http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 08:01:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Billy Crystal to host to the 84th Academy Awards  (Read 3170 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2011, 12:52:07 PM »

Sky News

Actor and comedian Eddie Murphy is to host the 84th annual Academy Awards, returning the Oscars to comedic roots.

In the tradition of Bob Hope and Johnny Carson, and later Billy Crystal, Steve Martin and Whoopi Goldberg the reclusive star has agreed to the gig.

The last comic to host the show alone was Jon Stewart in 2008.

A singing, dancing Hugh Jackman took over in 2009, and in recent years, pairs of actors have been at the helm.

This is Murphy's first time hosting the Academy Awards.

In a statement, he said he is "enormously honoured" to join the ranks of Oscar hosts.

Oscars producer Brett Ratner and Murphy worked together on their latest film, Tower Heist, and the idea of hosting the ceremony was casually floated.

Ratner said: "Eddie said, 'wow, that would be a brilliant idea for you and me to do the Oscars together'. I was like, 'are you serious?'"

Ratner called Murphy "one of the greatest and most influential live performers ever" and cited him as an inspiration for his film-making career.

Murphy's stint as Oscar host marks a return to the single-host format the show has employed most often over the past two decades.

Pairs of actors hosted the last two Oscar shows: Anne Hathaway and James Franco this year and Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin in 2010.

The producers said Murphy will likely select a writing team and contribute his own jokes and material to the Oscar show, set for February 26, 2012, at the Kodak Theatre.

Although i am glad that they have gone back to the comedian hosting,i would still rather have Steve Martin or Billy Crystal,but who knows maybe Murphy can bring back some of the live stand up that he was so great at in the 80s
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:08:07 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 01:14:02 PM »

I just hope he doesn't bring a transvestite on stage and then start a fight with her.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 01:30:24 PM »

This could be a very smart choice.

I just hope Eddie gives it the attention he should.  If he half-asses it, it's not going to help him or the show.  He needs it, certainly, I just hope he's aware of that fact.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 01:33:01 PM »

The guy's been raking it in with the Disney style films for the last decade.  He doesn't need the cash, that's for sure. 

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 01:46:15 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 07, 2011, 01:14:02 PM

I just hope he doesn't bring a transvestite on stage and then start a fight with her.

Actually, I think that would be epic!

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 03:42:42 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 07, 2011, 01:33:01 PM

The guy's been raking it in with the Disney style films for the last decade.  He doesn't need the cash, that's for sure. 

Near as I can tell, the last Disney film he made was the Haunted Mansion flop in 2003.  Unless the flop Norbit was Disney, too.

He probably has some scratch from playing Donkey, but he needs the cred desparately.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 04:31:25 PM »

I said Disney style, which means the kid friendly stuff.  Shrek, Daddy Day Care, etc..  He's made a killing off those.  I have a feeling he doesn't need to work if he doesn't want to.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 04:38:31 PM »

His last film was the lame-ass kid comedy 'Imagine That'. Yes, he's been skating by on Disney and Shrek checks for over a decade now. He finally has some live-action films coming out, and I hope this Awards gig might be the comeback Eddie Murphy needs. We want the Eddie Murphy from the 80s back, goddamnit!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 05:15:45 PM »

"If we suggest a hack director [Brett Ratner] and a decades-washed up comedic actor/stand up comedian [Eddie Murphy] be in charge of the Oscars this year, do they think they'll buy it?"
"This is Hollywood! They'll buy anything!"
 Bring your own!

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 05:17:12 PM »

Seems like a cheap way for Eddie and Brett Ratner to promote their new upcoming movie Tower Heist (?) or whatever it's called (with Ben Stiller).  Free publicity, wheeee!  The movie does look pretty funny though, I have to admit.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 05:26:02 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on September 07, 2011, 05:17:12 PM

Seems like a cheap way for Eddie and Brett Ratner to promote their new upcoming movie Tower Heist (?) or whatever it's called (with Ben Stiller).  Free publicity, wheeee!  The movie does look pretty funny though, I have to admit.

I didn't even see the connection until you pointed it out.  So much for integrity. 

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 05:39:47 PM »

Man, remember when Eddie Murphy was all edges and hardcore standup? He was a blast back then - He's mellowed quite a bit since then.

I'd much rather have the old Eddie M. than the new one doing this.

A new one
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 07:57:27 PM »

Oops...  Roll Eyes

Eddie Murphy quits as Oscars host
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/tv-column/post/eddie-murphy-quits-as-oscars-host/2011/11/09/gIQAc9us5M_blog.html?hpid=z4

*This after his Heist director Brett Ratner stuck his foot in his mouth repeatedly recently (not for the first time) and got booted off the show. It makes me feel better about all our bashing of Brett Ratner movies. He's not just a lousy hack director... he's a complete a**hole too.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 03:30:39 AM »

wow,you said it,Ratner sounds like a complete turd...but something good has come of it anyway

I voted for Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin to host at the end of that article,I can't see Russell Brand wanting to do it,or people in America wanting him to do it,I doubt Ricky Gervais would do it..i wouldn't mind seeing Steve Carrell though

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 04:33:19 AM »

I hear Joe Paterno is free.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 09:32:12 PM »

Gervais 'offers' to do Oscars

when talking about doing the Globes again and then being told Murphy had quit as Oscar presenter
"I'll do that as well. I'll be in town anyway for the Globes," he said, laughing. "Two-for-one offer. I can knock off 20 percent. Two-for-one deal. I'll just stay up there."

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 01:06:38 AM »

its BILLY CRYSTAL!!!

Billy Crystal will host the Oscars in February 2012, TheWrap has learned.

The veteran, much-beloved comedian, who has hosted the Oscars eight times, was hired by the new producer for the telecast, Brian Grazer, on Thursday, said an individual close to the process. He replaces Eddie Murphy, who withdrew on Wednesday.

Bing: Oscar hosts over the years

Crystal confirmed it with a tweet: "Am doing the Oscars so the young woman in the pharmacy will stop asking my name when I pick up my prescriptions. Looking forward to the show."

I am very pleased with this and can't wait
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:08:29 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 02:46:38 PM »

so here are the Nominations

http://oscar.go.com/nominees/

Actress in a Supporting Role
Bérénice Bejo, “The Artist”
Jessica Chastain, “The Help”
Janet McTeer, “Albert Nobbs”
Octavia Spencer, “The Help”
Melissa McCarthy, "Bridesmaids:

Actor in a Leading Role
Damien Bichir, "A Better Life"
George Clooney, “The Descendants”
Jean Dujardin, “The Artist”
Gary Oldman, “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy”
Brad Pitt, “Moneyball”

Actor in a Supporting Role
Kenneth Branagh, “My Week with Marilyn”
Jonah Hill, “Moneyball”
Nick Nolte, “Warrior”
Christopher Plummer, “Beginners”
Max von Sydow, "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"

Actress in a Leading Role
Glenn Close, “Albert Nobbs”
Viola Davis, “The Help”
Rooney Mara, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
Meryl Streep, “The Iron Lady”
Michelle Williams, “My Week with Marilyn”

Music (Original Score)
John Williams-"The Adventures of Tintin"
Ludovic Bource-"The Artist"
Howard Shore-"Hugo"
Alberto Iglesias-"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"
John Williams-"War Horse"

Directing
Michel Hazanavicius, “The Artist”
Alexander Payne, “The Descendants”
Martin Scorsese, “Hugo”
Woody Allen, “Midnight in Paris”
Terrence Malick, “The Tree of Life”

Writing (Original Screenplay)
Michel Hazanavicius, “The Artist”
Annie Mumolo and Kristin Wiig, "Bridesmaids"
J.C. Chandor, "Margin Call"
Woody Allen, “Midnight in Paris”
Asghar Faradi, "A Separation"

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon, and Jim Rash, “The Descendants”
John Logan, “Hugo”
George Clooney, Grant Heslov, and Beau Willimon, "The Ides of March"
Aaron Sorkin and Steve Zaillian, “Moneyball”
Bridget O’Connor and Peter Straughan, “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy”       

Best Picture
“War Horse”
“The Artist”
“Moneyball”
“The Descendants”
“The Tree of Life”
“Midnight in Paris”
“The Help”
“Hugo”
"Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"

there are lots more of course,but those are the important ones Tongue...full list in the link

I guess its a Brit thing because it's sad to see "Tinker Tailor" not be in the best picture,as i do wish it well even though i have not seen it and i have a bit of a man crush on Kenneth Brannagh so i am hoping he wins best supporting for "My Week With Marilyn",but don't mind who wins that category some good actors in there....and Jonah Hill,but like to see Gary Oldman win for best actor for Tinker Tailor(again even though not seen the film yet)..but George Clooney is favourite for that

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 02:53:53 PM »

And once again the Oscars prove it's not about being good, it's about the box office.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is a phenomenal film, by the way.  It's VERY slow (so slow that when they finally reveal the answer to the film's mystery, you'll probably not even notice it at first) and you really, really need to pay attention or you'll miss some vital info, but man is it both well acted and well paced.  It's definitely a thinking man's spy film.

I thought The Artist was a french film?  I know it's silent so "Best Foreign Language Film" doesn't technically apply, but I thought it would still be in that category.

edit:  whoa, Dean Pelton is nominated for an oscar for best adapted screenplay?  icon_eek  

nice...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:14:21 PM by hepcat » Logged

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 03:13:05 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 24, 2012, 02:53:53 PM

And once again the Oscars prove it's not about being good, it's about the box office.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is a phenomenal film, by the way.  It's VERY slow (so slow that when they finally reveal the answer to the film's mystery, you'll probably not even notice it at first) and you really, really need to pay attention or you'll miss some vital info, but man is it both well acted and well paced.  It's definitely a thinking man's spy film.

I thought The Artist was a french film?  I know it's silent so "Best Foreign Language Film" doesn't technically apply, but I thought it would still be in that category.

I just know John Goodman was in it,so i just presumed it was an American film

thanks for the Tinker Tailor info,its my birthday on Friday and i always go to the cinema,i want to see Sherlock Holmes 2,but have a funny feeling that its finished its run now,so if Tinker Tailor is still playing i will try and catch that

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 03:34:04 PM »

Foreign Films can still be nominated for Best Picture (as in the case of Life Is Beautiful).  Really great movie, by the way, and the two leads are just phenomenal.  I am pulling for Dujardin in particular, as his presence on screen is undeniable (and echoes both Gene Kelly and Douglas Fairbanks).  Sad that the dog isn't nominated.  I'm sure a lot of people are put off by the idea of seeing a mostly silent film in this day and age, but it moves at a great pace and is whole-heartedly entertaining.  See it.

As for TTSS, I would say it's well acted, but I would say it is "interestingly" paced.  I appreciate that it was trying something with the pacing and concede that it pulled off what it was attempting to do, but I can't quite say that I liked it.  I feel that way about the film as a whole.  It is also incredibly well designed.  It absolutely feels like a product of the 70s.  My biggest issue was that there was too much going on away from the audience's view and understanding.  A little bit of unexplained background stuff is great, but in this movie the audience is left to fill in way too many gaps, IMO.  However, much like with the pacing, I get that this was intentional and a bold choice, I just can't say I liked that choice.  I applaud the effort of the film, but I can't recommend it.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 03:53:11 PM »

I'm just glad that thus guy            \/

Is nominated for best supporting actor.  finger

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 04:17:49 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 24, 2012, 03:34:04 PM

Foreign Films can still be nominated for Best Picture (as in the case of Life Is Beautiful).  Really great movie, by the way, and the two leads are just phenomenal.  I am pulling for Dujardin in particular, as his presence on screen is undeniable (and echoes both Gene Kelly and Douglas Fairbanks).  Sad that the dog isn't nominated.  I'm sure a lot of people are put off by the idea of seeing a mostly silent film in this day and age, but it moves at a great pace and is whole-heartedly entertaining.  See it.

As for TTSS, I would say it's well acted, but I would say it is "interestingly" paced.  I appreciate that it was trying something with the pacing and concede that it pulled off what it was attempting to do, but I can't quite say that I liked it.  I feel that way about the film as a whole.  It is also incredibly well designed.  It absolutely feels like a product of the 70s.  My biggest issue was that there was too much going on away from the audience's view and understanding.  A little bit of unexplained background stuff is great, but in this movie the audience is left to fill in way too many gaps, IMO.  However, much like with the pacing, I get that this was intentional and a bold choice, I just can't say I liked that choice.  I applaud the effort of the film, but I can't recommend it.

If you haven't had the chance, watch Dujardin in the OSS117 series of french comedies.  They're available on Netflix streaming and they're freakin' hysterical.  They're a parody of a series of 60/70's secret agent films out of france and after you see them, you'll realize that Dujardin should immediately be named the successor to Peter Sellers for the role of Inspector Clouseau. 

And I still recommend TTSS wholeheartedly.  It's not for everyone, that I can understand.  But I found that having to pay close attention to everything going on in the film paid off in a rewarding experience at the end of it all. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 04:25:03 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 24, 2012, 04:17:49 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 24, 2012, 03:34:04 PM

If you haven't had the chance, watch Dujardin in the OSS117 series of french comedies.  They're available on Netflix streaming and they're freakin' hysterical.  They're a parody of a series of 60/70's secret agent films out of france and after you see them, you'll realize that Dujardin should immediately be named the successor to Peter Sellers for the role of Inspector Clouseau. 

And I still recommend TTSS wholeheartedly.  It's not for everyone, that I can understand.  But I found that having to pay close attention to everything going on in the film paid off in a rewarding experience at the end of it all. 

I felt like I was paying attention, but there were two issues, IMO: 1) Everything was given the same weight, in the sense that very little was given more import than anything else.  B) Too much was going on between or behind the scenes with little or no explanation for the audience.  I don't need to be handheld, and I like it when not everything is spelled out for you, but this went too far in that direction, IMO.  Either by itself wouldn't be an issue, but when added with the other, it becomes too much.

I was thinking about the "product of the 70s" comment I made, and I realize that it reminds me a lot of The Conversation, a film which I know is considered a classic, with terrific performances, but which I also find too obtuse.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 04:35:02 PM »

TTSS here at least keeps on getting compared to the BBC TTSS series from the 70's that Starred Alec Guiness...i haven't seen them either

EDIT:oh and +1 for Max Von Sydow,that whole category has a great line up...Jonah Hill is the most surprising in there though,i have not seen Moneyball(have i seen anything???),but he always makes me think of Superbad  icon_confused
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:40:14 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 04:42:46 PM »

I didn't get that same feeling...or, to be fair, I didn't view it as negatively as you did.  Yes, there were no scenes containing dramatic swelling of music to indicate something of import was happening, but I found that to be a plus.  As for plot points not being explained clearly, I don't believe there were any that weren't eventually revealed.  Since nothing's perfect, I will say that the flashbacks were at times difficult to notice.  Since many of the plot points not explained in a linear fashion were embedded in these flashbacks, that was problematic at times.  

I believe the intent was to capture the world of John le Carré and that world is based on real spy stories (himself having been one).  And according to his view, that world is more like chess than anything else.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 04:56:14 PM »

Bond villains deserve their time in the limelight. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 06:01:40 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 24, 2012, 04:42:46 PM

I didn't get that same feeling...or, to be fair, I didn't view it as negatively as you did.  Yes, there were no scenes containing dramatic swelling of music to indicate something of import was happening, but I found that to be a plus.  As for plot points not being explained clearly, I don't believe there were any that weren't eventually revealed.  Since nothing's perfect, I will say that the flashbacks were at times difficult to notice.  Since many of the plot points not explained in a linear fashion were embedded in these flashbacks, that was problematic at times.  

I believe the intent was to capture the world of John le Carré and that world is based on real spy stories (himself having been one).  And according to his view, that world is more like chess than anything else.

I think I was hoping for more of a chess match.  With this, I felt like we were coming into the game in the middle and then they'd move some pieces around while you weren't looking before mumbling checkmate.

There were a number of things that were never made clear, IMO, without extrapolation.  Some weren't plot points, per se, but with everything having the same weight, you couldn't tell what was significant and what wasn't.

I've read some le Carré and never felt like Anything was vaguely laid out.  OTOH, I do feel like that unclarity is exactly what real world spies feel.  Certainly they don't get swelling music (not what I was looking for, by the way).  As I say, I appreciate what they were going for.  It just didn't work for me.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 06:18:27 PM »

Fair enough.  I just disagree with the assertion that it was obtuse for the sake of being obtuse, that's all.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 06:29:14 PM »

What a lame list of nominations. The Academy went very conservative this year. Sorely missing is 'Drive', hands down the best and most cinematic movie of 2011. Where's the nomination for Best Actor for Michael Fassbender for 'Shame', one of the most daring male performances I've ever seen? Where are the nominations for Tilda Swinton and 'We Need To Talk About Kevin'? Where's the Best Foreign nom for Lars Von Trier's 'Melancholia'? The Academy proved this year that they're the old fuddy-duddies everyone suspects they are.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 24, 2012, 06:18:27 PM

Fair enough.  I just disagree with the assertion that it was obtuse for the sake of being obtuse, that's all.

I'd say it was intentionally obtuse to capture a certain tone/style.

Also, thanks for the OSS 117 tip.  I just added them to my cue!

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 07:09:44 PM »

You will love the OSS series.  The first one is definitely the funniest of the two, but the second one has a bit more style.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 05:25:36 AM »

sounds like only one of the best picture nods did very well at the box office in terms of being blockbusters.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 02:36:31 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 25, 2012, 05:25:36 AM

And once again the Oscars prove it's not about being what I want, it's about what others want!

sounds like only one of the best picture nods did very well at the box office in terms of being blockbusters.

okay, okay...i fixed my original reply. 

I think I'm just annoyed that a movie like Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close which I've heard is the worst kind of emotionally manipulative, Hollywood version of a tragedy is on the list and the great Albert Brooks' role in Drive was overlooked. 

But as for the box office in general, wasn't 2011 kind of disappointing for anything but the horror/sci fi/action genre...which traditionally only gets technical awards?  I know Paranormal Entity 3 made a ton of moolah, as did Transformers.  But they're both not the kind of films that critics would consider achievements in film making excellence.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 03:28:17 PM »

All Drive gets nominated for is Sound Editing?!?  Travesty.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 07:20:24 PM »

Tintin gets snubbed in the animated movie category in place of two animated movies I haven't heard of and Kung-Fu Panda 2? Seriously? Kung-Fu Panda 2 feels more like a mainstream effort while Tintin actually pushed the boundaries and had amazing 3D. And Spielberg at that... Spielberg got snubbed.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 07:33:54 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 25, 2012, 03:28:17 PM

All Drive gets nominated for is Sound Editing?!?  Travesty.

I heard it wasn't a very good movie.

* CeeKay ducks.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2012, 08:16:05 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on January 25, 2012, 07:20:24 PM

Tintin gets snubbed in the animated movie category in place of two animated movies I haven't heard of and Kung-Fu Panda 2? Seriously? Kung-Fu Panda 2 feels more like a mainstream effort while Tintin actually pushed the boundaries and had amazing 3D. And Spielberg at that... Spielberg got snubbed.

That's a crime.  I loved Kung Fu Panda, but the sequel was terrible.

Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 08:47:02 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 25, 2012, 08:16:05 PM

That's a crime.  I loved Kung Fu Panda, but the sequel was terrible.

Was it? I haven't seen it. Saw the first, but I wasn't very enamored about it. Felt too much by the numbers, without much risk.  Tintin on the other hand felt like art, like it had tried something new in its animation style, with the backdrops looking realistic, and the characters half cartoony, half realistic. It was gorgeous and not just another run of the mill animated movie. It was an artistic achievement.  The fact that the Academy snubbed it when it wasn't a popular franchise in the US speaks volumes.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:50:15 PM by Rumpy » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 09:07:39 PM »

Tintin gets snubbed in the animated movie category

Wiki

It is currently nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Score, and wasn't eligible for Best Animated Feature due to the 2010 Academy Awards rule regarding the Motion Capture.

Covered back in July 2010:

This decision not only renders fully motion-captured movies like Disney’s A Christmas Carol and the upcoming Tintin trilogy ineligible for the top award but also shuts out effects-heavy extravaganzas like James Cameron’s Avatar or or Michael Bay’s Transformers 3 from elbowing their way into the category.
Director Brad Bird and the Pixar gang made their feelings clear in the end credits for the 2007 film Ratatouille in a statement reading, “Our Quality Assurance Guarantee: 100% Genuine Animation! No motion capture or any other performance shortcuts were used in the production of this film.”
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 09:09:35 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: