http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 11:45:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eddie Izzard  (Read 1958 times)
Gryndyl
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2004, 04:44:15 PM »

Anyone else heard of this guy? I just "discovered" him this weekend. Absolutely brilliant stand-up comedian-sidesplittingly funny.

Never heard of him? Remember the lightning fast speed and pacing of Robin Williams in his hey day...now make it twice as funny and have it performed by a british transvestite.

Yes, I know, you're like "Ummm...a transvestite?" Trust me, this guy is funny  and is absolutely in the "A-league" of comedians.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 04:53:00 PM »

I've been a fan of his for years.  His last HBO special was outstanding.

"It's the rebels sir... they're here."
"Oh, well do they want tea?"
"I don't know sir, but they've brought a flag."
"Damn that's dash cunning of them."

biggrin

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 04:58:05 PM »

"I come from Europe. You know, where the history is from."

Strange guy, but I'll never fault him on humor. Extremely funny stuff, and the whole flag thing was brilliant.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 05:07:06 PM »

Izzard is hilarious.  I've got an "I poke badgers with spoons" sticker on my car, courtesy of one of his routines.

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 05:26:46 PM »

Glad that  I'm not the only one to have heard of this guy. I saw "Dressed to Kill" this weekend at a Halloween get together. I got home and immediately ordered it from Amazon. Can anyone recommend any of his other DVD's that are particularly brilliant?

vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 05:39:29 PM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"
Glad that  I'm not the only one to have heard of this guy. I saw "Dressed to Kill" this weekend at a Halloween get together. I got home and immediately ordered it from Amazon. Can anyone recommend any of his other DVD's that are particularly brilliant?

Dressed to Kill is like epically funny. The part where Eva braun asks hitler what they are going to do for their honeymoon.  "Cover ourselves in petrol and burn to death!" is hilarious. The whole thing about the flags is funny too. The whole thing is pretty funny. Even when he is speaking in french and you can't understand what the hell he is saying. :lol:

JSHAW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 05:45:45 PM »

OK, answer this question for me.

What's the deal with Izzard?

Is this a guy who likes wearing alot of makeup and women's clothing just for the hell of it or is this guy a full blown screaming queen?

It doesn't really matter to me what he does in his personal life, it's just that the last time I saw him on HBO he was wearing this silk japanese outfit and women's shoes, and it was just very bizarre to see a man wearing what he was, unless you're use to seeing it in a gay bar.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 05:50:28 PM »

He simply wears whatever he likes without bothering about whether it's a traditionally "male" or "female" item of clothing. Women never used to wear pants; why can't we now wear skirts?

I've been an Eddie fan since I saw him first in... 1994? Saw him live last year on his "Sexy Beast" tour in NYC and it was a blast.

Edit to point out he's *not gay* :p
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 05:57:39 PM »

In the routine I saw he even makes a point of pointing out that most transvestites "fancy women", differentiating them from drag queens.  It's the whole "lesbian trapped in a man's body" kinda thing

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 06:11:57 PM »

His comedy is brilliant.  I saw Dressed to Kill a couple years ago and have been a fan ever since.  He also does some acting (normal attire) as well.  He was in Shadow of the Vampire as the male actor.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 07:37:48 PM »

I'm a big fan too and can watch his shows over and over again. I have Dressed To Kill and Circle on DVD.

I just saw that Amazon is saying that Unrepeatable, Definite Article, and Glorious (which I have on VHS from the U.K.) are all coming out on DVD November 9th. I really hope that's true!

Edit: It is true and I just ordered all three from Deep Discount DVD for $11.97 each and free shipping. Brilliant. biggrin
RunningMn9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2004, 08:02:03 PM »

After Brian Regan, Izzard is my favorite comedian.  The "Dressed to Kill" special is absolutely OUTSTANDING.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 10:38:20 PM »

The funny thing about Izzard is that he puts me to sleep.  Something about his voice soothes me and every time I watch it, I can't make it through the show.  It isn't that I don't think he's funny...it is truly that his voice puts me to sleep.  My wife loves him to death and gets angry that I can't make it through the tape.  Maybe I should watch it when I first wake up.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Fishbelly
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2004, 11:52:42 PM »

Eddie kicks ass.  I can't wait to see his soon-to-be-released dvds.  Thanks for the info!  I slapped those suckers in the top of my Netflix queue, so now I just have to wait for them to arrive.

I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

Woody Allen
Hansey
Gaming Trend Reader

Random Lurker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2004, 04:26:52 AM »

Eddie Izzard is an absolute riot.  Dress to Kill is by far his best work, with Glorious a close second, IMO.

The end of Dress to Kill that he does entirely in French is particularly funny... and even funnier if you actually understand French.  slywink
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2004, 04:10:58 AM »

Love Eddie Izzard, he's hilarious!

My favorite is his Flag routine.  Watched it with my best friend a while back and her current bf's name is Steve, so the line "I was on the moon, with Steve" fits perfectly.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2004, 02:36:45 AM »

Got my DVDs today! I'm going to watch Glorious tonight, and then Definite Article and Unrepeatable this weekend (both of which I haven't seen before).
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2004, 11:12:54 AM »

"the red and yellow socks?  awesome"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: