http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 07:51:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elektra - $30 for the DVD?!  (Read 1565 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2005, 11:14:57 PM »

According to this article (http://dvd.ign.com/articles/584/584944p1.html over at IGN, the Elektra DVD will be out on April 5 for $29.98.
Since when have new dvds cost more than $19.99?? I hope this isn't going to be a new trend.
I was going to buy Elektra (can't get over the red suit) but not for $30. Usually Walmart has all the new releases on sale the day they come out for around $15 (then they go back up to the NORMAL $19.99 rate).

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 11:20:40 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
According to this article (http://dvd.ign.com/articles/584/584944p1.html over at IGN, the Elektra DVD will be out on April 5 for $29.98.
Since when have new dvds cost more than $19.99?? I hope this isn't going to be a new trend.

A lot of titles retail for over $20 - but they're usually discounted below $20 once they hit the store shelves.

I paid $40 for T2 when it was originally released in 1998...
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 11:24:41 PM »

Like Laner said, most DVD's actually retail for $27.99.  Most stores simply discount them the first week of release to get people in the store.  Buy them on the week of release or look online for a good deal.  If you look at the new releases on Amazon you will see the retail price below the sale price, which is often much higher.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 12:29:16 AM »

Quote from: "Laner"
A lot of titles retail for over $20 - but they're usually discounted below $20 once they hit the store shelves.

The usual retail amount for movies is $29.99, although they fluxuate quite a bit between the studios.  T2 was a different case since it was a DVD-18 (or 2 DVD-9s depending on which printing you got), which cost the manufacturer more to make plus they jammed in a lot of stuff into that release and raised the MSRP for it.

And yes, it is always smart to pick up a movie you like on the first week.  Sometimes you'll see sales within the month on big-name titles outside of the first week, but you can't always count on that.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 12:37:13 AM »

Every single DVD on Earth has a MSRP of $29.99.

(Well not every one, but you get the picture.)
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 07:13:35 AM »

i guess the bigger question is:  why or why would you want that train wreck of a movie anyways?   Tongue

warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 12:12:55 PM »

I'd watch it if they paid me $30.  Otherwise no.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 02:52:42 PM »

I imagine it will be in a 3 pack for $30 before the end of the year.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 04:33:26 PM »

I'm not buying it for the movie, I'm buying it for Jennifer Garner  :wink:

That's pretty interesting if ever new release dvd has a suggested retail of $29.99, never in my life heard that before.
Then again I've never looked at any preorder information, except maybe blockbuster that over-price their dvds anyway. (Usually around $22.99)

Whenever I go to Best Buy their new dvds are usually around $15.88 and then after a couple days they jump up to around $19.99, which I always assumed was the standard retail price.

In any case, I could never justify paying $30 for a dvd. $20 OK, but $30, that's pushing it too far.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 05:06:18 PM »

Man, I rarely see a standard DVD for over 30 bones here in Vancouver, Canada. The average seems to be about $25. Here's the Top 20 DVDs at Futureshop, if anyone cares to see our prices. Interesting to note that all of the titles are on "sale", usually ten bucks lower than their "actual" price.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Yog-Sothoth
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2005, 04:33:26 AM »

I'd watch it if they paid me $30. Otherwise no.

I saw this on Friday (work outing).  $30 is not enough to get me to watch it again.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005, 02:18:33 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Quote from: "Laner"

The usual retail amount for movies is $29.99, although they fluxuate quite a bit between the studios.  T2 was a different case since it was a DVD-18 (or 2 DVD-9s depending on which printing you got), which cost the manufacturer more to make plus they jammed in a lot of stuff into that release and raised the MSRP for it.

No, the one I'm referring to was even before the DVD-18 version... You're thinking of the "Ultimate Edition".  THe one I bought back in 1998 was expensive simply because it was the biggest title on the DVD format at the time (I assume smile )
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 03:42:42 PM »

I saw this on Friday (work outing). $30 is not enough to get me to watch it again.

Its that bad eh?  I was all over it until the reviews started pouring in...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2005, 04:07:50 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I saw this on Friday (work outing). $30 is not enough to get me to watch it again.

Its that bad eh?  I was all over it until the reviews started pouring in...

It's not especially bad, it just isn't any good. The story is blah, the acting is blah, Jennifer's outfits are blah, the bad guys are blah. I'd say the story is the worst part of it.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: