http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 11:42:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Billy Crystal to host to the 84th Academy Awards  (Read 3213 times)
Rumpy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 09:13:39 PM »

That's a stupid rule, then. At the very least, they should get their own category, but to effectively shut them out just because they happen to use motion capture is just stupid. The two can co-exist as they bring about different kinds of movies, just like different tools bring about different things, and they shouldn't be thought of any less. They're still animated movies made using different tools. It just so happens that Pixar and the like are more traditional. But as years go by, more and more animated movies will be made using motion capture. Will they be shut out too?? Shortcuts, my ass. That's like shutting something out in an art contest because they happened to not use a brush but instead used spray paint; in the end, two are still paintings with different tools used to make them. I can understand not wanting to award the likes of the Zemeckis motion captured movies, but TinTin is far above that and should be recognized. The people that worked on them didn't work any less than Pixar did in creating theirs.

I can see why this was done due to Cars not winning, as people were incensed, but come on, this feels like the other end of the extreme where something will not be recognized simply because it's motion-capture. Something needs to be done that will recognize both, not one or the other.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 09:31:18 PM by Rumpy » Logged
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2012, 10:00:33 PM »

Someone actually worried that Transformers 3 might get nominated for best picture? 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2012, 12:00:05 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 25, 2012, 10:00:33 PM

Someone actually worried that Transformers 3 might get nominated for best picture?  

Yeah, can't ever see that winning. Motion capture is being used more and more often to accent live-action movies, such as Rise of the Planet of the Apes  and Avatar and are used as tools. . But then you have movies like Tintin that are in a category of their own. The animation didn't recreate any actor likenesses unlike say Beowulf or the Polar Express, but it put to life some classic characters that wouldn't have otherwise been possible, and the motion-captured helped make it more realistic and add weight to it. To that extent, how can they say that Pixar style 3D animation is legitimate and Tintin is not?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:02:03 AM by Rumpy » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2012, 07:40:25 PM »

Animated vs motion capture. Smeagol wasn't an animated character - he was a complex photoshop, as opposed to drawn and animated. There was an actor behind it, and not just voice. Think of it as a computer-enhanced makeup, which is totally different than having a bazillion frames of animation.

In today's day and age the line is blended, but think of all the cells produced in earlier works (pre 1995) such as (random selection based on most recent movies watched) The Jungle Book or Secret of Nimh.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2012, 07:22:59 AM »

Well, that definitely puts things into perspective. But like you say, the line is blended, and motion capture is getting more and more sophisticated. In a movie such as Tintin, they've still got to make the scenes and characters, and then and only then do they let the actors animate the characters, but everything else is realized by those behind the scenes. Both heavily use computers, only they use very different methods to go about creating their world. I'm sure though that there was lots of resistance against 3D animation vs traditionally animated, though now that's all done by computer too. I think with the direction things are going in for motion-capture, that they'll eventually have to create a category to recognize the work being done. Otherwise it's simply not fair to those who've worked on them. They've got to have their place too.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2012, 01:28:04 PM »

Snow White, the first animated feature, was rotoscoped.  Meaning that, while hand drawn, it was done over an actor's performance.

It's just that the tools are different now.  A computer is still an artist's tool.  I could spend the hours studying motion capture software and completely understand it.  However, if you sat me down to make Gollum, it would look like crap because I'm not a great artist.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2012, 03:18:01 PM »

Look at Team America: World Police. Trey and Parker said they wanted to do a puppet animation because it hadn't been done in so long. They'll never do another one because it is such a long and painstaking process.

Computers are the path of lesser resistance, and while a movie like Tintin gets the short end of this stick, it would be better than SW:Episode One getting in because of Jar Jar and company.

Perhaps they should have a category for best VO actor and actress as well. Maybe Hammill would finally get an Oscar. biggrin
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:19:36 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 07, 2012, 01:28:04 PM

Snow White, the first animated feature, was rotoscoped.  Meaning that, while hand drawn, it was done over an actor's performance.

It's just that the tools are different now.  A computer is still an artist's tool.  I could spend the hours studying motion capture software and completely understand it.  However, if you sat me down to make Gollum, it would look like crap because I'm not a great artist.

Exactly! smile Hey, we agree on something. Good point about Snow White. I hadn't thought about that, and it's one of the examples most people have in mind when animation comes to mind, and like you point out, it shows that even traditional animation has used different tools to achieve their effects, so why not Tintin?

Hmmm, yeah, I'd agree on a category for that as well, Purge. So much good stuff that could be nominated.

Although I don't really think SW: Episode 1 counts in terms of animation. Sure, you have your CG characters like Jar-Jar, but it's not a fully animated movie as the movie is mostly live-action, so I don't think it could get in even if it wanted to. We're talking fully realized worlds and characters that have used computers to create them to create an animated feature. Like Bullwinkle says, tools are different now, which means the landscape itself is changing, and there has to be a shift at some point. I think we can all agree though that the Zemeckis motion capture technique should be used as an example of what not to do in terms of motion capture.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 07:36:35 PM by Rumpy » Logged
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2012, 05:14:05 AM »

Well, after having just seen The Artist, I do hope it wins Best Picture. Brilliant movie.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2012, 07:28:21 AM »

Sacha Baron Cohen is threatening to go to the Oscars as his new Character from his new film 'The Dictator',Oscar bosses though have told him that they would frown on that as there is to be no movie promotions at the Academy Awards

Link

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2012, 02:13:11 PM »

so,did anybody watch the Oscars?

I gotta say i enjoyed Billy Crystal a lot more than last years 'Hosts',even though he kept it mostly safe

what do you think about the winners?

I am not one to say that "didn't 'such a such a body' look awful",they all looked pretty fantastic to me...okay maybe Bjork looked a little bonkers as usual.....Angelina Jolie's legs were one of the highlights(although mocked by Jim Rash)
Spoiler for Hiden:

on another Jolie note,she looked a lot thinner than usual

Woody Allen won another Oscar,his first for 25 years since Hannah and Her Sisters

I kinda missed Ben Stillers usual act,instead he just presented an award with Emma Stone and remarked how his Rise of the Planet of the Apes costume could not be done in time for the awards

George Clooney missed out to Jean Dujardin for best actor

And what about Meryl Streep winning her third Oscar for her portrayal of Margaret Thatcher in The Iron Lady

here are the winners anyway

1. Cinematography: "Hugo."

2. Art Direction: "Hugo."

3. Costume Design: "The Artist."

4. Makeup: "The Iron Lady."

5. Foreign Language Film: "A Separation," Iran.

6. Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer, "The Help."

7. Film Editing: "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo."

8. Sound Editing: "Hugo."

9. Sound Mixing: "Hugo."

10. Documentary Feature: "Undefeated."

11. Animated Feature Film: "Rango."

12. Visual Effects: "Hugo."

13. Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, "Beginners."

14. Original Score: "The Artist."

15. Original Song: "Man or Muppet" from "The Muppets."

16. Adapted Screenplay: Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, "The Descendants."

17. Original Screenplay: Woody Allen, "Midnight in Paris."

18. Live Action Short Film: "The Shore."

19. Documentary (short subject): "Saving Face."

20. Animated Short Film: "The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore."

21. Directing: Michel Hazanavicius, "The Artist."

22. Actor: Jean Dujardin, "The Artist."

23. Actress: Meryl Streep, "The Iron Lady."

25. Best Picture: "The Artist"

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2012, 03:53:54 PM »

My wife showed me a whole page of people mocking Jolie last night.  Crazy.

The awards were fine.  Crystal was fine.  And, yes, that is way better than last year.

The only upset, IMO, was Streep over Viola Davis.  I actually had just said, "What?!  Her again?" when Meryl called that out on stage.  Can't be mad at Meryl Streep, though.

Oh, and Sacha Baron Cohen did come as The Dictator.  Ryan Seacrest wasn't exactly thrilled about it.

Gotta say, I'm not a big Idol fan, but Seacrest handled that impressively well.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2012, 04:07:01 PM »

A silent, black and white film won best picture? What a world.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2012, 04:11:33 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 28, 2012, 04:07:01 PM

I know, it's great isn't it!  At least one of the awards went to a deserving movie.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2012, 05:36:03 PM »

Angelina leg bombs

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2012, 05:38:13 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 28, 2012, 04:11:33 PM

Quote from: Teggy on February 28, 2012, 04:07:01 PM

I know, it's great isn't it!  At least one of the awards went to a deserving movie.

was there music and sound effects in silent movies back in the day?  Honest question.  I've never seen one.

I ask because the Artist had all of that, just no speaking.  To me that would mean it's not a silent movie.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2012, 05:45:16 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 28, 2012, 02:13:11 PM

here are the winners anyway

1. Cinematography: "Hugo."

2. Art Direction: "Hugo."

3. Costume Design: "The Artist."

4. Makeup: "The Iron Lady."

5. Foreign Language Film: "A Separation," Iran.

6. Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer, "The Help."

7. Film Editing: "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo."

8. Sound Editing: "Hugo."

9. Sound Mixing: "Hugo."

10. Documentary Feature: "Undefeated."

11. Animated Feature Film: "Rango."

12. Visual Effects: "Hugo."

13. Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, "Beginners."

14. Original Score: "The Artist."

15. Original Song: "Man or Muppet" from "The Muppets."

16. Adapted Screenplay: Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, "The Descendants."

17. Original Screenplay: Woody Allen, "Midnight in Paris."

18. Live Action Short Film: "The Shore."

19. Documentary (short subject): "Saving Face."

20. Animated Short Film: "The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore."

21. Directing: Michel Hazanavicius, "The Artist."

22. Actor: Jean Dujardin, "The Artist."

23. Actress: Meryl Streep, "The Iron Lady."

25. Best Picture: "The Artist"

hmmm, out of that list I'll eventually see Rango and The Muppets.

Quote from: naednek on February 28, 2012, 05:38:13 PM

was there music and sound effects in silent movies back in the day?  Honest question.  I've never seen one.

I ask because the Artist had all of that, just no speaking.  To me that would mean it's not a silent movie.

I think old silent movies had a guy playing a piano for music while the movie played on the screen, but that's it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2012, 05:57:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 28, 2012, 05:45:16 PM

Quote from: naednek on February 28, 2012, 05:38:13 PM

was there music and sound effects in silent movies back in the day?  Honest question.  I've never seen one.

I ask because the Artist had all of that, just no speaking.  To me that would mean it's not a silent movie.

I think old silent movies had a guy playing a piano for music while the movie played on the screen, but that's it.

CeeKay is right, but when you see a silent movie now (on DVD, for instance), it is accompanied by a soundtrack.

However, the story of Chaplin's City Lights is a close parallel to The Artist, except in that the gamble worked.  Chaplin sank a crazy amount of his own money into City Lights at a time when talkies ruled and silents were thought dead.  It was considered a silent, but there were sound effects and a soundtrack.

There's also Silent Movie, which also had dialogue (well, one line from Marcel Marceau).

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2012, 06:09:15 PM »

My intention was to not watch any on the ceremony, but when my better half insisted on it I did catch the last half. I agree it was much better than any recent years.

I'm actually suprised the Academy awarded Streep best Female Actor, considering she was playing one of Britains' most beloved/hated figures she's a shoe-in to win the same at the BAFTA's. Not to mention this year there were equally great performances by other female actors. I did like her speech though - a very classy lady. I didn't mind The Artist and it's cast and crew winning as much as they did, but I do think best actor really should have gone to Oldman for his truly great portrayal of George Smiley.

My favorite moment was when Portman intro'd Oldman's nomination and commented that she couldn't believe its was his 1st . It was a sweet moment, as he supurbly played the key antagonist in her very 1st film; Leon the Proffesional. It was sweet emotionaly, but to me coming from a new gen actress it was also sweet because it was a sort of "what the fucks wrong with you Academy?" comment. I'm hoping Portman's gen can right the nonsense the Academy has become, but no doubt that will prove to be too much wishful thinking.

[Edit] lol about Woody Allen winning best original screenplay, and not bothering to show up yet again.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:13:58 PM by kronovan » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2012, 06:11:35 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 28, 2012, 06:09:15 PM

I'm hoping Portman's gen can right the nonsense the Academy has become, but no doubt that will prove to be too much wishful thinking.

doubtful.  the oscars are 75 percent box office, 15 percent whatever the Weinstein's made and 10 percent whatever Streep was in.  While I'm glad the Artist did well, it does little to restore my faith in the integrity of the award.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2012, 07:09:40 PM »

Are there any interstitial cards with text on them in The Artist, or is it all just sound?

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2012, 07:16:19 PM »

no cards.  why do you ask?

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2012, 07:24:51 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 28, 2012, 07:16:19 PM

no cards.  why do you ask?

Just because that would make it like a real olde-tyme silent film. I was wondering if that's what they were going for.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2012, 07:27:19 PM »

There were absolutely cards.

A friend of mine had a line.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2012, 07:29:01 PM »

I think they were shooting for more of a homage to that era instead of creating an exact copy.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2012, 07:33:08 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 28, 2012, 07:27:19 PM

There were absolutely cards.

A friend of mine had a line.

Ah, my mistake.  I haven't had a chance to see it but had read they did not include interstitial cards.  I'm planning on seeing it as soon as it hits video.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 29, 2012, 04:29:53 AM »

I loved The Artist, so I'm glad to see it won Best Picture. Everyone needs to see if it they can. Simply a wonderful movie. First movie in a long time where I felt it deserved a win.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 29, 2012, 01:13:43 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on February 29, 2012, 04:29:53 AM

I loved The Artist, so I'm glad to see it won Best Picture. Everyone needs to see if it they can. Simply a wonderful movie. First movie in a long time where I felt it deserved a win.

The Hurt Locker didn't do it for you, or Slumdog Millionaire or The Departed?

Sofar they're on a "at least once every other year" pattern for me, although I loved both Crash and  million dollar baby.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 29, 2012, 05:25:08 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 29, 2012, 01:13:43 PM

Actually of those, only The Departed did it for me in terms of best picture, although I did enjoy watching all of them - Hurt Locker the least.  For me, in those other 2 years there were better pictures some of which didn't even get nominated. I find myself rarely agreeing with the Academy on their choices. When I look back over the past decades' winners  I'd only agree with The Departed, Million Dollar Baby and LotR Return of the King.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:34:51 PM by kronovan » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 29, 2012, 08:38:35 PM »

I quite enjoyed The Artist too and find it a shame so many people can't overcome a bias towards black and white or silent movies, or for that matter, foreign movies with subtitles. Couldn't even get my mom to see The Artist because she's close-minded about that. I think she'd love it, including the movie's sparse on-screen dialogue (done in large letters, not tiny subtitles).

While I'm no expert on silent movies, I know lots of my favorite films were in b/w, including say, Red River, From Here to Eternity, Psycho, Night of the Living Dead, and a bit more recently Raging Bull and The Elephant Man.

She and I loved The Descendants. Even if you dislike George Clooney, I think most would enjoy his portrayal of a flawed character trying to better himself, in often funny ways. I don't begrudge The Artist its awards but think there would've been a more interesting mix of award winners if The Artist hadn't come out this year and built so much momentum in other awards shows.

I think she's willing to see Hugo now, cause she liked the excerpts of it but it's only playing in a few theaters here in Virginia now. I didn't expect it to grab so many technical awards.

I might try to catch A Separation, which won for best Foreign Film (no longer eligible for the main Best Picture awards). While it's certainly not "the feel good movie of the summer," it's gotten many positive reviews and Ebert gave it his vote as best picture of the year.

I try not to fume about what does or doesn't win Oscars anymore. Who cares? Would Star Wars (1977), Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) or The Fugitive (1993) be any better remembered now if they'd won Best Picture? Really doesn't matter. It's not a poll. It's not "what movie did Blackjack most enjoy" (obviously Captain America wasn't going to be nominated  icon_razz). What I do sometimes enjoy is getting ideas from the nominees on what films to catch either at 2nd run theaters or on DVD to see what I missed.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 29, 2012, 08:46:51 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 29, 2012, 01:13:43 PM

Quote from: Rumpy on February 29, 2012, 04:29:53 AM

Sofar they're on a "at least once every other year" pattern for me, although I loved both Crash and  million dollar baby.

Haven't seen Hurt Locker yet, so can't say. Have Slumdog Millionaire on DVD it was good, but I didn't feel it was as great as it was hyped. I'll say one thing, the DVD transfer is amazing.  I think I've seen The Departed, but I'm not sure. I did love Million Dollar Baby. For the most part though, a lot of wins I simply don't agree with. I watch them or try to watch them and they often just don't engage me. I think I'm more of a fan of strong narratives, including movies that adapted from novels. The Artist was simply delightful. It made me smile in such a way that hasn't happened for quite sometime in a movie, and that's what I mean. Had a lot of heart to it that I feel is missing in a lot of movies. An example of a movie that I didn't get was Adaptation, which I just thought was too fucking weird. I dislike movies that are weird for the sake of being weird. Tree of Life was on the night before the Oscars, made it 15 minutes before turning it off and switched it to Midnight Cowboy which I also thought was weird. Watched it anyway because I was bored.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:52:18 PM by Rumpy » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2012, 08:51:04 PM »

Jean Dujardin is an amazing actor.  He can be both comedic and serious in the space of a heartbeat.  He really does come across as the George Clooney of France.  I hyped it elsewhere, but if you have netflix streaming you owe it to yourself to check out his OSS 117 series of films.  There are two entries and they're both quite funny. 

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2012, 08:55:16 PM »

From certain angles, he kind of looks like Bruce Campbell. Saw him in an interview the day after the Oscars and I thought it was an uncanny resemblance at times. It was the way he grinned. And oh god, is Bérénice Bejo aka Peppy Miller gorgeous or what? She's such a cutie. I think I have a new crush biggrin
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:58:42 PM by Rumpy » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2012, 09:04:43 PM »

She's in the first OSS 117 film and that's where I fell for her...

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2012, 11:59:29 PM »

Those are waiting in my queue for a time when my wife can actually watch it.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2012, 12:16:33 AM »

Neat...I didn't realize this but after checking IMDB I found out that the director of The Artist also directed the OSS 117 films. 

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2012, 12:31:18 AM »

Oh, I see they're both in that. Awesome. I'll have something to look forward to.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2012, 01:29:03 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on February 29, 2012, 08:55:16 PM

From certain angles, he kind of looks like Bruce Campbell. Saw him in an interview the day after the Oscars and I thought it was an uncanny resemblance at times. It was the way he grinned. And oh god, is Bérénice Bejo aka Peppy Miller gorgeous or what? She's such a cutie. I think I have a new crush biggrin

I guess....

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2012, 01:30:15 PM »

Having watched Machine Gun Preacher, it amazes me that it wasn't nominated for anything.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2012, 02:30:31 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on February 29, 2012, 08:55:16 PM

its when i saw the clip of The Artist(while watching the Oscars) where she is doing a little jiggle for i think an audition in the film,i thought very cute and sexy ..i want to see The Artist now just for her

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: