http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 07:26:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dollhouse Season 2  (Read 5945 times)
disarm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2010, 08:51:20 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 24, 2010, 08:25:55 PM

Aargh!  

I have nothing against goodwill toward Haiti, and I get why Dollhouse would be one of the shows to get bumped, but aw, man!

Any word on when the finale might actually air?

the finale is this coming friday (1/29)...it's been planned that way all along and wasn't bumped by the Haiti drive.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2010, 10:13:05 PM »

Quote from: disarm on January 24, 2010, 08:51:20 PM

Aargh!  

I have nothing against goodwill toward Haiti, and I get why Dollhouse would be one of the shows to get bumped, but aw, man!

the finale is this coming friday (1/29)...it's been planned that way all along and wasn't bumped by the Haiti drive.

My DVR recorded a scheduled new Dollhouse on Friday night which turned out to be the tribute.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2010, 10:24:31 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 24, 2010, 10:13:05 PM

Aargh!  

My DVR recorded a scheduled new Dollhouse on Friday night which turned out to be the tribute.

that must have been one helluva tease.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2010, 11:46:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 24, 2010, 10:24:31 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 24, 2010, 10:13:05 PM

Aargh!  

that must have been one helluva tease.

No kidding.  Especially since we had just watched the previous week's and were psyched for back to back eps.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2010, 02:53:43 AM »

a bit anti-climactic, but still a very fitting end to a fantastic show.  Dollhouse may not be remembered by many people over the years, but it really did turn out to be a great show.  hopefully enough people inside the TV industry will realize that to keep giving Whedon chances to show his genius...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2010, 02:56:12 AM »

I've caught up through the end of last week.  Seeing as the first thing that they did was recap Epitaph One, I'm going to wait until I get that on rental to watch before I watch this one.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2010, 03:31:07 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 30, 2010, 02:56:12 AM

I've caught up through the end of last week.  Seeing as the first thing that they did was recap Epitaph One, I'm going to wait until I get that on rental to watch before I watch this one.

i did think that it was a little strange that they showed such an incomplete and vague recap of Epitaph One at the beginning of tonight's finale.  if you haven't actually seen Epitaph One, those few clips really didn't explain anything.  that said, i think the events of the finale would make sense to anyone who has watched the show whether they've seen all of Epitaph One or not.  there are a few minor characters and references to events that might not make make complete sense, but the major events of the finale stand pretty well on their own.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2010, 01:58:54 PM »

I was hoping they wouldn't "waste too much time" on recapping One but you're right, it was a little... choppy. I guess that's what you get when you try to condense an hour down to a handful of seconds. And as noted, Two did stand pretty well on its own but people really should watch One beforehand if at all possible.

A nice ending to a series I really wish had more time to mature. And while not really a spoiler unless you're here and haven't seen Epitaph Two, I will just in case.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Poor Topher. He did say the others job would be 'way harder' but still, a one-way trip to redemption-ville. I did like how he was distracted at the end by the Wall o' Pictures so his last moments were more along the lines of "ooo, shiny" rather than "oh shit" like.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2010, 11:32:26 PM »

Sounds like Whedon may be going to FX, if I recall, it's still Fox based, but perhaps the execs there will actually let a show he makes grow after green lighting it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
A nice twist with Alpha, although pretty common for Whedon where their greatest enemies become their greatest allies, and vice versa.  I liked that moment where Alpha appears behind them saying something spooking and ominous, looking like he's going to whip out a knife and start cutting.  Then they both go and hug him, looking completely comfortable around him sold the idea that somehow Alpha had changed.  Then at the end how they were talking about how Alpha left, thinking he'd become something horrible once the world was restored.

Ballard dying was a sad, but interesting touch. Then being restored in Echo's head.  I guess Caroline is gone for good, or at least just another part of Echo's whole.

The tech heads were a pretty interesting twist, guess those were the former dolls who wanted to take a stand.  Honestly not sure about them wanting to keep the world a wasteland, because them keeping their active architecture means they can still imprint everything they need in a rebuilt world.

You know, I kind of hope more people try for these short 1-3 season shows that have a good beginning, middle, and end.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2010, 07:47:17 PM »

Quote from: disarm on January 30, 2010, 03:31:07 AM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 30, 2010, 02:56:12 AM

i did think that it was a little strange that they showed such an incomplete and vague recap of Epitaph One at the beginning of tonight's finale.  if you haven't actually seen Epitaph One, those few clips really didn't explain anything.  that said, i think the events of the finale would make sense to anyone who has watched the show whether they've seen all of Epitaph One or not.  there are a few minor characters and references to events that might not make make complete sense, but the major events of the finale stand pretty well on their own.

It was strange/unfortunate they didn't make this a "2 hour event" and just show the 2 episodes together back to back.  I know a number of people who were pretty confused and disappointed by the finale because they had no idea of even the existence of Epitaph One.  Fox clearly just did not give a crap about the show, and were simply begrudgingly honoring their promise to air the final episodes.  I don't think I saw a single preview or promo for the series finale, which is I suppose consistent with their poor treatment of the show. 

While I thought it was a decent closer, it definitely felt rushed and certain elements that looked to be really interesting (like Victor's tech subplot and the Paul/Echo relationship) were just not able to be fleshed out in the short amount of time they had to wrap it up.  Such a shame, I really hope Joss's next venture gets the respect it deserves.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2010, 07:58:54 PM »

I think the Joss Whedon projects get fractured before they start....and probably not by him.  It appears they never really know what audience they are aiming at....mainstream or people who really dig story arcs and so the starts are always awkward and almost guaranteed to not generate large audiences......and then the slow (or quick) death ensues.  Kind of reminds me of the war between game makers and game publishers.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2010, 09:47:13 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on February 01, 2010, 07:58:54 PM

I think the Joss Whedon projects get fractured before they start....and probably not by him.  It appears they never really know what audience they are aiming at....mainstream or people who really dig story arcs and so the starts are always awkward and almost guaranteed to not generate large audiences......and then the slow (or quick) death ensues.  Kind of reminds me of the war between game makers and game publishers.

It seems like with the last 2 shows at least, Joss comes up with a "quirky" core concept that sells well on paper to the execs.  He may have some larger arc or deeper storylines in the back of his mind but not necessarily a full season and character arcs fully fleshed out.  It seems to take him some time to start revving up and get familiar with the actors/characters.  (Note this is the one thing he did stronger with the original Buffy series, which I read he never thought would last.  It seems like he had the main season arc planned out in advance.) 

He then puts together a decent premiere which is intended to slowly warm the audience (an presumably himself and everyone working on the show) up.  Then the execs see the premiere and it isn't what they envisioned, not sexy or actiony enough, so they force him to retool it.  He ends up grabbing a second or third episode idea and shoving some premiere-ish elements into it, leaving us with a kind of cold premiere.  In the mean time, Fox loses its interest, shoves it in a crap timeslot, and gives it no promotion.  It sucks for everyone involved. 

I really hope Joss gets another shot, and is allowed to flesh his show out the way he wants to, at the pace he wants to.  However I also think its in his own best interest to have a stronger full season story arc and plan (as well as a multi-season plan) laid out, and not hold too much back at the outset.  The premiere needs to be tight, and get the core story arc at least introduced.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2010, 10:22:50 PM »

imo the "premiere" they didn't use for Dollhouse was much better than what they used...which leads me to believe there is a constant war as to whoexactly the target audience is.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2010, 01:34:20 AM »

Quote from: Jaddison on February 01, 2010, 10:22:50 PM

imo the "premiere" they didn't use for Dollhouse was much better than what they used...which leads me to believe there is a constant war as to whoexactly the target audience is.

I agree completely.  And I would say the same exact thing for Firefly.  The original premiere was a great 2 hour intro to the cast and premise, while the one they used had some more action (which apparently Fox demanded) but didn't do anything to really get you engaged with the show and characters.  Stupid stupid stupid Fox!!!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2010, 05:05:43 AM »

No channel would accept a TV series proposal based on just a concept. I'm sure Joss Whedon had to give them 4-5 seasons worth of story (roughly outlined, if nothing else) before they would let him do anything at all.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: