http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 04:18:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom Movie  (Read 1428 times)
DarkEL
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2006, 01:55:23 AM »

All right - I never got around to seeing the movie in theatres and with all the negative comments floating around about it - I didn't figure I was missing much.  But Netflix delivered a copy to me on Friday and I watched it last night.

And either my expecations were already set really low or I have crappy movie taste - but i didn't think it was that bad. Granted not something i would want to own but it seemed to be a fairly enjoyable action movie for a late saturday night.  Really enjoyed the final battle (even though I was hoping for  a cyber demon)

As an aside - I also watched Flightplan with the wife earlier in the evening and personally I found Doom to have a far more plausible story. 24th chromosone and all.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 02:00:03 AM »

I watched Doom last weekend with a friend.  Enjoyable enough.  It wasn't anything that I would see more than once unless I caught it for free on Sci-Fi, but I was glad I saw it.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 02:10:32 AM »

I have'nt watched it yet but I like all The Rock's movies. I see the cheese in them but he makes them fun to watch anyways. The offbeat humor is great too.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 02:20:15 AM »

I was actually surprised at how slow it was.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 02:38:14 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

The Unreal Tournament movie will be faster.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 02:39:22 AM »

Quote from: "tiny ogre"

The Unreal Tournament movie will be faster.

Promise?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 02:58:27 AM »

All the rednecks think it's a cool movie. :wink:

Ye Olde Farte
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 03:05:47 AM »

You need a really good rig to get a decent framerate on it, otherwise it runs slower than a pillow fight between a dozen grandmothers.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 04:45:55 AM »

I'll go ahead and be the one to say I found it awful.  I just could not think of a reason why it needed to be called Doom.  Why take all those years to try to get the game made into a movie when the only similarities will be shadows, the BFG and naming the scientists after the game developers?  Felt like they bought a script that was close enough and slapped Doom on the cover.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 04:59:54 AM »

I saw it on dvd recently, not a bad way to kill some time.  I saw the uncut dvd version though, so seeing that guy's head get blown off was worth it all by itself.  

That girl in it is pretty hot, and she's in The Libertine, which is getting alot of "that was depraved/vulgar/nasty" type of reviews...which means she  might get naked in it. Let's hope anyways.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 06:49:16 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
I have'nt watched it yet but I like all The Rock's movies. I see the cheese in them but he makes them fun to watch anyways. The offbeat humor is great too.

All the things that make The Rock's other movies entertaining are entirely missing in Doom.

It is second only to Ultraviolet in my "Worst movies I've seen in the last several years" list.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 08:23:39 AM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
Quote from: "Daehawk"

All the things that make The Rock's other movies entertaining are entirely missing in Doom.

It is second only to Ultraviolet in my "Worst movies I've seen in the last several years" list.

As I posted in the other thread, I really thought Doom was worse than Ultraviolet.  They're both really bad, but Doom "wins".  There's a tipping point on bad movies where they start to get so bad it's just fun to watch them and laugh at them.  Ultraviolet, like lots of bad movies, is on the right side of that line, you can have some fun with how bad it is at least some of the time.  I also think UV tried, just failed, to be something greater, I don't think Doom even tried.

Doom is actually one of the most amazing bad movies ever in that it never really dips below that line.  I think it actually managed to redefine where that line is.  There's nothing good about it, but there's also relatively little you can really point and laugh at either.  I've watched more bad sci-fi channel movies than I would care to admit, and though they were almost all far worse movies than Doom on the surface, they were also almost all far more entertaining.  Doom is possibly the biggest waste of time ever.

Also, (Minor spoiler for a movie you shouldn't ever watch coming up) Doom is a movie based on a first person shooter, and at the end, they throw their guns away and have a fist fight.   :x How dumb is that?
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 09:24:39 AM »

Does he give the "Rock Bottom" to anyone in the film?
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 12:49:35 PM »

Just like with any FPS game I got a little sick watching the part that was in first person. :?

Ye Olde Farte
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 07:20:50 PM »

I guess I've lost all credibility but I actually enjoyed it. I went in to see at the theaters expecting pain and suffering but found myself actually enjoying it, much to my dismay.

Ascendent
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 07:47:10 PM »

I am about half way through it and I have to say it is better then I expected.  Maybe it is because I watched Alien Vs. Predator over the weekend but Doom is looking good.

First off I actually know the names of the characters!  There were characters in AvP who died without the audience ever knowing their names!  At least I know who dies in Doom.

The costumes are good, the sets are good, and while the story isn't great it is Doom so I wasn't expecting a story.  

Perhaps by the end I will feel differently but as of right now it is a good video game adaptation.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2006, 07:57:09 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"

Have you watched the movie DBT? Were you cwutching your singing monkey teddy bear because it was too scawy for widdow DBT aww by hissewf?

:twisted:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2006, 07:59:37 PM »

I saw it at work during the mid shift and in that context it was okay.  Didn't care for most of it but I thought:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Making The Rock the villain

was somewhat close to almost being an interesting wrinkle.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2006, 10:09:08 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Quote from: "dbt1949"

Have you watched the movie DBT? Were you cwutching your singing monkey teddy bear because it was too scawy for widdow DBT aww by hissewf?

:twisted:

Actually I enjoyed the movie.............and I was holding on to the stuffed mallard duck,it doesn't sing. :?
Does that make me quackers?

Ye Olde Farte
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2006, 11:36:12 PM »

What would you have it sing?

Store clerk, gimme some chapstick; put it on my bill...

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2006, 08:08:36 AM »

I went in to see at the theaters expecting pain and suffering but found myself actually enjoying it, much to my dismay.

Same here, thought it was an excellent movie. The first person scene at the end (I agree loved the guy getting his head blown off) was almost worth it in itself.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: