http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 10:28:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DVD Tuesday  (Read 1901 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2004, 11:25:49 PM »

/assumes mantel of CG DVD Lord

According to The Digital Bits, quite a bit of fun comes out today. I'd be most curious about the Predator: SE disc, but I'm a nut for that movie. There's also Kill Bill, Vol. 2 but I'm waiting for the mega-boxed set versus getting double-dipped. This is exactly why I waited on The Matrix as I knew there would be future editions some time, and the flick wasn't worth getting by itself.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 11:42:43 PM »

I too am waiting for the Kill Bill deluxe set.  I might rent them (since I didn't see them in the theater), but I'm not going to buy them.

I do have the Matrix movies.  I'm in no hurry to upgrade those.

Doesn't look like too much for me this month, let alone this week.  I might be tempted by Predator.  I will pick up the Criterion release of Slacker.  That's all I really saw on my quick glance through.

Glad we have our own resident DVD lord!  Keep it up week in and week out to remind me!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 02:36:37 AM »

I just finished watching the Samurai Jack Season 1 dvd set. When does season 2 come out, mr expert? I'm thinking of trading in some crap DVDs I got burned on to get KB Vol2 since I haven't seen it, and since I already have Vol 1.

How is the movie? I expect it to be way slower than 1, but I keep hearing bad things...

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 10:59:12 AM »

I think I'll just be getting Predator.  I want to get both Kill Bill's but like others, I'm waiting for a deluxe edition.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 04:19:26 PM »

Kill Bill v. 2 is much different than the first.  It is a completely different kind of movie.  It's good, but it's mainly dialogue.  So, if you like Tarantino dialogue, you're in for a treat.  Otherwise, you might just find it to be OK.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 07:06:41 PM »

I picked up Kill Bill Vol.2 yesterday - one of my favorite movies of all time and I *really* enjoyed watching it again.  I don't care if I get double-dipped - the Kill Bill series is definitely worth it, imo.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 07:10:30 PM »

I've been debating on the Predator SE.  It comes with a ticket to AvP but I'm thinking it'd be cheaper to keep the original edition I have of Predator and see AvP in a Matinee....sigh.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 07:14:14 PM »

Quote from: "Balshazaar"
Kill Bill v. 2 is much different than the first.  It is a completely different kind of movie.  It's good, but it's mainly dialogue.  So, if you like Tarantino dialogue, you're in for a treat.  Otherwise, you might just find it to be OK.

Think of the movies this way:

Kill Bill Vol. 1 - Eastern influence (think bloody Japanese/Chinese movies and anime)

Kill Bill Vol. 2 - Western influence (slow, more dialogue than action; think Sergio Leone movies)

It will be interesting to see how he fuses the two movies together.  I'm almost positive he edited the movies into two by the influences above.  It will be interesting to see if he goes the Pulp Fiction route of jumping linearity (like the Kill Bills currently do) or if he re-edits the films into a linear pattern.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 07:48:06 PM »

He screened the full version at Cannes this past May and except for the intro to Vol. 2 (the B&W recap of the first half) the movie was the same, only supposedly the ending felt more earned. Not to mention that Tarantino rips the rug out from under you at the end of the second piece by showing who exactly the Bride is. Great movie and I'm dying to see the full version. smile

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 07:52:41 PM »

*SPOILERS*

Yes, the Bride is indeed named and her name is no longer beeped out like it is for all of the first movie and most of the second movie.

Also I wouldn't say he rips the rug out from under you, the flashback(s) about the history of the Bride takes up a good portion of the first hour and second hour of the movie, so it's not exactly a "pulling the wool over your eyes" type of thing.

*END SPOILERS*

Xbox Live: AgtFox
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2004, 08:02:10 PM »

Not in the way "The Village" tries to surprise you, no, but when you find out that the woman you've cared about this whole time and seen everything she's gone through, you actually think she might be a good person who was in over her head. Then it's revealed she really is a flat-out cold-blooded killer that changed for her daughter's future and the life she could lead. Then you start to think, is this person genuinely worth getting emotionally attached to as a character?

What I like about Tarantino is his ability to bring that humanity to even the coldest of characters (Bill is brilliantly portrayed in that regard) so that you root for them, but at the end you almost feel guilty about it. smile

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: