http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 02:49:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dollhouse Season 2  (Read 5733 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2009, 06:16:49 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 31, 2009, 05:56:53 AM

I hope that Whedon finds himself back to some form of serialized entertainment that is not on FOX sooner rather than later. 

FTFY.  I understand that they've at least had the balls to greenlight his stuff but perhaps it's time for him to make nice with another network like the CW or Sci Fi.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2009, 06:30:29 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 31, 2009, 06:16:49 AM

I hope that Whedon finds himself back to some form of serialized entertainment that is not on FOX sooner rather than later. 

FTFY.  I understand that they've at least had the balls to greenlight his stuff but perhaps it's time for him to make nice with another network like the CW or Sci Fi.

Sci-Fi?  They cancel stuff too.  The Fox hate always bugs me- every network cancels shows prematurely, even the mighty HBO.  Frankly I'm thankful for Fox because they renewed Dollhouse despite godawful ratings and now we got an excellent second season that seems on course to also wrap up the series in a satisfying manner. 

CW would have potential given the old connections to UPN/WB from Angel & Buffy but unless he wants to do another show focusing heavily on the teen demographic (which I think he pretty much exhausted himself with in seven seasons of Buffy), I don't think it would be a good fit for their demographics. 

However given the popularity of Twilight, True Blood, Vampire Diaries, etc, I am very surprised that someone isn't trying to get a new Buffy spin-off going.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2009, 07:00:59 AM »

Well the Fox hate is justified, just not for the cancelling.

You see, Fox may green light stuff, but then they go in and force modifications that often take away from the show's serial nature.  So essentially, they cause the lack of viewers for the audience they're hoping to grab.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2009, 07:39:38 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 31, 2009, 07:00:59 AM

You see, Fox may green light stuff, but then they go in and force modifications that often take away from the show's serial nature.  So essentially, they cause the lack of viewers for the audience they're hoping to grab.

Depends- while we geeks really like the serial stuff, a lot of popular shows tend to be less serialized so that viewers can drop in and out when needed.  There are exceptions of course (Lost, 24) but I can understand why the networks would prefer a format that is friendlier for new viewers.

However I think Whedon kind of sucks when it comes to sustained standalone episodes.  Firefly was the exception but Buffy, Angel, and Dollhouse all struggled when they focused more on Monster-of-the-Week and less on character and plot advancement.  I think the somewhat standalone nature of early Dollhouse episodes was kind of necessary for these later episodes to work, but there really was no excuse for those standalone episodes to be as poor as they were. 

Really the first season of Whedon shows kind of suck in general (Firefly again the exception).  What a network needs to do is fund him 6-12 episodes that he writes and shoots but never airs (yes, I realize that isn't going to happen). 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2009, 10:24:09 AM »

Just finished catching up on everything since it went off the air in October.  I'll just *aheam* echo everyone's sentiments- this show is pretty freaking awesome right now. While I very much enjoyed "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog", I hope that Whedon finds himself back to some form of serialized entertainment sooner rather than later. 

I think he has said that we'll know what his next project is before the final episode of Dollhouse airs.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2009, 10:52:59 AM »

Whatever Whedon does next, it'll most likely be internet only. Lots of rumors of another Dr. Horrible. I wouldn't be surprised to see one.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2009, 02:44:41 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on December 31, 2009, 10:52:59 AM

Whatever Whedon does next, it'll most likely be internet only. Lots of rumors of another Dr. Horrible. I wouldn't be surprised to see one.

Yeah he definitely wants to do one.  I think the major stumbling block is scheduling- finding a time when he, NPH, Fillion, and presumably any new cast members are free. 
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2009, 03:09:57 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 31, 2009, 02:44:41 PM

finding a time when he, NPH, Fillion, and presumably any new cast members are free. 

Joss uses new cast members? I was pretty sure he only knew 12 people and they did all of his shows/movies/etc. slywink Not that I'm complaining. I'm a big fan of all 12 of them.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2009, 03:15:04 PM »

Strangely enough, Joss does a good job of finding new-ish talent.  He does use a lot of actors he's already worked with, but that's probably because they mesh well with his style and they're friends.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2009, 03:32:24 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 31, 2009, 03:15:04 PM

Strangely enough, Joss does a good job of finding new-ish talent.  He does use a lot of actors he's already worked with, but that's probably because they mesh well with his style and they're friends.

Yeah, sometimes I think he should work as casting director for other shows.  He really has an impeccable eye.  Even with Dollhouse he has now discovered Enver Gjokja and Dimen Lachman and I hope to see them on roles on other shows. 
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2010, 04:02:33 AM »

I hope it won't be another internet-based thing like Dr. Horrible. That'd utterly suck, since then it'll be highly likely I can't watch them.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2010, 04:47:26 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 31, 2009, 03:32:24 PM

Quote from: Turtle on December 31, 2009, 03:15:04 PM

Yeah, sometimes I think he should work as casting director for other shows.  He really has an impeccable eye.  Even with Dollhouse he has now discovered Enver Gjokja and Dimen Lachman and I hope to see them on roles on other shows. 

I definitely agree the 2 of them are awesome finds (that's Victor and Sierra right?).  In a better world, Dollhouse would have had awesome ratings and they could have spunoff onto their own show slywink  Really hope they can find new work soon.
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2010, 06:39:27 AM »

It sucks this is the way the show had to go.  Seems to be a recurring problem of his.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 01, 2010, 10:50:56 AM »

Quote from: coopasonic on December 31, 2009, 03:09:57 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 31, 2009, 02:44:41 PM

finding a time when he, NPH, Fillion, and presumably any new cast members are free. 

Joss uses new cast members? I was pretty sure he only knew 12 people and they did all of his shows/movies/etc. slywink Not that I'm complaining. I'm a big fan of all 12 of them.

Give me more Summer and Jewel, Joss!
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2010, 03:42:59 AM »

holy crap what a mind-fuck tonight...so many things to think back on now that we've uncovered a crucial piece of the Rossum mystery.  only two episodes left and the show just keeps improving.  damn you Fox  mad

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2010, 06:01:18 AM »

Quote from: disarm on January 09, 2010, 03:42:59 AM

holy crap what a mind-fuck tonight...so many things to think back on now that we've uncovered a crucial piece of the Rossum mystery.  only two episodes left and the show just keeps improving.  damn you Fox  mad

Wow - fantastic episode. I never expected that.  The show has become fantastic! I wish it was like that from the start.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2010, 08:50:01 AM »

what in the hell, it needs to be said again. this continues to out do itself. holy balls. 3 more hours left frown
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2010, 05:58:27 PM »

I just don't understand why it had to start off as slow as it did.  The individual episodes about Echo's engagements were so many during the 1st season, and all they did was establish the identities she would later take on...something that didn't require umpteen episodes.  If it had been less "The Pretender" and more like this in season 1, maybe it would've survived.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2010, 08:31:52 PM »

Quote from: disarm on January 09, 2010, 03:42:59 AM

Okay...I just saw episode 11 as well... I liked ep 10 a lot better though, since..the ending was WTF???

spoilers:

Spoiler for Hiden:
First off, Saunders killing Bennet?? SHOCK! that was cool, and totally not something I'd ever seen, especially after all the romantic buildup AND the upcoming Bennet / Caroline confrontation...pretty damn cool - but... The end? The big ol' dad to them all is the main bad guy?? I dont get it - why? what? how? And why did they get Saunders to stop Bennet then? Who? What? I dont like it...its a cheap thrill, unless he's(Mr. Wheedon) going to spin me completely around in ep12....

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2010, 07:00:43 AM »

Wow.  Episode 11 was crazy.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I knew something was coming up with Bennet since the prior stretch was nothing but happy scenes.  Wasn't expecting a bullet in the brain though.

And WTF?  Boyd is the partner?

It's likely that Boyd wanted Caroline to be exactly what Echo is now, but there's also some other motivation of course.  Should be interesting to see where they go from here.

I suspect a big part of all these crazy twists is that they knew that season 2 would be it.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2010, 08:15:04 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
boyd makes sense though, i'm sure whedon was setting him up for something else. they never gave his backstory to why he was helping the dollhouse. he seemed to care way too much about echo.

saunders shot bennet cause she hates topher.

Just wanted to say thanks for ruining it for me and others jersoc...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 02:30:48 AM by naednek » Logged
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2010, 08:44:31 AM »

hey jersoc...ever think of hiding those spoilers like everyone else?

*Gamertag - disarm78*
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2010, 11:58:24 PM »

just watched the episode (and luckily didn't see jersocs brainless revealing of spoilers beforehand).  all I got to say is capital O, capital M, capital G.

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2010, 09:47:57 PM »

I have no idea where Joss is going with this, but man am I enjoying the ride.  Still trying to decide if all of what we've seen is still consistent with Epitaph: Two.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2010, 10:59:41 PM »

You mean Epitaph One right?  Epitaph Two hasn't aired.  Unless you're from... the future?
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »

Quote from: warning on January 11, 2010, 10:59:41 PM

You mean Epitaph One right?  Epitaph Two hasn't aired.  Unless you're from... the future?

None of this is real.  We're all from the future, and the past. 

I wear the cheese; it does not wear me.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2010, 06:11:49 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 11, 2010, 09:47:57 PM

I have no idea where Joss is going with this, but man am I enjoying the ride.  Still trying to decide if all of what we've seen is still consistent with Epitaph: Two.

that question and more were answered tonight...another fantastic episode.  while i'm disappointed to see such a great show end, the forced timeline has given us some truly great storytelling over the last few episodes.  there is no doubt in my mind that the final episode will be awesome when it airs in two weeks.  my only hope is that enough "important" network people will realize how great Dollhouse turned out and catch enough of a glimpse of Whedon's genius to give him another shot some time in the future...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2010, 09:01:13 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
pretty good episode, not as great as they have been though. saw miracle shooting herself a mile away though. i guess cause of the stupid ass earthquake we have to wait another week for the finale, oh well. this season has been great and probably some of the best whedon has done. i hope we see him back soon

*once again, thanks for ruining it for others. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 06:50:34 PM by naednek » Logged
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2010, 10:42:11 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on January 16, 2010, 09:01:13 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
pretty good episode, not as great as they have been though. saw miracle shooting herself a mile away though. i guess cause of the stupid ass earthquake we have to wait another week for the finale, oh well. this season has been great and probably some of the best whedon has done. i hope we see him back soon

Jersoc - can you PLEASE FUCKING USE SPOILERS???

*hint, don't quote his spoiler...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 06:51:34 PM by naednek » Logged

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2010, 10:57:51 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 16, 2010, 10:42:11 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

which kind should he use?

I think the silver/black one is kinda nifty.

*wow, 3 in a row
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 06:52:18 PM by naednek » Logged

Because I can,
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2010, 06:01:23 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 16, 2010, 10:42:11 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

apparently not...had to report his last spoiler-filled post to the mods and have them fix it because he failed to do it himself even after being asked to change it last week...

*make that 4
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 06:52:49 PM by naednek » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2010, 06:21:59 PM »

Thankfully came here after just watching it.

Yet another awesome episode, will be sorry to see this thing wrap up in two weeks.  icon_cry

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2010, 06:56:15 PM »

I must say, if you're upset someone is posting spoilers, the best thing not to do, is to freaking quote it...

With that said, this show is all kinds of awesome.  
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2010, 08:57:51 PM »

Quote from: naednek on January 16, 2010, 06:56:15 PM

I must say, if you're upset someone is posting spoilers, the best thing not to do, is to freaking quote it...

With that said, this show is all kinds of awesome.  

oops...didn't even realize that when i quoted Razgon  icon_redface

*Gamertag - disarm78*
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2010, 01:18:49 AM »

now this could be interesting....

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2010, 01:32:07 AM »

AFAIK, Epitaph: One is the name of the series finale.  Epitaph: Two was the unaired episode on the DVDs.  Given last week's events, I'm really curious to see if the finale will be in place of the unaired episode, consistent with it, or just ignores its existence.

- - -

I would love to see an Alpha spinoff (on FX if necessary), where Alpha is more of an anti-hero type of character.  I think he deserves his own show.  Bring Victor and Pria along for the ride too smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2010, 01:41:09 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 19, 2010, 01:32:07 AM

AFAIK, Epitaph: One is the name of the series finale.  Epitaph: Two was the unaired episode on the DVDs.  Given last week's events, I'm really curious to see if the finale will be in place of the unaired episode, consistent with it, or just ignores its existence.

you got it backwards; Epitaph One was the unaired episode of season 1, Epitaph Two is the finale.

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2010, 07:02:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 19, 2010, 01:41:09 AM

you got it backwards; Epitaph One was the unaired episode of season 1, Epitaph Two is the finale.

Ahh, that makes more sense - but I guess the question then becomes whether 2 will acknowledge/follow the events in 1.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2010, 01:21:13 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 19, 2010, 07:02:17 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 19, 2010, 01:41:09 AM

Ahh, that makes more sense - but I guess the question then becomes whether 2 will acknowledge/follow the events in 1.

from the looks of previews for the finale, it most definitely will...should be a great conclusion to the series icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 24, 2010, 08:25:55 PM »

Aargh! 

I have nothing against goodwill toward Haiti, and I get why Dollhouse would be one of the shows to get bumped, but aw, man!

Any word on when the finale might actually air?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: