http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 02:27:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Early word on "Iron Man"  (Read 15188 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: May 05, 2008, 12:49:34 PM »

Quote from: Austin on May 02, 2008, 03:51:38 PM

Good question from a friend who I watched this with last night.  Plot Spoiler.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Plot line question.  Why was the terrorist going through all the trouble to have Stark piece together the new missile when he was buying from Stark Industries in the first place?  I realize he didn’t originally know it was Stark he was supposed to kill, but it just seems like a lot of trouble for what would probably be an inferior product (being pieced together in a cave and all).  Is there a good explanation, or did they just need a reason for Stark to make a suit?

Spoiler for plot answer:
When you have the creator of the toys you play with in your basement with all the tools he needs, are you going to go out to the store and buy his latest work (which as Turtle pointed out, may not have been offered to them anyways)? His captors went against what they were ordered to in the first place; trusting Stark Industries wasn't a good idea (as was illustrated later in the movie). The fact that Stark Industries wasn't left off their weapons being sold to the other side was the only thing that bugged me ... but not enough to think about it until now.

The twist explains why he wasn't used for ransom.

Spoiler for nitpick:
The only thing in the movie that had me going WTH? was Stark being plunged into water with a car battery hooked up to his chest.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 12:51:28 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2008, 01:30:15 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 05, 2008, 12:49:34 PM

Spoiler for nitpick:
The only thing in the movie that had me going WTH? was Stark being plunged into water with a car battery hooked up to his chest.

I think they were just doing their standard
Spoiler for Hiden:
interrogation torture without regard for his special needs.  It was supposed to make his new health condition seem even more present and precarious, especially with the occasional zzzt sound we heard during the dunking.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 05, 2008, 02:21:54 PM »

Took my son in yesterday to see it.  We both loved it.  As I stated before, I was never much of an Iron Man fan as far as reading the comic books went (though I always thought he looked cool).  The movie was very well done and Robert Downey, Jr. was great in it.  He really captured the arrogance of Tony Stark.  In fact, playing the lifestyle of a rich bachelor probably wasn't much of a stretch for him, with his history. smile

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 05, 2008, 03:08:05 PM »

Marvel announced their movie slate through 2011 today to investors.

Shockingly enough, we got a new Thor movie coming in 2010, a new Cap movie in 2010, and the Avengers in 2011 smile
Combined with the stand alone Wolverine movie already coming out in 2009, I think we have the roster of the Avengers already.

Cap, Ironman, Hulk, Thor, and Wolverine. Holy crap!

http://grownmanagenda.blogspot.com/2008/05/marvel-studios-announces-line-up-until.html
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 05, 2008, 03:31:05 PM »

that's pretty cool.  Too bad Wolverine will be their only movie next year unless they fast track something.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: May 05, 2008, 04:28:08 PM »

Go Hawkman!

lol

Maybe a Dr. Strange? Ooo, an Alpha Flight movie... that'd rake in the profits.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 05, 2008, 05:06:02 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 05, 2008, 04:28:08 PM

Go Hawkman!

lol

Maybe a Dr. Strange? Ooo, an Alpha Flight movie... that'd rake in the profits.

3 words:

Paste Pot Pete

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 05, 2008, 05:28:57 PM »

Super Hero Hype mentioned Marvel said they'd introduce Thor in Iron Man 2; and that "The First Avenger: Captain America" is the tentative "working title" for the Cap movie.
http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7165

I guess the scheduling ends the idea that Favreau could direct the Avengers movie (there just wouldn't be enough time). It did sound like he, Downey and everyone were keen on doing further things, and I'm sure Stan Winston would love to work on new variations on the suit.  icon_smile

It all sounds great, but I just hope they can keep the quality level up, find the right people (not just hire music video directors who don't have any interest in the character or the comic books) and keep making unconventional yet ultimately smart casting decisions (as for Iron Man, and really it was Favreau who fought to get Marvel to understand Downey as a casting choice). And have a solid script as a starting point. If they can keep doing that, I'll keep buying tickets even when they're $12.50 for a matinee.  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 05:31:01 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 05, 2008, 05:32:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 05, 2008, 03:31:05 PM

that's pretty cool.  Too bad Wolverine will be their only movie next year unless they fast track something.

spidey 4 is coming from Sony in 2009, allegedly

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: May 05, 2008, 06:51:30 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on May 05, 2008, 05:32:41 PM

After the horror that was EmoMan 3, I have no intention on seeing the 4th without some absolutely amazing reviews first.

So in my case, Wolverine will be their only movie next year.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 05, 2008, 06:54:14 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 05, 2008, 06:51:30 PM

After the horror that was EmoMan 3, I have no intention on seeing the 4th without some absolutely amazing reviews first.

+100
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 05, 2008, 06:54:33 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on May 05, 2008, 05:32:41 PM

With no cast or script and it's already 5/2008, I doubt they will be able to release next year.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 05, 2008, 08:29:50 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 05, 2008, 06:54:14 PM

+100

I was fortunate enough to stay away from that one.  Heck, I even felt that 1 & 2 left something to be desired (something delivered by Iron Man), though I enjoyed them (but when I started reading about the effort to squeeze venom in to appease the younger readers, I started having a really bad feeling, despite my love of the Sandman character, and desire to see that).

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 05, 2008, 08:45:23 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on May 05, 2008, 08:29:50 PM

I was fortunate enough to stay away from that one.  Heck, I even felt that 1 & 2 left something to be desired (something delivered by Iron Man), though I enjoyed them (but when I started reading about the effort to squeeze venom in to appease the younger readers, I started having a really bad feeling, despite my love of the Sandman character, and desire to see that).

Yeah, 1 & 2 were nowhere near perfect, but the best comic book-based movies at the time.  3 came out, and I wasn't able to go to the theater because it's hard for my wife and I to get out because we don't like leaving our daughter at my in-laws' house on the weekend.  Anyway, I never saw it in the theater.  I bought it when it came out on DVD, and almost didn't finish watching it the first time.  I haven't tried again since...  frown
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 05, 2008, 09:17:03 PM »

(but when I started reading about the effort to squeeze venom in to appease the younger readers,

How young is young?  I am 35 and Venom is my favorite villain/anti-hero in the Spider Man universe.  The whole black suit story and Venom evolving from that was my favorite storyline from the Spider Man comics.

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 05, 2008, 09:54:11 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 05, 2008, 09:17:03 PM

(but when I started reading about the effort to squeeze venom in to appease the younger readers,

How young is young?  I am 35 and Venom is my favorite villain/anti-hero in the Spider Man universe.  The whole black suit story and Venom evolving from that was my favorite storyline from the Spider Man comics.

Actually, that was the sense I got from the stuff I was reading - so I was reading that Sony/the Producers wanted to squeeze Venom into the movie, in order to appease younger fans.  Which was not what (my impression of) the original Spidey 3 was going to be.  It made me think - Sandman Spidey 3 meets Venom Spidey 3 in a head on collision, and whatever survives goes to the silver screen.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 05, 2008, 09:57:27 PM »

Was the original vision of Spider-Man 3 a weak-ass musical? Because mission fucking accomplished. thumbsdown thumbsdown

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 05, 2008, 09:58:37 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 05, 2008, 09:57:27 PM

Was the original vision of Spider-Man 3 a weak-ass musical? Because mission fucking accomplished. thumbsdown thumbsdown

Makes you wonder if the broadway musical is going to be just a showing of SP3.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 05, 2008, 10:09:25 PM »

I actually liked that part.  They did something very non-traditional for a comic book film there and I guess it failed for many, but I  enjoyed it.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 05, 2008, 10:12:03 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 05, 2008, 10:09:25 PM

I actually liked that part.  They did something very non-traditional for a comic book film there and I guess it failed for many, but I  enjoyed it.

I think it was very non-traditional for any movie outside of a musical, but it did not fit this genre or character at all, IMO.  Did you think it was  Fabulousslywink
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 05, 2008, 10:26:29 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 05, 2008, 10:12:03 PM

I think it was very non-traditional for any movie outside of a musical, but it did not fit this genre or character at all, IMO.  Did you think it was  Fabulousslywink

It fit in with the whole idea that the suit was changing him.  Dancing around a bar was not something Peter Parker would have done and that was the point.  He made a total ass of himself and of Mary Jane.  Also, Spidey is pretty jovial, anyway.  If Wolverine would have done it, I guess I could see the complaints.  Didn't bother me in the least.  I even like his little emo haircut.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: May 05, 2008, 10:40:34 PM »

I would pay money to see Wolverine dance like that.  Then again, I could just watch Viva Laughlin.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 05, 2008, 11:52:19 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 05, 2008, 10:26:29 PM

I even like his little emo haircut.

I.am.aghast!!!!!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 06, 2008, 12:27:49 AM »

saywhat

Because I can,
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 06, 2008, 01:23:05 AM »

Sorry guys, but I have no problems with people doing non-traditional things with comic book movies as long as it isn't something like having Batman suddenly be all happy or having The Hulk be a skinny guy.  Everything they did in Spider Man 3 wasn't outside of Peter Parker's character (except when intentional to illustrate the symbiote's affect) and I had no issues with it.  I also loved him walking down the street being a total ass with the women that passed by.  Spider Man is a mostly lighthearted comic book with some serious undertones and I think the movie caught it great.  This is coming from a guy who puts Spider Man up there as his favorite comic book series.  The movie was just fine.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 06, 2008, 01:31:33 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 06, 2008, 01:23:05 AM

The movie was just fine.

I understand why you liked it and such, but I think you have to be one of the few.  Tongue

And I know how much money the movie made.  But I think the returns were more because of the previous two rather than from its own merits, IMO.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 06, 2008, 02:30:40 AM »

I didn't like Spiderman 3 the first time I saw it but once I realized that the whole emo spidey bit as well as many other goofy moments were the intended humor I began to enjoy the movie. Liked it much more on my second viewing.

I just watched the clip after the credits for Iron Man on youtube since I missed it in theaters. What in the shit is SL Jackson doing in THIS movie too? The guy is becoming played out already, I never take his role in these types of movies seriously (just watch him in Snakes and Jumper) and on top of that isn't the original Nick Fury a white guy?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 06, 2008, 02:51:07 AM »

I haven't seen the movie since I'm not a big superhero fan.  I quite enjoyed Batman Begins, so I imagine I'll at least rent this, but I came across this comparison:

Iron Man suit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp1d6R6-viQ

Starcraft II suit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELhtXtnV3pg

Hmmmmm...  Looks like SCII wins.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 06, 2008, 03:34:24 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 06, 2008, 02:30:40 AM

I never take his role in these types of movies seriously (just watch him in Snakes and Jumper) and on top of that isn't the original Nick Fury a white guy?

Yes, the original Nick Fury is a white dude.  However, in the relaunching of the Avengers, The Ultimates, Fury is black, and a great deal like Samuel L. Jackson.  In fact, there is a part in the comic where the Ultimates are joking about what actor or actress would play them in a movie.  When asked, Fury replies, "Samuel L. Jackson."  Mind you, this was done in 2002, so it was done well before this, or any of the upcoming Marvel movies.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Robert Downey Jr. is supposed to have a cameo in the Incredible Hulk, and I'll venture to say it'll be to recruit Bruce Banner into the Avenger Initiative, as it's referred to in Iron Man.  They're launching the major Avengers characters in the next two years to release an ensemble movie by 2011, if memory serves me right.  So, as far as the comics are concerned, they couldn't have picked anyone better than SLJ to play Nick Fury.  biggrin
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 03:38:11 AM by rickfc » Logged
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2008, 03:42:25 AM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 06, 2008, 03:34:24 AM

Yes, the original Nick Fury is a white dude. 
The original Nick Fury is the Hoff.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 06, 2008, 05:00:34 AM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on May 06, 2008, 03:42:25 AM

Quote from: rickfc on May 06, 2008, 03:34:24 AM

Yes, the original Nick Fury is a white dude. 
The original Nick Fury is the Hoff.

DO NOT FORK WITH THE HOFF!!!!

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 06, 2008, 12:41:11 PM »

Entertainment Weekly has a nice interview, post-opening-weekend with IM director Jon Favreau [NOTE: Last page of the interview has *spoilers* if you haven't seen IM yet, and is clearly marked as such before you reach that page, fwiw icon_smile]:
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20198027,00.html
Do you get the sense that he understood the level that his fame was about the reach? Before this, he hadn't starred in a $100 million-grossing movie.

No, I don't think he [Robert Downey Jr.] got it until he and I went around to the theaters [last weekend].

He and I went around to the theaters Thursday night and Friday night because we both love the audience reaction. So you could sit home and have numbers faxed to you all night and e-mailed to you all night — it doesn't mean anything — but when you go into the Cinerama Dome [in Hollywood]...I went up there and intro'd the movie, and as a surprise brought Robert Downey Jr. up, and then everybody jumped to their feet. It just hit him. Then, when he was courtside for the Lakers game, and they flashed him on the big screen and people clapped or Jack [Nicholson] gave him a thumbs up — I think you kind of know at that point. And it's exciting.

It's exciting for everybody, because he's a guy that I think a lot of people wrote off. It's inspiring when somebody who sort of has his work cut out for him actually accomplishes that and comes back bigger and better than he was before. I mean, that's the American dream — and it oddly somehow relates to Tony Stark. And when art imitates life, you're onto something. I learned that off Swingers.
He has a pretty refreshing attitude as far as realizing a movie can make a mountain opening week and not be all that well-liked by fans or critics. They've (mostly) managed happily to achieve both.  icon_smile

They had an updated item on the Avengers movie:
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20197922,00.html
The Avengers — July 2011 (bringing together the characters of Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk, Captain America, and Thor in one movie)
Yikes. Going to need a heckuva good villain against that team.  icon_razz And the real question is whether Iron Man can use Thor's hammer as a recharger.  saywhat
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 12:49:14 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 06, 2008, 02:33:26 PM »

I also wonder if they can manage to get all the principal actors together for the Avengers.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 06, 2008, 02:38:17 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 06, 2008, 12:41:11 PM

Entertainment Weekly has a nice interview, post-opening-weekend with IM director Jon Favreau [NOTE: Last page of the interview has *spoilers* if you haven't seen IM yet, and is clearly marked as such before you reach that page, fwiw icon_smile]:
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20198027,00.html

Good read.  Thanks for posting!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 06, 2008, 02:51:06 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 06, 2008, 02:33:26 PM

I also wonder if they can manage to get all the principal actors together for the Avengers.

I would imagine that was in the contracts everyone signed. Considering the cameo at the end of Iron Man and the cameo in the upcoming Incredible Hulk, Marvel is finally in a position where there can be continuous cross-overs. Since they're the ones calling the shots on all these films they can do that without paying massive fees to individual studios like Sony for the use of Peter Parker or Fox for the use of The Thing. Now that everyone is under one roof, they can use whomever they want whenever they want. They're in the same position DC has been in for years since Warner always released those films as well as owned DC. The problem there is ego and hubris at WB has hurt DC time and time again. Here's hoping that those asshat studio execs leave Nolan et al alone and just sit back and rake in the cash from the movies.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 06, 2008, 02:51:15 PM »

Judging by the behind-the-scenes going on with Incredible Hulk, I doubt Norton would be game so they'll probably recast.  For Captain America and Thor I wouldn't be surprised if an Avengers movie is stipulated in their contract whenever they get cast. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 06, 2008, 02:52:43 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 06, 2008, 02:51:15 PM

Judging by the behind-the-scenes going on with Incredible Hulk, I doubt Norton would be game so they'll probably recast.  For Captain America and Thor I wouldn't be surprised if an Avengers movie is stipulated in their contract whenever they get cast. 

Maybe the Hulk will just always be in Hulk form?  Really all we want to see is Hulk SMASH anyway right?
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 06, 2008, 02:56:11 PM »

Judging by the behind-the-scenes going on with Incredible Hulk, I doubt Norton would be game so they'll probably recast.

Even though Norton seems to be unhappy, don't all these actors usually sign a 3-picture deal for these movies?  Even though he may be reluctant to do it, he may be contractually obligated.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 06, 2008, 03:01:52 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 06, 2008, 02:56:11 PM

Judging by the behind-the-scenes going on with Incredible Hulk, I doubt Norton would be game so they'll probably recast.

Even though Norton seems to be unhappy, don't all these actors usually sign a 3-picture deal for these movies?  Even though he may be reluctant to do it, he may be contractually obligated.

I"d be surprised if Norton was willing to sign a three year contract since he's so picky with projects.  Norton has been burned before from contracts- evidently he was very pissed at having to do The Italian Job but it was to finish a contract with Paramount.  Which struck me as kind of sour grapes- The Italian Job was perfectly enjoyable light summer fare and nothing he should be embarrassed about. 

Even if he did a three picture contract on Hulk, he would likely be so difficult to work with that Marvel may not want him back.

EDIT- Also, Norton had enough clout on the Hulk that he got some level of control over the film into his contract.  If he can exercise that level of control I seriously doubt that he offered to do more films without at least getting script approval. 
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 06, 2008, 03:15:46 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 06, 2008, 03:01:52 PM

I"d be surprised if Norton was willing to sign a three year contract since he's so picky with projects.  Norton has been burned before from contracts- evidently he was very pissed at having to do The Italian Job but it was to finish a contract with Paramount.  Which struck me as kind of sour grapes- The Italian Job was perfectly enjoyable light summer fare and nothing he should be embarrassed about. 

Even if he did a three picture contract on Hulk, he would likely be so difficult to work with that Marvel may not want him back.

EDIT- Also, Norton had enough clout on the Hulk that he got some level of control over the film into his contract.  If he can exercise that level of control I seriously doubt that he offered to do more films without at least getting script approval. 

I think he'll change his mind if it makes anywhere near the money that Iron Man is making.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: