http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 01:44:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dollhouse Season 2  (Read 5930 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 27, 2009, 03:29:17 AM »

Just caught this on hulu.  The new season is starting off better than the first, but not quite as action packed.  Still, they've setup something new and interesting with Echo.  I'm in for the rest of the season.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Ballard becoming her handler now makes more sense.

Whiskey/Dr. Saunders' story is getting a whole lot more interesting, and human, I really like where it's going and it's nice to see that actress get more screen time.  It also puts more life into Topher's character which I also like.

Olivia Williams with short hair?  Wowwy.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 03:33:59 AM by Turtle » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 03:44:02 AM »

I heard the ratings were down from the last premiere but were about the same as last seasons finale.  I thought it was OK, and Amy Acker can look hotter in a nightie than I gave her credit for.

right now I'll keep on watching it, but it's still one of those shows I won't miss terribly if it goes away.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 03:52:25 AM »

Well, Amy Acker finally gained some weight so she's no longer a stick.  slywink

It's more restrained than Joss's other work, and the Fox network style is pretty clear.  But, I guess it's something cheap to film that gets a different market than the ones the other networks dominate in the time slot.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 04:05:56 AM »

just found the numbers, every show was down last night.

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 04:33:42 AM »

i thought last night's premiere was a great way to kick off the new season.  they established interesting threads to carry through the season for most of the characters, while at the same time telling a cool story within the single episode.  i thought the cast all did a good job and can't wait to see where they take us next icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 07:51:17 PM »

I thought it was pretty enjoyable, some hints toward the Epitaph One futureline but nothing too overt.  It did seem a little disjointed and my concern is it might be completely inaccessible to new fans, unless they just want to see cheap hints at hot girl on girl action.  Speaking of which, even though I am gay, I still want to see a Summer Glau on Eliza Dushku on Amy Acker 3-way scene.  3 hot long dark haired ass kicking chicks all in one scene would make your TV explode.  Come on, you know you want it too!!!

As much as I love Faith, it's becoming clear that the other actresses (Amy Acker, Olivia Williams and the Brit/Asian chick) are all better actresses, which is making it difficult to spotlight her as the lead.  Hopefully they can find storylines that play to her strengths (ass kicking and bitchy reparte) because some of her Dollhouse roles are kind of painful to watch.

On an unrelated note, I rewound twice on the scene where she is taking off her high heels, and I can swear she says "fucking heels".  Since no one else noticed this, I'm guessing I just heard it wrong.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 09:02:37 PM »

Seems they got Alexis Denisof into the show as well, playing the senator. With him on board, I wouldn't be surprised to see Allyson Hannigan in a guest role at some point.

So far I'm counting 4 actors from earlier Whedon shows:

1) Eliza Dushku (played Faith in Buffy and Angel, and was offered her own spin-off series)
2) Amy Acker (played Fred/Illyria in Angel)
3) Alan Tudyk (played Wash in Firefly)
4) Alexis Denisof (played Wesley Wyndam-Pryce in Buffy and Angel)

Am I missing anyone?

And what's up with Amy Acker always being credited as a guest star? She's been in almost all the episodes, and her role has started to become more and more important.

Edit: Yes, I forgot someone:

5) Felicia Day (played Vi in the final season of Buffy and Penny in Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog)

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 09:37:10 PM by TiLT » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 09:07:33 PM »

Summer Glau is due to make an appearance.  a couple of BSG alumni are supposed to be appearing too.

I totally did not recognize Denisof as the senator.

Because I can,
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 10:45:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 27, 2009, 09:07:33 PM

a couple of BSG alumni are supposed to be appearing too.

Jamie Bamber, aka Apollo on BSG, was in this weekend's episode and did a really good job.  i've heard the Michael Hogan (Col. Tigh) is going to show up later in the season...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 10:45:32 PM »

I thought the season opener was great, setting up plenty of interesting threads.  The Topher/Whiskey scene was fantastic and belongs on the Whedon highlight reel.  Plus, nice BSG fanservice with the Apollo/Helo throwdown.  thumbsup

I wonder if/when we'll see November again.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 11:54:54 PM »

Quote from: disarm on September 27, 2009, 10:45:15 PM

Jamie Bamber, aka Apollo on BSG, was in this weekend's episode and did a really good job.

jeebus, I didn't recognize him either, but it just clicked.

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 12:13:12 AM »

Sheesh, I'm gonna have to go back through this on my Tivo, pay more attention this time.  icon_confused

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 02:35:19 AM »

I just watched it, and I kind of wish I had a better recollection of the end of season 1.  I haven't picked up the bluray yet because I'm waiting on a better sale.  We just watched Epitaph One the other night, but are finding ourselves a tiny bit lost in remembering exactly how season 1 ended.

It's always amusing playing "spot the actor from the other Whedon show" on any of his projects, but this series especially seems to be all about pulling in actors from past Whedon projects as well as BSG. 

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 06:33:35 AM »

One problem with Dushku is that she's bouncing between so many characters that they can't build her up as much as the others who stay the same.  Caroline herself only appears in a few episodes and it's not like the combined version of Echo has much of a personality.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 11:21:38 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 27, 2009, 11:54:54 PM

Jamie Bamber, aka Apollo on BSG, was in this weekend's episode and did a really good job.

lol, really? probably the accent. he actually got to use his real one. I didn't recognize Wes either, but I figured it had to be the senator. Is the actor not english then?

Summer will be in starting in ep5. So the person's above 3-some will be closer. Too bad Amy is leaving because of her other show. I thought her scenes were excellent. I was getting tired of her playing the sulking emo type. Was nice to get some range of emotion again.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 03:40:55 PM »

Was there a "previously on" section before the show started? I TiVoed it and we didn't have one. I was kind of amazed by how little recapping was done in the episode. I think if someone hadn't seen last season they would have been completely lost. As it was I was having trouble remembering that Echo's former handler was now the head of security and that Helo was not actually a handler (yet).

I thought the Whiskey bit was really interesting. I never considered the fact that the doctor would not want to go back to being her original self because that would mean she would "die". But wouldn't she just go willingly if they asked her if she wanted a treatment?

Also, was there more to the fact that Whiskey hated Topher than he thought it would be best for the project? I didn't really understand why she was so hung up on it.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 08:49:12 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on September 28, 2009, 03:40:55 PM

I thought the Whiskey bit was really interesting. I never considered the fact that the doctor would not want to go back to being her original self because that would mean she would "die". But wouldn't she just go willingly if they asked her if she wanted a treatment?

Also, was there more to the fact that Whiskey hated Topher than he thought it would be best for the project? I didn't really understand why she was so hung up on it.

I imagine a possible bleed-over would be unwanted, given that she's normally around for the end of the assignment of some of them.

Also, Topher said that the hate wasn't programmed, she came up with it.  She was just supposed to be an academic foil, a Devil's advocate to counter him if he missed something.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 09:26:58 PM »

I loved the little throwaway joke about the client "Tempura Joe."  icon_lol

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 10:15:35 PM »

Also love how Olivia's character reacts to such people, really seems like she really wants to help people, in a crazy sort of way.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 07:57:43 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on September 28, 2009, 11:21:38 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 27, 2009, 11:54:54 PM

lol, really? probably the accent. he actually got to use his real one.

that's hysterical...I honestly thought Bamber was American this whole time.  While I was watching his episode of Dollhouse, I remember thinking, "That accent isn't very convincing.".   icon_lol

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 08:54:52 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 29, 2009, 07:57:43 PM

that's hysterical...I honestly thought Bamber was American this whole time.  While I was watching his episode of Dollhouse, I remember thinking, "That accent isn't very convincing.".   icon_lol

A friend and I were having the same discussion yesterday and we both thought his accent faded in and out.  Also I'm not sure but I think Wesley was faking the British accent, i.e. that was his real accent in the episode?

Also on a side note, I don't think I'm going crazy as I've now rewound it like 5 times, when Faith enters Ballard's secret hideout, she takes off her shoes and refers to her "fucking stilletos" - does anyone still have it on DVR and can verify or not?  Maybe it's a different word?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 05:52:50 AM »

at least we'll get to see all 13 episodes that FOX ordered this season.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 08:03:04 AM »

Dollhouse is dirt cheap to film as a show and Fox doesn't have a damn thing to fill that slot that could take any market share away from the other shows.

They know they'll get the money back from DVD sales so while Whedon based productions may not get mega numbers, it's less of a risk and Fox knows it.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 08:04:44 AM by Turtle » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 01:26:14 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on September 29, 2009, 08:54:52 PM

A friend and I were having the same discussion yesterday and we both thought his accent faded in and out.  Also I'm not sure but I think Wesley was faking the British accent, i.e. that was his real accent in the episode?

Yep- that's Denisof's real accent.  The English accent was just for the Wesley character.

Denisof is hugely underrated IMO- his transformation as Wesley was pretty damn amazing and I wish he would get more work. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 04:26:04 AM »

no Dollhouse for November Sweeps.  Like the article says, barring a X-Mas miracle it's probably over.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 06:55:14 PM »

It didn't really seem to pick up at all this season after a nice buildup of last. Unless the rest of the season rocks I'd be ok with seeing it die out. It's no Journeyman. 
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2009, 05:14:49 AM »

tonight's episode was absolutely fantastic...dark, intriguing, and took many of the characters and ideas behind the show to some very interesting places.  the scenes between Topher and Sierra were phenomenally well done (especially at the very end) and it's been great to see them adding so much depth to Topher this season.  i also loved the developing plots between Echo and Boyd, and Sierra and Victor...very well done for such small parts of the episode.  tonight revealed another big bit of what can make Dollhouse such an incredible show...and why it's such a shame that Fox is dooming it to cancellation.

the show is now disappearing until December 4th, pretty much sealing its fate by ruining any rhythm the show has developed.  with a show that's building such an ongoing theme, the irregular schedule and total lack of promotion make it virtually impossible to attract any new viewers.  Fox may have brought Dollhouse back for another season, but they haven't given it a very fair chance to succeed...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 09:16:35 PM »

Cancelled  I don't think I understand why they at least don't finish what they have for season two and see how the ratings go before giving it the ax but I am not as smart as the people at Fox....wow that is really insulting to myself.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 09:19:11 PM »

Dear Joss, tell FOX to go fuck themselves next time they want a show from you.  the Sci Fi Channel may be a better candidate for your shows.

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 10:37:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 11, 2009, 09:19:11 PM

Dear Joss, tell FOX to go fuck themselves next time they want a show from you.  the Sci Fi Channel may be a better candidate for your shows.

I hope everyone at Fox involved in this decision DIES a horrible death.  Seriously they should all be bitchslapped for being a bunch of idiotic bastards.

Seriously, WTF are these people thinking?  Why do they even bother developing a show if they never really wanted to give it a chance?  Why do they hate Joss Whedon yet continue to want to hire him for their own amusement? 

Dollhouse was DOA if you ask me.  They gave it the absolute worst death timeslot, screwed with the premiere and early content, and topped it off with weak to non-existent promotion.  The only time I've seen weaker promotion from them was for Firefly.

Sure the show had a bit of a rocky start, but that's what happens when the producers tamper with it from day one.  The originally filmed premiere, while not the best, was a far better intro to the show than what they aired.  If you hire Joss Whedon (or for that matter take on any sci-fi-ish show), you should understand he has a clear vision, but it takes a few episodes to get guided there.

In terms of time slot and promotion, the thing about Fox programming is it has a multitude of venues to promote a show if they so choose.  From the Superbowl to World Series to American Idol 3 times a week to House and other hits, it's almost a no-brainer to find a slot to coddle and develop a new show.  Hell even putting it after Bones would have been a nice 1-2 punch for Joss fans. 
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2009, 10:39:04 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 11, 2009, 10:37:11 PM

The only time I've seen weaker promotion from them was for Strange Luck.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 01:13:22 AM »

To be honest, I'm not surprised. I'm just grateful Fox will let it run the rest of the 13 episodes.

The ratings was bad, and declining ever since. Yes, Fox bears a lot of the blame (bad timeslot, skipping days, poor promotion, etc etc), but to be honest, I feel that this show just isn't as good as Firefly, Buffy or Angel. Yeah, it has a lot of potential, and we only had 1 1/2 seasons, but Firefly did so much more in only half of a full season.

I wish Joss would go back to the Buffyverse. And I don't mean the stupid comic books!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 01:44:23 PM »

I just Joss would stop doing things for Fox. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2009, 01:54:40 PM »

I find it hard to blame Fox.  The show was quite crappy from the get go so who can blame them for having a hard time for attracting an audience?  Yes, it has improved substantially but they still weren't hanging on to what meager numbers they had.  It was a miracle it even got a second season and it's probably a minor miracle that they will be able to finish filming the season at all. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2009, 02:13:08 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 12, 2009, 01:54:40 PM

I find it hard to blame Fox.  The show was quite crappy from the get go so who can blame them for having a hard time for attracting an audience?  Yes, it has improved substantially but they still weren't hanging on to what meager numbers they had.  It was a miracle it even got a second season and it's probably a minor miracle that they will be able to finish filming the season at all. 

I agree (maybe not that it was crappy at the beginning, but there were things to improve).  Fox has been more than generous.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2009, 02:14:39 PM »

I never much cared for it, but my wife likes it. But even for her it's not one of the must-watch-the-day-after-it's-dvr'ed things.

Josh and HBO really need to team up.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2009, 02:34:02 PM »

The show just wasn't that good and the ratings were not very good either. Can't say I really blame them for this one.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2009, 02:58:26 PM »

I too did not think the show was that good....until I got season 1 on DVD.  Being able to watch it uninterrupted a few episodes at a time really brought the whole thing together and my opinion radically changed.

Here is hoping Season 2 comes out on DVD with everything they shot. The unaired last episode of Season 1 makes a fitting end to the show as it is.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2009, 03:33:45 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on November 12, 2009, 02:58:26 PM

I too did not think the show was that good....until I got season 1 on DVD.  Being able to watch it uninterrupted a few episodes at a time really brought the whole thing together and my opinion radically changed.

Here is hoping Season 2 comes out on DVD with everything they shot. The unaired last episode of Season 1 makes a fitting end to the show as it is.

Fox has agreed to air all 13 episodes that were shot, so, apart from Epitaph One, everything will be on TV (yet another gracious move by Fox, IMO).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2009, 06:57:31 PM »

Chalk that up to having adventurous greenlight executives that at least try out stuff, and the fact that fox really doesn't have anything else for the time slot.

Fox really should experiment more with DVD/Online material, and putting that stuff into low rated time slots to fill hours.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: