http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 10:46:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Early word on "Iron Man"  (Read 15108 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2008, 12:32:23 PM »

Hey, lots of theaters are showing advance screenings at reasonable hours tonight (8, 8:30, 9, etc.). I just reserved an advance ticket for an 8 p.m. show tonight, big digital theater.  icon_biggrin Just don't ask me if it'll be worth $5.75 an hour ($11.50 ticket with the online purchase fee  disgust icon_razz).

The sucky thing -- at least with AMC's online tickets -- is you used to be able to print your ticket and bring it in (they were supposed to use a scanning wind, but most just tore the page in half like a stub). I guess people were abusing it, cause now all it does is reserve you a regular ticket that you have to pick up at the box office and show your credit card as proof/ID. Kind of defeats the point (though it at least guards against a sellout of a given showtime).  icon_neutral

Entertainment Weekly posted its review today (B+):
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20196644,00.html
Quote from: Owen Gleiberman of Entertainment Weekly
The fun of Iron Man, a Marvel adaptation in which a routine arc has been burnished with great elegance and skill, is the way that it heals the split, soldering the two halves of its hero into a single organically driven figure.

Too often, superhero films feel like a different species of entertainment from the smudged comic books that spawned them. Iron Man takes you back to the days when you sprawled out in front of those books, flipping through the adventures of a dude who was too vital, and vulnerable, to ever be a mere F/X object.
fwiw, he wasn't much of a Spider-Man movie fan, so his fawning isn't coming from a direction of liking these kinds of things. Sort of a good sign perhaps.

I decided I really wanted to see it today before the deluge of reviews (good, bad, indifferent) hit tomorrow. And my Thursdays are quite boring.  icon_smile 

Actually, I kind of have fun leafing through reviews, because so often you see people lauding something in a movie that someone else saw as a weakness (or vice versa). I've seen that a lot with the early IM reviews so far.

I reviewed films for my college newspaper, but in the end (like game reviewing too), it's a thankless job, and now thanks to the Internet (it wasn't around in 1987, but sometimes fellow staffers would tell me they liked something I made fun of in my review) everyone can tell you what a chump you are for liking or not liking something. The Internet: bringing hatred and intolerance of reviewer criticism to the masses! icon_razz
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 12:51:50 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2008, 01:26:48 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 01, 2008, 12:32:23 PM

The sucky thing -- at least with AMC's online tickets -- is you used to be able to print your ticket and bring it in (they were supposed to use a scanning wind, but most just tore the page in half like a stub). I guess people were abusing it, cause now all it does is reserve you a regular ticket that you have to pick up at the box office and show your credit card as proof/ID. Kind of defeats the point (though it at least guards against a sellout of a given showtime).  icon_neutral

At the AMC theaters around here, if you buy your tickets online you just go up to an automated kiosk and insert your credit card and it automatically prints the tickets.  There's almost never a line for the kiosks like there is for the box office. 
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2008, 04:06:40 PM »

Hey, lots of theaters are showing advance screenings at reasonable hours tonight (8, 8:30, 9, etc.). I just reserved an advance ticket for an 8 p.m. show tonight, big digital theater.  icon_biggrin Just don't ask me if it'll be worth $5.75 an hour ($11.50 ticket with the online purchase fee  disgust icon_razz).

icon_eek

My wife and I had decided that we just can't handle watching a midnight film anymore because of how hard work is the next day, but we can sure as hell go to an 8pm show. 

Ordering tickets now.   icon_biggrin

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2008, 04:49:44 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on May 01, 2008, 01:26:48 PM

At the AMC theaters around here, if you buy your tickets online you just go up to an automated kiosk and insert your credit card and it automatically prints the tickets.  There's almost never a line for the kiosks like there is for the box office. 
Thanks, man. I will try to do that. The site didn't explain that possibility, and I forgot about those kiosks.  icon_smile

Sigh, I probably didn't need to advance buy at all. Oh well. At least I feel committed. Our visiting IT guy was apparently geek-impressed that I was seeing a show tonight.  icon_cool

I've done some weird things for opening nights some times. My brother and I back in 1984 (I was 19) were visiting our aunt in New York, so we got up at about 8 a.m. to see a 9:30 a.m. showing of Indiana Jones and Temple of Doom on opening day. And then we got down on the floor briefly (the ushers didn't really check the theater thoroughly  icon_razz), and stayed for another show.  icon_biggrin

In 2005, I got my newspaper work done a little early Tuesday to go see a midnight show of Batman Begins. I didn't know how to waste 4 hours though so I saw "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" first (enjoyed it), went out the exit, came back in the theater, and saw BB. I swear it had like 25 minutes of trailers. And BB was pretty long (almost 2 1/2 hours), so I came stumbling out of the theater at almost 3 a.m. I felt like it was worth it though.  icon_smile

I'm an old man now (43, same age as Robert Downey), and I have to pick my spots now when it comes to seeing opening day stuff at weird hours.

Playing
PC
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2008, 04:56:35 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 01, 2008, 04:06:40 PM

icon_eek

My wife and I had decided that we just can't handle watching a midnight film anymore because of how hard work is the next day, but we can sure as hell go to an 8pm show. 

so I take it you won't be around for GTA MP tonight?   crybaby

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2008, 05:06:31 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 01, 2008, 04:56:35 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on May 01, 2008, 04:06:40 PM

icon_eek

so I take it you won't be around for GTA MP tonight?   crybaby

Still not sure.  Just before I went to buy tickets I made the mistake of calling my wife to let her know we could see a show tonight earlier than midnight, but after dinner she may have to go back to the office, and I got the pathetic, "But you could go without me, if you want to."   Roll Eyes  So I may just wait until tomorrow afternoon, as hard as it may be, so that I can see Iron Man with my wife. 

My MP participation is entirely dependent upon whether my wife has to go back to work.  If so, then perhaps I'll just settle for GTA IV MP instead.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2008, 05:49:58 PM »

Damn it.  I need to be added to one of you guys' friends list so I can play MP too.  I can has MP???
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2008, 05:57:12 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 01, 2008, 05:49:58 PM

Damn it.  I need to be added to one of you guys' friends list so I can play MP too.  I can has MP???

You didn't post in the GTA gamertag thread, I added all the 360 people that posted to my friends list (though it looks like there are some new additions I missed.)
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2008, 06:03:13 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 01, 2008, 05:57:12 PM

You didn't post in the GTA gamertag thread, I added all the 360 people that posted to my friends list (though it looks like there are some new additions I missed.)

My bad.  It's in there now
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2008, 09:29:49 PM »

I'm narfing down a frozen dinner, debating where to sit tonight (it's a nice AMC stadium seating theater):
-Very front. Endless legroom, nobody in front of you, and it's not obnoxiously close to the screen. Still, Robert Downey's nostrils will look like these gigantic, gaping, endless black holes...

-Middle of the front section. If it gets crowded, and you have to use the restroom, it's tough (even with fairly roomy seating). Also, usually in something expected to sell out like this I get surrounded by obnoxious kids, some kicking my seat, and I have to resist the temptation to be an old grouch and holler "Hey you punks! Shut up! Try watching the movie and getting your *oddamn $10.50's worth!!!" Some day, I'll do it... icon_twisted

-Middle of the back row. That's about where I was for Batman Begins. Don't have to worry about people kicking the back of your seat. And in a pinch, you can climb over the back to get to the restroom. I'm favoring this, or the very front. Just depends on if I want closeups of Robert Downey's nose hair or not.  icon_razz

I'm heading out soon. If I was high-tech, I'd give you guys special blog-reports but you'll have to settle for a post-movie report.  icon_smile For those hitting the Age of Conan beta servers tonight - have fun!  icon_cool
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 09:38:10 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2008, 09:53:27 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 13, 2008, 09:18:16 AM

Quote from: The Grue on April 13, 2008, 02:41:50 AM

I've never really been into the comic book character, and I hate that I have seen trailers using Black Sabbath's Iron Man to promote the film, and yet I am very interested in this.

Where exactly did you think Black Sabbath got the song title/idea from anyway? slywink

It was painfully obvious that they would use the song to promote this film...but it still pisses me off. The character in the song goes crazy and kills everybody...

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2008, 10:04:39 PM »

I first have to figure out what I will do if my wife decides she can't go because she has to return to work after dinner (she can't skip out on dinner because we're meeting some of her family).  Is seeing Iron Man at 8pm the day before the official release without my wife if she is forced to return to work worth the inevitable repercussions?

My first thought?  Absofuckinglutely.   Bring your own!   

And if I can find someone to go with me, then it's even more likely.   Bring your own!Bring your own!

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2008, 10:53:11 PM »

Wife doesn't have to go back to work, so my dilemma has been rendered moot! 

Dinner at Cyclo at 6, Iron Man at 8.  WOOOOOOO!

Bring your own!Bring your own!Bring your own!Bring your own!Bring your own!Bring your own!Bring your own!Bring your own!Bring your own!Bring your own!Bring your own!
 Bring your own!Bring your own!Bring your own!Bring your own!Bring your own!Bring your own!Bring your own!Bring your own!Bring your own!Bring your own!Bring your own!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2008, 12:16:35 AM »

make sure to sit through the credits  ninja

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2008, 03:16:26 AM »

Too late, I didn't have the patience to sit through credits that go on that long.  icon_razz

I really liked and enjoyed the movie.  icon_cool Even the prolonged origin sequence, and the metal vs. metal finale. Bring your own! The suits are awesome, and the special effects pretty seamless. Aside from a couple moments towards the end, I never really got that sort of sloppy CGI feeling that sometimes takes you out of the fun (think about some of the clumsy CGI in the first Spider-Man movie for example).

Downey is really the best thing about the movie (as most say), and I found Paltrow quite charming in her role. Terence Howard is pretty much wasted, but hopefully a followup will give him a little more to do.

You could maybe knock Bridges for not being a villainous scenery chewer (we'll look to Heath Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight for that  icon_cool), but I think he always disappears into his characters pretty well.

My only disappointment was how sparse my theater was. They really didn't do much of a job (AMC) promoting the earlier 8-9:30 showtimes I'm thinking. When I left, there was a huge que lining up for presumably the midnight show so I guess a lot of people "didn't get the memo" about the earlier shows tonight. But a modest audience was good for enjoying the movie undisturbed. I'll need to see it at least one more time with a jazzed weekend crowd.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 03:19:37 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2008, 05:06:59 AM »

Hey, even Box Office Mojo (they basically hate every movie ever made, is how I consider their reviews section) liked Iron Man, so it must have some redeeming features.  icon_razz

Robert Downey, Jr. Rocks as Witty Superhero
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/reviews/?id=2490&p=.htm

Another reason to see it is that (I assume in most places) you get to see newly updated Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, The Hulk and The Dark Knight trailers. You may also hoot at the trailer for the latest M. Night Shyamalan trailer. I like the guy, loved The Sixth Sense, but for the Love Of God, come up with a new schtick for your movies! (he doesn't  icon_razz) When the trailer ended, I heard people in the audience cackling at the title. Doesn't bode well for his continued career...

Playing
PC
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2008, 06:18:14 AM »

Just got back from the 8pm show.  And I did stay through the credits.   icon_cool

The night began with a phenomenal dinner at Cyclo, a special little Vietnamese gem in Chandler just blocks from the Chandler Fashion Center.  Quaint little BYOB with a striking owner with a bit of sarcastic wit to go along with your food.  Amazing freshness, fantastic flavors, attentive service, no uncorking fee, and just absolutely amazing food.

We went with friends who had been there before, and we didn't order a thing.  The owner joined as at our table and handled everything.  She poured our wine, socialized with us for a bit, and then went back into the kitchen to determine what we'd be eating for the night.  And there wasn't a single item brought out that wasn't exquisite.

But that's not why you're here reading my post (but you have to admit, it wouldn't be a PeteRock post if I didn't include a story about our dinner Fabulous).  But let's get to why you're really here.  Iron Man. 

I will not divulge any spoilers in my review.

We had tickets for the 9pm show because we were worried that if dinner ran a little late we wouldn't get to the theater in time to find reasonable seats.  But when we arrived there were very few cars in the theater parking lot.   icon_confused  When we picked up our tickets we were asked if we wanted to change to the 8pm show.  We expressed our concern about any seats being left, but the theater was almost empty.  As Blackjack mentioned, apparently no one knew earlier shows were available.  None of my friends were aware, and obviously no one else was aware, either.  Friends I spoke with after the film were shocked when they found out (and jealous they didn't know). 

When I walked out of the theater a friend called to hear our impressions.  My review was very atypical for me.  It consisted of only two words.

FUCKINGAWESOME

First, the previews.

Our film experience began with a new Adam Sandler film called "Don't Mess with the Zohan" (or something along those lines).  It had some funny moments and looks to be typical Sandler fare, but certainly not worth us paying theater prices to see it this summer.

Next was the new Incredible Hulk Trailer.  I had seen this trailer online already, so it wasn't a surprise, and I'm still not sold on this film.  It could have potential, but it just didn't grab me like when I first saw the full Iron Man trailer.

And then we heard the tune first featured in Batman Begins.  I had never seen this trailer before and I didn't blink once throughout.  It primarily featured the Joker and Harvey Dent (with a fantastic quote from Dent - "You either die a hero or survive long enough to become a villian."), and this looks like the film to see this summer.  I had chills, especially seeing just how twisted Ledger's Joker looks to be.

This was followed by a new Indiana Jones trailer that was fairly heavy on the action elements of the film.  Not much dialogue, not many story elements, but it instead covered a lot of the booby traps and escape/survival sequences the Indiana Jones series has become known for.

Then the Marvel page-flipping sequence began and silence decended on the crowd. 

The film certainly begins by hitting the ground running.  I do not want to mention any spoilers, as I would be terribly disappointed if I knew anything that was about to happen, so I'll leave it with merely mentioning that the film doesn't waste any time getting started.

The action sequences are very well-done, full of tension, very good CGI work.  The dialogue is top-notch, and Downey, Jr. is just the ideal Tony Stark.  His delivery is spot-on, the humor is very amusing but not over-the-top or slapstick and included at just the right times, Stark's character communicates emotion very well, and he is amazingly believable as the dangerously brilliant Stark.  Despite Downey, Jr.'s past struggles and questionable lifestyle, he is one hell of an actor and he elevates this film to an award-winning level. 

I may very well have not blinked throughout the entire film.  I would rank this film in the superhero/comic book genre as being on-par with Batman Begins as an absolutely phenomenal origin story.  I consider Batman Begins to be the absolute pinnacle of the superhero film genre, and Iron Man is right up there with it.  I think it was that good.  I had one gripe with Batman Begins.  That was Katie Holmes.  I don't have a single gripe with Iron Man.  Not one.  But I love Batman too much to place Iron Man higher in my rankings.  The best I can do is place them as equals, which is saying a great deal.

And definitely be sure to stay until the end credits.  Seriously.  It's worth it. 

Two amazingly well-manicured thumbs WAY up.  And I can't wait to see it again. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 06:21:24 AM by PeteRock » Logged

Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2008, 07:24:04 AM »

Best superhero movie ever!!!! I didn't stay through the credits, but I guess this is one of those movies that good enough to watch repeatedly.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2008, 09:39:12 AM »

I didn't like Transformers, I didn't like Superman, I kinda liked Spiderman, I only enjoyed X-men because I'm a huge fan... The same can be said for every Marvel/DC superhero/sci-fi nerd movie that's been released in the past five years but I loved this movie. Robert Downey Jr. has become one of my favorite actors, for once the main role in this sort of movie is not filled by some pussy robot Hollywood actor. Any other front man and the movie would have been utterly boring, as much as I loved some of the action scenes and the coolness of the Iron Man suit, the main attraction was Downy.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2008, 01:09:23 PM »

I had one gripe with Batman Begins.  That was Katie Holmes.
Most people (including me) felt that way too. I think we'll like Maggie Glyenhall, who has a lot more fire and just seems a lot more believable as a tough DA (judging from the Dark Knight Trailers).  icon_smile

I belatedly found out what I missed after the credits. Cool.  icon_cool

Playing
PC
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2008, 01:13:25 PM »

So so good.  My favorite comic movie yet.  I think I said hands-down at Popehat and I mean no disrespect to Bale's Batman, but Ironman is tops.  icon_biggrin
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2008, 02:25:46 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 02, 2008, 06:18:14 AM

And then we heard the tune first featured in Batman Begins.  I had never seen this trailer before and I didn't blink once throughout.  It primarily featured the Joker and Harvey Dent (with a fantastic quote from Dent - "You either die a hero or survive long enough to become a villian."), and this looks like the film to see this summer.  I had chills, especially seeing just how twisted Ledger's Joker looks to be.

damn, I got chills just reading that.  I may try to see an early showing of IM on Sunday, but nothing is going to top Bats.*

*unless there is a large payment to me or Kate Beckinsale shows up at my doorstep to be my sex slave.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2008, 02:31:25 PM »

Arrrrgh can't wait to see this.  Hoping to catch it on the DLP screen this weekend.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2008, 02:38:20 PM »

So, I get to go today with a bunch of coworkers.  We're cutting out for a 2:30 or 3:00 show, but the best part?  It's on the company's dime!  biggrin

Every once in a while, our boss takes us all out to a movie.  Last time we went was for 300, and the time before that was for Batman Begins.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2008, 02:39:39 PM »

Quote from: Austin on May 02, 2008, 01:13:25 PM

So so good.  My favorite comic movie yet.  I think I said hands-down at Popehat and I mean no disrespect to Bale's Batman, but Ironman is tops.  icon_biggrin

I think my problem is Batman has always been a favorite of mine, and because Batman Begins was done so well it will be hard for future superhero films to top it (until Dark Knight, of course  icon_wink).  But I will give Downey, Jr. props for his portrayal of Tony Stark.  

Quote from: Ridah on May 02, 2008, 09:39:12 AM

Robert Downey Jr. has become one of my favorite actors, for once the main role in this sort of movie is not filled by some pussy robot Hollywood actor. Any other front man and the movie would have been utterly boring, as much as I loved some of the action scenes and the coolness of the Iron Man suit, the main attraction was Downy.

I was thinking the same thing.  Lately Downey, Jr. has been growing on me, and I absolutely loved him in Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.  And his role in Iron Man was absolutely fantastic.  His facial expressions, quirky dialogue delivery, humor, timing, sincerity, it was all top-notch, and I also had no problem believing he was a badass.  Not because he was well-trained like Bale's Batman, but because he was so pissed off and hell-bent on doing what he thought was right that no one would stand in his way.  

I can't place Bale's Batman above Downey's Iron Man, but I can't place Downey above Bale, either.  I have to place them on equal terms, and they have become my two favorite comic book/superhero films of all time.  

Quote from: CeeKay on May 02, 2008, 02:25:46 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on May 02, 2008, 06:18:14 AM

damn, I got chills just reading that.  I may try to see an early showing of IM on Sunday, but nothing is going to top Bats.

This has been my most anticipated film yet, and when the drum beat started (which was played at the beginning of the dock scene in Begins) I grabbed my wife's arm and I think almost broke her wrist.  We sat there and didn't blink, breathe, or utter a sound.  We just stared.  And as the drum is beating you hear chilling dialogue from The Joker.  You then see glimpses of Harvey Dent and Rachael Dawes.  But what you hear from Bale really gave me chills.  The best Dark Knight trailer I've seen yet, and there is no other movie I am anticipating more.  

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2008, 02:41:18 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on May 02, 2008, 02:38:20 PM

......and the time before that was for Batman Begins.

Your experience will be on-par with Batman Begins (and some would argue better).  And during our screening the previews were just as good as the movie (I could have done without some of them, like the Zohan flick, but The Dark Knight trailer and the Indiana Jones trailer both made up for it). 

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2008, 02:41:33 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 02, 2008, 02:39:39 PM

This has been my most anticipated film yet, and when the drum beat started (which was played at the beginning of the dock scene in Begins) I grabbed my wife's arm and I think almost broke her wrist.  We sat there and didn't blink, breathe, or utter a sound.  We just stared.  And as the drum is beating you hear chilling dialogue from The Joker.  You then see glimpses of Harvey Dent and Rachael Dawes.  But what you hear from Bale really gave me chills.  The best Dark Knight trailer I've seen yet, and there is no other movie I am anticipating more. 

ARGH!!!!  Why the fuck can't it not be July 18th already???????????
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2008, 03:38:02 PM »

Oh, I forgot to mention:
-I arrived early for my 8 p.m. show last night (maybe 6:40). There was nobody there, and one ticket cashier. I sheepishly asked to pickup an online order, she swiped my card, got my ticket. Definitely online ordering was a little pointless last night.  icon_redface

-I sat in the fourth row from the screen (at this AMC stadium theater they set the first rows reasonably far back). It was about perfect -- filled up my eyeglasses, but I never had to turn my head to enjoy the view. Nobody sat in front of me. Other than a couple who cackled like hyenas at every moment of humor (it has some funny moments, but sheesh), nobody was annoying. It was like having my own huge private screening room.  icon_cool

But, as I mentioned, I might want to catch it at least once with a big, noisy summer movie crowd this weekend.

Playing
PC
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2008, 03:51:38 PM »

Good question from a friend who I watched this with last night.  Plot Spoiler.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Plot line question.  Why was the terrorist going through all the trouble to have Stark piece together the new missile when he was buying from Stark Industries in the first place?  I realize he didnít originally know it was Stark he was supposed to kill, but it just seems like a lot of trouble for what would probably be an inferior product (being pieced together in a cave and all).  Is there a good explanation, or did they just need a reason for Stark to make a suit?
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2008, 04:22:54 PM »

Loved it.  I had to suspend belief an awful lot, but I kept telling myself, "This is a superhero movie.  You can't expect them to adhere to normal laws of physics."

I would give it an A-.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2008, 04:23:52 PM »

Quote from: Austin on May 02, 2008, 03:51:38 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Plot line question.  Why was the terrorist going through all the trouble to have Stark piece together the new missile when he was buying from Stark Industries in the first place?  I realize he didnít originally know it was Stark he was supposed to kill, but it just seems like a lot of trouble for what would probably be an inferior product (being pieced together in a cave and all).  Is there a good explanation, or did they just need a reason for Stark to make a suit?

I don't think they ever adequately explained that. (shrug)
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2008, 06:09:48 PM »

Hittin' a 12:05 matinee tomorrow afternoon with a couple of friends.  Probably should get my tickets on the way home tonight to avoid any trouble, though.  i'm glad to hear from the lot of ya that this one's a good one!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2008, 06:28:39 PM »

Came into work today...none of my teammates were in.  Everyone was teleworking today.

Sat down, looked at the incident queue...it was clear.

Temptation got the better of me, I checked showtimes for the Regal Cinema a mile from my office.  Showing at 10 AM.  Sweet!

Cleared out my e-mail queue, and went and had me a good time at the showing.  Also is probably tops for me as far as superhero movies are concerned.  A hell of a lot of fun!
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2008, 06:57:43 PM »

great...i was going to send out an email to the usual chicago gaming crew asking if anyone else wanted to see this with me tomorrow...but you couldn't wait, could you, mr. impatient?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2008, 07:08:06 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 02, 2008, 06:57:43 PM

great...i was going to send out an email to the usual chicago gaming crew asking if anyone else wanted to see this with me tomorrow...but you couldn't wait, could you, mr. impatient?

I would go again, but my wife is feeling poorly and I promised her that I would ride herd on the kids over the weekend so she can rest.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2008, 07:44:09 PM »

GOD EFFING DAMN IT!!!!  So I was all lined up to go see IM today at 2:30 with all my coworkers on my employer's dime.  Then, I get a phone call from the primary client I work with telling me that they needed some critical changes made TODAY.  The project they needed to be reviewed has been in their lap for over TWO weeks, but they wait until FUCKING today to get back to me, and of course it has to be done TODAY.  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

I seriously want to punch someone in the fucking face right now.

The lone bright spot is that I talked to my wife, and even though she didn't want to go this weekend, she said she'll go with me now because of it.  Still, I have to pay for it now.
 mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad   finger to you CB and AJ at THC.
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2008, 07:57:56 PM »

Quote from: Austin on May 02, 2008, 03:51:38 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Stane paid them to kill Stark without them knowing who it was. Then they discovered it was Stark and had him try to build the missiles. During all that they sent a taped message (scene with Paltrow in Stark's office) that they would kill him for double the price. So if their plan works they get the missiles for free courtesy of Stark and get paid double by Stane. There's a line when Stane shows up at the terrorist camp by the head dude: "You paid us pennies to kill a prince" or something like that.

This part is a little speculation by me. I'd have to see it again to see if the movies confirms it: Presumably after all that happens Stane wants to know how Stark escaped. The terrorists know and maybe Stane gave them the Jericho's to come and see the suit and get the plans. Of course he then kills them all.

Oh, and it was an excellent movie. I can't believe the running time was 2 hours and 6 minutes. It felt like 90 - I wanted more.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 08:00:02 PM by Mookee » Logged
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2008, 08:48:49 PM »

Check out these custom figurines at Wired, especially the first one (an Iron Man/Iron Monger hybrid).
http://www.wired.com/culture/art/multimedia/2008/05/gallery_custom_figurines

Playing
PC
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2008, 08:53:15 PM »

Awesome film.  Had a great time and loved just about everything about it.  I had forgotten how hot Gwyneth Paltrow is smile

BTW, stay until after the credits!!!  I didn't and missed the scene at the end.  Too bad, it was actually a really cool final credits sequence.
Edit: Sorry, now I see about five people have already said this before me.  That's what I get for not checking in after my 8:15 showing. 

Also, I don't think DLP theater screens are all that special anymore.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 08:55:31 PM by kathode » Logged
SzechuanLlama
Gaming Trend Reader

the bottom line...

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2008, 10:11:30 PM »

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to wait until next. fucking. week. to see this!  Life hates me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: