http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 04:58:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DVD Tuesday 8/17/04  (Read 2044 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2004, 07:02:49 PM »

Released DVDs from The Digital Bits

Nothing for me this week, but if you really want to watch Mike Golic chase after Slater on Saved By the Bell: College Years, then this is your week to party.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 07:07:29 PM »

What, no Goodfellas?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 07:20:09 PM »

Yah exactly, thats my pick there, Ill be picking that one up eventually, if not this week.
I will probably also rent Godsend, it looked like a good thriller. Good for a rental

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 07:21:17 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Nothing for me this week, but if you really want to watch Mike Golic chase after Slater on Saved By the Bell: College Years, then this is your week to party.

Saved By The Bell? Isn't that show like a decade + old? Lordy. Just a little late to the DVD party, eh?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 07:33:39 PM »

Hell, they just released Sledge Hammer a couple of weeks ago, so it's catch-up time for studios and their old TV shows. smile

Goodfellas was a great movie, just not one I'm up for watching again and again. Hence, not going to pick it up this week. I might someday, but not today.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 08:21:28 PM »

I've gotta decide between Goodfellas or Shaolin Soccer.  Whichever one is cheaper is the one that gets bought.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 02:18:09 PM »

Shaolin Soccer looks like it could be fun, in an off-the-wall kind of way. But for my kick-ass Asian cinema fix, I'm waiting for Jet Li's Hero. That looks nine kinds of wicked cool. biggrin

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 03:30:01 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Shaolin Soccer looks like it could be fun, in an off-the-wall kind of way. But for my kick-ass Asian cinema fix, I'm waiting for Jet Li's Hero. That looks nine kinds of wicked cool. biggrin

Yeah, great for a movie that's been in release for almost 2 years now and is available on DVD legally (if you have a region free player) if you wanted to see it.  Shaolin Soccer was much the same though, except that one took 3 years to see theatrical release in the states.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 04:02:50 PM »

That's because Miramax has a nasty tendency of buying foreign movies' US distribution rights then sitting on them for a year or more while trying to figure out how to market to our stupid white culture. As such, they throw about ideas like renaming movies, to completely re-editing them, to changing the dubbing to be more stupid (for whatever reason). Downright aggravating, and if I could find a region-free player I'd be an import fiend. biggrin

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 06:03:00 PM »

I do have an region free dvd player...and I am an import fiend.  Don't do it Mitch...its expensive. slywink

As for the redubbed + subs I think Crouching Tiger was one of the worst redubbs Iv'e seen.  Some scenes were just flat out wrong or the meaning was exactly opposite of the original Mandarin language track.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004, 06:34:23 PM »

I'm glad I never watched the re-dub version of that. I would have were I a kid, then I realized that not only was it stupid looking watching badly dubbed actors outside of a "Godzilla" movie, but that I was really getting a half-assed version of the movie. Then I started paying attention to sub-titles and now I'll only prefer the dub on certain anime (Cowboy Bebop among them).

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 07:54:54 PM »

I always through Cowboy Bebop was one of the better dubs as far as anime shows went. I remember watching quite a few episodes with subtitles turned on. While it wasn't exact, it was almost always very close and the meaning was always there.

Now.. shows like Yukikaze..  THAT is some bad dubbing. Terrible.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 02:57:45 AM »

I'll be getting the B5 movies.  Looking forward to that.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: