http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 01:47:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Establishing New Gone Gold forums  (Read 6729 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2004, 05:49:17 PM »

I propose that we recreate them exactly somewhere.   I'm not saying that because I don't like this site -- this place is GREAT!

I just think that this wouldn't be the place for:

PC Games by name
Hardware help

Perhaps they could find a Religion and Politics spot for us here...but then again maybe not.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?   This site is for consoles...it's not the place for us to discuss our beloved PC games...
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 05:57:15 PM »

One could make the reverse argument, as well, but console gamers got along just fine at GG for quite some time.  Personally, if GG is dead (again, reserving judgment on that for a bit yet), I think Console Gold is the 'ideal' spot to land if they're up for it, and they seem to be.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 05:58:06 PM »

Quote from: "msduncan"
What's everyone's thoughts on this?   This site is for consoles...it's not the place for us to discuss our beloved PC games...

Knighshade and AgtFox have stated numerous times that PC talk is welcome here, and that they may even create a PC gaming forum. Heck, they even said they'll give us the black and gold colors. That's pretty accomodating.

The P&R issue will be the problem, but I'm sure it'll be worked out in due time.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 05:58:07 PM »

Actually, the site is for console games but the forums are open to discussion of anything. Hence the names, General Gaming, and Off-Topic. If you want to talk politics then keep it civil. Regarding gaming of any type, as the forums increase in size I'm sure Knightshade will take that into account so trust in management. smile Never thought I'd say that, but here it's good. Just chill for a bit man, I know the wound of GG rolling over is still fresh but all good things must come to an end (if in fact it has gone the way of the dodo). We've got a good home here, but we're not going to instantly tailor it to suit your needs. There are other colors and schemes available (heck, I'm jealous of Frog's Honey for her new one) so if you don't like the default, change it. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
SirReal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 06:07:34 PM »

Hold your horses.

We've not heard from Rich or Stephen yet.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 06:19:54 PM »

You'd be shocked at how often I play PC games.  If GG falls I'll be shifting CG's focus to include PC gaming.  That will probably include the front page as soon as infrastructure and manpower can accomodate.   Lets see what is what first...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 06:40:07 PM »

yea, i like it here.  If GG is truly down, they can accomadate us.  All they need is a P&R forum, hardware help and a pc game forum.  Of course thats the same as us staying over at their place and sleeping in their bed, its all good.

Besides, most of us play console and PC games for the most part I think.  Its all about the people.  I wouldnt be ready to decalre GG dead just yet however, wait till we here something official.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 06:59:07 PM »

Nothing but dissapointment will come from trying to recreate Gone Gold.  If it is dead, let it rest in peace.  I am moving on and creating a new e-life here.

edit - Bad grammEr.  :lol:
malchior
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 07:01:56 PM »

Quote from: "Beer Goggles"
Nothing but dissapointment will come from trying to recreate Gone Gold.  If it is dead, let it rest and in peace.  I am moving on and creating a new e-life here.

I have to agree with you there.  Though the absence of a P&R forum is hard to take.  slywink
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 07:01:57 PM »

biggrin

Thanks guys!  I guess it's settled then!   Console Gold is officially the Foster Parents of the Gone Gold children!

Thanks for the place to crash guys!   I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.   Gone Gold had become part of my life....
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 07:03:20 PM »

msduncan, are you proposing something that has to do with these "internets" our commander-in-chief discussed last night?  :wink:
austen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2004, 07:11:49 PM »

Just checking in.. *sigh*
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2004, 07:12:34 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
That will probably include the front page as soon as infrastructure and manpower can accomodate.   Lets see what is what first...

If that happens, keep me in mind - I have a bit of experience in that field, and find that I am needing a good writing gig.
jimbo
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2004, 07:25:43 PM »

Quote from: "Captain Caveman"
msduncan, are you proposing something that has to do with these "internets" our commander-in-chief discussed last night?  :wink:

This might be useful.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2004, 07:28:22 PM »

Quote from: "Beer Goggles"
Nothing but dissapointment will come from trying to recreate Gone Gold.  If it is dead, let it rest in peace.  I am moving on and creating a new e-life here.

edit - Bad grammEr.  :lol:

I agree 100%. If we can get the word out to as many GGers as possible, I don't see any reason why this can't be our new home. The staff here at CG have been nothing short of amazing in accomodating us here.
Zathras
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2004, 08:48:00 PM »

Quote from: "msduncan"
biggrin

Thanks guys!  I guess it's settled then!   Console Gold is officially the Foster Parents of the Gone Gold children!

Dad!

Cthulhu in '04!  Why vote for the lesser of two evils?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2004, 08:57:48 PM »

Dad!

OH the HORROR!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2004, 09:07:16 PM »

You'd be shocked at how often I play PC games.  If GG falls I'll be shifting CG's focus to include PC gaming.  That will probably include the front page as soon as infrastructure and manpower can accomodate.   Lets see what is what first...

Along with everyone else - I'd much rather see GoneGold return, but if need be I could add PC gaming support to our systems in under an hour. Then it's just a matter of staff people adding PC games, screenshots, links, etc to the database.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2004, 02:14:35 AM »

Heck, I'm finishing up a PC game review of Kohan2 for the forums right now!  I think most of us here in the CG staff still love playing PC games as much as our console games.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2004, 02:22:36 AM »

I was going to suggest this eventually, so I'll mention it hear first.

My concern is the traders forum. Plenty of people have some very nice reps, and they have earned the status of being a trusted trader. The problem with importing that info over to CG, is that not eveyone is using the same handle for both forums.

I'd love to see a separate web site devoted to trading, so that everyones ratings (both good and bad) can be imported. That way no matter what happens to any forum or web site, at least the traders forum is safe from disruption.

I'd suggest that the trader forum be only about trading. No other forums needed, and they'd probably be a distraction.

I'll even take it one step further, and say that if the GG mods wanted to set this up, and go make the effort necessary to make this happen, that maybe a 10 dollar yearly membership would be in order, to help pay overhead cost.

Just my 10 cents.

Oh, and that pic has scewed up the page. I'd excuse that, if it "was actually funny".

Tongue
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2004, 02:26:26 AM »

Translation of names and tracking won't be an issue.  It also won't be handled via forum updates forever either, we'll look at automating it into something a little more sleek and automated.  If we end up going this route, give us some time, we'll develop something very nice, trust me.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2004, 02:39:06 AM »

You seem very much in control of the situation.

I find this refreshing.

I'm not expecting or hoping for miracles, as far as traders forum is concerned. If you can pull it off, I'll definitely tip my hat to you, and no matter how it plays out, the effort to correct a problem that you did not create is very much appreciated.
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2004, 02:42:59 AM »

I for one hope there is no R&P forum here, the trolling and post whoring was getting way out of hand at GG.  Face it, everyone has their set political opinions, and nobody's going to change their outlook, so why bother? Add the problems listed above with posters like Dolphan, who was starting multiple threads of nonsense, and you get nothing but constant drivel.

This site is absolutely GREAT, I love to lurk and read all the gaming reviews by the CG staff along with the impressions posted by other gamers. The info is invaluable to myself and others, and I appreciate the efforts put in.

Adding a PC gaming forum would be great also, but a wait and see approach is the right one in that case.

Peace Out.
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2004, 02:57:41 AM »

It wouldn't bother me to see R+P flushed, but I'll not press the point, as so many people seem to want it back. I agree with you. Looking back on it, people are set in their ways. R+P seemed to become a game of trying to raise the other sides blood pressure. I really don't see the point, any longer, but more power to those that enjoy it.

I'd love to see:

traders forum
mmorpg forum
action forum
rpg forum
stategy forum (turn based or real time)
hardware forum
media forum (books, comics, movies, music, tv)

It appears that the Powers That Be (PTB) is working on some stuff behind the scenes, so I think everything will work out in the end.

I guess this can best be summed up by saying that if life hands you lemons, then make lemonaide biggrin
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2004, 03:42:33 AM »

I remember when VoodooExtreme went down, I believe that marked when I became a regular visitor forum poster to GG. At first I felt lost and it took a while to get a new routine going, but I did.

This is so much nicer a transition(if indeed this turns out to be permanent) because immediately there's a new place that is so welcoming AND so many have made it over here already.  Other than seeing a PC game forum and the old colors, I can't think of anything else I'd like to see.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2004, 04:01:07 AM »

Quote from: "Raven"
It wouldn't bother me to see R+P flushed, but I'll not press the point, as so many people seem to want it back. I agree with you. Looking back on it, people are set in their ways. R+P seemed to become a game of trying to raise the other sides blood pressure. I really don't see the point, any longer, but more power to those that enjoy it.

I'd love to see:

traders forum
mmorpg forum
action forum
rpg forum
hardware forum
media forum (books, comics, movies, music, tv)

It appears that the Powers That Be (PTB) is working on some stuff behind the scenes, so I think everything will work out in the end.

I guess this can best be summed up by saying that if life hands you lemons, then make lemonaide biggrin

Well I strongly disagree. For many of us, the R & P was not just a place to talk politics, it was a place to converse with friends. I think since so many here, are former gone golders, tradition says we should continue to have an R & P type forum here. For those that dont like it, dont go in there, but I know that many will cease to come here, if there is no R & p forum, myself included more than likely.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2004, 04:08:49 AM »

Most of my posts were done in EBG, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy lurking in R&P. In between the occasional trollish posts, there were many well-argued and enlightening discussions on topics ranging from evolution to the war in Iraq to the hottness factor of the presidential candidate's daughters. I'd hate to lose access to all the interesting perspectives I encountered in R&P.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2004, 04:15:26 AM »

Quote from: "Raven"

I'd love to see:

stuff

more stuff

How about a strategy website with its own dedicated forum?  I heard there's one around here somewhere.  There might even be a few GGer's around there. :wink:

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2004, 04:39:12 AM »

well, religious and political discussion flourished for years on the EBG board long before the seperate forum was made.  I don't see why that can't happen here

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2004, 04:41:35 AM »

It's the upcoming elections and the divisional attitude Bush and Kerry seem to make that prompted a forum division. I think post-election political discussions would get more cooled.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2004, 07:05:05 AM »

I would like a black and gold theme all the bright colors give me a headache slywink

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2004, 07:54:05 AM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"
well, religious and political discussion flourished for years on the EBG board long before the seperate forum was made.  I don't see why that can't happen here

Heck, some of us even liked it that way ....  ;-)
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2004, 09:48:31 AM »

Someone has set up an alternative which fits with some of the topics on GG

http://kcscene.net/notquitegg/index.php

If GG returns then no doubt it will go. However a useful stopping place for the moment.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
setaside
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2004, 12:39:14 PM »

Quote from: "Tals"
Someone has set up an alternative which fits with some of the topics on GG

http://kcscene.net/notquitegg/index.php

If GG returns then no doubt it will go. However a useful stopping place for the moment.

Tals
That was me.  It's hopefull just a very temporary thing at this point just to provide a place to talk gaming and politics, even though there seems to really only be 1 major subject right now. smile  It will come down the moment Gone Gold comes back up.  

Who knows if it's going to catch on though ... A lot of the gamers seem to be staying here and a lot of the political posters are going over to popehat.  Doesn't seem to be a lot of demand for both right now. smile
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2004, 12:47:59 PM »

I say keep it at the mo smile Whilst GG has hit these forums it appears to have given it a predominantly PC flavour.

Ultimately it will calm down and I certainly don't want to be reading Console gaming news or chat frown

I'm sure there is a place for all of the forums.

Tals

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2004, 01:07:03 PM »

For me its not about pc gaming. As it is spent most of my time in everything but gaming section. Its the loss of the community that I'm going to miss. GG felt like home. But if you guys want to start over on here I'll come along.

Ascendent
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2004, 01:15:55 PM »

Quote from: "Tals"
I say keep it at the mo smile Whilst GG has hit these forums it appears to have given it a predominantly PC flavour.

Ultimately it will calm down and I certainly don't want to be reading Console gaming news or chat frown

I'm sure there is a place for all of the forums.

Tals

There is a place for all, but I think too you guys have to appreciate that this site is made for folks who do want to talk consoles.  That's why I come here, anyway.

I like that the folks here are being so accomodating, but I would hate for the site to lose it's console flavor just because of the sudden rush to the doors when the favorite PC site went offline.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2004, 01:31:50 PM »

I'd agree, I think this site has been a great as a place for the GGers to congregate and those amongst them that play on consoles will no doubt stay. However the forums are ultimately to wide covering for me to stick around to long.

Tals

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2004, 03:37:13 PM »

Not to worry folks, the landscape will change and there will be a place for PC discussions and a place for console discussions.  There are plans to ADD PC, not to let PC take over.  I'll let a few cats out of the bag, all of which are based on GG not coming back of course:

1.) Expand the forums into pretty much what GG had, and seperate PC and console.  We need to evaluate some forums like R&P (it seems religion was the big offender for most people...maybe we trial run without religion?)
2.) Expand our backend database to encompass PC. (Have you guys looked at OUR Gold Guide?)  Take a sample: http://www.consolegold.com/GameInfo/game/1352.html
3.) (still in the thought bubble stage, need to discuss with Eldon) Work on filtering system to filter news for PC or the various consoles
4.) Hire staff to cover PC gaming news in a way it hasn't been covered on the front page of GG for a long long time.
5.) Restart PC reviews
6.) Restart PC previews

If we do that, we'll have a lot of work ahead of us, but I think it'll pay off in the long run.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2004, 03:42:23 PM »

That would be awesome...THANKS !!!  biggrin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: