http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 07:49:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electric Kettle recommendations?  (Read 463 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 19, 2010, 06:59:11 PM »

We're tea drinkers in my house so we get a lot of use out of the old whistling kettle we have.  I'm looking to upgrade.

While researching which kettle to get, it seems that there's problems to look out for, which means I figured I should ask around for personal opinions.  There's stuff like these kettles imparting bad smells and tastes to water, or breaking early, and more.  I'd also prefer a kettle that's free of plastic parts contacting the boiling water, since I've read up on the dangers of BP-A.

Anyone have any recommendations?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 07:01:23 PM »

I got one at costco, I think it's just Hamilton Beach, but it is THE BEST appliance I've ever bought for the kitchen.  Seriously this thing is so awesome.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 07:44:40 PM »

Ones made by a Japanese company called Zojirushi are pretty high quality. Amazon carries them. Also, if you have any Asian supermarkets in your area, they usually carry them as well.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 07:45:54 PM »

I'd have to concur that just about anything Hamilton-Beach is excellent. Their mid-range to high end appliances are some of the best thought out ones in the market.

Also would add that you shouldn't have too much fear of plastic parts. Most anything like this will be BPA free, and you can check the packaging.

I am wondering why you have to have a kettle? Maybe I am a philistine, but when I want hot tea I microwave some water and then steep the tea. Am I missing something?

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 08:05:19 PM »

We have one of these.  My GF uses it multiple times daily.  It's been working great for the six months we've had it.  Holds a ton of water and heats it up pretty quick.  Adjustable temp is nice.  She's never complained about taste and she hasn't gone blind or anything.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 08:19:21 PM »

I like the look of this one...

LINK

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 08:25:05 PM »

We have a Braun electric kettle, although this particular one appears to have been discontinued.  I would absolutely recommend the brand, though.  It's been working great for years, always stays clean, and will boil a full kettle of cold water in about 2-3 minutes.

XBox Live:  JNacht
gangeli
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 08:46:17 PM »

my only suggestion is to get one where you can control the temp, since not all tea should be made with boiling water.  if you are that into your tea smile

toger
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 10:54:48 PM »

I have a Breville. Mine is not cordless, though. It boils water fast, shuts itself off and won't allow my kid to accidentally turn it on without water in the unit.