http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 04:41:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Door to Door Salesmen (fun times)  (Read 556 times)
naednek
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2014, 01:19:32 AM »

So I get a call from my wife telling me that a carpet cleaner salesman (kirby) came to the door and she foolishly answered the door.  The dude aggressively entered my home without permission scaring the crap out of my wife.  He then said he would come back a few minutes later with the cleaner.  My wife locks the door and shortly after him and a woman comes ringing the doorbell incessantly.  We have a sign over our doorbell asking people to not ring because of kids taking naps, but of course they don't care to take notice.

They finally leave and Erin is shaken up.  She calls our neighbor to have him call the police.  I come home from work early and start driving around the neighborhood looking for him.  The police stopped by our house prior to me coming home.  I see the cop driving by and pull him over (yes I did biggrin) and explained the situation.  He found the guy sitting at the park.  I drove off still looking for the guy in case it wasn't him.  Drove back towards the park and the guy was sitting in the back of the car...

Moral of the story, don't answer the door when you are alone Tongue
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 01:35:17 AM »

Questions:

Your wife called the neighbor to call the police? Why didn't she just call them?

What would you have done if you found him before the cops did?

What did he do to be "in the back of the car"? Meaning, did he do something illegal?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:51:00 AM by Lee » Logged
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 01:51:31 AM »

Quote from: Lee on January 22, 2014, 01:35:17 AM

Questions:

Your wife called the neighbor to call the police? Why didn't she just call them?
She didn't have the non-emergency number and it was probably a decision made in panic.
What would you have done if you found him before the cops did?
I would have told him to don't ever enter our house without permission and explained what he did to my wife emotionally because of his aggressive behavior.
What did he do to be "in the back of the car?"
I don't know, I wasn't the officer.  He could have just been detained.  He could have had a warrant for his arrest unrelated to today's incident, or he could have been charged for illegally entering a home.  We didn't press any charges so who knows.  I don't care, but the dude had no business to forceful enter our home.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 01:54:13 AM »

Just as I finished answering the phone the police showed up to our house to follow up.  They detained him in handcuffs and was ready to write him up for trespassing.  However while doing that an officer unrelatated to this call was involved in an accident, so he let him go.  The kid is from Fairfield who works for West Coast Distribution, they sale Kirby Vacuums.  They are known for hiring college students to sell their products.  The officer said they get a lot of calls for incidents like this where salesmen are too aggressive.  He said if he did cite him, our address would have been listed, so I think we're fine on scaring him and hope that he has learned his lesson.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 01:57:11 AM »

Fair enough. This is why I am not married, I dated a girl who freaked out over something similar, and I was frustrated with her for not just telling the guy to get the hell out.

I would say call Kirby, but they probably encourage crap like that.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 01:58:12 AM »

Quote from: Lee on January 22, 2014, 01:57:11 AM

Fair enough. This is why I am not married, I dated a girl who freaked out over something similar, and I was frustrated with her for not just telling the guy to get the hell out.

I would say call Kirby, but they probably encourage crap like that.

YA I have their number.  The cop called them also and reported it, but in the cops words the guy on the phone sounded like a hood rat Tongue  So I doubt it would be taken seriously anyways.  

I dont' think it's a girl thing, I'd be shaken up if he forcefully came in my home with a 3 year old an 1 year old being home.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 03:39:53 AM »

Quote from: naednek on January 22, 2014, 01:19:32 AM

Moral of the story, don't answer the door when you are alone Tongue
Or always answer it with a large attack dog..and a shotgun....and maybe a leopard...
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 03:31:15 PM »

We get the magazine kids all the time.  Not aggressive at all, and they're actually nice and are trying to do something with their lives, so we always want to encourage them and wind up buying two or three subscriptions before remembering that there is no discount on these things.  We always wind up spending close to $100 bucks.  And they come all the time.

My wife mocked me the first time it happened.  She was the one who answered the second time, and wound up spending almost twice what I did!

Now it's easier just to pretend to not be home when the doorbell rings in the middle of the day.  It feels weird to be tiptoeing until they leave.  But it's easier than discouraging them.  And it's a lot easier than spending a ridiculous amount of money on magazines we don't even read when they come.

Also, this skill helped me dodge the recent visit from honest-to-God Jehovah's Witnesses.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 03:43:51 PM »

I made the mistake of letting one of these Kirby guys in the house.  I had a long day which started 9 time zones and a 10 hour flight away, so at 730PM, not in the best condition to make decisions. 

what was 'a very short demonstration' became 2 and a half hours.  getting him to accept that I wasn't going to buy was like prying a tick off your back.  every version of 'no' and 'not now' became an invitation for him to practice his sales 101 skills on me.  I actually enjoyed it at one point as it brought back all of the sales training I had about 15 years ago as I threw out every rejection just to see how he reacted.  I think he eventually relented after he realized I was playing this game with him. Nice guy, but they are so highly motivated that I'd never recommend letting them in your house.

as for the vacuum, it's actually very impressive compared to the dyson we have;  makes me wonder what is wrong with them such that they feel door-to-door is the way to go. 

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 04:36:13 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 22, 2014, 03:43:51 PM

what was 'a very short demonstration' became 2 and a half hours.  getting him to accept that I wasn't going to buy was like prying a tick off your back.  every version of 'no' and 'not now' became an invitation for him to practice his sales 101 skills on me.  I actually enjoyed it at one point as it brought back all of the sales training I had about 15 years ago as I threw out every rejection just to see how he reacted.  I think he eventually relented after he realized I was playing this game with him. Nice guy, but they are so highly motivated that I'd never recommend letting them in your house.

as for the vacuum, it's actually very impressive compared to the dyson we have;  makes me wonder what is wrong with them such that they feel door-to-door is the way to go. 

We recently had the same experience.  Mrs. Gratch made the appointment because he said he'd use it to get out some stains in our carpet.  They were nice though, not pushy at all...kinda the opposite of Naednek's experience.  The kid took forever with the demonstration and it was funny watching him counter every objection I threw out.  To his credit, once he realized I wasn't going to buy one, he kept his word and got out 3-4 stains that two professional carpet cleaning services hadn't been able to remove.  I actually kinda want a Kirby vacuum now, but not for the crazy prices they're asking for them.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 04:53:43 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 22, 2014, 04:36:13 PM

We recently had the same experience.  Mrs. Gratch made the appointment because he said he'd use it to get out some stains in our carpet.  They were nice though, not pushy at all...kinda the opposite of Naednek's experience.  The kid took forever with the demonstration and it was funny watching him counter every objection I threw out.  To his credit, once he realized I wasn't going to buy one, he kept his word and got out 3-4 stains that two professional carpet cleaning services hadn't been able to remove.  I actually kinda want a Kirby vacuum now, but not for the crazy prices they're asking for them.
curious, but what did you talk him down to on the price?  before he admitted defeat and started acting like a human instead of a salesman, I could have had one for $999.  I was a bit shocked that they wanted 2500 initially. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 05:41:52 PM »

...I actually enjoyed it at one point as it brought back all of the sales training I had about 15 years ago as I threw out every rejection just to see how he reacted.  I think he eventually relented after he realized I was playing this game with him...

I used to run a telemarketing department in Boston (for a theater, so it wasn't entirely evil).  After that, I'd often string along telemarketers who called me, just to see how bad most of them were.  I'd give them some tips by the end of the call.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 06:08:56 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 22, 2014, 04:53:43 PM

Quote from: Gratch on January 22, 2014, 04:36:13 PM

curious, but what did you talk him down to on the price?  before he admitted defeat and started acting like a human instead of a salesman, I could have had one for $999.  I was a bit shocked that they wanted 2500 initially. 

He started at $3,500 and was down to $900 by the time we were done.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 01:28:29 AM »

Tell them you'll let them live and leave if they leave the vacuum behind
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 07:01:11 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 23, 2014, 01:28:29 AM

Tell them you'll let them live and leave if they leave the vacuum behind

Lol.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 03:17:46 AM »

So they came back today.  I didn't know at the time, and I said too much.  I didn't realize it was them until I saw the name of the company on the flier.  I talked about our last experience.  So now, they know who reported him.    Now to feel uneasy for a while.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 03:43:13 AM »

You should read some of the stories about the kids that get on those "mag crews". Pretty awful stuff - they can wind up stuck across the country from their home with no way to get back because their employers are restricting their money. A lot if them also steal things from people's houses. When I read about that and found out how much they also ripped people off on the magazines I never talked to them again.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: