http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 03:31:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you actually watch the extras that are on those special editions?  (Voting closed: March 25, 2005, 04:59:36 PM)
Yes, every time - 5 (10%)
Most of the time - 12 (24%)
Occasionally - 21 (42%)
Almost never - 11 (22%)
No - 1 (2%)
Total Voters: 50

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DVD's, Extra Features, Whatnottery  (Read 1575 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 25, 2005, 04:59:36 PM »

Ok, so we've all fallen victim for the 'buy it today and then buy it again as a special edition' trap at least once.  Here is my question for you:

Do you actually watch the extras that are on those special editions?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 05:07:28 PM »

Absolutely, being the DVD addict that I am. But I'm to the point where I refuse to succomb to the double-dip. The guy at the local store was stunned when he heard I never bought the original Matrix on disc, but my argument then was I knew they were making two more so the extreme pack that would later come out would be all I needed. Then I watched the two sequels and thought, "Forget it." smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Boxcar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 05:26:06 PM »

Amost never.  Might catch a bloopers reel if there is one (the wife likes to see mistakes, probably because she's used to so many from me) but that's about the extent of it. I watch the movie to be entertained and when it's over, it's over. Usually not interested in hearing why this scene was shot with a filter or that scene was almost cut.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 05:29:45 PM »

The extra features that I usually watch are things like deleted scenes... speaking of which... about a year/year and a half ago TBS or TNT showed an extended version of The Goonies... anyone know anything about this?  Would love to find an extended edition DVD of it.  ANd I assume eventually the Harry Potters will be released as extended editions.. I caught the extended edition of Sorcerors Stone on ABC Family and it had a lot of little extra scenes that made a difference in my opinion.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 05:59:46 PM »

I caught the extended edition of Sorcerors Stone on ABC Family and it had a lot of little extra scenes that made a difference in my opinion.

Sigh...there is another double dip for me. :/

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 08:34:48 PM »

As for the Harry Potters, consider this a tip for any film series - if they are still making them, wait. There will be a huge collector's bundle pack of all the movies released a year or two after the final one. At that point and that point only, will I pick up the Harry Potter series. By that time they'll be on HD-DVD too, so there will be plenty more room on the discs for extras and video/audio quality improvements.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 08:45:22 PM »

i watch the extras if they turn out being something worthwhile...the quality varies a lot, and you can't be sure what you'll get until you start digging in.  for example, i've watched virtually all of the extras on the first two extended-edition LotR films...absolutely great content if you can find the time to enjoy it all.  the same things goes for most of the Pixar films...very entertaining and informative pieces most of the time.  on the other, i've been picking up the "platinum edition" Disney releases just to get the films on DVD...most of the extras are kid-oriented stuff that i have very little interest in.  it really goes both ways for me.

that said, i will admit that i very rarely take the time to listen to DVD commentaries.  there are a few rare gems that are interesting, but a lot of them are not worth the time of "watching" the movie all over again just to listen.

i try not to double dip too often though.  instead, i follow releases of films that interest me pretty closely and try to stay informed about future releases.  i'm not too hesitant to hold off if i know something better is on the way...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 09:01:16 PM »

I was an extras junkie when they came on the same disc as the movie.  But now that the extras usually come on a separate disc, I rarely look at them.  Though I do still listen to most of the commentaries.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 10:21:59 PM »

As for the Harry Potters, consider this a tip for any film series - if they are still making them, wait.

Uh...I own this place, it should be clear I have no self control.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 11:48:18 PM »

I'll watch them if I really like the movie.  Mainly, I'll try to listen to the commentaries and catch bloopers.  Featurettes usually have a lower priority, but if I have enough time I'll watch those.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 11:49:50 PM »

I only watch them if someone recommends them to me.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2005, 05:12:26 PM »

I watch lots of the extras.  I really like the commentary on comedies.

I think the DVD with the best extras has to be Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2005, 05:49:01 PM »

I always watch deleted scenes, and in rare instances I'll listen to the commentary.  That's all, though.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2005, 06:24:49 PM »

Quote from: "Dramatist"
I watch lots of the extras.  I really like the commentary on comedies.

I think the DVD with the best extras has to be Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

I just wish that they got the surviving members in the same room to do it.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2005, 06:25:39 PM »

I made a decision a while ago that I was not going to get ripped off on anymore DVD's due to their multiple releases.

I only just picked up Spider-Man 2 in the last few weeks because the Superbit disc finally showed up in Best Buy.

I'm a total whore for DTS soundtracks, but I knew sony would do a superbit of SM2. So I just waited, and waited.... and waited.

And finally.. Victory!

I do occasionally watch a commentary track, but otherwise it has to be a movie I'm really really interested in for me to watch any of the other special features. I usually go for a disc based on reviews of it's picture transfer/audio tacks.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2005, 07:28:49 PM »

I have been TRYING to avoid double dipping lately, but I have done it twice now in the last two weeks, first with Iron Giant SE for 15 bucks, and second when I found that 40th anniversary Saving Private Ryan huge SE for 10 bucks, which I could not pass up!! But I try not to. Anyways, on to the original question. If I like the movie, I tend to watch all of the specials, although I usually have to go back later to sit through the commentary, I dont like ruining the movie for myself by watching it twice immediately.
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2005, 11:59:54 PM »

Always:

Ensemble commentaries (e.g. LotR, Futurama)
"Making Of"s
Blooper Reels

Usually:

Duo/Trio commentaries
Featurettes (Visual Effects, Music etc.)

Rarely:

Solo commentaries (only if I really like the person, e.g. Joss Whedon)
Deleted scenes
Gimmicks (games, etc.)
WestNile
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2005, 01:03:51 AM »

I will watch all extra content for movies I consider great, like Saving Private Ryan. Total Recall, and Rambo II. Anything on the level of Hollywood pop-corn flick, no.  They only add extra so you guys (with little self discipline  biggrin ) will see it as an amazing deal.  All those numbers and "features" next to many bullet points just drive some people crazy.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2005, 06:58:57 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Ok, so we've all fallen victim for the 'buy it today and then buy it again as a special edition' trap at least once

Speak for yourself! I never have, period.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2005, 11:59:40 AM »

neither have i... but i own like, less than 15 DVDs (and they're mostly music video compilations)

one thing that can go to hell, however, are animated menus.  they're usually stupid-looking and add unnecessary extra time to menu navigation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: