http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 04:36:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Entire backlog of games gone...out the window!  (Read 1996 times)
Gwen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2005, 07:20:17 PM »

9:30 a.m. on New Year's Day.  I come home to find a broken window and my home burgled.   :cry:

The rats took my XBox, Game Cube and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY CONSOLE GAMES....in addition to the laptop, all my DVDs, digital camera, printer and a bunch of other stuff I haven't even noticed yet.  Apparently the thugs aren't into PC gaming cause they didn't touch any of that pile.

Anyone else suffered this kind of violation?  Man, I still feel rotten.  I know insurance will cover some (less the $1,200 deduction!), but it won't cover the feeling that I've been assaulted in my own home.  

Wonder what kind of "replacement" cost the insurance company will give me.  Bet it's less than half of what I paid.

I do feel lucky that my home wasn't trashed and that I wasn't home when it happened.

Guess who's getting an alarm system installed next week!!!

We can't all be heros.  Some of us have to sit on the curb and clap as they pass by.
Fellow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 07:39:46 PM »

Every now and then I look at my game/DVD collections, and wonder how I'd feel, if one day they were stolen.

In one word, ouch.

You've my sympathy there, man. And yeah, get that alarm system installed.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 09:10:10 PM »

Really sorry to hear that. I know what you mean. I kind of feel an attachment to my Xbox and certainly my PC. My sympathies Gwen.  :cry:

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 09:12:18 PM »

This happened to me this summer.  Not quite as bad as you, but it did wipe out my console game backlog (along with all my saved games).  We ended up getting my wife's laptop back, because a very stupid person bought it off the street.

Make sure you call the various places that buy used games and systems and let them know what was stolen - they should be able to keep an eye out.  Ditto for pawn shops.

It sucks though.  I didn't sleep well for weeks.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 10:44:41 PM »

I am a packrat and have a fantastic compulsion to collect things.  I know I couldn't simply get rid of them myself, but I often wonder what would happen if something horrible happened and I lost all of my silly baubles.  I have an unhealthy DVD collection and more console games than I will ever play and I am just thrilled knowing they are there.  I like to think my curse would be lifted if I had to start all over, but I am not so sure.

I can't imagine how I would feel knowing a punk broke into my house and stole my stuff.  Man, I am red with anger just thinking about it.  Good luck to you.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 12:12:13 AM »

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that Gwen.  The violated, pissed-off feeling will subside pretty soon though.  At least it did for me after my car was stolen from my apartment complex a few years ago.  I just kept reminding myself that I'm very thankful that I don't have to live a shitty life where one chooses to leech off honest people for a living.  Scum.

On another note I'm starting to get a little nervous about my games, movies and tech toys.  I really need to revisit my homeowners policy and a few new things on to it (my laptop and new tv for instance).  I should also look in to having an alarm system installed when I get my bonus this year.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 12:27:08 AM »

That truly sucks. That's right below someone messing with the kids.

Scumbags should get some kind of slow torture.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 03:41:20 AM »

Damn, that sucks.  Of course, now I'm having visions of my house getting broken into, and my collections getting swiped.  I feel a bit better knowing that without a rather big vehicle, they wouldn't be able to get everything, but still, it would suck mightily.  How much does renter's insurance cost these days?

Gwen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 05:14:29 PM »

Hey, THANKS for all the kind words and sympathy.

I decided the only way I was going to get over this trauma was to go into deep therapy.

So, with part of the insurance money I ordered a Dell Inspiron XPS notebook (P4, 1GB SDRAM, 256MB ATI Radeon 9800).  I feel so much better now.

I'll be SO cured when it arrives next week.  :lol:

(And the alarm system helps)

We can't all be heros.  Some of us have to sit on the curb and clap as they pass by.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 05:41:27 PM »

wow,

all i can do is repeat the general comment - "that really, really sucks!"  one of my favorite sayings that i (unfortunately) only get to use when something bad happens is "remember if it can happen, it can happen to you".  and it'll still suck just as badly.

are you in need of a console fix?  i have extra ps1, N64, and Dreamcast consoles - i'd be glad to ship one to you with a game or two (yes, free, call it a Piff).  i have extra ps2's, because i fix them, but Sony did such a crappy job making them that i don't ship them since i guarantee them.  i see you live in TX, and i'm in MA, so that's out.

i'm serious, feel free to write me directly at  [email protected], that's my best form of contact since i check it so often.

hope you feel better soon, regards,

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 06:16:30 PM »

What happened with this?  Did your insurance company handle it?  What are you doing about your console library?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Gwen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 11:47:14 PM »

Mytocles, I so much appreciate your kind and considerate offer of a replacement console and some games.  You're proof of my basic belief that most people are nothing like the selfish thieving rats that took off with my toys.

I will eventually replace my consoles, but I'm just going to take my time and not rush into anything for now.  I did replace my laptop 'cause I need it for work, but I may wait just wait to see what the next gen XBox looks like.  Game Cubes are dirt cheap and I may pick up one of those within the next month or so.

To tell the truth, I had about 6 or 7 games saved in one stage or another and I don't have the heart to start some of them over again.

But I do thank your for your kind offer.

Knightshade, I should be getting some figures from my insurance company shortly.  I sent in my claim for 38 games.  My insurance company, USAA, is a very reputable one.  I don't know what formula they will use to determine "replacement" value.  It may interest some CG readers to know what an insurance company figures their games and consoles to be worth and I will share that info when I hear something.

Of course I won't replace all the games.  Some of them were real dogs, but I image I will be able to replace the ones that I really enjoyed.  Thanks for your interest.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 01:42:53 AM »

you are entirely welcome.  like many of us here, i have more machines and games than i know what to do with!  i hate starting games over, too: here's the part where i try to cheer you up with a funny story (but it won't work, because it's so sad!) i was playing one of the Harry Potter games on my new XB when i switched to D & D Heroes for a bit.  the console froze and wouldn't load the game again.  i  figured out it was the console not the game.

the "Person with No Brain" - (no, not the movie, ME!) - returned the Box.   D & D was okay, i was still in the learning phase, but i'd been playing Harry Potter for awhile... and he went back to the store with the Box.  i must've thought it was a Gamecube or something!

i waited a month - for me, that equates to "oh boy, new game!" - and went back to finish Harry off, and found out that i was about 3 hours from the end.  so, so, sad...

thanks for sharing your story, lots of people are beginning to think about the security of their systems (and probably their families as well).  Good luck getting it all back together...

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
bobclay54
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 03:52:48 AM »

Well, I certainly can sympathize - I have a large PC game collection, which I keep in the basement.  Over Christmas, while I was out of town, a water pipe broke, and doused about 150 of my PC games.  Not a total loss I suppose, since the CD's still seem to work after a good drying, but the manuals and any other documentation such as quick reference cards were pretty much ruined.  I still get a sick feeling when I think about it.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 03:52:49 PM »

When I went through all of this, here's how it worked.  I ended up not actually filing the claim, because we recovered the laptop.

They asked me what I payed for games and when I bought them.  Then the initial purchase price got knocked depreciated (I don't remember the schedule).  That initial total would have been sent to me as a check.  Then, if I replace the item, I would send them the receipt and they would pay me the difference between the initial amount and the amount it cost me to replace it.

Make sure the manufacturer of the laptop knows that it has been stolen.  Apparently a lot of people are dumb enough to call for support on a stolen laptop.  Also, the police know to check with the manufacturer if it's not in their database.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2005, 04:09:58 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I am a packrat and have a fantastic compulsion to collect things.  I know I couldn't simply get rid of them myself, but I often wonder what would happen if something horrible happened and I lost all of my silly baubles.  I have an unhealthy DVD collection and more console games than I will ever play and I am just thrilled knowing they are there.  I like to think my curse would be lifted if I had to start all over, but I am not so sure.

I'd definitely see it as a blessing - of sorts.  At least for me - I've often thought about just getting rid of all my various media and focusing on something completely different.  I could build an awesome home studio if I sold all my games/music/movies, and part of me would much rather be creating, rather than using someone else's creations.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2005, 04:57:10 PM »

Quote from: "Chaz"
Damn, that sucks.  Of course, now I'm having visions of my house getting broken into, and my collections getting swiped.  I feel a bit better knowing that without a rather big vehicle, they wouldn't be able to get everything, but still, it would suck mightily.  How much does renter's insurance cost these days?

It's not much.  Mine is somewhere around $125 per year, and I'm sure I could find lower rates if I shopped around.  IMHO everyone should have it unless you really have nothing to lose.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2005, 01:05:26 AM »

I'm sorry to here this frown  I have a large backlog of PC games and I'd just feel like crap if someone broke in and stole them...or stole anything that I have for that matter.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2005, 09:37:06 PM »

sorry to hear that this was the reason you asked about the xps gwen.  

i had this happen to me a year ago, except it was my storage unit.  these guys were good, opening up every unit in 2 buildings (about 130) and taking the best stuff.  what they didn't take, they stored in their own locked units for a retrieval.  luckily, they never got that chance and the crime was noticed the day after they did it.  out of that, my wife and i lost 90% of our wedding gifts we had stored there, a large number of personal items such as old toys, and my entire pc cd collection up until 98 or so.  out of everything they took, we only ever recovered a few items containing personal information and a sleeping bag.  that's it.  that was also the last time i'll ever trust my stuff to someone else's storage.

good luck gwen.  hope they catch the guys.  they never caught mine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: