http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 07:49:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dollhouse Season 2  (Read 5836 times)
Einsteinium
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2009, 07:36:44 PM »

I believe I heard that they've decided to kill off Dollhouse.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2009, 07:37:40 PM »

Quote from: Einsteinium on November 12, 2009, 07:36:44 PM

I believe I heard that they've decided to kill off Dollhouse.

Observant beyond belief.  slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2009, 07:43:18 PM »

Once again, I've managed to send something that I haven't finished writing. And of course, someone is there to point it out. I was going to say that it's pretty typical. I wonder if they've done a demographic including gamers, geeks, IT pros, script kiddies, and sci-fi/fantasy genre fans. They could include us in the ratings systems or something. Though any information-gathering device dropped off would be hacked within a week of its arrival.

"America needs the wisdom of Herman's Head now, more than ever!" - Comic Book Guy
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2009, 04:44:42 AM »

damn...tonight's two-hour powerhouse episode is the reason why Dollhouse was too good of a show to cancel.  they went down a completely unexpected path tonight and told a story that i think was just incredible...very interesting, complex, and extremely well played by everyone.  i'm not a Summer Glau fanatic, but the way she played her role tonight was fantastic...a nice take on the eccentric/damaged genius and a very interesting new character for the show.  Topher's scenes with her were great and topped only by his interactions with himself (great idea to go down that path).  while i do think that Topher was a weak character in season one, he has really come into his own recently.  like so many of Whedon's other efforts, Dollhouse has really hit its stride at the bitter end.  unfortunately, Fox thought they knew better than Whedon how to introduce the series and the show hit it's stride too late in the game to succeed...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2009, 04:54:06 AM »

Yeah... bravo to the guys who greenlight stuff at Fox, but the execs who edit the stuff need to stick to the crap that they're used to editing.  You don't build serial and scifi shows like this the same way you build a lot of the other stuff you get on Fox.

Hulu doesn't get the latest episode until tomorrow, looking forward to it.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2009, 10:19:57 AM »

house vs house internal fighting could be so bad ass. this also seems like the start of epitaph one. god damn this show is so good when it's not slut of the week.

may aids find you, fox execs.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2009, 02:23:27 PM »

Really enjoyed the two hours last night, including the 'twists' they kept throwing in. And I thought 'Victor' did a *great* job with his latest active assignment.  nod

How many episodes are left? Another two hours next Friday, then... ? Ah - five more episodes and then Epilogue Two: Return.  thumbsup
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 09:16:08 PM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2009, 08:50:24 PM »

Great, great episode.  Victor was great--at first I thought the actor was imitating Topher's voice but I'm pretty sure they dubbed that in later.  Brilliant work as usual from Victor.

I agree, House vs House wars would be superb.

Wesley + Faith = Squeeeeee!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 08:52:36 PM by Freezer-TPF- » Logged

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2009, 09:05:37 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on December 05, 2009, 08:50:24 PM

Brilliant work as usual from Victor.

He's impressed me from the very beginning. He seems to be able to play any role really convincingly. I do believe it was his voice we heard, imitating Topher. He was just that good at it. smile
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 09:07:55 PM by TiLT » Logged
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2009, 09:18:20 PM »

Yeah, that's definitely not a dub. Enver is pretty good at getting people's mannerisms down pat.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2009, 02:22:50 AM »

The actor who plays Victor is clearly the break out star of Dollhouse.  Watching him act I'm reminded of how impressed I was with a young Edward Norton (especially his amazing role in the mediocre film Primal Fear).  If he doesn't get more roles in both movies and television after this, then there's no justice in this world.   icon_wink

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2009, 07:10:20 AM »

Those scenes were hilarious.  There were times where he out Tophered Topher.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2009, 08:57:57 AM »

the devil runs the D.C. Dollhouse... icon_lol
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 08:59:37 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2009, 10:33:25 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 06, 2009, 08:57:57 AM

No no, that was Leland Palmer! Tongue
Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2009, 05:37:17 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 06, 2009, 10:33:25 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 06, 2009, 08:57:57 AM

No no, that was Leland Palmer! Tongue

Ha, my thoughts exactly.

If Victor/Topher was not a dub, then I am even more impressed with Enver Gjokaj's skills.  He was superb as Dominic, the serial killer, and well -- everything he's done.  I hope he gets more screentime and even a premium episode (like Sierra's episode) before the end.

Oh, also thought it was kinda cool that the other Dollhouse's dolls were apparently codenamed after Greek gods (e.g. Hades).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:00:51 PM by Freezer-TPF- » Logged

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2009, 08:26:51 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 06, 2009, 07:10:20 AM

Those scenes were hilarious.  There were times where he out Tophered Topher.

I loved when they were talking about Summer. The for the win totally caught me off guard. I couldn't stop laughing at the whole victor/topher thing. so great.
Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2009, 05:04:20 PM »

"Hey, we have this character who needs to spew a bunch of spacey, quasi-nonsensical but perhaps deeply metaphorical dialogue, with a psychotic edge and a half-vacant look in her eyes."

"Ok, I'll call Summer Glau..."

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2009, 04:01:18 AM »

hot damn that was incredible!  i wasn't sure that they could top last week's episode, but tonight was just awesome beyond words.  i really can't say much without giving away any of the incredible plot developments in this episode, so i'll just stick to general comments for now...

the places they went with Echo's character tonight are so far beyond anything hinted at before that i really feel like i don't know what direction the show might go next.  as with every recent episode, the acting was almost universally fantastic, and Whedon's dialog is firing on all cylinders.  every character had memorable lines tonight that really made their personalities shine in an episode that relied heavily on the personal relationships between everyone in the Dollhouse.  add the return of one of the show's most interesting characters, a few great references to events of prior episodes, and a brief glimpse at the events leading to the future seen in Epitaph One, and they've given us an episode so packed with great developments that it's easily my favorite for the show so far.  

while i'm really disappointed to know that Dollhouse is coming to an end soon, it's great to know that Whedon has the opportunity to give us a true ending to what really has become an incredible show.  while i would love to see Dollhouse continue, the focus that they now have as we barrel toward a conclusion is making for tight, exciting storytelling that is currently my most anticipated show each week.

"I am obsolete.  This must be what old people feel like...and Blockbuster" - Topher
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 05:26:52 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2009, 03:34:47 AM »

i may be the only one still interested in Dollhouse, but i'm going to keep posting to encourage everyone else to watch what has really become an incredible show...

tonight was another fantastic episode...very interesting story that continues to lay the groundwork for what will doubtless be an amazing finish if the last three weeks are any indication. i really can't help but wonder how the show might have proceeded if they were given more time. would we still be seeing the great episodes we're getting now, or is it the final push toward a series finale that is allowing them to tell such a tightly focused and brilliant story? if nothing else, this season of Dollhouse should serve as further proof that Joss Whedon has the capacity to be a brilliant writer and storyteller when given the opportunity to create on his own terms. it's just a shame that so many of his projects are cut short...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2009, 03:39:11 AM »

I'm still watching, I just haven't had a chance to watch last weeks episodes yet.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2009, 09:33:27 AM »

holy balls, how does this show keeping outdoing itself? these 2 episodes were god damn amazing. It's a shame we only got 2 seasons of this and it took one season for the show to find it's footing too.
also
"what year is it?"
"2010, we think, we're not sure how long we've been off the air."

hilarious.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2009, 12:38:05 AM »

Wow... just watched the two Friday episodes. It's going to be one hell of a ride.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2009, 10:36:32 AM »

Holy #%$!

Again I ask:  Where the hell were these episodes before?!

Dollhouse probably would have picked up a following just like Buffy and Angel, even Lost (although not as big) had they focused on these kind of twists and turns from the very start.

Even Eliza Dushku is showing her acting chops now that Echo has a personality.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 10:43:48 AM by Turtle » Logged
Malificent
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2009, 02:58:47 PM »

To be fair, I think a lot of the twists and turns are reliant on having background in place to set them up. Also, at this point, Dollhouse has barely had a full season worth of episodes. A normal full order is 22 and they've shown 23 or 24 now. If you cut the first 5 that Fox stuck their noses into or recut them, you're basically at a full season.

Basically, Whedon is a slow starter normally - Buffy didn't really get kicking until Season 2 (oddly, about the same time as Dollhouse too, since Buffy had a 13 episode first season normally). Combine that with the fact the premise of Dollhouse is also a slow starter, one that requires a lot of background and buildup for real payoff. Formula for disaster on a major network.

Firefly has been the odd man out for Whedon - a show where it didn't require a build and the characters were fantastic from moment one. So of course, that got canceled immediately.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2009, 03:45:54 PM »

We watched Fridays eps last night, and I turned to my wife and said, "Now this is a show I want to watch."

I've gone from watching out of loyalty to being excited (and sad) for the following episodes.  We're never sure when it's ending, so every week has that feel like it's the last one.  I gotta +1 Turtle on those earlier shows.

I liked Sienna right from the beginning.  I think she's incredible.  But, damn, Victor continues to amaze me.  On first blush, he seems kind of empty and meatheady (not just becase he was playing a doll), but he keeps putting in incredible performances.  That Topher bit from a few shows ago really sealed the deal, IMO.  That was way more than just immitation.  A lot of work went into that.  He did a similar thing channeling the security guy a long while ago.  That's when I first started to really pay attention to him.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2009, 05:15:29 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 20, 2009, 03:45:54 PM

We're never sure when it's ending, so every week has that feel like it's the last one.

some disappointing news...when the show returns in three weeks, there are only three episodes left.  while they will no doubt be incredible, Dollhouse has become a show that i really don't want to end.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2009, 06:22:40 PM »

Quote from: disarm on December 20, 2009, 05:15:29 PM

We're never sure when it's ending, so every week has that feel like it's the last one.

some disappointing news...when the show returns in three weeks, there are only three episodes left.  while they will no doubt be incredible, Dollhouse has become a show that i really don't want to end.

and the final episode is apparently a sequel to Epitaph One, so if you haven't seen it off of the DVD's or elsewhere (since FOX is never going to air it apparently) you may be a bit lost.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2009, 11:33:42 PM »

I d/l'd it off of PSN a couple of months back.  Good stuff.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2009, 11:39:23 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 20, 2009, 11:33:42 PM

I d/l'd it off of PSN a couple of months back.  Good stuff.

I just realized I have 10 bucks in video credits on Amazon so I'm going to grab it from there.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2009, 08:16:08 AM »

We watched Fridays eps last night, and I turned to my wife and said, "Now this is a show I want to watch."

I've gone from watching out of loyalty to being excited (and sad) for the following episodes.  We're never sure when it's ending, so every week has that feel like it's the last one.  I gotta +1 Turtle on those earlier shows.

I liked Sienna right from the beginning.  I think she's incredible.  But, damn, Victor continues to amaze me.  On first blush, he seems kind of empty and meatheady (not just becase he was playing a doll), but he keeps putting in incredible performances.  That Topher bit from a few shows ago really sealed the deal, IMO.  That was way more than just immitation.  A lot of work went into that.  He did a similar thing channeling the security guy a long while ago.  That's when I first started to really pay attention to him.

Sierra, not sienna.
I've always said the show is the best when it focuses on the mythos. If they setup season 1 like this season(minus the world ending stuff) it would've been amazing. One dollhouse vs a bunch trying to keep itself under the radar while trying to expose the rossum conspiracy would've been amazing.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2009, 01:11:07 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on December 21, 2009, 08:16:08 AM

I liked Sienna right from the beginning.  I think she's incredible.  But, damn, Victor continues to amaze me.  On first blush, he seems kind of empty and meatheady (not just becase he was playing a doll), but he keeps putting in incredible performances.  That Topher bit from a few shows ago really sealed the deal, IMO.  That was way more than just immitation.  A lot of work went into that.  He did a similar thing channeling the security guy a long while ago.  That's when I first started to really pay attention to him.

Sierra, not sienna.

Oh, yeah, Sienna's more of a hair color than a military call letter.

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2009, 05:56:22 PM »

Kind of a bummer though, just think of all the proteins that could have been folded.

Cancer research -- Take over the world, Cancer research -- Take over the world, Cancer research -- Take over the world, I guess we will go with take over the world.

I like the show, but the whole "Matrix" ripoff is kind of lame.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Human beings kept in a dream state to be used as distributed processing or in the case of the Matrix, power generation.

icon_biggrin

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2009, 07:19:31 PM »

Absoultely amazing show with so many great plotlines.  It's so unfortunate as you can see the vision for the show is being completely rushed to completion due to the cancellation.  So many of the storylines we've seen were likely meant to develop over the course of a full season, or perhaps multiple seasons, and now they are being pushed into single episodes (similar to the series finale of Angel).  I suppose it does make the pacing much more exciting and almost entirely plot-driven, but it's such a shame for fanboys like myself that the stories weren't allowed to evolve more naturally.  I suppose I should just be happy that they had enough notice to tool the show toward a series finale, and I believe Joss is involved in every one of the last 3 eps.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2009, 04:42:31 PM »

finally got to watch the latest episodes.

icon_eek

damn they hit it out of the park with those.  I'm just hoping this ends with a decent wrap up like Whedon promised.

Because I can,
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2009, 05:35:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 20, 2009, 06:22:40 PM

Quote from: disarm on December 20, 2009, 05:15:29 PM

and the final episode is apparently a sequel to Epitaph One, so if you haven't seen it off of the DVD's or elsewhere (since FOX is never going to air it apparently) you may be a bit lost.
great, i hate fox
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2009, 07:17:14 PM »

Epitaph One is very readily available on the intertubes.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2009, 10:41:39 PM »

just watched it off of Amazon.com.  Pretty cool episode.  Totally a different feel, and I can see it not making too much sense watching this before season 2.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2009, 11:01:21 PM »

I'm so annoyed with Dollhouse.  We had two episodes on our DVR.  The thing filled up and deleted an episode.  That's fine, we can hulu it.  Except that they've been running two episodes per week, so that episode had just fallen off hulu.  My GF refuses to watch shows if she's missed an episode, so now we get to wait until the DVD release.  Grr....

I wish I was wise in the ways of downloading shows.

Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2009, 06:39:42 PM »

I don't think this is breaking any rules...  very simple: google utorrent, and google eztv.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2009, 05:56:53 AM »

Just finished catching up on everything since it went off the air in October.  I'll just *aheam* echo everyone's sentiments- this show is pretty freaking awesome right now. While I very much enjoyed "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog", I hope that Whedon finds himself back to some form of serialized entertainment sooner rather than later. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: