http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 10:03:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EVERYONE READ PLEASE  (Read 28611 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2004, 02:02:22 AM »

Ok, now that I've had a few hours to think about this.  There are some things I want to say, and some things I want to ask.

Things I want to say:
1.) Thanks to everyone for respecting the rules. (well, except for the jacktards, but I've dispatched them easily enough)  We really have had a very quiet moderation scene until recently...

2.) Console Gold is Console Gold.  That means that we aren't going to rip up the floorboards and become something we are not.  We'll open new forums, we'll make concessions, we'll expand.  We will bring on new staff and cover PC gaming with PC reviews, PC news, with seperated PC forums and adapt to the needs of the community, but at the end of the day, we are still Console Gold.

3.) Moderation, Moderators, And Everything in Moderation:  There have been a deluge of emails that have gone unanswered in my email box about bringing in Gone Gold moderators to run things at CG.  I assure you that every mod at CG is hand-picked by my senior staff and this would include any ex-GG mods.  There won't be an open blanket shift from one to the other though.  You've probably also noticed that I'm a more no-nonsense moderator.  I'm of very low tolerance for things like pictures of Tubgirl or Goatse, so expect a permanent vacation on your first offense for things like that.  I'll be stern, but fair.  

Things I want to ask:
1.) What do you want out of Console Gold?  What can we do to faciliate you? (within reason)

2.) What do you want resserected out of Gone Gold?  What worked?  What didn't?

3.) Can I count on your support with the ads?  I don't have a lot but they support the site. (and the massive increase in traffic)

4.) If we invest a ton of time, will everyone up and leave?  There was a mass influx of people and with splinter forums opening up there are a lot of ways out.  I'm loathe to invest my staff's time to build this place into what you want if everyone will say thank you and leave.  I'm not looking for a membership oath, but some of my staff are getting a vibe that folks might be about to jump ship off CG again.

Here are the plans for the short, medium/long term:

Short Term:
By the time you read this, I'll have set up (or will be in the process of doing so) the forums into a more PC friendly environment.  This is to meet the needs of our new PC friends.  I will have also setup a few new forums that will give you a familiar feeling as well.  We will begin reviewing PC titles in the forums and making infrastructure changes to facilitate PC reviews, previews, interviews, and so forth which leads into the medium and long term plans.

Medium Term/Long Term:
We will setup a system by which you can filter the news.  You will be able to flush out any console related or pc related news based on some simple selections to make your news reading an easier to digest format.  We will also have begun work on reviving the PC Gold Guide but in a fashion similar to what we do at Console Gold.  While there is no way it would ever be as inclusive (PC games go HOW far back?!) we will be working towards that lofty goal.  Community support will be paramount here and we will try to facilitate this by making a system whereby you can enter in submissions to make our guide more complete.  

Given the information contained in the recent post from RPGHero from Rich's brother, it seems like the waiting has come to an end.  I'll move forward with this until I hear otherwise.  It seems like what is best for the community.  Please drop your comments in here.  Thank you.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 02:05:48 AM »

Sweet.

For my wish list...

PC game forum, hardware help forum, (multiplayer forum for both pc and console? or make a pc one?)  Not sure about road to gold on that either, heh.

But that about covers me, unless someone can get all the data from Andys gold guide and pick up the flag, but I think that would be a hard wish.  :lol:
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 02:09:01 AM »

I notice you have an ad for Gogamer on the front page. Do you get a cut for games we by there using your portal,or just for clicking on it? :?:

Ye Olde Farte
IHateMorrowind
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 02:16:22 AM »

Knightshade, can we PLEASE have our R+P?  Pretty please?

I know you folks have been mucho considerate of us PC refugees, but R+P was THE reason many people spent a lot of time on the GG forums.  Thanks smile.

"Life is good...but evil has more fun."
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 02:17:20 AM »

Well the old traders list has been imported to the trade forum, and that's a great start.

Continuing to call your site CG is fine with me. Except for a few super premium titles, such as HL2 and Doom3, most of the industry is shifting towards CG anyway. Hell, within a few shorts years the lines will be so blurred that it won't even be an issue any longer.

The only people that I see leaving or those that want an R+P forum. Frankly, I think R+P is more trouble than it's worth, but it's not my call to me, and I am glad of it.

I'd like to see a:

mmorpg forum
action forum
strategy forum
trader's forum (check)
general topic forum (check)
hardware forum
media forum (pictures, movies, music, books, etc)

I think you've done a great job, so far, considering that you've had no advance warning, of any of this.

Oh, as far as supporting the site, how about a donation link for paypal "and" amazon, as well as a mailing address for checks and money orders.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 02:19:25 AM »

If there was no R&P, it would greatly increase my chances of staying. (thus use this info for good or evil.)

Over all I don't think Console gold should change for us. It isn't like Gone Gold changed for other users.  Just a place to be goofy and talk about games is all I need.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 02:20:05 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Things I want to ask:

I think one of the more common answers you will hear is a separate section in this site for Religion and Politics discussion.  In most ways this worked at the old site and in some ways it didn't.  I'm sure it took up quite a bit of moderator time patrolling the streets there.

Nevertheless, I think that without some way to at least discuss politics here in a civil way, many will leave.  Maybe that's for the best, maybe for the worst.

My other worry is that the ConsoleGold Forum regulars will feel like they've lost their forums to the immigrants.  I'd hate to think that some of your regulars might move elsewhere because of us.
IHateMorrowind
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 02:21:08 AM »

Rob, just out of curiousity, why would the ABSENCE of a R+P forum be a decisive factor for you?  If you don't want to deal with the R+P discussions, you don't have to read that forum...right?

"Life is good...but evil has more fun."
RookieCAF
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 02:25:03 AM »

Thank You Knightshade Dragon! You are the Bomb.. And I mean that in a good way.

~Rookie
Attitude Determines Altitude
Arnold Yim
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 02:25:24 AM »

Since you put alot of thought into this, I'll be honest.

I came to GG for several reasons.
1.  The number, and diversity of people.
2.  My love of pc gaming
3.   The ability to get all the latest news of new games, whether by the front page or from the forums.
4.  Being able to talk about abortion, checking up on what member X did last night, and seeing what new games were coming out; all in the same forum.

To be honest, Console Gold, and your superb handling, has made this place a refuge away from home.

That being said, it's not home (to me).  I am still waiting for a resurrection of GG, or an equivalent.  Like you said, this is Console Gold.  While you can accomodate some things on my list (like 1 and 3), you can't accomodate all of them without turning CG into something it is not.

That's my take, and I have no idea what other people think.

Of course, in the end, I'll go where most of the crowd goes :-)  After all, GG was mostly about the people.
Seekre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 02:26:52 AM »

3.) Can I count on your support with the ads? I don't have a lot but they support the site. (and the massive increase in traffic)

I can certainly give my support to your ads - or direct support, whichever works best for you.

4.) If we invest a ton of time, will everyone up and leave? There was a mass influx of people and with splinter forums opening up there are a lot of ways out. I'm loathe to invest my staff's time to build this place into what you want if everyone will say thank you and leave. I'm not looking for a membership oath, but some of my staff are getting a vibe that folks might be about to jump ship off CG again.

I would love a pc game forum and you already have the 'off topic' forum so you certainly have me for the long run if you would have a regular PC game forum section.

Once again thanks for taking in all of us refugees and for your willingness
to be open to taking in the GG peeps.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 02:27:01 AM »

I feel that R&P encourages negativity on forums as a whole even out side of those discussions. If someone is a jerk in R&P, you tend to view them differently out side of those threads and your conversation with that person is tainted even when you aren't talking about it. Many of the forums I visit out right ban it now even if they supported it in the past.

FYI I'm not interested in debating it. Its my opinion, accept it for what it is. IF CG adds R&P, its up to me to stay or go.

Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 02:29:05 AM »

Things I want to say:

Just a hearty thanks once again, and a note to say I can respect the things you said.  

Things I want to ask:
1.) What do you want out of Console Gold?  What can we do to faciliate you? (within reason)

Pretty much what you're already doing, only grow to include PC games, as 99% of my gaming is done on the PC.

I'd of course like a PC gaming forum, it'd be nice if the trader feedback could be carried over, and I'll throw in a wishy-washy vote for an R&P (or at least a 'general debate') forum.  I won't be ridiculous and hinge my staying/leaving a gaming forum on this point, but I did enjoy frequenting R&P, and think that the discussions there were on the whole valuable.

3.) Can I count on your support with the ads?  I don't have a lot but they support the site. (and the massive increase in traffic)

Of course.  Of course, you're violating most of your advertising agreements by specifically asking, but yes, I'm happy to support the sites I frequent.  smile

4.) If we invest a ton of time, will everyone up and leave?  There was a mass influx of people and with splinter forums opening up there are a lot of ways out.  I'm loathe to invest my staff's time to build this place into what you want if everyone will say thank you and leave.  I'm not looking for a membership oath, but some of my staff are getting a vibe that folks might be about to jump ship off CG again.

It does sound like many people are considering moving on if another opportunity presents itself, but I for one like what I've found here, and will likely continue to spend time here regardless.

By the time you read this, I'll have set up (or will be in the process of doing so) the forums into a more PC friendly environment.  

Rock on.

Community support will be paramount here and we will try to facilitate this by making a system whereby you can enter in submissions to make our guide more complete.  

Rock on!  This is a great idea.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 02:33:38 AM »

What do you guys think of this....now this is just a brainstorm so this isn't well thought out or in any way condoned or green-lit.  

What if we hosted the GG forums as an archive?  We lock that shite software down and just make it a searchable archive so the data isn't lost.  If somebody has a wild hair they could move the data, but it'd be accessable if we could get ahold of the data.

Here is the hitch.  Its 30GB.  We'd need someplace to host it and $$ to pay the cost for access.  If those are donated, its free.  If not, we'll have to beat the support drum.  I'm listening....

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 02:33:56 AM »

I doubt there will be an R&P forum.  I used to moderate another forum that has never had R&P and has thrived without it...in fact I would say it was better without it.  I am sick and tired of religion and politics, there are other forums for it where there will be a lot more users using it, both partisan and non-partisan.  To me this is a game site that happens to have an Off-Topic forum.  I personally don't want religion and politics to seep itself into this forum that I am an administrator of.

If that means you don't participate in this forum, that's fine...however I don't want the added moderation of an R&P forum.  It needs X times the amount of "watchover" to make sure people don't cross the "personal attack" line or things get out of hand versus basically ALL the other forums combined.  I went to the R&P section of GG and I found it to be super partisan.  Fact is you aren't going to change anyone's opinion about religion and politics, so why should there be a corner for that here?

Do you understand where I'm coming from?  Sorry to act like a hardass, but the people that want R&P are a vocal minority, much like they were at GG.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 02:35:09 AM »

Well I WOULD like an R&P thread, however it seems that won't happen, therefore a nice sticky leading us to independant R&P forum would be nice.
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 02:35:40 AM »

If GG suddenly reappears, then I *may* disappear.  But I have to say, even with my dislike of consoles, I do think this place is a good forum to add to my daily visit list.  I don't know if it's because so many of the GGers are here, or if it's always been that way (I hadn't even visited this site until GG went under).

Now that there's a PC specific forum, there isn't much more I would add.  Possibly a hardware forum, but that COULD go in the PC or even the off topic forums.  

I don't really care one way or another about R&P.  Seeing as I hate debating religion and don't really care enough about politics, I rarely visit those forums.  

And I also have to say I really don't like Raven's suggestions (No offense :p).  I don't like breaking down forums into a bunch of subforums (Action/Strategy/Sports/InsertOtherGenresHere).  But that's just me.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2004, 02:37:54 AM »

Quote from: "CSL"
Well I WOULD like an R&P thread, however it seems that won't happen, therefore a nice sticky leading us to independant R&P forum would be nice.

See, to me, you can search for that stuff on your own.  We aren't here to give the information about how to get to an R&P forum.  There are obviously options out there such as Popehat (which has been discussed in different threads right here in the Off-Topic forum), which former and current GG members are a part of.  Start there and they might be able to point you elsewhere.

JSHAW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2004, 02:39:30 AM »

I won't speak for anyone but myself, so here are my thoughts on MY new forum home, ConsoleGold;

I'm not going to compare this place to Gone Gold, but I do know I'm not going to jump ship and leave.  Even if the GG forums were to come back online, I wouldn't go back. The way the forums went down, it could have been handled better, NUFF SAID.

I look forward to reading PC game reviews, and settling in to these new digs.

What I'd like to see here as far as moderation / moderators are those positions being given to people that you trust, and that have earned those positions based on seniority, and not based on "who know's who" and "favoritism". If none of the GG moderators are used here, doesn't bother me in the least. If they are, no problem either...

Knighshade Dragon,

I think your short term and long term goals are right on target, and what you have planned sounds really good.

I've only been here about a day and 1/2 and I haven't read everything on the main site area, but from what I've seen it's a VERY well run site, and is only going to get better.

The ONE thing that I think DID NOT work good on the GG forum's  was the constant post padding just for the sake of getting 3000 posts and a "neat little name tag" next to the user name. If it's possible, I'd hope that there's none of that junk going on here.  After seeing it day in and day out, I really got sick of seeing the "wise ass" tag next to my name, because there's day's where I'm just not a wise ass, but just a nice guy wanting to post something and go about my merry way. Just my opinion, but post padding for the sake of earning a "name tag" = bogus.

That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth...I'm here for the long haul.
THANKS for being here.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2004, 02:40:19 AM »

What do you guys think of this....now this is just a brainstorm so this isn't well thought out or in any way condoned or green-lit.  

What if we hosted the GG forums as an archive?  We lock that shite software down and just make it a searchable archive so the data isn't lost.  If somebody has a wild hair they could move the data, but it'd be accessable if we could get ahold of the data.

Here is the hitch.  Its 30GB.  We'd need someplace to host it and $$ to pay the cost for access.  If those are donated, its free.  If not, we'll have to beat the support drum.  I'm listening....

Just the forum content would be much less, under 15GB
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2004, 02:42:18 AM »

BTW...for those that want R&P, Ron makes the ultimate decisions...I am just giving my thoughts on it.  So, suck up to Ron and you may get it.

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2004, 02:42:51 AM »

As far as the Boards go, I'm very happy to have the PC and Console Games separated (which they are), a Multiplayer forum, and EBG / Off-Topic.

It looks like you've pretty much got what I'm looking for.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2004, 02:42:59 AM »

Maybe I'm in the minority on this one, but I found many threads in the R&P forum at GG to be quite mature and intellectually stimulating. I have great respect for the articulate and intelligent musings of many of GG's regular posters, and I'd hate to lose access to that.

Of course, I understand it's not my decision...
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2004, 02:44:21 AM »

The Coming Soon/Not yet Gold/Road to Gold forum would be nice. It was an area that I frequented often, and it's great to get all of those discussions/news consolidated in one place.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2004, 02:47:24 AM »

All right, here's my take...

Firstly, like all the others, I'd like to thank you for your generosity towards the GG'ers who came here.

With that out of the way... What accommodations would I want? There's a few... A separate PC games forum... Maybe a forum separate (General Console Discussion, Console Games by Title, then General PC Game Discussion and PC Games by Title). I'm not sure about the multiplayer forum, since it seems to be quiet enough for both, and the lines are blurred anyway. Add a Hardware Help/Discussion, and designate it for hardware discussion of both PC and consoles (the Nintendo DS vs. PSP thread over in the other forum would belong there, for example). A R+P forum (I don't visit often myself, but political discussion is inevitable, and that's what many Gone Golders stay for - the political/religious duscussion, and I feel that it's unfair to keep that away). Maybe a Weekly Value forum.

Yeah, basically a merging of the GG forum and the CG forum into one. What you want to do with the front page is entirely up to you - the GG community thrived without the front page for years, and I feel that the lack of frontpage content kind of contributes to the GoneGold feel. Dunno, maybe I'm just mad slywink.

Lastly, I don't want to say this, but what you said is true. If someone gets the Gone Gold Forum database, and resurrects the forums, somewhere or on gonegold.com itself, I will be gone, as will many of us. Sure I will come back occasionally and lurk, like I has in the past. But not actively post like I do now, and will if this turns out to be permanent. It's the people I post with, not the site, if you know what I mean. You did an amazing job with Console Gold, and I applaud you for the job well done. But it's not for me.

One more final note: If this turns into a truly permanent thing, we're refugees no longer, and are actual contributing members of this forum. So don't feel like you're "accommodating" the Gone Gold people - we are former Gone Golders who has came to post here, and as strange as that may sound, we are the majority here now. So you're changing to suit your audience if you will. It's just the wise thing to do smile

Again, thanks.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2004, 02:48:45 AM »

Quote from: "JSHAW"
The ONE thing that I think DID NOT work good on the GG forum's  was the constant post padding just for the sake of getting 3000 posts and a "neat little name tag" next to the user name.

That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth...I'm here for the long haul.
THANKS for being here.

That's an excellent post, JSHAW.  Glad to have you aboard!

I highlighted one section that I felt was very well-stated and echoed something I had been thinking.  Obviously I'm not saying we have to speak in hushed tones about only things of the utmost global importance, but to see many of the pad-posts go would be a welcome change in my eyes.  It got to the point that people would actively flaunt the fact they didn't read a single post in the thread, yet post away with some wise crack.  I can't say I'll miss that.

That said, I'm really glad to have so many GG'rs find their way here and to see them feel welcome.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
wookiee007
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2004, 02:51:27 AM »

It has only been a few days, you have almost everything I need. The only thing that I miss is the hardware section.

I don't deserve a sig yet
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2004, 02:55:41 AM »

1.) What do you want out of Console Gold? What can we do to faciliate you? (within reason)

If you're able to add PC news to your current site without compromising what you've built, then go for it. I think the real PC knowledge base will be in the PC Games forum anyway.

2.) What do you want resserected out of Gone Gold? What worked? What didn't?

I didn't participate in the R&P threads much, but I'd like the option of doing so if something interesting comes up. If we have no such forum, would cordial political/religious discussions be allowed in the Off-Topic forum, or would they not be allowed at all. Just curious is all.

EDIT: As far as the forums, the PC games forum can be a catch all for general gaming, games by title and road to gold. Aside from a hardware help forum, I'd say you're covered.

3.) Can I count on your support with the ads? I don't have a lot but they support the site. (and the massive increase in traffic)

You got it.

4.) If we invest a ton of time, will everyone up and leave?

No. Personally, I doubt GG is coming back in any form that I would recognize. I'm here for the long haul. I may flirt around with a couple other forums, but you're my mistress now.  smile

This may not mean much, but what the CG staff has done in these few short days is absolutely outstanding. That's primarily why I'm staying. The GG community feel is here, plus a support staff that's active and flexible. What's not to like?

(edited to make it easier on the eyes)

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2004, 02:57:36 AM »

hardware section.
Done

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2004, 02:57:50 AM »

Why exactly was media seperated from the main off-topic forum? Doesn't exactly make sense to me.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2004, 02:59:40 AM »

Its a new shirt.  We try it on and see if we like the fit.  Like many new shirts, it fits great at the store and you hope you still like it in the morning.  Lets see how the media shirt fits in the morning...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2004, 03:01:48 AM »

A few things have come to my attention since I washed up on the CG shore. First, this website, forums included, seems to be well thought out and thoughtfully maintained by some dedicated people. Second, those dedicated people seem to all be on the same page and Knightshade Dragon definately appears to have his proverbial shit together.
Third, everyone is just so dang nice!

The added support for PC game enthusiasts such as myself would cause me to stay for the long haul.

Not having an R&P forum would be a refreshing change of pace as far as I'm concerned. I was never a heavy participant over at GG, but  I was drawn to the R&P stuff like a motorist passing a car wreck. I just had to look, and sometimes I just had to post.  Rob_Merritt mentioned ealier in this thread about negativity. Not to discount the many intelligent and insightful posts over at the GG R&P forum, I tend to agree with Mr. Merritt's opinion in that regard.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2004, 03:04:26 AM »

I'd like to see some a separate forum for PC and console games (which was needed before the GG crash, IMO).
I vote no for an R & P forum.  Just because there was one at GG doesn't mean there should be the need to have one at CG.  

Just my $0.02

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2004, 03:05:34 AM »

One little comment:  I run my rig at 1152x864, and the first topic starts more than halfway down the page!  Add in the sticky threads, and maybe 35-40% of the page is actually useful content.  That's pretty ridiculous.  Maybe a scaling of the big 'CG' logo is in order.   Way too much wasted or underused space, IMO.

Carry on.  smile
MHS
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2004, 03:07:15 AM »

Not that my opinion matters, but:

1) First and foremost, KD, please let me say thank you to you (and the staff here) for your extremely gracious acceptance of our lifeboats.  I hate to admit this, but if I were a CG staff member, I wouldn't be able to help but feel like the uglier sister who only gets her pretty sister's cast-offs when that bitch gets AIDS or something.   :twisted:   So, it's nice that you haven't told us all to go screw ourselves.

2) Having said that... I sincerely doubt that I'll ever be as active here as I was on GoneGold.  I'm just one person, obviously, but I'd hate to feel as if changes were made here because of us if we aren't all valuable, contributing members.  I don't know that I'd be as active anywhere as on GG.  Part of me just feels like it's the end of an era, and as much as I love the community, I don't know that it would be the same.  Maybe it will be, but I think wannabe's will spring up, and there will be members here, and at Q23, and at the phoenix's rising from the ashes, and the community will end up diluted and fragmented.  Maybe if we could know that only the asshat's will all go to a different forum... slywink

3) Having said all THAT... I think you have a fine little corner of the web here, and quite honestly, I don't think you should implement ANY changes just because of us.  If there were things you wanted to do anyway, by all means, do them, but don't let a bunch of cast-offs from the pretty sister come in and start making petty demands.  

Thanks again for the welcome.

-MHS

"they're lucky they found an MHS out there, otherwise their fates would have been sealed."
Grinfin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2004, 03:07:35 AM »

The only thing I don't like at the moment is the separate media forum. Does that mean you're not suppose to post pictures of any kind in the straight Off Topic forum? dbt would wither away ;O)
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2004, 03:08:45 AM »

Quote from: "VynlSol"
A few things have come to my attention since I washed up on the CG shore. First, this website, forums included, seems to be well thought out and thoughtfully maintained by some dedicated people. Second, those dedicated people seem to all be on the same page and Knightshade Dragon definately appears to have his proverbial shit together.
Third, everyone is just so dang nice!

So true, it reminds me of when i moved outta NYC to FL and around 10pm we get a knock on our door. I yelled for the wife to bolt the doors and get the gun, turns out it was just our neighbors welcoming us to the street  :roll:

Thanks for the warm welcome. I will be clicking away on whatever ads you put up (if it grabs my interest of course, right Zaxxon?)  :wink:
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2004, 03:11:48 AM »

Hey All

Just a couple quick notes from me. Cuz I can build a lot of stuff to help enhance things around here and generally make like easier.

Adding PC stuff to the site would be a pretty easy thing for me to do.  Just throw a few switches, turn a few knobs and boom we'll start having PC game news, reviews, screenshots, gold guide, etc, etc.  

The hardest part really would just be the time it would take to add PC game titles to our database. So we'd probably focus on all the big titles at first and then start the older and smaller titles. If there was sufficient interest we could even add some external tools to allow the rest of the community to assist in rebuilding the Gold Guide stuff again (i.e. submit games, links, etc, etc.).

Another idea that Ron and I had kicked around a while back was to add some stuff into our system to allow people to build an online listing of their game collections here on our site. From there it would be a simple matter of also allowing you to mark certain games that you like to play online (i.e. make it possible for you to find all other CG'ers that you could invite to play a round of CS:Source or Halo2.) Even take it a step further and let you mark titles that you want to offer up for trade.  

Stuff like that.

So let me know if you like any of those ideas or if you have any other site development ideas /suggestion as well.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2004, 03:12:14 AM »

Media forum isn't my idea of a good idea (how's that for english mangling?) but let's see how the shirt feels tomorrow I guess.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2004, 03:12:19 AM »

Quote from: "Zaxxon"
One little comment:  I run my rig at 1152x864, and the first topic starts more than halfway down the page!  Add in the sticky threads, and maybe 35-40% of the page is actually useful content.  That's pretty ridiculous.  Maybe a scaling of the big 'CG' logo is in order.   Way too much wasted or underused space, IMO.

Carry on.  smile

I'm addressing that.  I will have the subSilver theme looking like the yin to subSiilver's yang soon.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: