http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 02:37:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't forget! 24 starts tonight!  (Read 1928 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2005, 12:00:14 AM »

2 hour season premiere on tonight at 7 central!

Can't wait!
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 01:21:07 AM »

Yeah, as if I could forget with that stupid counter obscuring the screen during the post-game on Fox...

All this television talk here makes me wish I had a television show to be passionate about.  With college football over and the pro's winding down it is going to be a long winter...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 04:44:16 AM »

No talk about this?  It was a very good show tonight.  I really liked the fact that they scrapped the cast from the past three seasons and started fresh.

Two more episodes tomorrow night.  This is how I like to watch network TV - 4 episodes in 2 nights.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 05:23:01 AM »

It was good, but I think they were trying a little too hard to make the show exciting, leading to some overly contrived moments (even by 24's standards).  Also, someone really needs to fire whoever it is that hires the CTU workers.  They only hire people who are mentally unbalanced or domineering tyrants slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 07:37:20 AM »

I thought it was pretty intense and a good way to start the season.  It's nice to see new faces with only Chloe and the now President from last season.   Good stuff!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 07:42:36 AM »

I thought it was the best start for 24 since the first season.

It was intense from the get go, it's like they learned from last season to not waste whole episodes with soap opera type 'relationship' crap.  Just tell us who's who, and with who, and let her rip!

I used to be upset when I knew that Michelle was out, not to mention Kim, but I was pleasantly surprised that the eyecandy quotient hasn't dropped one bit. I actually like these dominatrix types more now that I think about it.

Nice to see that 24 realizes the audience wouldn't be happy if a woman close to Jack wasn't kidnapped at some point huh?
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 09:04:12 PM »

The thing that pisses me off is that I thought dropping the old cast was an attempt to streamline it when in fact we still have the same old deadweight CTU workers. I don't want anybody but Jack Bauer! Why drop the people we know for five more losers who putz around the office asking each other to break through firewalls and collate TPS reports? Hopefully CTU will get blown up again tonight.

Flat out, the CTU scenes are incredibly boring unless Jack is torturing somebody. I now HATE "significant looks".
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 11:13:37 PM »

I think the CTU scenes are ok because they were smart enough to keep the ONE CTU worker who can make a scene worthwhile all by herself- Chloe. I think she's great.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 06:07:12 AM »

Ok, that just SUCKED.  24 has become a parody of itself.  I want my 4 hrs back...

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 06:24:20 AM »

give me a break. the show has been doing those kinds of things from the beginning. this is nothing new.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 06:28:59 AM »

I'm not sure why they choose to make CTU a den of personality-disordered, dysfunctional misfits.  Crikey!

The rest of the show was good.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 07:55:01 AM »

*spoiler for this episode*

I loved all that office politics stuff going on at CTU, it's like watching someone build a bigger and bigger house of cards and waiting for that moment when it all comes tumbling down. When it did it was cool, Chloe and Jack in custody-that surprised me.

Really, I think this is the best season since the first one, I don't see where the parody comes in.  Kim being kidnapped multiple times, a character with amnesia, that was all before the first season was even over.   If any standard of 'reality' was gonna be expected it doesn't make sense to expect it now.
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 01:57:54 PM »

I liked these better than the first two just because Jack got to do something. Still packed with retarded CTU workers and "significant looks". Joss Whedon can plan whole seasons and these fools can't plan more than six episodes? Time to get new writers.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 08:57:04 PM »

Great start IMO. I'm glad they almost completely changed the cast. They needed to after season 3 which I never watched all the way through(definatly the weakest one).

Chloe is great. Her attitude and the looks she gives are the best. Keifer is also just great in is role. Jack Bower just kicks ass. The ending of episode 3 when he "improvises" a way to keep the terrorist held up for awhile longer is classic 24.

Yea the shows outrageous at times but so what? Its 10 times btter than the usual sitcom, police, or hospital show crap that is shown so much on TV these days.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 09:24:09 PM »

Maybe I'm just sick of the formula.  I really like the first season, with the exception of the amnesia scenes and excessive Kim subplots, and season two started off good, but they shoulda just nuked LA when they had the chance- would have been a great twist. I grew weary of it after that, and season 3 just looked meh.

It just seems to me that they are trying waaaay to hard this time around.  My wife and I took turns predicting what was going to happen next, and we generally got each one right.  Nothing shocked us other than the how bad it was.  And the computer stuff?  Puh-lease!  Take down the internet?  positioning code for a major attack, as if it were a game of risk? wtf?!?!?  The Jack Bauer character is basically McClane from the Die Hard series now, another character who devolved into self parody.  

I actually have a tiny bit more faith that Alias will be good this season, but the premiere of that was pretty weak too.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2005, 09:37:41 PM »

I think you are just tired of the show.  I know I'm at that point with Lost right now, I'm spending time as I watch speculating on what everything means and what everyone's flashback will be, instead of just watching and enjoying the show.  I think that if tonight's show doesn't actually show a creature or answer a fundemental question(such as who took Claire and why), I'm done watching it.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2005, 04:47:43 PM »

I have started to loss interest in LOST too.  I missed last nigth unfortunately because I thought it might redeem last weeks crap with the airplane. but oh well.

On the otherhand, 24 is great.  I haven't watched it before but so far I have been very impressed.  It is the one show that I got both my roomate sinto and they watched the whole 4 hours.  I guess I am not plagued with the formula yet.  I liked the whole convenience store robbery and look forward to seeing how he gets out of custody.
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2005, 08:25:50 PM »

I have heard this show was good from so many sources I decided to give it a chance this season. I gave it a good chance I watched more than the first hour of it before I got totally fed up and quit. Just a few of the things that lost me. The truck skids to a halt in the middle of the secret service agents and before any of them can lift their guns, they are shot down. This is prime movie/TV BS. Where was the truck when it was barrelling down the road at 70 for the two miles previous? You can't just teleport the truck to where you want it to go to have your plot the way you want it. The SS agents would have heard the truck long before it arrived and would have been ready for it. 6 or 8 secret service agents could have held off any number of armed men long enough to get help. Which is exactly what they don't want to happen. If they want the good guys to be tough one can take on 30 by himself and if not, they go down in 2 seconds without a whimper.  

There is no way the terrorists or anybody else for that matter could find out a guy's cell number, where he works his home address and everything else and show up in less than 15 minutes. It would take an hour to set up a tap on a cell phone even if you knew the number, and even more why would they bother?  The guy had already told them all he knew already. How could they know if they listened in on the phone he would ten minutes later call somebody and tell them exactly where he was and what he was wearing and promise to stay there? Total contrived BS.

Why take the guys daughter with you? She is an assistant and is worthless dead weight.  Why take her?  So Jack will have somebody to save. More pointless crap. They need to not think up the plot first and then figure out lame ass ways to make it not work logically. They should make things work right first and make a plot to work around that. Thus won't waste my time with the show any further. Least I didn't waste weeks.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2005, 03:51:44 AM »

Quote from: "vagabond"
I have heard this show was good from so many sources I decided to give it a chance this season. I gave it a good chance I watched more than the first hour of it before I got totally fed up and quit. Just a few of the things that lost me. The truck skids to a halt in the middle of the secret service agents and before any of them can lift their guns, they are shot down. This is prime movie/TV BS. Where was the truck when it was barrelling down the road at 70 for the two miles previous? You can't just teleport the truck to where you want it to go to have your plot the way you want it. The SS agents would have heard the truck long before it arrived and would have been ready for it. 6 or 8 secret service agents could have held off any number of armed men long enough to get help. Which is exactly what they don't want to happen. If they want the good guys to be tough one can take on 30 by himself and if not, they go down in 2 seconds without a whimper.  

There is no way the terrorists or anybody else for that matter could find out a guy's cell number, where he works his home address and everything else and show up in less than 15 minutes. It would take an hour to set up a tap on a cell phone even if you knew the number, and even more why would they bother?  The guy had already told them all he knew already. How could they know if they listened in on the phone he would ten minutes later call somebody and tell them exactly where he was and what he was wearing and promise to stay there? Total contrived BS.

Why take the guys daughter with you? She is an assistant and is worthless dead weight.  Why take her?  So Jack will have somebody to save. More pointless crap. They need to not think up the plot first and then figure out lame ass ways to make it not work logically. They should make things work right first and make a plot to work around that. Thus won't waste my time with the show any further. Least I didn't waste weeks.

They already used the assistant as clout to get the secretary to do what they wanted.  Otherwise, he likely would sit back and let them beat him to death.

I think you just have very poor taste, as 24 is the absolute best show ever.

Wake up.
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2005, 03:40:53 PM »

They already used the assistant as clout to get the secretary to do what they wanted. Otherwise, he likely would sit back and let them beat him to death.

I think you just have very poor taste, as 24 is the absolute best show ever.<<<<<

If that was what they wanted her for why didn't they take his son too?
Also a good reason why nobody in power would ever use a family member as an assistant in the first place. Not to mention it's nepotism.
It makes about as much sense as the rest of the show which is virtually none. Let's just say this show and most of the ones on TV are not made for people with an above average intelligence. What you call poor taste I would call having a clue enough not to be entertained by drivel. You probably failed to notice they "teleported" the truck in the first place.

JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2005, 06:01:43 PM »

I just turn my brain off and enjoy it. It's all about the explosions. And Jack Bauer. On the otherhand Alias is pissing me off with it's incredibly stupid storylines. I'll give it one more week, then use that hour playing EQ2 instead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: