http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 02:01:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DVDs to cost $1.50!  (Read 745 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 23, 2006, 10:11:33 AM »

....if you are in a country with Piracy.  

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12425693/

The "simple pack" edition of the Oscar-winning epic, which comes in a cardboard folder rather than the standard DVD plastic box, went on sale earlier this month in selected Chinese cities, said Christine Hu, CAV Warner public relations manager.

"This is a first step to see if the consumer can accept this product at this price," Ms Hu said, adding that it was too early to judge the results of the experiment.
Personally, I'm glad that I get to pay an extra 15 bucks for my plastic case.  I understand what they are trying to do, but it is sure to really irritate many people in developed countries.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 06:41:38 PM »

I understand their reasonings (somewhat), but it still pisses me off due to how much our prices are jacked up. DVDs are cheap to mass produce, period. And this only proves that.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 07:03:43 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
I understand their reasonings (somewhat), but it still pisses me off due to how much our prices are jacked up. DVDs are cheap to mass produce, period. And this only proves that.

DVDs are cheap and you don't need something like this to proves that. Pirated movie DVD is sold for about $ 0.50 here in Jakarta.

But while DVDs are cheap to manufacture, shooting movies are not.

You can say the same with computer and console games. Those cd/dvd media are cheap to produce so why they want us to pay $30-$50? The answer is that you need to develop the game first before you can cheaply duplicate them.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 09:05:53 AM »

Note:  It was pointed out a long time ago that nearly 95% of DVD sales are profit to the movie companies.  In fact, that's a lot of where their money is coming from, not from the theaters.  

That's more of what we're talking about.  With games, CD/DVD sales are the primary focus of the publishers.  With DVDs?  It's almost /all/ profit.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 09:18:33 AM »

Meh. I don't mind paying between 10-15.00 for a movie or between 25 and 35.00 for a television season.

if you hunt the sales it's not hard to find movies cheap.

i don't buy many at all anymore as most movies these days never seem to be 'perfect' from start to finish.  

I focus on seasons: Futurama, Batman:TAS, and of course the Simpsons (season 8 being the last DVD purchase of any kind).

I'd rather rage about jacked up music prices, but I buy nearly all of my CDs from yourmusic.com and at 5.99 a pop, I'm content...though if I want a new release I'll pay up to 12.00.  Still not atrociious, but well overpriced.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 12:51:19 PM »

Don't forget that China's average GDP per capita (2005) was $6,300 while ours was $42,000.    $1.50 is still far too expensive for most Chinese to afford.  When you consider most countries in sub-Saharan Africa, many of which have an average GDP of around $1,200 then you realize that developing countries simply cannot afford what we can afford.  

So, put yourself in the shoes of the DVD companies.  You want to reach markets globally (ala Coca Cola) and you can still make enough of a profit margin on sales of $1.50 DVDs for it to make sense...  

It's one of the joys of a capitalist market.  It's better that those companies have the ability to do that than that they don't, in my opinion.

xbox live: nude rick james
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 04:26:49 PM »

This is what we call "price gouging".

I'm willing to be that, at $1.50, the movie industry is STILL making a profit.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 02:52:03 AM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
Note:  It was pointed out a long time ago that nearly 95% of DVD sales are profit to the movie companies.  In fact, that's a lot of where their money is coming from, not from the theaters.  

That's more of what we're talking about.  With games, CD/DVD sales are the primary focus of the publishers.  With DVDs?  It's almost /all/ profit.

If the movie didn't make enough money from theaters to cover the cost then they need to try to cover that from DVD sales. And there are a lot more movies that didn't make it in theaters than those that make it. Now you can probably claim that for movies that earned profit in theater release then they can afford to release DVD at US$ 1.5 each but why would they do that?

For a mostly capitalist nation, I'm surprised that Americans think that corporate making more money = bad.smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: