http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 07:50:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever wonder if some games don't sell any copies at all?  (Read 957 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2009, 03:29:59 PM »

I was looking through the new releases and spotted a bunch of games I knew nothing about. Generally, these are Wii titles. For example, here's one: Geon Cube. There are no current reviews for the game, and I have never seen an ad for it.

What would cause someone to buy this game? It seems very likely that maybe Gamestop got a copy for each of its stores and it just sits on the shelf unpurchased. If I recall correctly, Madworld had very low sales, and it was promoted quite heavily, so what happens to a game like this? How much money do they wind up losing? With little advertising, not as much, but I wonder how much money is thrown away by publishers on shovelware.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 03:52:35 PM »

That seems familiar, but I thought it was wiiware for some reason. But yeah, it's hard to get attention on store shelves.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 03:56:05 PM »

In PS2's heyday, there seemed to be shelves and shelves full of junk nobody was interested in. I assumed that for Sony (or any console maker), the ability to say your console "has more than XYZ# of titles!" means that they welcome any title to the list, even if it has little mass market appeal.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 04:00:11 PM »

It would be an impressive feat for a game to not sell ANY copies, especially around the holidays. These games all look the same to adults buying gifts for their kids. I got plenty of head scratching games when I was younger. That's why to this day I send out a list of games that people should get me, just in case.  icon_wink

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 04:17:38 PM »

Makes you long for the "Nintendo Seal of Quality", doesn't it? smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 07:45:22 PM »

You'd be amazed at what sells to the unwashed masses, especially during the holidays. Also, a pretty piece of box art (or something that just jumps out at you) and good screenshots on the back goes a long way for whatever reason as well.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 09:12:44 PM »

If we can include PC titles, I'm pretty sure some of the obscure European titles I've liked over the years (the TBS game Odium comes to mind) probably sold like 27 copies in the U.S.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 10:03:54 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 30, 2009, 09:12:44 PM

If we can include PC titles, I'm pretty sure some of the obscure European titles I've liked over the years (the TBS game Odium comes to mind) probably sold like 27 copies in the U.S.  icon_razz

I think I still have my copy of Odium in a box in the garage.  icon_biggrin
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 03:22:16 PM »

Ok, technically if even one game gets picked up by Grandma for Gamer, Jr., then the claim "it didn't sell any copies at all" wouldn't be true.  slywink

However, there are still games that I've seen over the years, where I wonder "Who'd buy that?" or "Who'd knowingly buy that?" Then I tell myself that my own tastes are perhaps so singular that I can hardly be said to know what moves the gaming public - but even so, I'm no snob who looks down on blockbuster games, children's games, mass-appeal games: I'm just curious.

There are games in my specific areas of interest - turnbased strategy games - that I sometimes suspect sell only 3 copies: one to me (who'll be bored and disappointed by it), one to dbt1949 (who'll try anything) and JeffV (who won't like it).

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 03:28:32 AM »

Stop slandering "Virtual Basketweaver" dammit!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 05:24:55 AM »

Just today I read that Peter Molyneux's 1st game -a text based biz simulator- sold only 2 copies, and 1 of them was to his mom.  icon_lol 
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 09:45:10 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 03, 2009, 05:24:55 AM

Just today I read that Peter Molyneux's 1st game -a text based biz simulator- sold only 2 copies, and 1 of them was to his mom.  icon_lol 

Would that be good or bad if his mom considered it an amazing game?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 11:22:58 PM »

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on October 31, 2009, 10:03:54 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on October 30, 2009, 09:12:44 PM

If we can include PC titles, I'm pretty sure some of the obscure European titles I've liked over the years (the TBS game Odium comes to mind) probably sold like 27 copies in the U.S.  icon_razz

I think I still have my copy of Odium in a box in the garage.  icon_biggrin
I almost did a fan site on that game. My buds tended to just scream about the inability to fire in 360 degree directions (the game was I guess sort of chess-like and you could only fire in certain directions). Lesson from Odium is do not name a game with a word that means "hatred combined with disgust," because reviewers have way too much fun with it.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 11:41:46 PM »

"Ever wonder if some games don't sell any copies at all?"

Not really.  We all know they just bury them out in the desert...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

morlac00 on PSN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: