http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 12:24:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever had a paranormal experience?  (Read 1090 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2006, 11:56:43 PM »

Anybody?

I've never experienced anything like that.  One night, about a year ago, I woke up with this HUGE pressure on my chest, almost as if something was forcing me down, sitting on my chest, and I couldn't do ANYTHING, I even tried screaming and nothing happened for a good minute.  I've been told that I encounted something paranormal that night, but I seriously doubt that.  I believe there's a medical term for that sort of thing, sort of like, you're still sort of asleep, even though your eyes are open. 

And I really sort of want a paranormal experience, because for the most part, I don't believe in spiritual "planes" of existence and whatnot.  I'd just prefer it not to be while I'm alone biggrin

But anyway, anybody here have a paranormal experience?

TheMissingLink on PSN
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 12:15:51 AM »

I actually read something on this awhile back.  It's a sleep disorder.  cant remember the name.  the scary name is something like the Witches breath, or something wierd.  What happens is, you are not fully awake, and your mind is still in sleep mode.  So your eyes can move, and your semi conscious but your mind is still in its dream state.  Frequently you will see things.  I had it happen to me once when I was younger.  I was sleeping on the couch in our living room, and had the same experience, but I thought I saw some glwoing eyes at the end of the hall.

As for a paranormal experience.  Hmmm.  Yes.  I went to Arkansas with a friend of mine years ago.  Wasnt the best neighborhood we stayed in.  Paragould, Arkansas.  We stayed with one of his friends, the guys wife, and daughter.  We got there very early in the morning, went into town, walked around by his house, he took us down by the big river out there.  Nothing special.  That night we were all sitting around watching TV.  It was a, umm...townhouse...isnt that what they are, when they are connected to another small house, and its two floors?  Condo, whatever.  Anyways.  While sitting there watching TV, I kept looking up the stairs.  Someone kept peaking around the corner at me, or standing at the top of the flight of stairs.  But everytime I looked it was nothing.  After a little while the guy looks at me, and asked what I was looking at.  I said, nothing I guess, I thought I saw someone.  he said really.  I said yea, out of the corner of my eye, thought I saw a guy up there.  He said come with me.  So I followed him up stairs.  We go up stairs.  there's two bedrooms, and a bathroom up there.  Not a stick of furniture.  closests were empty, nothing.  Only curtains on the windows.  I said how long yu guys lived here.  he said 3 years.  We sleep downstairs.  The guy who owned the place before us hung himself upstairs.  He said they had all kinds of problems when they had beds and stuff up there, so they just stay downstairs now.  Sleep in the living room, everything.  he told me that almost everyone who came over saw the guy.

I also had a friend who claimed she could see ghosts.  We went to visit a friend she had never met personally.  She had talked to her for years over the internet.  My friend was from England, by the way.  She was here for a month long visit.  Anyways.  We drove down there and we were eating dinner, and when we all finished we were sitting around.  My friend asked if she could look around the house, and I stayed and just talked with the other person.  about 20 minutes later, my friend appears in the kitchen, and asks the lad we were visiting if she knew someone named martha, or something like that.  The lady looked a little freaked out.  She said why.  My friend said she was upstairs in the drawing room, just sitting looking out the window.  the lady said yes.  I know, shes up there all the time.  Took us up there and explained why the room was set up the way it was with furniture.  My friend from england also mentioned that a older man was downstairs but didnt say anything, though he was not malevolent.

Now, I dont know if they are true or not.  But just what they said.  I also had a very good friend who insisted that his dad haunted the house he was in, which was his dads house.  Not so much haunted but sat in the workshop in the basement at night sometimes.  he said at times you could hear the machines going at night.  I have heard other stories but not from anyone that i would consider reliable.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 12:21:15 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on September 16, 2006, 11:56:43 PM

And I really sort of want a paranormal experience, because for the most part, I don't believe in spiritual "planes" of existence and whatnot.  I'd just prefer it not to be while I'm alone biggrin

Many.. Often..  I purchased this home from my Grandmothers estate when she passed (and she died IN this house).  Good god, she wandered the halls everyday and night until we had to rearrange some of her favorite artwork to her liking..  My father passed away suddenly in 2004, I was in severe grief, this was his childhood home, he walked the halls for 2-3 months after his death before he moved on.  It sure wasn't just me experiencing the stuff, anyone that came in the home, it was crazy at times, I would say something "Rude" to my wife, and my dad would pound on the walls and ceiling for 5 minutes until I apologized..  My wife would turn white as a ghost and run out of the house.. Ahahahhaha.

There was no denying it, even my skeptical friends that hung out here were like "WTFing" incessantly..  LOL..    Great stuff, I found it amusing to no end.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 05:58:19 AM »

I get Deja Vu constantly.  I'll vividly dream something and then one day I run into that area.  It doesnt' usually have any significant value but it happens nonetheless.  I used to think it was my brain interpreting and filling in the gaps to fit, but it happens way too often and way to accurately for that.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 09:21:12 AM »

Sleep paralysis.  Since the brain doesn't really know what's happening, and it's half asleep anyway, you basically have a waking dream that tries to explain what's happening to you.  I was lucky as a kid that even though it happened to me quite a bit, I didn't dream up anything nasty.

I also get deja vu, but I deciphered where I'd encountered such similar events before a few times I had it, so I no longer think it's paranormal.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 09:29:30 AM by Turtle » Logged
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 10:21:20 AM »

I have a theory on De Ja Vu, that has nothing to do with it being paranormal either.

I think it might just be sort of like 'brain lag'.  The message that its a now event is slow in getting to the recognition part of your brain, and instead hits a different part.  Maybe it skips a synapse or something, or just one misfires, or whatever.  I dont know.  I mean the brain is all electrical anyways.  Could it be thrown off by a passing car, passing through a strong magentic field.  A solar flare? 

I used to get De Ja Vu all the time.  I dont anymore, I dont know why.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 03:53:12 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 17, 2006, 05:58:19 AM

I get Deja Vu constantly.  I'll vividly dream something and then one day I run into that area.  It doesnt' usually have any significant value but it happens nonetheless.  I used to think it was my brain interpreting and filling in the gaps to fit, but it happens way too often and way to accurately for that.

I actually experience the same thing, but usually it's around conversations, not locations.  I'll remember dreaming the conversation, and actually be remembering what people will say right before they say it.

Pretty wild.  Too bad I never precognitively dream anything useful like lottery numbers...

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 05:59:55 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on September 16, 2006, 11:56:43 PM

Anybody?

I've never experienced anything like that.  One night, about a year ago, I woke up with this HUGE pressure on my chest, almost as if something was forcing me down, sitting on my chest, and I couldn't do ANYTHING, I even tried screaming and nothing happened for a good minute.  I've been told that I encounted something paranormal that night, but I seriously doubt that.  I believe there's a medical term for that sort of thing, sort of like, you're still sort of asleep, even though your eyes are open. 

As Turtle mentioned, that's a kind of sleep paralysis.

I can't remember encountering anything I'd consider paranormal... I either live a boring life or a very rational one.  Perhaps they're one and tha same.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 06:07:45 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 17, 2006, 09:21:12 AM

Sleep paralysis.  Since the brain doesn't really know what's happening, and it's half asleep anyway, you basically have a waking dream that tries to explain what's happening to you.  I was lucky as a kid that even though it happened to me quite a bit, I didn't dream up anything nasty.

I also get deja vu, but I deciphered where I'd encountered such similar events before a few times I had it, so I no longer think it's paranormal.

Normally I'd be all for trying to explain this but it is always places I've never been, and it has no particular relevance to why I'm there.  I could see if it was filling in gaps for a close approximation, but when you wake up and sketch what you saw in your dream down to window placement, and then find that it is your basic training building many years later, how can you explain that away?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 06:19:52 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on September 17, 2006, 03:53:12 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 17, 2006, 05:58:19 AM

I actually experience the same thing, but usually it's around conversations, not locations.  I'll remember dreaming the conversation, and actually be remembering what people will say right before they say it.

Pretty wild.  Too bad I never precognitively dream anything useful like lottery numbers...
at
I get a combination of what you guys get. I think a thought, well I'm wide awake of a situation, of some kind of place or person or conversation then sometime later in my life it happens. And it happens like exactly like I thought. Alot of the time when it happens, I have trigger of the memory and then I "see the future".

Take 2 days ago for example. My mom asked me to take a statue of hers to the basement and I placed it in the same room I work out in. Then my brain played out me lifting weights, and smashing the thing, then the conversation with my mom after words.

Then the next day it happened, and I was even trying to avoid the statue. And the conversation to follow was about the same.

One of the only paranormal things I've seen was it was raining really hard out at like 3am and me and my mom couldnt sleep so we went into the front living room just to look out the big windows, we have 6 big windows side by side in the front and drapes on each one, they are venetian blinds, each with its own seperate handles to crank the blinds open or closed. Well my mom pointed out that only one of the cranks was swinging back and forth well the others just sat still. I right away said well its probably from the thunder, but now that I think back on it, the thing was swinging pretty good, not like just alittle bit. And we both saw it.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 09:28:52 PM »

Knightshade, I've had the same experience, even matching up things exactly.  Then I realize that of course it matches up almost exactly, much of western civilization is based on the same templates.  I've been able to go back into my memory an pinpoint where I've seen such a configuration before in a completely different building.

In one instance, I was at my mother's office party in a kind of warehouse office building.  I got deja vu, really intense deja vu, until I realized that part of the warehouse was laid out like my father's old warehouse building, right down to table placement.

Never underestimate the power of pressure differences.  Small pressure differences of air moving over one curved surface (and thus going faster and having less pressure) as opposed to a flat surface on the bottom allows massive jet airliners to fly.  Ever try that trick where you create near vacuum in a soda can by boiling water inside it them flipping it upside down into cool water?  The air pressure at sea level is enough to instantly crush the can.

Now, before you think me a complete skeptic, I know for certain that things exist in our universe that cannot be percieved by humans in any normal way.  There may be a spirit realm for all we know, but for the most part, a large majority of a strange things we experience are actually just uncommon natural events that our brains try to figure out what they mean, but can't.  I suspect that a very low prercent of these experiences are actually any bit paranormal, and that if they were, they'll remain difficult to prove for some time to come.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 01:33:26 AM »

In seventh Grade I had a dream that I started dating one of the girls in my class, on top of that RUSH was on the roll the bones tour(i had no idea who they were at the time and the concert had not been announced yet) at the time in the Dream.

No lie 4 weeks later I start dating that girl, I didn't even like her! and Rush was coming to Richmond on the Roll the Bones tour. I had never even heard of them prior to seeing that commercial. I've had stuff like that pop up all the time.

I just recently watched a show about a man who made predictions as well as medical diagnosis by self inducing hypnosis and visiting some kind of sub-conscious plane. He was illliterate and had no medical experience, yet time and time again his predictions and diagnosis came true. I can't help but wonder if we slip into this sub-conscious plane he describes when we fall asleep sometimes. It's weird, but I am one of those that believe everything in the universe is connected in some way or another.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 02:43:08 AM »

Knightshade, I've had the same experience, even matching up things exactly.  Then I realize that of course it matches up almost exactly, much of western civilization is based on the same templates.  I've been able to go back into my memory an pinpoint where I've seen such a configuration before in a completely different building.

In one instance, I was at my mother's office party in a kind of warehouse office building.  I got deja vu, really intense deja vu, until I realized that part of the warehouse was laid out like my father's old warehouse building, right down to table placement.

Never underestimate the power of pressure differences.  Small pressure differences of air moving over one curved surface (and thus going faster and having less pressure) as opposed to a flat surface on the bottom allows massive jet airliners to fly.  Ever try that trick where you create near vacuum in a soda can by boiling water inside it them flipping it upside down into cool water?  The air pressure at sea level is enough to instantly crush the can.
Again, I'd be right there with you using your example, but this is something different.  The buildings I lived in for basic training had a small kitchen with a larger dorm stacked on top.  Think of a shoebox with a monitor box on top of it with a 'stilt' at each corner to hold it up.  Only somebody completely retarded would make a building like this as there was no water to rise above.  It makes no sense and I'd never seen anything like it, except in this dream, and then again years later.  I got off the bus and stood there, stunned, while my T.I. yelled at me.  *shrug*

Now, before you think me a complete skeptic, I know for certain that things exist in our universe that cannot be percieved by humans in any normal way.  There may be a spirit realm for all we know, but for the most part, a large majority of a strange things we experience are actually just uncommon natural events that our brains try to figure out what they mean, but can't.  I suspect that a very low prercent of these experiences are actually any bit paranormal, and that if they were, they'll remain difficult to prove for some time to come.
Yea, I'm not buying the ghosts and apparitions stuff either.  I do think that there are plenty of unexplained phenomenon out there, but I don't see a need to say "Oh, that is (God, Allah, Vishnu, my dead grandmother, the spirit of the guy who died in my house, etc.)."

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 03:25:18 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 18, 2006, 02:43:08 AM

Again, I'd be right there with you using your example, but this is something different.  The buildings I lived in for basic training had a small kitchen with a larger dorm stacked on top.  Think of a shoebox with a monitor box on top of it with a 'stilt' at each corner to hold it up.  Only somebody completely retarded would make a building like this as there was no water to rise above.  It makes no sense and I'd never seen anything like it, except in this dream, and then again years later.  I got off the bus and stood there, stunned, while my T.I. yelled at me. 

That wouldn't have been Sandhill at Fort Benning would it?  Almost sounds exactly like that.  But then, it would be "D.I." not "T.I.", so that has me guessing.  But the barracks at Sandhill were pretty retardedly designed.

Yea, I'm not buying the ghosts and apparitions stuff either.  I do think that there are plenty of unexplained phenomenon out there, but I don't see a need to say "Oh, that is (God, Allah, Vishnu, my dead grandmother, the spirit of the guy who died in my house, etc.)."

Most people don't, until they experience verifiable cases of it.  I dated this chick once, she was a freak, but her Aunt was a gods honest truth Psychic..  It was amazing, not random guesses or other odd bullshit, right down to the finest detail accurate shit - shocked the hell out of me as a real skeptic.  Honestly, that changed my entire view of the paranormal and I realized there was far more out there than "This".
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 03:29:16 AM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 04:43:10 AM »

That wouldn't have been Sandhill at Fort Benning would it?  Almost sounds exactly like that.  But then, it would be "D.I." not "T.I.", so that has me guessing.  But the barracks at Sandhill were pretty retardedly designed.
Lackland AFB.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2006, 03:26:58 PM »

I've been on a couple of ghost tours and never saw anything. I did take pictures of a tombstone in St. Augustine that supposedly had a ghostly presence by it. When I looked at them later, there was a red orb in a couple of the pictures. Before I could get excited, the orb turned green in the next picture. Stupid traffic light.

Back when I was dating my ex, I swore I saw someone in her apartment once. She had just accidentally whacked me on the sides of my head with her ankles (don't ask), and as I sat down on the edge of the bed to get my bearings, I thought I saw an old woman pass by the bedroom door, twice. I never had any odd feelings about the place, so that could probably get chalked up to getting banged on the head.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2006, 05:35:30 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on September 18, 2006, 01:33:26 AM

I just recently watched a show about a man who made predictions as well as medical diagnosis by self inducing hypnosis and visiting some kind of sub-conscious plane. He was illliterate and had no medical experience, yet time and time again his predictions and diagnosis came true. I can't help but wonder if we slip into this sub-conscious plane he describes when we fall asleep sometimes. It's weird, but I am one of those that believe everything in the universe is connected in some way or another.

That was probably Edgar Cayce.  Skeptics have tried, but no one has ever been able to successfully debunk Cayce.  What's truly eerie is that Cayce's predictions also indicate dire times ahead of us this century, especially in the first half.  And while he wasn't always spot-on with the timing, his predictions generally came true.  My dad's been a big Cayce buff for years.  So I have to admit that through a variety of things I've read about all pointing to big events in the next couple of decades (the next ten years in particular), I'm certainly wary.

My parents have both had paranormal encounters in a house we lived in while I was a child, and the interesting thing is that neither of them ever told one another about their encounters, but they told me.  Of course, that's probably because they didn't really ever talk to one another much. icon_neutral But the point being that I heard independent accounts from each of them later on, and I had my own feelings in that house.  My dad's accounts were the most compelling and disturbing.

We lived in a very small house, single-floor, compact design, two-bedroom (my sisters and I shared a room until the third bedroom was built; we were little kids at the time so it wasn't quite as inconvenient as it sounds).  At night, while my mom was off at school, and we were asleep, my dad would stay up until my mom got home.  Frequently, when he'd go back into the kitchen, he'd find all the cupboards open, or the chairs (heavy oak chairs) all upturned and sitting on the table (like you see in restaurants sometimes when they're closed), he mentioned a few times all the pots and pans would be lined up and stacked on the counter, weird shit like that.  This is stuff my sisters and I were too small to do, at least without a hell of a lot of noise in the process.  He never saw anything move, but the results spoke for themselves.  Creeped the shit out of him, and he said after the first time he saw that anything had happened, he wasn't able to sleep in that house alone anymore, only while my mom was there with him.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: