http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 08:58:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downton Abbey  (Read 932 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2013, 01:35:57 PM »

Couldn't find a thread on this (how is that possible?).

Good lord.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!  Not Super Hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 02:04:02 PM »

So I gather you're a rich republican then?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 03:20:43 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 28, 2013, 02:04:02 PM

Well, that's just ridiculous.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 05:48:19 PM »

is this one of those shows where you have to wear a skirt to watch it?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 05:52:19 PM »

I watched the first series on Netflix and while I enjoyed it I didn't see what all the hubbub was about.  But I'm assuming this thread is about some spoiler for the current season?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 05:54:14 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 28, 2013, 05:52:19 PM

But I'm assuming this thread is about some spoiler for the current season?

from the cast list and the spoiler I'm guessing:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Maggie Smith got whacked with a poison crumpet.

biggrin

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 06:45:35 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 28, 2013, 05:52:19 PM

I watched the first series on Netflix and while I enjoyed it I didn't see what all the hubbub was about.  But I'm assuming this thread is about some spoiler for the current season?

It's a general discussion thread, but prompted by a spoiler for last night's episode.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 02:40:03 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 28, 2013, 05:48:19 PM

is this one of those shows where you have to wear a skirt to watch it?

icon_lol

Lord, I hope not. My wife's fanatical about it. Watches each new episode 2-3 times, bought the first two seasons on DVD (doubling the size of our library), bought a book about it...and extracted a promise from me to watch it with her.

I made her the same deal that she gave me for The Walking Dead -- I'll watch 3 episodes, and if I'm not hooked she'll never mention it to me again. She loves shows about the British class system, and especially the waning days of the aristocracy. I like historical dramas, but don't have any special affinity for England or for that particular time. 

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 11:41:01 PM »

Amazon scored a deal for future seasons of this shown via streaming:

Good news for Prime members. We've just completed a deal with PBS to make Prime Instant Video the exclusive subscription home for streaming Downton Abbey's Season 3 starting in June, and all new seasons for years to come. Prior Seasons 1 and 2, already the most popular TV seasons on Prime Instant Video, are available now for catch up viewing—and will also become exclusive to Prime Instant Video later this year.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 03:28:53 AM »

Paul Giamatti is joining the cast.  I may have to watch this now.

Because I can,
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 07:28:00 AM »

Well, I watched enough of it to get hooked. It's a good take on a pivotal time in history, when aristocratic/feudal England was yielding to modernity. The WW1 scenes are as good as any others I've seen.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 10:08:35 PM »

The wife and I are followers. But what we got a chuckle out of is, the other show I love, Coronation Street.
I began my devote following of Corrie when I was just a lad of 5 or 6. My mum would sit me beside her while she
watch the first years of Corrie. I have now followed it for over 50 years.

Anyway, there was a great character on Corrie for far too short of a run. He was called, Liam, the tough business man type.
He's been demoted a tad I see now though. He plays the deviously-out-of-the-closet, man's man. Very sinister, plotting and
planning back stabbing actions that could lead to his rise in the ranks of the "down stairs lot"

Grace: Unmerited favor.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 10:33:46 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on June 29, 2013, 10:08:35 PM

The wife and I are followers. But what we got a chuckle out of is, the other show I love, Coronation Street.
I began my devote following of Corrie when I was just a lad of 5 or 6. My mum would sit me beside her while she
watch the first years of Corrie. I have now followed it for over 50 years.

Anyway, there was a great character on Corrie for far too short of a run. He was called, Liam, the tough business man type.
He's been demoted a tad I see now though. He plays the deviously-out-of-the-closet, man's man. Very sinister, plotting and
planning back stabbing actions that could lead to his rise in the ranks of the "down stairs lot"

I visited Coronation Street when i went on the Granada Studios Tour in the 90s...they were all fake doors/houses,gutted...especially Rovers Return,LOL

They are moving it now,they have rebuilt it at their new studios that i think they now share with BBC in Salford,Greater Manchester
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/soaps/4891042/coronation-street-new-set.html

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 07:51:22 AM »

Drama, Comedy, Romance and topless Maggie Smith promised for season 4 (spoilers from last season).

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 08:24:43 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 15, 2013, 07:51:22 AM

Topless Maggie Smith?..i hope that means she's not wearing a hat!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 08:24:48 AM »

who knows... biggrin

Because I can,
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 02:34:54 AM »

I officially bailed on this show effective with tonight's episode. I started to lose interest -- and the show started to wander -- when WW1 ended. Then a few weeks ago they threw in a subplot that was completely gratuitous because they felt like a particular character (OK, Anna...if you're watching you know what I'm talking about) was too happy or needed some conflict. It crossed completely into soap opera territory at that point. Now that The Walking Dead is back on the same day and time, I am done with Downton.

The first two seasons were really good, I'll give it that.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 05:24:06 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on February 10, 2014, 02:34:54 AM

I officially bailed on this show effective with tonight's episode. I started to lose interest -- and the show started to wander -- when WW1 ended. Then a few weeks ago they threw in a subplot that was completely gratuitous because they felt like a particular character (OK, Anna...if you're watching you know what I'm talking about) was too happy or needed some conflict. It crossed completely into soap opera territory at that point. Now that The Walking Dead is back on the same day and time, I am done with Downton.

Wow, I couldn't agree less about the Anna storyline.  It has brought some excellent performances, made other characters even more important (Mrs. Hughes, in particular went from a supporting character to an outright favorite in my book), and has me stirred up in the most intense of ways.  The end of tonight's episode highlighted all of those elements particularly well.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 07:16:54 AM »

I just didn't buy it. It felt forced and arbitrary, from a plot/writing standpoint. I was being manipulated to feel  icon_eek but I only felt like  Roll Eyes I hung in there for a couple more weeks but increasingly felt that Downton has become a parody of itself.

Which is not to say that I'm right and you're wrong; my wife's still thoroughly engrossed in it. They just lost me and I wasn't really their audience in the first place. They'll get over it.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 01:23:08 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on February 10, 2014, 07:16:54 AM

I just didn't buy it. It felt forced and arbitrary, from a plot/writing standpoint. I was being manipulated to feel  icon_eek but I only felt like  Roll Eyes I hung in there for a couple more weeks but increasingly felt that Downton has become a parody of itself.

Which is not to say that I'm right and you're wrong; my wife's still thoroughly engrossed in it. They just lost me and I wasn't really their audience in the first place. They'll get over it.

I'm sure it would have felt forced and arbitrary if it had been the stranger they keep pretending it is.  They built it up well with that guy, IMO.

Now Mary's various suitors have felt a little arbitrary, OTOH.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 02:47:02 PM »

I didn't bother with watching this season after it seemed everyone in England hated it, saying pretty much what Ironrod said. Too bad, loved the first two seasons.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 04:21:56 PM »

You leave Downton cause of lost interest but watch the Walking Dead? That show stopped being good after the first season.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 04:24:09 PM »

Quote from: Lee on February 10, 2014, 02:47:02 PM

I didn't bother with watching this season after it seemed everyone in England hated it, saying pretty much what Ironrod said. Too bad, loved the first two seasons.

The ratings for season 4 in the UK were as high as past seasons.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 04:45:15 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on February 10, 2014, 04:24:09 PM

Quote from: Lee on February 10, 2014, 02:47:02 PM

The ratings for season 4 in the UK were as high as past seasons.

Just going off of people I follow on Twitter, who were disgusted by how soap opera-y it got. There a few articles at the time in the English papers talking about it as well. (Yeah everyone = people I follow on twitter. icon_wink )
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 04:59:25 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on February 10, 2014, 04:21:56 PM

You leave Downton cause of lost interest but watch the Walking Dead? That show stopped being good after the first season.

Either zombies or TARDIS guest appearances would bring me back to Downton. Make it both and the awesomeness would be off the charts.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 05:58:27 PM »

I have been watching the whole series for the past few weeks, and started series 4 last night. I enjoy it a lot, even if it is a soap opera wrapped in period piece clothing. It's supposed to be MORE soap opera this season?! It's been nothing but a soap since the start. smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 08:19:04 PM »

The first couple of seasons were steeped in class, manners, tradition vs. modernity, and the eventual impact of world war sweeping away the aristocracy's grip on the world. The soap-opera plots and character arcs all grew out of the feudal tradition being overthrown. Those themes are still there, but they feel more forced now, while the soap opera has moved to the fore. This is what I mean when I say it's become a parody of itself.

It's still a very well-written and -acted soap opera and I don't disparage anybody for liking it. Maggie Smith alone is worth the price of admission. I just stopped caring about it.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 03:20:46 PM »

Curious about this. When the title, "soap opera" is given to a show what does that mean to you?
To me its always conjured up images of over acted, poorly directed, cheap sets and B rank and file actors.

I don't see Downton in that light. That's why I'd like to know others definition of the phrase.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 03:49:58 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on February 11, 2014, 03:20:46 PM

Curious about this. When the title, "soap opera" is given to a show what does that mean to you?
To me its always conjured up images of over acted, poorly directed, cheap sets and B rank and file actors.

I don't see Downton in that light. That's why I'd like to know others definition of the phrase.

I guess the definition means the shows plots come from the personal likes/dislikes of characters with each other. So its all about this character hates that one, and this character is in love with this one etc. and the plots about outside stuff like WW I aren't' there as much. For example the love triangle stuff that has been going on with the 2 young girl cooks(Daisy and Ivy) and the valet would be an example of a 'soap opera' plot I'd say.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 03:57:59 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on February 10, 2014, 08:19:04 PM

It's still a very well-written and -acted soap opera and I don't disparage anybody for liking it. Maggie Smith alone is worth the price of admission. I just stopped caring about it.

You can't leave out the Grandmother/Duchess. Her couple of one liners and facial expressions she gets every show are some of the best stuff on TV.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 04:36:39 PM »

When I heard this season was soap opera-y it was because there was a plot twist that wasn't very believable. I read what that twist was, it didn't seem too out there to me though. I will watch this season eventually.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:45:55 PM by Lee » Logged
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 05:19:09 PM »

All they really need is to have some married couple be revealed to be brother and sister and have someone come back from the dead and they'd have hit all the major soapy plot points. smile

Three episodes into season 4 (or two episodes by the way PBS broadcast it) and I'm still enjoying it, suds and all, though I was groaning a bit at how they've decided to add more angst and turmoil to the Bates couple.

-John

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 05:25:18 PM »

Quote from: Lee on February 11, 2014, 04:36:39 PM

When I heard this season was soap opera-y it was because their was a plot twist that wasn't very believable. I read what that twist was, it didn't seem too out there to me though. I will watch this season eventually.

I wouldn't call that unbelievable at all, if it's the angst mentioned by JCC.  I also think they've handled it quite believably.

This show has always been about what I guess some are calling soap opera drama in uppstairs/downstairs trappings.  They toyed with the Mary/Matthew will-they/won't they stuff for multiple seasons, for example.  And the hot one hooked up with the driver.  There was scandalous death by sex in the first season and financial intrigue aplenty. 

They even did bring someone back from the dead already (though he wasn't a character we knew).  Granted, it was the single worst storyline in the show's history, but they did it.

I guess the point is this show is what it has always been.  I'm not sure why people think it's turned into something different.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 05:38:47 PM »

Life is soapy.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2014, 09:27:29 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 11, 2014, 05:25:18 PM

They even did bring someone back from the dead already (though he wasn't a character we knew).  Granted, it was the single worst storyline in the show's history, but they did it.

Did they? I liked how they left that ambiguous, but I left that thinking he was a fraud.

-John

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2014, 01:26:24 PM »

Quote from: JCC on February 11, 2014, 09:27:29 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 11, 2014, 05:25:18 PM

Did they? I liked how they left that ambiguous, but I left that thinking he was a fraud.

True, I probably should have slapped some quotes around that.  I think because it was nice to see Edith have some connection for once, it was a little believable...oh, wait that plot was just terrible.  Why am I pretending to care?

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2014, 06:44:43 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 12, 2014, 01:26:24 PM

...oh, wait that plot was just terrible.  Why am I pretending to care?

LOL. That greatly encapsulates my continuing reaction to the show. I can't quite explain why I enjoy it as much as I do, since many of the plot lines irritate me, but it's just so charming and well performed, I keep returning to it. Plus, as others have noted, any scene with Maggie Smith is just fantastic.

-John

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2014, 08:21:58 PM »

Quote from: JCC on February 12, 2014, 06:44:43 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 12, 2014, 01:26:24 PM

...oh, wait that plot was just terrible.  Why am I pretending to care?

LOL. That greatly encapsulates my continuing reaction to the show. I can't quite explain why I enjoy it as much as I do, since many of the plot lines irritate me, but it's just so charming and well performed, I keep returning to it. Plus, as others have noted, any scene with Maggie Smith is just fantastic.

When she was sick this week, I said to my wife that if she died every TV in America would shut off.

The face bandaged mystery man was the only story line that really bothered me to any major degree (man, did I hate that).  I actually enjoy the writing and performances all around.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2014, 09:37:30 PM »

I didn't mean to imply the writing is poor... far from it. But, the plots are far less engaging than the characters, dialog, and scenery (for me).

When I finish with series 4, I am going to give "Upstairs, Downstairs" a try. I have heard some fans describe Downton Abbey as "Upstairs, Downstairs for morons". smile

-John

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2014, 09:40:46 PM »

On another note, I enjoyed looking at these photos of the actors in/out of their Abbey garb. It's particularly striking how much more attractive Edith is outside of the show.

Pics in/out of character
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:42:34 PM by JCC » Logged

-John

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: