http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 08:39:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom movie thoughts/predictions  (Read 1329 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2004, 03:23:18 PM »

Anyone else think this might just be a mountain of suck, or is it just me? I think Karl Urban is a fine bad guy, though he's got a somewhat stilted delivery and limited range, but as the lead in Doom? I don't see him carrying an entire movie on his shoulders, and certainly not one where he's got to freak out at things left and right, then shoot them. Plus the behind the scenes crew that's filling out leaves me to wonder if DMX will make a cameo by stomping on Joel Silver's corpse. Gah.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 04:50:24 PM »

I think it will probably suck.

I think Doom 3 sucked honestly.  It looked nice, but the braindead idiot who decided you can't hold your flashlight and gun at the same time should be smacked.

Go Gunners...
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 06:30:01 PM »

Agreed. As a sort of warm-up exercise to get my screenwriting skills back in business, I'm planning on writing a spec-script based off Doom 3. It'll be hilarious if it winds up being better than the one they use for the movie. biggrin

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 07:04:27 PM »

You should post it here for us to checkout when you're done with it smile

Go Gunners...
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 07:30:41 PM »

I may do that. Since I'll be in Lubbock all weekend visiting the in-laws (whee) I might have some time to just write out thoughts on it. smile I'd worked on an outline a while back for Half-Life, but I'll be damned if I can find it now.  :cry:

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 01:55:40 AM »

The Doom movie will be a test to put as much grey and black they could in a movie.

It'll be SO dark, movie-goers will need their own flashlights just to see the movie!

Theaters will need to upgrade their sound and visual equipment far and beyond what's currently available, just to play the movie well. Sure, poorer equipment can be used, but it would affect one's enjoyment of the movie.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.  :roll:

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 03:09:24 AM »

I'm totally expecting it to be terrible.

And I'll see it on opening day. Just like AvP.

And also, I'm betting that no matter how awful a movie it is, I still manage to enjoy it one way or another.

Whether it be in a "dumb fun" type of way where my brain just sort of shuts off 10 minutes into it, or in a MST3K kind of way where the movie is excellent fodder for my friends and I to rip into during multiple viewings.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 03:32:31 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
The Doom movie will be a test to put as much grey and black they could in a movie.

It'll be SO dark, movie-goers will need their own flashlights just to see the movie!

Theaters will need to upgrade their sound and visual equipment far and beyond what's currently available, just to play the movie well. Sure, poorer equipment can be used, but it would affect one's enjoyment of the movie.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.  :roll:

But if they film it digitally, those will be really crystal clear blacks we're looking at!

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 10:45:13 AM »

I'm willing to bet there will be tons of suckness going on in the Doom movie.   It doesn't generate much interest for me.   I'm just waiting for "Super Monkey Ball : The Movie".  Now that I'd see.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: