http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 09:34:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DVD Box Sets-Keep Them in Carrying Cases or Original Boxes?  (Read 752 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2007, 06:49:00 AM »

Strange question I know-why not jut figure out what I prefer? The question really is whether or not carrying cases scratch or damage the cds and do you guys use them? I have many many boxed sets, primarily star trek and things of that nature. Unfortunately, as many of you know, the box sets for Deep Space Nine and Voyager are made truly as shitty as possible. The construction is just pathetic and the boxes are very fragile. I treat my dvd sets and books like gold and never abuse them-I literally don't even let me girlfriend touch them smile However, one ds9 case is already 2/3 broken from wear and tear, and another is on its way-so my question is do many of you circumvent the abuse to the boxes by putting your dvds in carrying cases so you dont have to open the containers and risk them being damaged every time you get a disk or put it back in?
Gromit

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 07:01:02 AM »

My game CDs I put in sleeved book-type containers. 

My DVD sets?  Not so much.  smile  They stay in their original packaging.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 07:19:08 AM »

Quote from: Gromit on February 09, 2007, 07:01:02 AM

My game CDs I put in sleeved book-type containers. 

My DVD sets?  Not so much.  smile  They stay in their original packaging.

Are you seeing any of the wear and tear that is frustrating me? I am curious if I just got unlucky a few times.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 07:41:54 AM »

So far I've not gone thru my DVD boxed sets more than twice and the cases (and dvds) have held up well.
Are you a monster of a man who rips things out?  icon_wink

Ye Olde Farte
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 07:44:52 AM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on February 09, 2007, 07:41:54 AM

So far I've not gone thru my DVD boxed sets more than twice and the cases (and dvds) have held up well.
Are you a monster of a man who rips things out?  icon_wink

No man!! Honestly, I keep insanely good care of my dvds and books especially. I handle each dvd with care, only open the cases a crack when possible, etc. Its just that a few of the sets, especially DS9 and Voyager, are so shoddily made that they simply start to break apart. frown
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 09:18:09 AM »

I've never had a problem with my DVD box set cases.  If one started to get worn out, I'd consider putting it into some kind of alternative storage.

Or you could do something like this guy.  I believe he has them up for anyone to use.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »

Movies and CDs I keep in their cases.  The case is about half the reason I get it.  If someone could care less about the case, stuff inside, and the decorated media, you may as well just pirate it and have all your stuff on a generic CD/DVD with the name markered on it.

Games are a bit more complex.  Lots of them have a big, bulky box.  I keep the box, but if I can't it's not big deal.

I'll be happy when all games come in DVD cases: I really love how DS games come in a nice little case.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 03:00:55 PM »

original cases, NO DOUBT.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 04:12:09 PM »

I really love the Alias complete 5 seasons box set but I may have to buy some of those 6 disc cases because the DVD's come in 6 seperate cardboard binders where you have to slide the discs into sleeves and I can see them scratching the DVD's over time.  I'll keep the cube the came in though.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 04:21:53 PM »

Yeah that's a good point: some cases just plain suck.  I also hate how some of them make it nigh impossible to get the disk out.

I have some really nice sleeves with a really soft cloth backing, they even have punch holes in them for keeping in a binder.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 04:55:29 PM »

I wind up putting all of my DVDs in my two DVD changers (storage for 800), and then toss the original boxes into storage, so I'm probably the exception rather than the rule.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 05:00:58 PM »

Original boxes for all of em. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 08:05:42 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on February 09, 2007, 04:21:53 PM

Yeah that's a good point: some cases just plain suck.  I also hate how some of them make it nigh impossible to get the disk out.

I have some really nice sleeves with a really soft cloth backing, they even have punch holes in them for keeping in a binder.

Thats the problem with the two specific series I have mentioned-the other box sets I have have held up incredibly well-but its worrisome nonetheless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: