http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 01:09:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eureka - I Do Again  (Read 2113 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 20, 2008, 05:21:47 AM »

Uhm  wow, this was a great episode.  They even used the time loop concept and it worked!  Am I the only one still staying current on this show?

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 06:37:35 AM »

Just watched last weeks off the DVR..saving this one till the weekend or so.

I love it when The Sheriff and Stark work together.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 09:54:29 AM »

I'm still watching and loving it. 

I typically don't care much for the "groundhog day" type of episodes, but they pulled this one off pretty good. 
Carter's sister seems like a good character.  I hope there's more of her. 
And when Jo gets spruced up?  .... drool

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 02:25:11 PM »

I love Eureka.  The stories are light but fun, the lead actor who plays the sheriff has fantastic comic timing and comes across as less a "Sci Fi Original Movie Square Jaw Hero" than he does a regular guy stuck in a weird situation who makes the best of it.  It's one of those rare shows that has the right mix that keeps me coming back each week...

...now i'm getting out of here because i haven't watched last night's episode.  it's waiting on my tivo for me.   slywink

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 03:10:49 PM »

+1. Love the show. Technobabble done right (by having the main character confused by it all? Brilliant!)

Great episode, except <huge spoilers>
<seriously. Huge spoilers>
Spoiler for Hiden:
I think Stark leaving, due to him being the best character on the show, has the potential to kill Eureka completely.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 03:20:01 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on August 20, 2008, 03:10:49 PM

+1. Love the show. Technobabble done right (by having the main character confused by it all? Brilliant!)

Great episode, except <huge spoilers>
<seriously. Huge spoilers>
Spoiler for Hiden:
I think Stark leaving, due to him being the best character on the show, has the potential to kill Eureka completely.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't think he's gone for good.  Really.  It's a sci-fi show....no-one is gone for good.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 04:35:59 PM »

I'm totally in love with this show ever since I started watching. The characters are unique and likeable and I love the quirky sci-fi tech geekiness to it all. I like Carter and how he just takes everything in stride, despite all the craziness that goes on around him.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Eureka's homage to Groundhog Day. I love it. It's so funny that a silly movie like Groundhog Day would spawn so many imitators. Pulling the time-loop card in sci-fi shows is the easiest thing to do, the tricky part is explaining the mechanics of it all and wrapping a good story around it.

I was actually kinda of mad (yet sad) at the end when
Spoiler for Hiden:
Stark sacrificed himself and vaporized in the machine. Some may argue that Stark is too one-dimensional, that he's just a stiff suit with illusions of grandeur, but I really liked having him around to butt heads with Carter. His relationship with Carter and how he always puts him down, belittles and insults him is in contrast to Henry's "best-friend type" relationship with Carter and how he helps Carter with solving crimes and trying to explain otherwise complex issues in a way Carter can understand. The three of them really makes for a lot of charm of the show. I really hope they bring him back.

So weird to be emotional about a TV show, but I guess that's the mark of a good show when you're invested in the characters. Can't wait to see what they do next. Thankfully the Degree product placement has been toned down. I'm still half-expecting one of the characters to look straight into the camera during a scene to blatantly pimp the use of Degree.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 04:38:11 PM »

thumbsup

Love it.

I am really digging this season....they really do a great job of campy humor in conjunction with scary conspiracy type undertones.

Plus, Jo is hot.  Not Boomer hot but very hot.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 05:18:20 PM »

I saw Eureka come up on the screen while on my flight to Baltimore and, even though there was no sound because I was watching something on my iPhone, it still looked intriguing.  Anyone care to describe what this show is about?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 05:33:36 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 20, 2008, 05:18:20 PM

I saw Eureka come up on the screen while on my flight to Baltimore and, even though there was no sound because I was watching something on my iPhone, it still looked intriguing.  Anyone care to describe what this show is about?

Former US Marshall Jack Carter and daughter inadvertently stumble upon and become the residents of a small and ultra-secretive town in the Pacific Northwest called Eureka. Eureka is a haven for the best-of-the-best scientists, engineers, and researchers in all areas of scientific research and development, who work under the management and supervision of Global Dynamics (or GD), an organization responsible for the development of all major technological breakthroughs in the last 50 years, with the products of its research having been used in both commercial and military applications.

Jack, arguably the most average-intelligence guy in town with an IQ less than that of his own daughter, replaces the former sheriff of Eureka and with the help of a colorful cast of town denizens, he tries to bring his practical and no-nonsense street smarts to bear to solve crimes, deal with disgruntled scientists taking matters into their own hands, and research projects gone awry in a town filled with geniuses.

----

Speaking of which, if Eureka is supposedly so secretive and hidden, how are people like Jack's wife and sister able to waltz right into town with nary a peep?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 07:02:26 PM by spigot » Logged

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 06:51:58 PM »

Quote from: spigot on August 20, 2008, 05:33:36 PM

Speaking of which, if Eureka is supposedly so secretive and hidden, how are people like Jack's wife and sister able to waltz right into town with nary a peep?

icon_lol

yeah, i kind of take that whole part with a grain of salt.  I imagine the writers on the show decided it was way too limiting for them in the long run.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 07:02:18 PM »

This and BSG are the only shows i really follow. Eureka is a great show and this season has been wonderful so far.

Spoiler for Hiden:
i also don't think the starking is gone for good. i think next show will focus on them trying to bring him back. i watch on hulu and no cable, so i have no clue if the previews indicant that or not, heh. i was actually surprised to see he died though. i figured if you failed you would be just be charred, but being successful was all good.

as for jack's sister. he knew she was coming, she was just 3 days early. so the clearance was probably there.
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 07:12:16 PM »

Considering the nature of the show, I wouldn't be surprised that while they could let non-essential personnel in from the general public into a supposedly "secret and hidden" town, they would also have some sort of memory-wiping device like Henry had that would remove any memories that they were in Eureka to begin with. But wouldn't that also remove memories of any interactions and conversations they had while they were inside Eureka? Maybe some things are best when not over-analyzed  icon_wink

GD must be one hell of a facility though going miles and miles deep. It seems to get more massive with every episode, like one of the last ones where there's a huge sealed biosphere located miles underground.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 12:54:58 AM »

Quote from: spigot on August 20, 2008, 07:12:16 PM

GD must be one hell of a facility though going miles and miles deep. It seems to get more massive with every episode, like one of the last ones where there's a huge sealed biosphere located miles underground.

It's like the Hive....

great episode BTW- here's hoping the predictions are right.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 02:08:08 AM »

Going to check out this series now.  Sounds fun.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 07:09:58 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 20, 2008, 06:51:58 PM

Quote from: spigot on August 20, 2008, 05:33:36 PM

icon_lol

yeah, i kind of take that whole part with a grain of salt.  I imagine the writers on the show decided it was way too limiting for them in the long run.

General Dynamics is hidden, Eureka is not.  How else would Carter have stumbled across it in the pilot?  He had to sign an NDA to get through the bubble that surrounds GD. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
davidf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 03:29:19 PM »

I thought the pilot had him going into town as a result of the cloaking barrier falling. Maybe I mis-remember
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 06:46:42 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
I just realized that Stark was my favorite character. Always thought it was a great character and actor but I thought the Sheriff was my favorite character. But when Stark died/poofed/faded away I knew then it was Stark who was my favorite. There at the end when he drifted away and then Carter had to talk to Allison I had tears in my eyes. Damn that show. I think without Stark its just not the same show. There while he was gone for a while it felt off somehow. Now that he is gone for good its really going to feel off. At least they have Henry back. Oh and for Stark coming back i doubt it. Ed Quinn who plays Stark wanted out and has no plans to return. I take a little comfort in his character saying to Carter there at the end "See you around Jack" that maybe..MAYBE...he'll come back somehow in some form. Heres an article from a writer on the show that shows Ed wanted out and wont come back http://revealthescience.blogspot.com/2008/08/goodbye-nathan.html . I hope they are wrong. Its just not the same without Stark and Ed Quinn as Stark. Carter and Stark always ribbing each other was the best part of the show. When they worked together on something it was even better.

Sad..damn sad is all I can say frown Ill miss ya buddy.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 01:26:17 AM »

Oh I just watched itagain and caught a goof. In like the 3rd or 4th time jump from the end Carter says something to Stark about his ego being as big as the building or some such. Then in the final time jump before Stark does his thing he mentions his ego fitting in the building. How would he remember that? smile

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 01:44:08 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 25, 2008, 01:26:17 AM

Oh I just watched itagain and caught a goof. In like the 3rd or 4th time jump from the end Carter says something to Stark about his ego being as big as the building or some such. Then in the final time jump before Stark does his thing he mentions his ego fitting in the building. How would he remember that? smile

lol yeah, i said the same thing. and NOOOOOOOOOO about the link. the show won't be the same, just hopefully scif doesn't kill this off because once bsg is done i'd have nothing to watch.
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 03:00:27 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 24, 2008, 06:46:42 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I just realized that Stark was my favorite character. Always thought it was a great character and actor but I thought the Sheriff was my favorite character. But when Stark died/poofed/faded away I knew then it was Stark who was my favorite. There at the end when he drifted away and then Carter had to talk to Allison I had tears in my eyes. Damn that show. I think without Stark its just not the same show. There while he was gone for a while it felt off somehow. Now that he is gone for good its really going to feel off. At least they have Henry back. Oh and for Stark coming back i doubt it. Ed Quinn who plays Stark wanted out and has no plans to return. I take a little comfort in his character saying to Carter there at the end "See you around Jack" that maybe..MAYBE...he'll come back somehow in some form. Heres an article from a writer on the show that shows Ed wanted out and wont come back http://revealthescience.blogspot.com/2008/08/goodbye-nathan.html . I hope they are wrong. Its just not the same without Stark and Ed Quinn as Stark. Carter and Stark always ribbing each other was the best part of the show. When they worked together on something it was even better.

Between the rediculous Degree product placement and now this, my hopes for the show moving forward does not look promising, which is sad because I just recently became an ardent fan of it.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 03:30:37 AM »

Quote from: spigot on August 25, 2008, 03:00:27 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Between the rediculous Degree product placement and now this, my hopes for the show moving forward does not look promising, which is sad because I just recently became an ardent fan of it.

how you guys notice things like that? it never occurs to me and it's a lot better than covering the name up or something. watching movies and such outside must piss you the hell off when you see real names all over, huh? oh no, a tv show wants money. do you want to go out and buy degree and stock pile it for fear that suddenly it will become super rare or something? ugh, seriously. it's just a damn show. those ads in between segments serve the same purpose and are a lot more noticable in what they are do. besides, who the hell would just stare at the medicine cabinet?

i never understood how people get so worked up over little things like this. maybe lost is one damn commercial for hawaii vacations then. SO DONT WATCH THAT SHOW!
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 03:47:59 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on August 25, 2008, 03:30:37 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

how you guys notice things like that? it never occurs to me and it's a lot better than covering the name up or something. watching movies and such outside must piss you the hell off when you see real names all over, huh? oh no, a tv show wants money. do you want to go out and buy degree and stock pile it for fear that suddenly it will become super rare or something? ugh, seriously. it's just a damn show. those ads in between segments serve the same purpose and are a lot more noticable in what they are do. besides, who the hell would just stare at the medicine cabinet?

i never understood how people get so worked up over little things like this. maybe lost is one damn commercial for hawaii vacations then. SO DONT WATCH THAT SHOW!

Wow, sounds like you're the one who's all worked up. I find it annoying at best. Does it alone make me want to stop watching the show? Never said so, but thanks for the insightful commentary.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 04:05:59 AM by spigot » Logged

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 04:20:21 AM »

I find the Degree placements kinda fun. Its like a Wheres Waldo for me each episode. I look for them. They fit them in well. If it helps the show stay on the air then all the better.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 05:21:43 AM »

I never noticed any real product placement-  is it something that's just once per episode?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 09:45:54 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 25, 2008, 04:20:21 AM

I find the Degree placements kinda fun. Its like a Wheres Waldo for me each episode. I look for them. They fit them in well. If it helps the show stay on the air then all the better.
I figure if it helps the show stay on the air, it's not a bad thing.  And it does seem to be humourously blatant - I wonder if that's the intention?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 01:45:05 PM »

Quote from: Nth Power on August 25, 2008, 09:45:54 AM

Quote from: Daehawk on August 25, 2008, 04:20:21 AM

I figure if it helps the show stay on the air, it's not a bad thing.  And it does seem to be humourously blatant - I wonder if that's the intention?

Well that, and they've worked it into the storyline for the present season, with GD having a new corporate front. The only time it was painful was in the way Jack was putting it down at the start of every day in the last episode. No one holds deodorant like that.

Spoiler for Hiden:
It was funny seeing the person come out on fire while coated in Degree and being fine
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 08:16:04 AM »

Just went through seasons 1 and 2 of Eureka.  Great show!

I just started on season 3 and notice the shift.  I like it, and those new product placements are... interesting.  Thankfully they managed to fit them into the story instead of just throwing them out.  As much as it's selling out, it's also pretty tongue and cheek.

But, what happened to Callie in Season 3?  With the focus on Allison, Carter, and Stark's little triangle, and the show's clear need for extra money, I hope they just make her disappear.  If they'd just dedicated another episode to fleshing out her character it would have been an interesting dynamic, not to mention Callie's hot.  Tongue

I've got the season box sets in my buy list so I can show it to friends.

Sarah: "Good idea, stress is America's number one health problem."
Carter: "Aw drop dead."
Sarah: "Followed closely by sarcasm."
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:24:34 AM by Turtle » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: