http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 08:37:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DVD Releases (1/25)  (Read 2702 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2005, 03:05:41 AM »

After last week's pretty week releases (only standouts in my mind were Friday Night Lights, Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 3 and Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars if you missed it on SciFi), this week was a very nice one and one that I've been waiting for...

The big releases:

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
AvP (Aliens vs. Predator) - yes, it probably sucks, but I bet a people will pick it up, I will rent it
MacGuyver Season 1 - if you're into it
The Wire Season 2
Metallica: Some Kind of Monster - documentary
Batman: The Animated Series Vol. 2 (28 episodes)
Superman: The Animated Series Vol. 1 (18 episodes)

I picked up Sky Captain, Batman and Superman.  Circuit City has a nice Batman price of $29.99, although no Circuit City stores around here had them so I had to go price match at Best Buy...who had tons of them.  Superman is going for $19.99 at both Best Buy and Circuit City.

I loved the Batman animated series and Superman had its moments.  If I ever have kids I hope to show them the height of American-produced animation when I was growing up.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 03:51:45 AM »

I got Sky Captain and AvP.
Watched AvP today. It could have been better but I didn't think it was as bad as I've heard.
We'll watch Sky Captain tomorrow for lunch.

Ye Olde Farte
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 03:59:12 AM »

I got Sky Captin and I am disappointed.  I haven't watched the DVD but I opened is and there is no insert listing the chapters!

Come on!  How cheap are they getting?

dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 04:01:08 AM »

How did Sky Captain do at the movies and with the critics?

Ye Olde Farte
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 04:21:11 AM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
How did Sky Captain do at the movies and with the critics?

I think critics seemed to like it for the most part, but it bombed at the box office, earning about 1/2 of what it cost.

I will be picking that up and the Back to the Future DVD set at Best Buy on sale.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 04:39:04 AM »

No love for Batman: TAS? frown

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 07:26:45 AM »

One of the most interesting comments, I found, about the DVD of Sky Captain went along the lines of that, had the movie been exactly the same but with a name like Spielberg or Cameron or Jackson listed as director, the movie would have made like half a billion dollars. Haven't seen the movie, so I can't really comment on how insightful that thought is, but I find it interesting none the less.

Anyway, I'll be buying Batman Vol 2, and renting Sky Captain, AvP, Some Kind of Monster, and Curb Season 3.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 08:09:25 AM »

The Wire 2nd Season is really tempting....but I haven't finished watching the 1st yet.  :shock:

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 12:19:25 AM »

Went on a Predator spree, picking up the SE's of Predator and Predator 2 as well as AvP.  I didn't really want AvP, but I have all the Alien and Predator films and it was only $15 or so, so I bit.

Predator thumbsup

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 12:23:22 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Went on a Predator spree, picking up the SE's of Predator and Predator 2 as well as AvP.  I didn't really want AvP, but I have all the Alien and Predator films and it was only $15 or so, so I bit.

Predator thumbsup

i'm about the same, but i resisted the AvP purchase due to my innate and overpowering hatred of the director.  I did get Predator 2: SE to go along with the first one.  

I'm a little miffed that they crammed the last 2/3rds of the Superman: AS Vol. I set onto a double sided dvd.  That's just cheesy, if you ask me.  They didn't do this with the Batman AS Vol I or II.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 05:28:56 AM »

I picked up AvP. Mostly just because it's AvP, not because it's actually any good.

I'm going to grab both the first and second Batman sets all at once this Friday if I can afford it.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 06:54:17 AM »

Picked up Batman (but haven't seen it yet) and rented Sky Captain. I would say that SCatWoT is a wonderfully imaginative movie that could have used another rewrite to tighten the plot and nix some poor dialogue. That's also being somewhat generous, since I dug the intentionally unlikely events, going along with the pulp feel the movie set out to emulate. Throughout the entire movie I kept thinking I was watching a respectable but lesser Raiders. I wouldn't buy the movie, but I'd definitely recommend it as a rental, if only to see the amazing visuals and cool world that the writer came up with.

Scat Wot is worth a look!

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2005, 07:34:55 AM »

AvP for me.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2005, 11:54:01 AM »

Just Sky Captain for me.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2005, 02:33:09 PM »

I heard rumor of an AvP Director's Cut...anyone?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2005, 04:33:04 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Which is why I am waiting on this.  I have been burned quite abit lately on Director's Cuts coming out after I buy the standard version.

I have no clue if a DC is coming for this, but I seriously have to believe it's coming eventually.

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2005, 06:27:29 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"

Which is why I am waiting on this.  I have been burned quite abit lately on Director's Cuts coming out after I buy the standard version.

I have no clue if a DC is coming for this, but I seriously have to believe it's coming eventually.

LD

I thought that this was supposed to be the DC of AvP.  Basically it is an additional two minutes of gore added in.  Nothing much new.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2005, 07:27:16 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"
Quote from: "Lockdown"

LD

I thought that this was supposed to be the DC of AvP.  Basically it is an additional two minutes of gore added in.  Nothing much new.

According to The Digital Bits, there is an SE in the works, true enough, but as for a brand new cut that will replace the suck with coolness? Not gonna happen. Same goes for the fabled Director's Cut of "Event Horizon" - a movie that was monumentally badass in its first half and then turned on a dime into a poor man's Hellraiser close. Rumors have swirled for years that Paul "What Script?" Anderson had more than an hour of footage yaddaa yaddaa, but this has been debunked.

Basically if his name is attached to a movie, it will not be good or memorable. Moments may be had, but just like that... they're gone. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2005, 09:51:33 PM »

I grabbed the Batman and Superman Animated Series DVDs.  Both are great cartoons, with Superman almost as good as the Batman series.  I'm really looking forward to some of the Volume 3 Batman shows, as well as the next run of Superman with some of the Darkseid episodes in them.  Good stuff, and for the most part better then the Justice League shows that are on now (with the exception of a few episodes).

---
XBox Live: ScottW
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2005, 09:55:24 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
One of the most interesting comments, I found, about the DVD of Sky Captain went along the lines of that, had the movie been exactly the same but with a name like Spielberg or Cameron or Jackson listed as director, the movie would have made like half a billion dollars. Haven't seen the movie, so I can't really comment on how insightful that thought is, but I find it interesting none the less.

Anyway, I'll be buying Batman Vol 2, and renting Sky Captain, AvP, Some Kind of Monster, and Curb Season 3.

Im not sure about that.  What i thought SC&WT was one of the most visualy appealing and unique movies ive ever seen, the story was at the same time one of the worst ive ever heard.  

They lost me about the time a plane shifted its props to the back side of the wing, and promply dove underwater where it acted as a fully functional moterized sub.  Suspension of disbelife only goes so far for me.

AttA
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2005, 10:17:30 PM »

Maybe I am in the minority but I liked AvP alot. Come on now. Did you really think the plot would be that good when you heard about it? The plot wasn't very clever.

To me, they did a good job. Yeah, some things could have been done better but still, I was smiling the whole way through.

At least they didn't bastardize the franchise by changing things all around. All three races stayed true to form except their wasn't devious traitor humans this time around which I admit to missing.

The cliffhanger at the end was cool. Can't wait for the sequel and maybe then they will add some plot.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2005, 10:57:54 PM »

Quote from: "Scoop20906"
Maybe I am in the minority but I liked AvP alot. Come on now. Did you really think the plot would be that good when you heard about it? The plot wasn't very clever.

To me, they did a good job. Yeah, some things could have been done better but still, I was smiling the whole way through.

At least they didn't bastardize the franchise by changing things all around. All three races stayed true to form except their wasn't devious traitor humans this time around which I admit to missing.

The cliffhanger at the end was cool. Can't wait for the sequel and maybe then they will add some plot.

Im with you man, it was a good dumb action flick.  It was i think, exactaly what it should have been.  I do have to say the shot where the girl and the Pred are running and their hair/dreds where bouncing in tandem... ohhh god most cheesy shot of the year.

AttA
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2005, 10:00:07 AM »

Quote from: "Scoop20906"

Um ... when I heard about the setup, I knew that the plot would be ridiculous. Before that point, I had hoped for an intelligent, interesting, and creative means of blending the two franchises together ... like the damn comics that the vs pairing came from! Just because you walk into the theatre expecting the story to be stupid doesn’t mean that the movies still isn’t stupid.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2005, 10:48:55 PM »

Yeah, so ... AvP is a horrible movie. Oh God it's horrible on so many levels. You know, I don't even care to get into it, because honestly, there are so many frustrating elements that a person could just rant for an hour or two. And yet I'm glad I saw (rented) it, because there are parts - very few parts - that are actually entertaining, that manage to graze upon the essence of what I was hoping the entire movie would be like. It is just such a crying shame that two awesome movie franchise were given this crap as their culmination. Now I want AvP 2, and I want it to have nothing to do with this movie.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: