http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 02:36:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: eBay - What happened?  (Read 678 times)
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2010, 02:18:14 PM »

Is it just me or have auctions all but disappeared from eBay? Once or twice a year I like to go through my list of games and search for them on eBay to see what they're selling for, but I've recently noticed that this has become virtually impossible because everybody is using Buy It Now listings. Often times it will just be one guy with dozens of these listings, mostly with grossly inflated prices.

So what did eBay do to fuck everything up? Is it because the cost to list is so low, while the eBay/Paypal commissions are so high?
morlac
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 06:45:56 PM »

Well for me auctions are a pain in the ass.  The slight chance that you might get more money in an auction then you were expecting outweigh the pita factor.  Not to mention if you do nto set it up right you could be forced to sell soemething for quite a bit less then you wanted.  If you just do a decent search of your item you can set a good buy it now price.  You can also do a 'or best offer' option but again that requires more babysitting.  Now collectibles it can make sense doing an auction but for just offloading stuff buy it now is the way to go.

edit to add:

Also...the average/occasional buyer does not like auctions.  It is a signifigant time investment to get a good deal on auction and require a ton monitoring.  Most folks would be glad to potetnitally pay a littel extra to hit a couple buttons and be done with it.   Since a majority of buyers prefer that method sellers have followed suit.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 06:48:06 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 07:58:56 PM »

Quote from: morlac on October 21, 2010, 06:45:56 PM

Well for me auctions are a pain in the ass.  The slight chance that you might get more money in an auction then you were expecting outweigh the pita factor.  Not to mention if you do nto set it up right you could be forced to sell soemething for quite a bit less then you wanted.  If you just do a decent search of your item you can set a good buy it now price.  You can also do a 'or best offer' option but again that requires more babysitting.  Now collectibles it can make sense doing an auction but for just offloading stuff buy it now is the way to go.

edit to add:

Also...the average/occasional buyer does not like auctions.  It is a signifigant time investment to get a good deal on auction and require a ton monitoring.  Most folks would be glad to potetnitally pay a littel extra to hit a couple buttons and be done with it.   Since a majority of buyers prefer that method sellers have followed suit.

+1

I want to buy it now, not "maybe" next week.

If is is not on ebay, the next click is amazon or somewhere else.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 01:17:39 AM »

I wish there were more buy it now ones on the stuff my wife likes. We have to wait 6 days to try and get it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 01:19:33 AM »

Quote from: Morgul on October 21, 2010, 07:58:56 PM

Quote from: morlac on October 21, 2010, 06:45:56 PM

edit to add:

+1

I want to buy it now, not "maybe" next week.

If is is not on ebay, the next click is amazon or somewhere else.

ditto.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 02:16:42 AM »

Wow. I feel like I'm about 80 years old right now. I just had no idea this is how people felt.

Quote from: morlac
If you just do a decent search of your item you can set a good buy it now price.

How can you do that when the listings range from $10 to $70 and you have no idea how long they've actually been up? Sure you can see how long that particular listing was there, but that item could have been up for months and you wouldn't know. There could be three listings for the product you're selling, each of them at $40, and you have no idea whether that means your item will sell for $40 or won't sell at all. There is no way to tell, because if it did sell, the listing obviously wouldn't show up. So what should you do? Put yours up for $40, too?

At least with auctions you can monitor bidding to somewhat accurately gauge interest in the item.

It is a signifigant time investment to get a good deal on auction and require a ton monitoring.

I thought it was just a matter of typing in your maximum bid and then checking to see if you won. I guess I'm missing something.

From a buyers perspective, the entire point in eBay for me was to get the best deal possible. Now it's just pay what the seller wants. In other words, it's like any other online store. Except with a greater chance of getting screwed.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 02:25:39 AM »

You can search for completed listings on ebay easily.  So if you're looking for a good listing price, just do that and sort by the most recent sold.  You should be able to see the range pretty easily.  I'm with everyone else on auctions.  Typically an auction for me used to mean setting my alarm to remind me to check it 5 minutes before the end, then putting in a sniping bid 30 seconds before it was over.  Might as well just use Buy it Now.
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 02:38:19 AM »

Quote from: kathode on October 22, 2010, 02:25:39 AM

You can search for completed listings on ebay easily.  So if you're looking for a good listing price, just do that and sort by the most recent sold.  You should be able to see the range pretty easily.  I'm with everyone else on auctions.  Typically an auction for me used to mean setting my alarm to remind me to check it 5 minutes before the end, then putting in a sniping bid 30 seconds before it was over.  Might as well just use Buy it Now.

You can? I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

I can understand the setting your alarm thing ages ago before they implemented the proxy bidding system (and were allowed to bid in extremely small increments), but now it just seems pointless. If I put in the maximum I'd be willing to pay for it, and then somebody bids more at the last second, why would I care?
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 02:55:24 AM »

Quote from: heloder on October 22, 2010, 02:38:19 AM

I can understand the setting your alarm thing ages ago before they implemented the proxy bidding system (and were allowed to bid in extremely small increments), but now it just seems pointless. If I put in the maximum I'd be willing to pay for it, and then somebody bids more at the last second, why would I care?

If you can just say "this is the maximum I'll pay" and then leave it alone, you're ahead of the game.  IMO it's just basic human psychology to feel a sense of ownership on something you bid on, then perceive being outbid as an attack.  And then deciding you can stretch your maximum just a little further.  Over and over again smile  In my previous ebay experience, bidding before the very end did nothing but drive the price up higher, because everyone else bidding thought to themselves "you're not going to get MY stuff."
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 06:13:51 AM »

Or you were bidding against someone's maximum bid.  EBay automatically increases your bid incrementally until it reaches your max.  icon_smile
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 01:35:57 PM »

I'll go with the easy answer to the "What happened to eBay?" question.

Craigslist.

Just a little hiccup.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 04:30:14 PM »

Quote from: heloder on October 22, 2010, 02:16:42 AM

Wow. I feel like I'm about 80 years old right now. I just had no idea this is how people felt.

If you just do a decent search of your item you can set a good buy it now price.

How can you do that when the listings range from $10 to $70 and you have no idea how long they've actually been up? Sure you can see how long that particular listing was there, but that item could have been up for months and you wouldn't know. There could be three listings for the product you're selling, each of them at $40, and you have no idea whether that means your item will sell for $40 or won't sell at all. There is no way to tell, because if it did sell, the listing obviously wouldn't show up. So what should you do? Put yours up for $40, too?

At least with auctions you can monitor bidding to somewhat accurately gauge interest in the item.

It is a signifigant time investment to get a good deal on auction and require a ton monitoring.

I thought it was just a matter of typing in your maximum bid and then checking to see if you won. I guess I'm missing something.

From a buyers perspective, the entire point in eBay for me was to get the best deal possible. Now it's just pay what the seller wants. In other words, it's like any other online store. Except with a greater chance of getting screwed.

On your first question.....  advanced search button-check the completed listings only tab--take the average price, i laways use the average price plus +, can always come down later if it is not selling.

on your second point:  You can do that but there are 'professionals' on there who will swoop in at the last second and out bid you for $.10.  If you are ok with that then go for it.  Me I hate finding out I got outbid on something by 10 cents and it took me days to find out.  Then you have to do it all over again and cross your fingers....no thanks.

on your last point:  There are still some really great deals to be had using both auctions and buy it now.  If you are buying something new on ebay from an 'online store' the chances of getting screwed are pretty slim.  No different then going to Amazon.  Now if you are buying used then there is always that chance but that can be said about buying used anywhere.  

edit: I see most of this wa covered..oh well.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 04:35:07 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 04:34:20 PM »

Quote from: Hiccup on October 22, 2010, 01:35:57 PM

I'll go with the easy answer to the "What happened to eBay?" question.

Craigslist.

Big fan but the getting screwed factor is much larger imo.  I did sell my wife's car on there in about 20 mins and $2000 more than the dealership offered me.  Car salesman was not amused when I did from his computer.

morlac00 on PSN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: