.  Fact is you aren't going to change anyone's opinion about religion and politics, so why should there be a corner for that here?

Do you understand where I'm coming from?  Sorry to act like a hardass, but the people that want R&P are a vocal minority, much like they were at GG.

Very well said, and I agree 100%.  thumbsup
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2004, 05:13:43 AM »

Just popped in to see if there was any update, and lo and behold....
the forums page has everything I could possibly look for. I cast my vote for no R&P...just invites flames and arguing and usually spills over to other areas. Doesnt promote a healthy enviroment IMO. But with the current changes made, I think that most folks from GG will be very, very happy here. One thing I dont quite get is the comment about support for ads. I know on GG there was a kickback from GoGamer if we accessed thru there. Is that the same here? If you are talking about straight monetary support, I have no problem shooting a little Paypal cash your way if that could be setup. And lastly...I have NO intention of leaving.
To me thats like being dumped by a girl , finding another nicer, better looking girl who's willing to dress and act like the other girl who dumped ya just to make your miserable ass happy, only to leave her for the town slut, just cause everyone else is doing her. Makes no sense.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2004, 05:17:33 AM »

I don't understand the post amount ranking system thing, just makes people pad as was stated before slywink

Anyway great forum I can call this home for now and thanks for all the changes to fit the PC crowd.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2004, 05:18:56 AM »

Quote from: "SkyLander"
I don't understand the post amount ranking system thing, just makes people pad as was stated before slywink

I don't believe there is anything above "Console Gold Reader" unless you are a staffperson or related to the site.  That should eliminate a lot of the padding as there is no carrot dangling.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Quipp
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2004, 05:20:35 AM »

:shock:
Wow, I go to work for 8 hours and come back to a whole new site. Impressive work!

I like the seperate PC section and it's good to see a Hardware Hell section as well.

I have to say that I do miss the Religion and Politics section. I only posted in GG's R&P forum a handful of times but enjoyed reading the spirited debate and the in-depth (and often lengthy smile)discussions. I do understand your worries about having such a forum however, and I won't leave CG based solely on its exclusion.  I do hope some sort of permanent R&P forum is created somewhere by the former GG community though. After all, I'm not so lazy that I can't surf two sites. I believe CSL suggested a sticky link to an independent R&P site? I think that would be a suitable compromise when and if such a site is created.

Your idea of hosting a searchable archive of the GG forums is great. I would be willing to donate money to see this happen. Oh, and if DarkEl's idea's come to pass I will be  biggrin.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2004, 05:25:46 AM »

Didn't have a chance to read through all the replies here but I for one will be here till the end. I really like CG for what it is and the community that exists (even before the mass influx). Although I may have opinions about what is done with the site and with the community, ultimately it is them that lead me.

Thank you KD and CG staff, I look forward to the many years of entertainment we have in our future.

LiveTAG: happydog
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2004, 05:27:00 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Fact is you aren't going to change anyone's opinion about religion and politics, so why should there be a corner for that here?

My simplest argument for having an R&P forum lies in rebuttal to this quote.  Yes, minds change.  All the time.  The uncountable debates between ridiculously smart people about so many things over at GG in both EBG and R&P have had a huge effect on my worldview.

Anyway, just wanted to throw a vote in for it... I hope it happens. smile
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2004, 05:41:34 AM »

I'd already started lurking here due to my getting an x-box not too long ago so I'm here for good. Thanks for being so avccomodating and I hope that the forum regulars aren't too overwhelmed by the sudden explosion of wackos arriving smile

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2004, 05:46:17 AM »

Just want to add my thanks to Knightshade Dragon and the rest of CG admins/mods for being so welcoming and providing us with such a fine new home!

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
Byrns
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2004, 05:58:15 AM »

I would like a Road to Gold forum. It could contain both console and PC games.

Other than that everything looks great! thumbsup
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2004, 06:06:44 AM »

Things I want to ask:
1.) What do you want out of Console Gold?  What can we do to faciliate you? (within reason)

2.) What do you want resserected out of Gone Gold?  What worked?  What didn't?

3.) Can I count on your support with the ads?  I don't have a lot but they support the site. (and the massive increase in traffic)

4.) If we invest a ton of time, will everyone up and leave?  There was a mass influx of people and with splinter forums opening up there are a lot of ways out.  I'm loathe to invest my staff's time to build this place into what you want if everyone will say thank you and leave.  I'm not looking for a membership oath, but some of my staff are getting a vibe that folks might be about to jump ship off CG again.

1.  Frankly, everything I could ask seems to be happening. Most impressive!  Generally, I want the same sense of community I felt at GG, and darn if I don't already feel that here. In some ways it's better, a fresh start and all.

2.  Gold Guide, especially if it gets updated.  Some kind of Rollcall type column, sort of a message from the editor kind of thing would be nice.  I like to know there's real people behind it all, a column(about anything, not just gaming) helps to communicate that.  The color scheme and forum types seem to already be covered, which is cool.  What didn't work? For me, the reviews. I get all the info I want or need from reading people's 'impression' threads on the various games.

3. I'll do my best.

4. As of right now, I'm not leaving unless kicked out. I won't leave for another forum of this type. By that I mean that I still will take part in other forums as I did when GG was in effect, but those serve other purposes than this one. My main gaming/daily forum will be this one.   I will NOT cut and run, not after being received here with such hospitality, that's not my style.     I've looked around the last couple of days, I'm most comfortable with this forum,  so this is a definitive decision for me.
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2004, 06:06:46 AM »

1.) What do you want out of Console Gold? What can we do to faciliate you? (within reason)

Forums are all I need. And the plebes to populate them. Everything I needed to support my game hobby I found in the Gone Gold forums. If you add those (and it looks like you already have), then I'm golden.

3.) Can I count on your support with the ads? I don't have a lot but they support the site.

If you mean clicking on ads, sure. I can't promise to buy my games through them though.

If we invest a ton of time, will everyone up and leave?

That's a good question. Friendly, mature gaming forums are what I'm after. That's what Gone Gold gave me. But forums aren't worth anything without the people. If the PC forums here fail for whatever reason, there will be nothing to keep me here. No matter how nice you guys are. smile I guess if I were you, I wouldn't invest much into the PC side for awhile and see how it goes with just the forums. On the other hand, maybe some front page content or other PC content might help keep the forums going. Tough decision, but then I know Jack about running a website.

So. PC Games, Hardware, Multiplayer, and a Weekly Deals forums for sure for me. R&P seemed more like a dick slapping contest than anything else. I suppose it was fun to watch the Conservatives end up in the little dick corner after getting whooped by the Liberals everytime, but I could live without that. There's no shortage of places for that around the net.

Now, if you were to add front page PC news, reviews and that kind of stuff, that would all be gravy. I'd certainly get use out of that, and I'd enjoy that, but I could get by with just Gone Goldesque forums.

Thanks again for being so gracious Console Gold.

-Cota
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2004, 06:17:27 AM »

God knows I love Gone Gold like crazy and I'll always remember it as my first forum but I have to say, with this robust software and the quick, considerate work from the staff, I feel like I moved from the Quality Inn to the Four Seasons. I had no idea what I was missing. (No offense, GG mods. You guys kicked ass.) Thanks for welcoming us and adding PC rooms so promptly.

As for all of us just up and leaving if our old digs get resurrected, man that sounds lame. I sure hope that doesn't happen. Like Metalhed's Sister (<sniff> remember back when she went by that name?) said, the community will get more and more wayward and diluted with each migration. I sincerely hope we all stay put now that this has come to pass for almost a week.

On the R&P debate: I don't participate nearly as much as I used to in those threads but I enjoy lurking and piping in occasionally. I'd be bummed not to have those thread topics around but it's not a dealbreaker. I can go lurk or sign up wherever the gang takes their debates (which is sounding like Popehat more and more everyday.) I'll be dumber for it though. I'm with Mookee... Those threads, at their best, can be thought provoking and valuable. It'd be a shame to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Now. All that said... it's just the ULTIMATE in bad timing if we as a (big) group can't discuss the upcoming election. That's what everyone's talking about right now everywhere I go. The debates, the polls, the ads, the odds, PLEASE don't make that topic taboo until the end of the election. Consider it a grandfather clause (with no death tax - Vote Kerry!) for the poor GG SOB's who just lost their corner of the internet.

I really hope the powers-that-be will consider letting Election topics appear in the Off Topic forum.

Thanks again! Seems you guys do good work over here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: