http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 11:49:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Earthsea  (Read 4204 times)
jimmyorr99
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2004, 05:54:48 PM »

Anybody gonna watch Earthsea on Scifi next week?  I read the books a long time ago and think it looks really good.  I'll be watching.  Anyone else?

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 06:12:27 PM »

You betcha. Read the books about a year ago, so most... er, some of the detail is sti... okay, a little bit of the detail is still somewhat fresh in my mind.

That, and I'll always support a fantasy movie/series in hopes of getting more bigger projects like the LOTR movies. Except for that D&D abortion. That hurt. Physically.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 06:29:52 PM »

Never heard of the books or story but plan to watch the movie.

Id prefer if they just brought Farscape back

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 08:31:20 PM »

Yes!  It shouldn't be hard to tell that I'm a fan of the Earthsea books. smile
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 08:37:25 PM »

Quote from: "Gedd"
Yes!  It shouldn't be hard to tell that I'm a fan of the Earthsea books. smile

LOL - I liked the first book and the recent (couple of years) bk 4, but 2 & 3 never resonated as much...

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 08:49:50 PM »

Some disappointing news:

http://www.ursulakleguin.com/UKL_info.html

It may end up decent, but....

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 10:07:24 PM »

Thanks for the reminder.  smile  I had forgotten this was coming on.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 10:32:17 PM »

Well Ursula herself had some scathing comments to make. Ouch. I guess I'll just go in pretending it has nothing to do with the books at all and go from there Tongue
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 11:53:06 PM »

Its funny thought that the pictures of the Earthsea books she has on her website have the covers from the movie version.

I'm in the middle of book2. Slow so far, but i'll stick with it. I'll be watching the show for sure.
karapcik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 01:12:59 AM »

Hmmm...from an ad on my EB bag to the TV  :roll:

Not much personal interest in this one, but I can understand that some fans might want to watch. If not to enjoy than to pick apart.

Anyone here ever read Le Guin's edited Norton Sci-Fi Antholgy? I remember reading in a survey book/essay (Disch's "The dreams our stuff is made of" I think) that more than a few people found her take on the Sci-Fi canon to be lacking.  And too PC.  From a Amazon review:

"There's an element of political correctness to the story selection, an element of pure feminism, and as element of weirdness and mystery. What can she possibly have been thinking? How can anyone be said to know anything about science fiction without going back a little further, to the so-called "golden age" of science fiction which a lot of these stories are reactions against? How can a study of science fiction not include Asimov, Heinlein, or Clarke? The most likely audience of this book is not well served by the story selection. "

Like a car accident, I can't look away and I am more interested after reading the above. Might be interesting to pick up if only to see what is in the anthology and what is out.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2004, 02:49:22 AM »

Yeah, I completely knew that the mini-series would not follow the books exactly, or even closely.  I'm going to watch this, and I'm sure I'm going to be disappointed.  Even reading through the FAQ on Sci-Fi's website I knew it, because they're going to be skipping quickly through the first book's content and focusing mostly on the second book.

The first book, in my opinion, is the best of the four.  There's so much that happens, and through it we learn so much about the world, the magic, and the main character.  The second book was good, but it really paled in comparison to the first.  As for the third and fourth, I'm pretty sure I only read those once, so I always blend them together, but the last book left me a little disappointed.

So anyway, I'm sure LeGuin is right on the money (and I love the Frodo comment).  I'm sure the "interpretation" by those involved will be dead wrong.  I'm sure they'll butcher it in every way possible.  I'm sure I won't like it. But I know I will watch it.

I swear though, they better have kept in the stuff about the power of True names.  It was always one of the more interesting aspects of the story, and I will be extremely upset if they took it out.  They also better include Roke, and get all that happened there right...particularly the showdown.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2004, 03:42:09 AM »

Mmmmm Kristin Kreuk...

Too bad I don't have SciFi here.
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2004, 04:01:16 AM »

Quote from: "Gedd"
Even reading through the FAQ on Sci-Fi's website I knew it, because they're going to be skipping quickly through the first book's content and focusing mostly on the second book.

What the?  That's asinine, they should've just made the first book by itself and left the rest for later if it did well.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2004, 02:41:44 PM »

Actually TO, I just went back and read the Q&A again and I mispoke.  It would appear that all they said was that they were covering the first two books, and I think I inferred from the cast listing that The Tombs of Atuan would be getting the lion's share because there are so many from that book.

I still think that they're probably going to be skipping over most of the first book, because they've only got 4 hours (with commericals I'd say closer to three), but at this point it's pure conjecture.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2004, 03:28:59 PM »

I'm definitely glad they got 4 hours as opposed to 2 though.  At least they will be able to cover more than they would had it been a one night deal.  I think there weill be some differences when it comes out, but I'm thinking I will like them just the same.

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2004, 02:54:05 PM »

It's coming on tonight!  you all gonna be watchin?  I'm glad my wait is finally over.  I wanna hear what you all thought tomorrow, for those who watched it.

dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2004, 03:10:16 PM »

The previews look interesting but I'm not familiar with the series. What's the premise?

Ye Olde Farte
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2004, 11:52:03 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
The previews look interesting but I'm not familiar with the series. What's the premise?

Here is Earthsea, by someone who thought it was ok, in very few words.

Um, SPOILERS below!!!

Book 1
Kid lives in a hut. Learns some magic from local witch. Village is attacked by bad guys. Zaps the bad guys. Local wizard takes him away to develop his powers. Leaves local wizard to train with the big boys. ROYALLY screws up and gets head wizzy killed by shadow thing.  Leaves wizards, outsmarts a dragon. Kid gets shadowed by shadow. Kid decides to defeat shadow. Excitement ensues. Kid beats shadow. Now a powerful wizard. Kid's name is Ged. Don't name names, cause names are power.

Book 2.
Girl lives in a hut. Gets taken by a death cult. Raised as a reincarnated high priestess of the dark. Girl is controlled by older hags. Raised to think she's the shizznit. Finds strange wizard half dead. Wizard is looking for a the other half of a powerful amulet that will heal the world.Girl spares Wizard. Wizard convinces girl to leave the cult. Wizard's name is Ged. Girl leaves. Excitement ensues. Don't remember girls name, because the book was kind of boring, but i wanted to finish it so i could watch the series.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2004, 01:36:50 AM »

Its on in a few minutes here.  I am going to watch after seeing the preview before National Treasure I think.  Haven't seen Danny Glover in a while...hah.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2004, 02:28:32 AM »

Very underwhelming so far. Could they have found a worse actor to play Gedd's father?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2004, 04:19:33 AM »

It was wonderfull..I loved it! Cant wait till tomorrow night. Too bad its not a series...guess it would cost a fortune in CG..

SPOILER WARNING!>

I thought it was kinda lame when the head wizard gets killed by that lame ass king throwing a dagger into him. The guy was slow, did'nt he see that one coming? He coulda changed to mist or something geez.

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2004, 02:56:35 PM »

I thought the acting was good overall, with a few exceptions.  i thought many of the supporting characters did a wondeful job, i.e. vetch.  I'm really looking forward to tonight and seeing how they finish it.  I hope the second half is as good as the first.

Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2004, 02:57:25 PM »

I haven't read the books, but I thought the show was pretty good so far.  Effects were a little cheap, and a few of the roles are a bit miscast, but overall a pretty good job for a made for TV miniseries.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2004, 04:13:53 PM »

I wish we could have seen more of the mage school. That was a very interesting and fun part.

AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2004, 08:35:41 PM »

Hi

Man i really liked this.  most of the time i hate Scifi the generaly strike me a ghetto network.  Kinda like GoBots are to Transformers.... although i dont know who would be the transformers of Scifi TV lol.  

Anyway, i gotta find out who wrote these books, and what they are called, because im sure they are great.  prolly even better than the show.

AttA
dfs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2004, 09:50:19 PM »

Anyway, i gotta find out who wrote these books, and what they are called, because im sure they are great. prolly even better than the show.

in reverse order.

Better is a matter of taste. The books are different than what's been shown so far.  I would give the books better.

They are called A Wizard of EarthSea, the Tombs of Atuan, and The Farthest shore. She has some short stories around Earthsea as well.

Ursala Le Guin wrote them. They are not her best work. Again taste vary, but I would suspect The Lathe of Heaven or The left hand of Darkness would both belong above EarthSea.

I'm not sure what I think of the video version.  The imagery seems stolen from the LOTR films and Hogwarts from the Harry Potter movies instead of inspired by Earthsea, but it has been a long time since I read the books.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2004, 12:49:29 AM »

Hmm, Ursula doesn't seem too pleased at all...but I guess that just means that the mini-series is not what she intended but doesn't necessarily mean it is a bad show.

What I didn't know until recently was that the books were bascially written for "young readers"  much like Harry Potter.

Not that it would detract from the book and/or the series but it does make a difference.  And certainly the SciFi channel was not billing this as a mini-series based on the young reader series, Earthsea...
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2004, 03:00:25 AM »

I tuned in for a bit, in time to see that guy shapeshift into a hawk or something, then Dumbledore tells the students that story about the guy who shapeshifted into a bear and ate his own kid. The lesson being 'don't shapeshift lest ye be locked into your inner animal with destructive effects on those around you'. I immediately wondered "what if your inner animal is fluffy bunny? What's the downside of that?".

Overall, it reminded me of the cheesier episodes of Hercules or Xena in terms of visuals. I'll pass.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2004, 06:44:41 AM »

Oh crap. I totally forgot about it tonight. Ive just tuned into the 1am - 3am showing at 1:30am. Could someone recap the first 30 minutes of the 2nd part for me? Im pretty sure Sci-Fi will replay both episodes sometime but im not sure when. What did I miss? I caught it right before they visited the dragon.

Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2004, 07:08:49 AM »

Man they radically changed the story. The priestessess are good? whats with that? in the book they were anything but good.

I think the main problem is that the books are mainly about Ged's adventures while the movie tries to be (slightly) broader. Personally, i liked the books a great deal. Now, i did read the books at a rather early age, but i do have rather fond memories of them. I think i will have to read them again. There is a 4th book you say? maybe i will have to look into that too.

Anyway, I liked the miniseries. It wasn't the best movie ever, but i enjoyed it  a great deal. Although, i am a fan of the book so maybe that is why i like the miniseries...
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2004, 02:29:50 PM »

I thought overall, it was a very good adaptation.  That's what it was, an adaptation.  I especially enjoyed some of the acting.  i though Glover and Rosellini were very good in their respective roles.  I am really glad I tuned in.

walTer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2004, 04:21:37 PM »

Ok after sitting through part 1 last nite, I have to say it was ...ok...

It's very pretty, nice special effects, sets are well done- definitely a very high production value but frankly the characters and acting are terribly lacking.

Ghed's father- omg did he just not know his lines so he had to read off a teleprompter?

Ghed's village squeeze- "Go find the girl you dream of.."  TRITE!

Then the whole I want to learn everything about being a wizard NOW and I don't have patience and I know it will mess everyting up but tell me NOW Yoda...patience young Jedi... but done not nearly as well... it was just so contrived.

Then they send him away without training- yet with great power and potential to be the most powerful wizard ever???  How smart is that?  Oh, but stay and get well first?? HUH?  What if that shadow thingy shows up looking for him?

Too much silliness there but I don't love Raymond and I could care less if a housewife is boinking the gardener....so I watch Earthsea.

Oh its ok but for all the hype I think it falls short.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2004, 04:54:51 PM »

His father reminded me a Macho Man Randy Savage for some reason.

I think Danny Glover shoulda had more screen time.

And Kristen is easy on the eyes.

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2004, 03:09:18 PM »

Yeah, I have definitely taken a liking to Kreuk.  She did a pretty good job throught the series.  Apparently it got really high ratings, so I hope they do another mini about the third book.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2004, 04:07:14 PM »

as pretty as kristen is, you have to admit, she ain't gonna be seein' an oscar on her mantle unless the rules of acting suddenly shift to the "tilt head, bat eyelashes to show all emotions" school of thespian thought.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2004, 05:37:40 PM »

Ok for those that think that SciFi did a good job at adapting the books- Ursula K. Le Guin does NOT agree with you at all.  Man is she pissed.

A Whitewashed Earthsea
How the Sci Fi Channel wrecked my books.
By Ursula K. Le Guin
Posted Thursday, Dec. 16, 2004, at 6:14 AM PT

On Tuesday night, the Sci Fi Channel aired its final installment of Legend of Earthsea, the miniseries based—loosely, as it turns out—on my Earthsea books. The books, A Wizard of Earthsea and The Tombs of Atuan, which were published more than 30 years ago, are about two young people finding out what their power, their freedom, and their responsibilities are. I don't know what the film is about. It's full of scenes from the story, arranged differently, in an entirely different plot, so that they make no sense. My protagonist is Ged, a boy with red-brown skin. In the film, he's a petulant white kid. Readers who've been wondering why I "let them change the story" may find some answers here.

And THAT is only part of her problem with the show.

Full article : http://slate.com/id/2111107/

For more by the author, check out http://www.ursulakleguin.com/UKL_info.html
(careful though, she is experiencing some heavy bandwidth usage...)

But my favorite quote from her main page is this:

I wonder if the people who made the film of The Lord of the Rings had ended it with Frodo putting on the Ring and ruling happily ever after, and then claimed that that was what Tolkien "intended..." would people think they'd been "very, very honest to the books"?

She certainly speaks her mind.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: