http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 05:02:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ebay issue - buyer says it never arrived  (Read 601 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2012, 08:53:15 PM »

I sold my Nexus 10 last week on Ebay and sent it off. I really didn't think much about it because I have sold tons of stuff. I got delievery confirmation from the Post Office and went on my way.

Today he contacts me saying the item hasn't arrived. I look it up on USPS's site and they say it was delieverd on the 30th! So now I am worried. I called Ebay and they said there was nothing I could really do since the buyer hasn't filed a claim but I am still worrying.

What does happen in a case like this? Ebay seems heavily geared towards buyer protection - and rightly so but this person could just be claiming it didn't arrive and be trying to pocket the N10 and the money too.

Anyone else dealt with this kind of thing?

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:08:16 PM »

NEVER NEVER NEVER ship via USPS unless you just don't give a shit about what you are shipping. Their track record these days is atrocious

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 01:13:58 AM »

And for another anecdote, I've never not shipped with USPS and I've never had a problem with them.

I would never ship something worth more than a hundred bucks or so without insurance. Signature confirmation probably would've helped you out here as well. That's definitely something to think about next time you sell something worth a lot of money.
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 02:04:30 AM »

Delivery confirmation proves that it was delivery to the address. Not sure what you mean by abysmal performance. $200 of insurance is less than a dollar, iirc. Signature confirmation proves that somebody signed for it, and I would use that if I were shipping something pricey. If you were shipping something with a very high value, register mail is the most secure.

I would take the position that the nexus was delivered and it was either stolen from the residence, or palmed by the buyer.
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 02:32:31 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on December 03, 2012, 10:08:16 PM

NEVER NEVER NEVER ship via USPS unless you just don't give a shit about what you are shipping. Their track record these days is atrocious

Nonsense.  I've always used USPS and never had an issue.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 02:58:44 AM »

I've never had an issue with USPS, but if I'm shipping something of not-insignificant value, I wouldn't use them either. I've sold iPads on eBay but shipped them via UPS or Fedex.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 03:18:33 AM »

Quote from: heloder on December 04, 2012, 01:13:58 AM

And for another anecdote, I've never not shipped with USPS and I've never had a problem with them.

I would never ship something worth more than a hundred bucks or so without insurance. Signature confirmation probably would've helped you out here as well. That's definitely something to think about next time you sell something worth a lot of money.

This. I ship over 1,500 packages a year. At least 98% of them go via USPS. I think I've lost about one package a year. All of them went to apartment buildings and were presumed stolen. (I do insure all shipments over $100.)

To answer the question, my shipping policy clearly states that I own the package until that delivery confirmation barcode is scanned. At that point it belongs to the recipient. I can't be responsible if it's stolen or lost before they get it, and in fact I have only their word that they did not.

This is the advice I give people who claim they didn't get a parcel that was confirmed delivered:

After a package is confirmed delivered, or when you are notified of a delivery attempt, that package is no longer the responsibility of Curio City. We can't be responsible for packages that are lost or stolen after they're confirmed delivered. Our ownership of that package ends when your carrier scans the label to prove that the package was left.

What can you do if your shipment is lost despite being confirmed delivered? First, ask anyone else in your household if they might have brought it in (you would be surprised how often this turns out to be true). If you live in a multifamily unit, ask your neighbors (even if you think someone might have stolen it, they might return it out of guilt!). Second, check the area surrounding your mailbox or front door to see if the box or envelope might be in a concealed spot. Third, ask your carrier if s/he remembers where he or she left the box. Finally, if none of those steps pan out, take your delivery confirmation number to your local post office and ask them to search for the box. Sometimes a postal carrier scans the label while the box is still on the truck, but neglects to take it to your door. In such cases the box will turn up either on the truck or in the loading area.

To prevent future losses, make sure that your carrier knows where to leave packages securely (especially if you live in an apartment building). If you don't have a secure place to get packages, have your order sent to work, or to a neighbor. If you are shipping your order to somebody else, be sure to tell them that it's coming. As much as we hate to hear about packages that are stolen or lost after delivery, we can't do anything about them. Insurance does not protect you against theft after delivery.

Bottom line is that you can't do anything about it if a package was stolen after delivery, and that's almost invariably what happens to those that go missing. I don't know how ebay looks at things because I don't sell there anymore...but delivery confirmation should get you off the hook.

BTW, if you're a frequent seller you should have a written lost package policy to which you can refer people who make claims against you.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 06:35:09 PM »

The buyer and I finally sorted this out.  Apparently he has two addresses listed one in Ebay and one on Paypal so I shipped the the wrong one.  I find it kind of annoying that the guy didn't send me a specific message about where he wanted it shipped since he knows he has two addresses but at least the package isn't lost.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 09:55:18 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on December 04, 2012, 06:35:09 PM

The buyer and I finally sorted this out.  Apparently he has two addresses listed one in Ebay and one on Paypal so I shipped the the wrong one.  I find it kind of annoying that the guy didn't send me a specific message about where he wanted it shipped since he knows he has two addresses but at least the package isn't lost.

Whatever the addresses are, always ship to the one that's listed as "confirmed" on PayPal.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 11:55:08 PM »

In the US do they just leave something sitting outside the door if you're not at home? In Japan, if it doesn't fit in the mailbox or is any kind of package then they'll leave a slip of paper with the details on how to arrange for them to come again and when they do you have to sign for the package.
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 12:17:27 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 05, 2012, 11:55:08 PM

In the US do they just leave something sitting outside the door if you're not at home? In Japan, if it doesn't fit in the mailbox or is any kind of package then they'll leave a slip of paper with the details on how to arrange for them to come again and when they do you have to sign for the package.
Policy is, leave it if the parcel can be left in a door. If the label contains a disclaimer "leave if no answer" then it has to be left if there is some sort of concealment. You never leave a package in an apartment building. Normally, a letter carrier will know where it's safe to leave parcels on his/her route and where it's not safe to.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 03:48:36 AM »

Quote from: Default on December 06, 2012, 12:17:27 AM

Quote from: Canuck on December 05, 2012, 11:55:08 PM

Policy is, leave it if the parcel can be left in a door. If the label contains a disclaimer "leave if no answer" then it has to be left if there is some sort of concealment. You never leave a package in an apartment building. Normally, a letter carrier will know where it's safe to leave parcels on his/her route and where it's not safe to.
Also, the sender can add an optional signature requirement for an extra buck or so. Not a bad investment if you're shipping something expensive to an apartment address.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: