http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 10:15:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DVD Tuesday - 2/1/05  (Read 1510 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2005, 03:18:37 PM »

There is nothing else of interest. Pick up the best series on television prior to another quickie FOX cancellation. Quirky, moving, gut-bustingly funny one minute and heart-wrenching the next, Wonderfalls was simply brilliant from the get-go. Some people might not find it quite as funny as I, and to those people I offer my pity. I said I would remind everyone when this show hit disc, and today is that day. As has been mentioned, the show revolves around Jaye, an over-educated under-motivated slacker who works in the gift shop at Niagara Falls. Her family is leagues beyond her, but then inanimate objects start talking to her and she thinks she's going nuts. One of the running gags is that all the objects talk around the subject and she has to figure out what she needs to do to get them to shut up. Unlike Joan of Arcadia, the show isn't cloying nor is it obvious as to "which side" is talking to Jaye.

I'm dying to see the unaired episodes, as FOX only showed four before killing it. As if we needed further convincing that retarded monkeys run that network. Oh yeah, here's the rest of the release list:

America's Heart and Soul
Andromeda Season 3 Collection
Babe Family Double Feature
Bad Girls Extended Version
Blue Lagoon/Return to the Blue Lagoon
Bodyguard:Se
Bopha
Brak Show 1
The Broadway Melody of 1929
Chariots of Fire:Se
Charmed:Complete First Season
Cheers:Complete Fourth Season
Degrassi Junior High - Season 1
Fall Guy
Frasier:Complete Fourth Season
Grudge
Henry Rollins:Shock and Awe
I Love Lucy:Complete Third Season
Karate Kid Collection
Killer Barbys Vs Dracula
La Commare Secca - Criterion Collection
Last Days of Patton
Laughing Policeman
Look Who's Talking Collection
Mr 3000
Mulan II
New Jersey Drive
Night and the City
Oz: Complete Fourth Season
The Palm Beach Story
Penn & Teller Season 2 Bullsh*T
Ray
Ray (Widescreen)
Ray Harryhausen: The Early Years Collection
School Daze Special Edition
Sealab 2021 - Seasons 1 & 2
Sealab 2021: Season 2
Secrets and Lies
Shall We Dance
Shall We Dance - Japanese Version
She Hate Me
Star Chamber
Sympathy for the Underdog
Taxi - The Complete Second Season
Thieves' Highway - Criterion Collection
Vanity Fair
Where the Buffalo Roam
Wind in the Willows
Wonderfalls: Complete Series

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 03:41:57 PM »

Cheers
Frasier
Leaning towards getting Wonderfalls (depends on price)

Might get Charmed, Season one if it's cheap.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 03:44:04 PM »

Ive seen all the Eps skim, and you are gonna love em.  They had actualy finished the season when they got the rug pulled out from under them.  you will be happy to know the first season actualy had a resolution ... and ending.  infact im not real sure if this show was supposed to run more than one season.  mabey thats why Fox dropped it.  Anyway buy this DVD.  Wonderfalls was the best thing on TV in a very very long time.  Put it like this if i had my choice, id trade both Lost and Desperate Housewives to have Wonderfalls back.

AttA
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 03:49:39 PM »

Hmmmm....I'm such a dork but that Karate Kid box set calls to me.   *clicks chopsticks*

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 03:58:53 PM »

The Grudge and Charmed are on my list...
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 04:04:10 PM »

Quote from: "AttAdude"
Ive seen all the Eps skim, and you are gonna love em.  They had actualy finished the season when they got the rug pulled out from under them.  you will be happy to know the first season actualy had a resolution ... and ending.  infact im not real sure if this show was supposed to run more than one season.  mabey thats why Fox dropped it.  Anyway buy this DVD.  Wonderfalls was the best thing on TV in a very very long time.  Put it like this if i had my choice, id trade both Lost and Desperate Housewives to have Wonderfalls back.

That's what I'd heard from Tim Minnear, that they actually had a complete 13-episode arc and storyline that wrapped up on the off chance they weren't renewed. Funny how that works, no? smile I'm content with LOST, but please get Deperate Housewives off the air. It's when unholy crap like this hits it big that I seriously wonder about the collective IQ of the viewing public. Wonderfalls, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Arrested Development are brilliant examples of television comedy done correctly. What does Desperate Housewives have? Terri Hatcher getting hit in the face with a fake bull in a bar. Boy, let's give that one a Golden Globe and a future Emmy nod.  :roll:

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 04:32:37 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

That's what I'd heard from Tim Minnear, that they actually had a complete 13-episode arc and storyline that wrapped up on the off chance they weren't renewed. Funny how that works, no? smile I'm content with LOST, but please get Deperate Housewives off the air. It's when unholy crap like this hits it big that I seriously wonder about the collective IQ of the viewing public. Wonderfalls, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Arrested Development are brilliant examples of television comedy done correctly. What does Desperate Housewives have? Terri Hatcher getting hit in the face with a fake bull in a bar. Boy, let's give that one a Golden Globe and a future Emmy nod.  :roll:

I know you dont like the show, but its really a shame you detest Desp Housewives.  it actualy falls in with all 3 of the above "good" shows you listed up there.  It has the alot of the same characteristics, alot of the same type of sarcastic black humor, and alot of the same sarcastic off the wall story lines.  Did you see it from the first EP or just catch that one in the cowboy bar?

Do your self a favor and when the first season comes out watch it from 1 to 14, i think you will be plesently surprised.

In a way the show plays out like a mesh between the first season of twin peeks and northern exposure.... only in suburbia.

It has questions every bit as big as who killed laura palmer, but it also features this strange messed up people in the most normal of places theme, just like the above 2 shows.

AttA
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 04:44:06 PM »

Karate Kid Collection - I've had the horrible pan & scan version for 6 years now.  Unfortunately it means I also have to own the horrible (for completely different reasons) Karate Kid 3.  But for $25, it's worth it just for 1 & 2.

Oh , and Brak Show 1, and possibly Ray.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 05:01:24 PM »

From the glowing review I'll put Wondefalls in met Netflix queue.  Nothing else for me, though.  Netflix is my lifeline now that I'm on a budget and I don't currently have TV service.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 05:07:29 PM »

I know you dont like the show, but its really a shame you detest Desp Housewives.  it actualy falls in with all 3 of the above "good" shows you listed up there.  It has the alot of the same characteristics, alot of the same type of sarcastic black humor, and alot of the same sarcastic off the wall story lines.  Did you see it from the first EP or just catch that one in the cowboy bar?

Do your self a favor and when the first season comes out watch it from 1 to 14, i think you will be plesently surprised.

In a way the show plays out like a mesh between the first season of twin peeks and northern exposure.... only in suburbia.

It has questions every bit as big as who killed laura palmer, but it also features this strange messed up people in the most normal of places theme, just like the above 2 shows.

That's the thing - I AM actually going off of the first episode on. The only difference between this and the normal day-time soap crapfests is that it airs at night with bigger name actors. Remember when there was going to be this "Big Mysterious Death of a Major Character" and all they did was kill a background character who certainly wouldn't look that great in lingerie? It's just a lame series, IMO, but it managed to hit at just the right time and struck just the right nerve with people so go figure. I'm happy for all involved to be front and center on such a major hit.

AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 05:09:02 PM »

That's the thing - I AM actually going off of the first episode on. The only difference between this and the normal day-time soap crapfests is that it airs at night with bigger name actors. Remember when there was going to be this "Big Mysterious Death of a Major Character" and all they did was kill a background character who certainly wouldn't look that great in lingerie? It's just a lame series, IMO, but it managed to hit at just the right time and struck just the right nerve with people so go figure. I'm happy for all involved to be front and center on such a major hit.

/shrug, i could not disagree more, but that dont matter right. at east you have seen the show and have a frame of reference, most people dont even have that.   I once saw this show compared to sex in the city.  
 To each his own.  at least we have lost lol.

AttA
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 06:14:43 PM »

Yeah, I have to disagree with wbs here as well.  I find Desperate Housewives to be a pretty darn good program.  Granted, it isn't on top of my list for best shows on now, but I do watch it and enjoy it.  Going on one episode with this series would be a difficult tell of how good it is.  Think of this analogy...someone walks into Lost with next week's new episode.  They're going to wonder what the hell is going on and probably not watch it again until the DVD comes out (which I hope is going to be not long after the end of TV season as my wife caught on too late and I told her she'd have to wait for the DVD to comprehend it at all).  Same thing goes for Desperate Housewives...there is a very deep plot there, moreso than your standard soap opera.

The show I most like that is just like a soap opera (doesn't dig too deep with plot or an elongated plot arc) is The O.C. on Fox.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 06:47:56 PM »

That's the fun of opinions and the internet - everyone's got one, and now everyone can voice theirs. biggrin Hell, I think Firefly was vastly overrated, though enjoyable from the mid-way point on yet when I say Firefly is anything other than the Second Coming people get irate so go figure.

LOST, on the other hand, is the best show on TV now that both Wonderfalls and Angel are off the air. biggrin

Regarding the other DVDs on the list, has anyone actually gone back to the original years of Cheers? I'm curious how that holds up as I was never interested in it while it was on.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 08:06:53 PM »

Speaking of opinions WBS  :wink:

I will just say this about Wonderfalls.  I missed the premiere episode, but there was so much buzz about it that I was ready to watch the premiere episode when it reran.

I think I got about 10 minutes into it.  It was just painful to me.  I think that I saw the main character as so apathetic that I couldn't care less about what happened, and I just changed the channel.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Rubyeye
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2005, 08:35:05 PM »

Dammit, I got all excited when I saw "Fall Guy" there but it is some retardo movie and not the outstanding 1980's 1 hour action series!

omgz
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2005, 08:50:58 PM »

Graham, watch the first episode in its entirety first. Jaye by the end of it actually feels good about doing something for someone else. The punchline is when she realizes she's just getting started. The episode that I pull my signiture from has a heartfelt and hilarious ending when Jaye reads off how she feels about each of them. There's also the episode with the priest, which left me stunned by the ending because I could not figure it out. But again, there was a ton of heart on display there and I was actually moved. Go figure. biggrin

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2005, 08:53:23 PM »

Quote from: "Rubyeye"
Dammit, I got all excited when I saw "Fall Guy" there but it is some retardo movie and not the outstanding 1980's 1 hour action series!

Don't feel too bad Rubyeye.  I have been waiting FOREVER for the DVD release of Emergency!  The best damn 1-hr show on TV ever!  I would pay $1,000 for the entire 7-seasons right now.  It's just wrong that recent shows (and mostly crap too) are released on DVD before the older shows.  Its wrong.

And the worst part is nobody, and I mean NOBODY knows anything about whether it is going to be released or not.  I'm frustrated to no end.  Can't you tell?  :evil:  I even posted a thread here a few weeks back to see if anyone knew anything.  Nobody did.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2005, 04:14:13 AM »

I'm really surprised that Ray is on DVD already. It was only released to theatres in October as a limited release, then in November as a wide release, which makes it less than 4-6 months. I would encourage everybody to see this movie.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2005, 04:43:59 AM »

According to IGN, the rush to release Ray on DVD had its consequences:

The Video

There is only one word for this transfer: shameful. Since I've started reviewing DVDs, I've seen good, bad and adequate transfers, but this is the first disc that actually made me angry. Presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic, the picture is a catalog of flaws and errors which are inexcusable for a AAA-title like this.

Colors are weak and washed out; highlights are frequently blown out; edge-enhancement is common and black levels are weak, causing shadow details to suffer. Anything that's not in the extreme foreground looks as soft and fuzzy as a kitten and the backgrounds are generally a mushy watercolor blob. The flashbacks scenes, digitally colored to hype the red soil and green grass of Florida and exaggerate the contrast, look even uglier.

While these flaws are apparently on their own, the deleted scenes only serve to accentuate the shoddiness because while they're too dark and non-anamorphic, the colors and detail are far richer than the main feature. Since the extra scenes only make up about one-sixth of the overall running time, we're left with a mostly messed-up picture.

For a second perspective, I also checked out a segment on a standard TV, and the differences in picture are negligible. Overall, the picture looks a bit better, though moiré patterns now appear. If you're watching on a regular TV, it may be adequate, but discerning home theater owners will note the flaws.

Score: 4 out of 10

-Autistic Angel
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2005, 05:48:16 AM »

I guess they wanted to beat the awards and have it come out before them. Such a shame. They should have waited much longer to release it. I bet many people will skip over it because of this frown
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: