http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 11:56:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: eBay says "Cut out that shipping nonsense!"  (Read 1292 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 07, 2006, 03:26:06 AM »

http://pages.ebay.com/sellercentral/excessiveshipping.html

Looks like eBay is going to try to put the brakes on some of those Buy It Now for 99cents and pay 50 bucks to ship it kind of things.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 04:13:39 AM »

About time. I mean, yeah, it was a great way to make money as a seller, but it was a way to get around the eBay system.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 07:32:43 AM »

Good, that was damn annoying.

I hope they filter that over to Half.com as well.  Most of the books there are listed for a penny, with like $4+ shipping.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 12:37:08 PM »

I agree, that was annoying.  I don't have to much faith in eBay pulling it off really well though.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 02:49:26 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Good, that was damn annoying.

I hope they filter that over to Half.com as well.  Most of the books there are listed for a penny, with like $4+ shipping.

The minimum price you can list something on half.com is $0.75 - and half sets the shipping prices based on the media type/shipping options

The seller no longer has a say in how much they can charge for shipping.  There may be an exception for game systems, but generally speaking you can't set your own shipping cost on half.  I sell a lot of CDs and books through half, and it irritates me when they automatically tack on $3.25 for media mail shipping, when I know in some cases it'll cost less than a dollar to ship it via first class mail.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 03:55:01 PM »

I am glad that they are going to try and clean that up.  It is really annoying to look at stuff that is .99 and pay $50 for shipping.  I agree it is a huge turnoff to buyers.  I know it is one of the most important things I look at when making my ebay buys.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 05:14:38 PM »

Quote from: "papasmurff"
I am glad that they are going to try and clean that up.  It is really annoying to look at stuff that is .99 and pay $50 for shipping.  I agree it is a huge turnoff to buyers.  I know it is one of the most important things I look at when making my ebay buys.

Same here. My wife and I sell A LOT on EBAY (we're Power Sellers with an average of over $1,000 a month in sales) and I can promise you that honest and reasonable shipping costs do more to help sales than having all the detailed pictures in the world, in your listing. People just don't wanna get ripped off, thats all, and to us at least, its not worth possibly losing potential bidders, or making bidders mad, just to rip people off for more money.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 07:48:01 PM »

See, I've been fooling around with Ebay too, and when my shipping prices went up, my sales went down.  When my shipping went down, my sales went up.  Go figure.
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 10:00:35 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
The minimum price you can list something on half.com is $0.75 - and half sets the shipping prices based on the media type/shipping options

The seller no longer has a say in how much they can charge for shipping.  There may be an exception for game systems, but generally speaking you can't set your own shipping cost on half.  I sell a lot of CDs and books through half, and it irritates me when they automatically tack on $3.25 for media mail shipping, when I know in some cases it'll cost less than a dollar to ship it via first class mail.

Have they done that recently?  Maybe I was thinking of Amazon resellers, but I could have sworn I was looking at books a few months ago at Half listed for a penny.

Maybe it was Amazon: I think they have a flat fee for shipping, which made getting used books there prohibitively expensive.
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 10:52:53 PM »

I don't do a lot on Ebay but the inflated shipping costs is irritating. You really have to be on your toes to find all the specifics before you bid. I wasn't paying attention recently and bid and won an item from a Seller who only does cashier or personal checks. Not something I particularly like to do but since they had over a hundred positive transactions recently I sent the check.

I also find sellers not giving feedback after you've paid and given your own feedback to be annoying as well. If I go out of my way to pay immediately and then sit back and wait for a couple weeks for my item to arrive, then get positive feedback I expect it in return.

Both people I purchased from recently appear to not give feedback. Something I didn't look at before purchasing from them. I know Seller's live by having positive feedback...it doesn't take much to at least give a positive and just say thanks.

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 05:25:26 AM »

Quote from: "RobbieD"
I also find sellers not giving feedback after you've paid and given your own feedback to be annoying as well. If I go out of my way to pay immediately and then sit back and wait for a couple weeks for my item to arrive, then get positive feedback I expect it in return.

Both people I purchased from recently appear to not give feedback. Something I didn't look at before purchasing from them. I know Seller's live by having positive feedback...it doesn't take much to at least give a positive and just say thanks.

I ran into that once, myself.  Every other seller I had done business with up to that point had left feedback on me when they shipped the item (I pay within 24 hours, usually within 12, of an auction's end, so good feedback is a no-brainer).  I waited over a week with no feedback from this seller, and have yet to receive any.  I never did leave feedback for the business, and have adopted a "don't leave feedback until the seller does" policy for all future transactions.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 01:48:22 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I agree, that was annoying.  I don't have to much faith in eBay pulling it off really well though.

I agree.  The only reason Ebay cares is because they are getting pimped on the Final Value Fees.  Will they do anything?  No.  The problem is too large.

Edit:  Another beef of mine is when someone charges a reasonable $5.00 for advertised Priority Mail, but then turns around and pays $0.89 to ship First Class.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 10:15:23 PM »

I always thought while kind of annoying it wasn't that big of deal. It seemed most people would just factor in the high shipping into the bids and those sellers would get less than another similar item. Maybe you would get the occasional newbie who doesn't pay attention to the shipping costs and get screwed over.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 02:10:26 AM »

I ALWAYS look at the shipping.  If it's too high I just figure they are going to be less trustworthy with any potential purchase.  I really hope they do something about it, even if it is just to help their bottom line, because it causes a lot of clutter when trying to search for stuff.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 02:29:07 PM »

Thank god, that was getting so ridiculous. I remember buying a pair of sunglasses for like 15, then paying like 20 to ship them. They must weigh 8 ounces, what a ripoff.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: