http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 05:23:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eli Stone  (Read 403 times)
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2008, 12:22:50 AM »

I'm making way too many threads here... This post is long and rambling. If you don't like reading long posts, I've clearly marked the portion you can skip.

/ramble on

Let me preface a bit by saying that I don't watch television. That is to say I don't watch it in its normal format. I do own a television, an older CRT, but it's got a bit of a vertical crash issue. Unless it is sitting at the right angle, the picture collapses into a thin line running across the screen. I can usually get it working properly, but it's a bit of a pain. To make a long story short (too late) I haven't had cable for about a year now. While I still own that television, it doesn't get used at all. I watch my DVDs on my trinitron computer monitor. It has a much better picture than that crappy tv ever did. As far as television shows, I have a few options. The major networks host their shows on their websites. There are DVDs released for just about every show now after a short time. And there are also *gasp* other methods.

The reason I'm rambling about this is that there is a downside to it. Or perhaps it is an upside. I don't hear about any new TV shows coming out. Or any movies. Ask me about a movie that came out in the last year, 80% of the time I'll have no idea what you're talking about. It kind of sucks, but at the same time, it can also be extremely awesome. You know that feeling you get when you watch a movie that a friend recommended to you, some obscure indie film that you've never heard of, that you know absolutely nothing about except the title? And the movie is better because absolutely nothing was spoiled to you ahead of time? That's just about every movie for me now. That is awesome. But at the same time, I'm missing out on knowing about lots of movies that I might like.

This relates to Eli Stone because I had never heard of it. I was watching a different show on ABC.com a month or two ago and when I was done, I went to browse their other shows. This one had just started, the pilot was still on the website, and the premise sounded at least fairly interesting. I watched it, and it was good. I wouldn't use the word "awesome" but it was good. And I kept watching.

/ramble off

The episodes are hit and miss, but you really can't skip any because of the main story arc, which is good story arc. The good episodes, though, are exceptionally good. This show combines comedy, musical numbers here and there, courtroom drama, and also good old fashioned regular drama. There is a bit of a spiritual aspect, but if you're not religious, don't let that turn you away. I'm not religious myself, and I really enjoy the show.

What I'm saying is, if you haven't seen this show, do yourself a favor and check it out. Unfortunately the only episodes on ABC.com currently are the most recent, which are the end of the season. I do also want to give you the warning that this show very well might not be picked up for a second season. It's still up in the air currently. The show is definitely set up for a second season, and I hope there is one, but if there isn't, I won't feel completely shafted. The writers of the show wrote the last episode in a way that if there isn't a second season, you won't feel completely lost and empty, like say when Firefly was canceled with no ending, among millions of other shows.

Heh. So, anyone else out there watch this show?
disarm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 01:12:40 AM »

i just happened to catch the premiere episode and watched it out of curiosity...and i was hooked for the rest of the season.  the premise is very unique, drama is interesting, and the humor is pure genius at times.  the whole idea is a little odd at first, but the show really hits its stride after a few episodes when they start putting together the bigger story arc.  it's a really tough show to describe to anyone, but definitely worth checking out...easily one of the best new shows i've seen in a while.  i'm really hoping they bring it back for another season, but i haven't heard an official announcement yet.  i'm glad to see i'm not the only one who really enjoyed the first season of Eli Stone though icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 06:00:29 PM »

I loved the show, and really hope it makes it back next season.  I was hooked from the first moment Eli ran around in his boxers, but that's just me  icon_biggrin  For the rest of you, there's also the Species chick AND a real cute second love interest for him to drool over.  If ABC were smart, they'd move it into a decent time slot.  I think it would fit great after Grey's Anatomy or Private Practice.  Ratings jumped tremendously when they moved it in the post-Desperate Housewives slot.

The show really gets extremely good in the last 4 or 5 episodes, I mean it really really hits its stride emotionally and in terms of story arc.  I won't say more than that in case we don't want spoilers here.  Hard to describe the show exactly, but I'd say it's a cross between early (good) Ally McBeal (quirky lawyers + visions) and Journeyman (light sci-fi/fantasy).

Oh, and for all you Angel fans out there, I'm pretty sure the main office they are filming in is the Wolfram and Hart set.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 09:30:23 PM »

Quote from: disarm on May 01, 2008, 01:12:40 AM

i just happened to catch the premiere episode and watched it out of curiosity...and i was hooked for the rest of the season.  the premise is very unique, drama is interesting, and the humor is pure genius at times.  the whole idea is a little odd at first, but the show really hits its stride after a few episodes when they start putting together the bigger story arc.  it's a really tough show to describe to anyone, but definitely worth checking out...easily one of the best new shows i've seen in a while.  i'm really hoping they bring it back for another season, but i haven't heard an official announcement yet.  i'm glad to see i'm not the only one who really enjoyed the first season of Eli Stone though icon_cool

thumbsup

It's quirky good fun.

Which of course means it will be canceled. 

morlac00 on PSN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: