http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 11:28:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DVR Services  (Read 464 times)
happydog
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2006, 05:37:36 PM »

Tivo seems to be the standard DVR service out there, but I have Cox and they offer a DVR also. Being a n00b in this area, does anyone know the differences in the offerings. For example, doesn't Tivo automatically record shows it thinks you would like, how about Cox?

I am currently leaning towards Cox because they offer a HD DVR and I would love to get some HD programming going on.

LiveTAG: happydog
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 05:52:28 PM »

If you have HD and Cox is offering, get it.  I love my TV, but I hate the way my TiVo downsamples all my shows to 480i.  :/  There is an HD Tivo coming this summer...whenever that is.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 06:06:41 PM »

I use Time Warner's HD DVR box.  It's better than the one I had used in the past as it has options for, "New Episodes on This Channel" and such, where with the older one you'd have to make it record them all on that channel.  Since December it's been top notch.  (I've never owned a TIVO)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 06:28:29 PM »

My parents have the Cox DVR.  It's fine and will certainly do the trick but the interface pales in comparison to Tivo IMO.  

Still, the Cox DVR is generally cheaper per month and (here's the biggie) is dual tuner so you record two shows at once, something Tivo doesn't offer unless you are a DirecTV subscriber.  

So, I would probably go with the Cox offering.  

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
If you have HD and Cox is offering, get it. I love my TV, but I hate the way my TiVo downsamples all my shows to 480i. :/ There is an HD Tivo coming this summer...whenever that is.

Well, there's actually been an HD Tivo for almost two years now but its available only to us DirecTV suscribers.  Much more fully featured than plain vanilla Tivo too.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 06:34:47 PM »

For example, doesn't Tivo automatically record shows it thinks you would like.

Those are "Suggestions" which work poorly at first but after you start watching more shows and rating shows you like with a thumbs up, or ones you do not like with a thumbs down, it'll get more accurate in what it records.

I find I rarely have time to watch anything from the recorded Suggestions but from time-to-time will find a gold nugget in there - such as Amazing Race which I never bothered watching until I watched an episode that was in Suggestons - now I'm hooked.

If your looking for an HD unit TiVo's out. They won't have their HD unit out until the 2nd half of 2006.

Comcast also has a dealie with TiVo in the works where the TiVo software will be used on their DVRs but again no exact dates have been given when that rolls out.

I guess another plus for TiVo, and I don't use it for this but know many who do, is that you can hook it up to your network (provided you find a working adapter) and can transfer shows from the DVR to your computer or vice versa.

There are some other minor neat TiVo functionalities too such as when fast forwarding the show will actually jump back a few seconds when you hit play button. That way you don't miss a thing coming out of commercial whereas, I believe, other DVRs just start playing where you hit play (which could be several seconds in to the show).

Whatever choice you make DVRs are pretty cool. I didn't buy in to the whole notion it would change the way I view TV until I got one and found out it had.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: