http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 07:27:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dune series - any good after the first book?  (Read 1509 times)
Huw the Poo
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Please feed dog

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2008, 04:23:26 PM »

After reading, and loving, the first Dune book I tried a couple of times to get through the sequels, but failed each time.  It's been a while so I can't remember exactly what I didn't like, but I've always felt that I should read the lot and I'm quite willing to put the time in if it's worth it.

So...is it worth it?  I think I dimly recall thinking that the next book got really crazy and a lot more difficult to follow.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 04:30:22 PM »

I loved the first novel but then they got progessively worse for me which is not good when you read as slowly as I do.  I got about half way through the fourth novel and realized it wasn't worth my time.  Of the three and a half books I read, they got worse and quickly worse at that.  They became less image intensive.  And the themes weren't overpowering.  The supporting characters seemed to blend together so that keeping them straight became difficult.  I didn't care for the writing, so I could no longer appreciate the world.

But I am in the tiny minority in this opinion.  People swear by those novels.
Bcarle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 04:44:26 PM »

I liked the series up until I think the Children of Dune - the 4th or 5th one?, it got way out of hand for me to follow. 

bob
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 04:51:38 PM »

If you read Dune Messiah right after Dune they form one continuous story which I think wraps up pretty well. Messiah does not have the grand scope of the first book, but it finishes off Paul's story by trying to explore what would happen to someone who had perfect prescience and could see everything that was going to happen before it happens. 

I would stop there.   The rest of the books are OK but not nearly as good as the first two IMHO.  The funny thing is I love how Herbert ended Chapterhouse, but it was all ruined years later by his son in Hunters of Dune when they allegedly "found Herbert's notes for 2 more books hidden in a safety deposit box."

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 05:00:51 PM »

I read about the first 100 pages of Messiah and never picked it up again.  I'd rather just re-read Dune - everytime I read it again, I pick up on some new nuance or thread in the original story.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 05:13:14 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on May 23, 2008, 05:00:51 PM

I read about the first 100 pages of Messiah and never picked it up again.  I'd rather just re-read Dune - everytime I read it again, I pick up on some new nuance or thread in the original story.

Actually Messiah is the same way if you give it a chance.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Belhazamar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 05:19:21 PM »

Not so much. 

I do pretty much the same as Pyperkub.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 05:23:46 PM »

Last year I took on the task of reading every single Dune book in storyline chronological order starting with the 6 prequels by Frank's son, reading the 6 original Dune books and then the final two sequels by the son. I enjoyed them immensely and appreciated the fleshing out of the back story done by the son.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
calebsdaddy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 06:32:15 PM »

I have read all of the prequels and the 6 Frank Herbert books, and loved every minute.  I will say, however, the first time I read the second book, Dune Messiah, I wanted to hurl.  I put it down for two years and then reread them happily.

FTL
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 03:30:15 PM »

I didn't like Dune at all.  I've reread the first book trying to see what the appeal is, and I still can never get into it.  I even read Dune: Messiah, and still nothing.  I might need to turn in my geek card.  Can someone explain to me what is the appeal?  I feel like I'm missing a theme or that there's something that I'm missing aside from just the words on the page, like there's something deeper that I'm just glossing over.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 04:40:59 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot to say thanks for the input in this thread.  Thanks!  Seems like I'm in the majority (for once).  I loved Dune but I thought it was a fairly complete story and I can live without reading the rest of the series if it's too hard-going.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 06:26:14 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on May 23, 2008, 05:00:51 PM

Concurrrr. I got about halfway through Messiah and felt like it was "work" to turn the pages. Never a good sign.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
UsulofDoom
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 08:44:06 PM »

I've read the first book 3-4 times, then the second half way then all the way. Then I finished Children of Dune but just could not get into any more of it. So I'll just stick with the first one.

Now I feel like picking it up again.  smile

I also loved the first movie made in 1984. I read the book before I seen the movie .I know if you had not read the book you would have been lost, but since I did I loved it.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 08:49:05 PM »

Another fan of the first book who couldn't get into any of the sequels.  I suspect the people who like the other books love the world and that those of us who only like the first book were more interested in Paul and his story.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 11:44:07 PM »

I thought all the books by the son were not very good, the storys were so simplistic and the writing not all that good.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 07:42:11 PM »

i couldn't even get past page 70 in the original book. the constant 'thought balloons' were making me rageous and i had to stop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: