http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 02:47:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever heard of FullSail?  (Read 1759 times)
Bulletpig
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2005, 06:03:56 PM »

Has anyone heard of this school called FullSail?

It's located in Winterpark, FL.

My daughter is very interested in learning computer animation and has her sights set on this school.

I am just trying to find out if this is a scam/crap school or if they are legit.

Regards,
Pig
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 06:40:38 PM »

Well I know the school is legit.  I don't know all the details but they have been around for over 10 years with their various programs such as recording arts and stuff.  I can't say whether it's the best place to learn comptuer animation, but I think you can feel safe that it's not a scam or a fly-by-night sort of operation.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 06:52:00 PM »

I've seen them at E3 several times, I can vouch that they are real as well.  The caliber of their work I can't say....

Might check UACT here in Phoenix though, they are pretty good too from what I hear.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 06:54:04 PM »

Thanks for info.  I am just concerned for her because they are charging around $40,000 for an Assoc. Degree.

When you figure in that and plus the focus is so narrow in the degree it is concerning because of trying to find work.

Then if she ever wanted to go back to school for other stuff the Assoc. Degree is of little help.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 08:52:24 PM »

Right now there aren't that many schools that offer degrees specifically aimed at computer animation, etc., so those that do all are pretty expensive.  FullSail and Digipen (located in the Seattle area) are probably the best known. Both are really more like technical schools than regular colleges. In fact, I believe FullSail has students out with a degree in less than the normal 2 years.  While there are other schools beginning to offer similar degrees (check out art institute type schools for example), you won't save much by going that route, and the name factor for FullSail or Digipen might be worth what little more it would cost.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 07:12:59 AM »

I'd check into state schools with media arts programs.  Massively, massively cheaper.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 07:39:43 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I've seen them at E3 several times, I can vouch that they are real as well.  The caliber of their work I can't say....

Might check UACT here in Phoenix though, they are pretty good too from what I hear.

If she wants to do animation avoid UACT. They teach multimedia not art/animation. Check out Art Institute, they actually teach art.

Disclaimer: I received my BA from UACT.

LiveTAG: happydog
Aliasbuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 08:48:31 PM »

FullSail is one of the topflight non-university schools and they are legit.  I had a roommate that went there and they regularly have some major "famous in the industry" types teach classes.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 08:04:55 AM »

From what I gathered, they are legit.  Like others, I can't confirm how good they are, but they do charge a lot of money and it seems like they have some good equipment and people there.

However, I'm a believer in getting a more general degree.  Right now I'm working on an Illustration and Animation dual major and all my instructors say not to specialize too deeply.  Job markets shift, especially in entertainment related jobs, so having as many skills as you can along with a specialty is better than.

For example, I know how to animate in 2d and 3d quite well, but since the market is tough for an animator right now, I can easily do some illustration to support myself.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 03:05:14 PM »

The big question is has your daughter shown any artistic talent?
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 08:22:46 PM »

Beer Goggles - Yea she has the talent that is not a issue at all.  I'm not being bias either.  She is not the best I have seen no doubt but she does have very good raw talent.

Pig
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 08:27:19 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
From what I gathered, they are legit.  Like others, I can't confirm how good they are, but they do charge a lot of money and it seems like they have some good equipment and people there.

However, I'm a believer in getting a more general degree.  Right now I'm working on an Illustration and Animation dual major and all my instructors say not to specialize too deeply.  Job markets shift, especially in entertainment related jobs, so having as many skills as you can along with a specialty is better than.

For example, I know how to animate in 2d and 3d quite well, but since the market is tough for an animator right now, I can easily do some illustration to support myself.

Turtle,

What school are going to for that has majors in Illustration and Animation?

Also thanks everyone for the responses.

Pig
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2005, 02:47:52 AM »

Sorry to bump this back up but wanted to check back on a couple of things.

Turtle if your still around can you tell me what school you attend?

Also any graphic artist out there that can help out in recommending schools for animation or graphics?

Thanks again everyone!

Pig
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2005, 03:09:55 AM »

The Academy of Art in San Francisco offers animation and illustration programs.  Here's a link to their School of Animation and Visual Effects website:

http://www.academyart.edu/anm/index.asp

They also have Graphic Design and Computer Arts programs.  Worth checking out.  And a big thumbs up to you for actively helping your daughter pursue her goals.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2005, 04:54:56 PM »

You might want to check out Gnomon.  If their curriculum expands on some of their tutorial disks then it would be pretty impressive.

I guess I would recommend any progam that has some focus toward computer animation and not saying they do by offering a couple classes above their standard curriculum.  However there is value in having some standard art training such as scultping and photography.   I took a couple of classes in Maya as part of a Computer Science program and the stumbling block for a lot of the class was they learned the technical skills but lacked the artistic background to really create something of quality.
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 12:31:17 AM »

I'd say the best place to go is Academy of Art San Francisco. We have quite a few artists working here who went to that school.

Full Sail, on the otherhand, just doesn't seem to churn out very good canidates. We've had a few interview here and we haven't hired one yet.

Also, if your daughter wants to get into the game industry as an artist/animator, AOASF is a much better bet.

Full Sail seems to concentrate on the "whole game" picture of game development with their "game design" courses. The problem is, it doesn't specialize in any one aspect of the game development process, making their students knowledgeable of all aspects, but not really that "good" at any of them.

AOASF concentrates on just the art and the animation... thus creating much more effective students.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 08:41:17 AM »

there used to be a website called "fullsailsucks.com" with quite a few disappointing testimonials from students..  i'd be wary.

i went to Digipen last year - the art program there is very demanding (i was in the RTIS department, but have some friends going for an art degree from there.  most seem on the verge of failing out in their second year of the four year program.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: