http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 10:56:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dogs - What Breed?  (Read 1665 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2006, 05:35:07 PM »

So, my wife and I are likely buying a house in the next month or so and are both going to get a dog.

She is definitely getting a Yorkie.

I have always wanted a Golden Retriever or a German Shepherd.  However, we want both dogs to stay inside most of the time (especially at night).  With that said, we will have a large fenced in yard so a bigger dog will have plenty of room to run.  I had a Black Lab while growing up and she was an awesome dog.  She shed horribly bad though and the last thing I want to do is fill our new house with dog hair.  I know Golden Retrievers shed a lot, German Shepherds don't as far as I know.  

Other breeds I am contemplating:

Border Collie
Australian Shepherd (they shed a lot as well, if I am not mistaken)
Italian Greyhound
German Pincher

What do you think?  Any suggestions/insight?  I look forward to hearing what you all think.  Thanks!

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 05:48:35 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, there's generally a trade-off between shedding and grooming.  The stuff whose hair grows long doesn't really shed.  The stuff whose hair stays short sheds like crazy.

We got Boudreaux, our 55 lb. mutt from the pound and he's turned out to be a great dog (sheds, though).  If you don't want to go that route, my brother just got a Golden Doodle (Golden Retriever/Standard Poodle mix) who's turning out to be quite cool.

I will warn you that it's entirely possible, even likely, that if you have the Yorkie before you get your dog, or if you get them simultaneously, you'll end up with a 60+ lb. beast that thinks he's a lapdog.  They see the other dog getting in laps and resting on the back of the couch and think, "Hey, I'm also a dog...  I can do that, too!"  And proceed to crush your houseguests.

You have been warned.  biggrin

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 06:03:42 PM »

If you need any specific advise about a particular dog breed,  I am more then willing to help.  I am a veterinarian.  

First off- German Sheps are one of the worst breeds for shedding.  If you like vacuuming hair every hour then get a Shepherd.

Border Collies-  extremely active dogs.  Need a lot exercise.  Very good at agility/frisbee type activities.  Now every dog is different but Border Collies tend to be a little nippy sometimes.  They also shed quite a bit as well.

Aus Sheps-  similair to Border Collies in active/temperment.  Also tend to be a little nippy/aggressive sometimes.

Italian Greyhounds-nice little dogs.  Shed less.  Very fragile frames/legs.  These dogs tend to be docile usually.  More of a house dog.

German Pincher- fairly rare breed.  I havent seen this particular breed in a long time.  These dogs generally dont make good family pets, especially if you have small children.  They tend to bite/be aggressive.

Now I dont know if you have children or what your work schedule is like, but certain brreds need more of your time/attention.

If you are looking for a nice, small dog that usually fits in well with a family and is not generally aggressive, then Pugs and Boston Terriers are very nice dogs.  They are a little on the crazy side but usually very friendly with adults and children.

Hope this helps,

DrJones
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 07:16:22 PM »

We just got our second Yorkie.They are loving little lapdogs,and yes,they do like to lay in your lap.
As for a bigger dog check and find the temperment of the dog to match it to yours.The different breeds all have different temperments.

Ye Olde Farte
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 11:16:07 PM »

One of the funniest things I've ever seen is when a border collie's herding instinct kicks in with little kids, and they start trying to herd them around the front or back yard.  They will gently nip at them or yank their clothing to pull them back into the yard.  Unfortunately, that sometimes topples little meatheads over onto their backs or fronts.  I've even seen border collies try and herd groups of small kids, running around them in circles and nipping at any that try and leave The Circle of Trust.  It's fun for the kids at first, but when they realize that a dog is bound and determined to not let them leave the front yard, they get a little feisty with the animal.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 11:31:40 PM »

We have a Chocolate Lab and love her to death.  She's a great indoor or outdoor dog and is great with our kids.
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 11:47:52 PM »

Cocker Spaniels are really good dogs.  They don't shed, either.

Growing up, we had a real lot of Yorkies.  They are really nice dogs, and they seem to get along well with just about any other type of dog.
Hapfloyde
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 01:35:42 AM »

I grew up with Siberian Huskies.  Not real big and willing to be best friends with anything that even remotely resembles a lifeform.  Unfortunatly, they require a lot of maintenence and become major furball factories every Spring.

Ha, ha, ha. You have struck Hercules!
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 02:48:17 AM »

Not to discourage you, but dont get a dog........... Right away.

I have a dog, but to keep him alive, he costs my family the same as a child. And more, I have to clean up his own crap, feed him 3 times a day, fill his water atleast 6 times a day, give him his innsoline shot at 8am and 8pm(daily) and if I miss giving him that i come home to step in a puddle of urine on the floor, and I get blamed for it! Anyways, thats just the daily routine. And I noticed you and your wife want to get dogs, in your new house, like that carpet you got there? Not for long, you'll have to replace it in a week.

ANYWAYS, I love dogs, ^^^^ all that must make it sound like I hate them, but I love them, my dog is apart of the family.

Ok so maybe I'm just suggesting, break in your new home before you start putting other things on your plate.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 03:45:04 AM »

Quote from: "DrJones"
If you need any specific advise about a particular dog breed,  I am more then willing to help.  I am a veterinarian.  

First off- German Sheps are one of the worst breeds for shedding.  If you like vacuuming hair every hour then get a Shepherd.

Border Collies-  extremely active dogs.  Need a lot exercise.  Very good at agility/frisbee type activities.  Now every dog is different but Border Collies tend to be a little nippy sometimes.  They also shed quite a bit as well.

Aus Sheps-  similair to Border Collies in active/temperment.  Also tend to be a little nippy/aggressive sometimes.

Italian Greyhounds-nice little dogs.  Shed less.  Very fragile frames/legs.  These dogs tend to be docile usually.  More of a house dog.

German Pincher- fairly rare breed.  I havent seen this particular breed in a long time.  These dogs generally dont make good family pets, especially if you have small children.  They tend to bite/be aggressive.

Now I dont know if you have children or what your work schedule is like, but certain brreds need more of your time/attention.

If you are looking for a nice, small dog that usually fits in well with a family and is not generally aggressive, then Pugs and Boston Terriers are very nice dogs.  They are a little on the crazy side but usually very friendly with adults and children.

Hope this helps,

DrJones

I have been trying to decide between getting a Jack Russell or a Pug.  Which is more friendly and not as high maintenance?

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 04:04:12 AM »

JacK Russells are more hyper.
Pugs have problems with their eyes and they shed a lot.Also because of their short noses they should be kept air conditioned during the summer.If you want to breed them they are more prone to C sections.Their temperement depends on their owner.
We used to raise Pugs. :wink:

Ye Olde Farte
Mykos
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 05:09:02 AM »

I have a Shetland Sheepdog. Excellent dog.  I am told by many that he is unusually laid back for his breed.  However they are excellent family dogs.  They are long haired and although the shedding is not terrible, there is still some.

Michael Haniotes

"When you woke up this morning you put your faith in something or someone, what or who was it?"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 05:39:09 AM »

I had a Miniature Schnauzer growing up and he was about as great a dog as one could ever hope for.  My parents have a Yorkshire Terrier and he was a bit of a handful when he was a puppy but he is also incredibly friendly.
DrJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 01:21:28 PM »

Quote from: "tru1cy"

I have been trying to decide between getting a Jack Russell or a Pug.  Which is more friendly and not as high maintenance?

Of the two breeds you listed I would recommend a Pug.  Extremely friendly dogs rarely are they aggressive.  Jack Russells sometimes tend to be aggressive.  I just want to say that these are generalities, every dog is still an individual.  I have seen aggressive Pugs on rare occassions as well.  Pugs have a few more medical issues but their friendly behavior makes up for it.

DrJones
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 02:59:56 PM »

I have two alaskan malamutes.  Shedding is a big concern but they are very friendly.  Of course it can be painful when your 100 pound dog thinks he is a lap dog.
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 05:15:25 PM »

I have a golden shepherd. Yes, he sheds. He's extremely intelligent, loving, and  takes his watch dog duty seriously.  He'll scare the shit out of anyone not part of the family. He weighs in around 105. Very good dog. His bitch is a lab/ridgeback.  Also a very good dog. No shedding for her.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 06:45:07 PM »

Get a mutt from the pound.

You get a new friend. They get to live.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 07:01:37 PM »

Been looking for another Dog myself. Currently we have a shih-tzu and a cat in the house.

Trouble is that neither of them are particualy tolerant of our four year old little girl. So been looking around at other dogs to see if we could find a breed that would be a better companion dog for her.

So looking for an inside dog, (so smaller) dog  that will get along well with the other animals and be especially tolerant of the 4 year old.  Ideally something with short hair to minimize on any additional grooming / shedding issues.

Originally We looked at beagles but they seemed too hyper and the book we read seemed to indicate that they liked to dig a lot.  We've since looked at cock-a-poos, pugs, cavalier spaniels, schnooles, all kinds of terriers, etc, etc.

We did see a boston terrier that we really liked and she seemed like she was wonderful but she was also a pretty young puppy and exhausted from a full day of being looked at - so weren't sure how she would be under normal circumstances.

Any advice for us?
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 09:42:01 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"

Amen to that!

I adopted both of my cats from places that were just trying to find homes for them; neither cat is a purebreed, but I'd much rather rescue an animal in need than go the Gattaca route for my new family members.  slywink

I was originally only going to get one cat, but then very early after I adopted him, I noticed that my vet had a cat that'd been left at their doorstep about a month before.  I worked out a deal to have them let me take him home for two weeks to make sure that the cats would take okay to one another, and then promptly adopted him when they got along right away.  smile  I figured Oliver could use the company when I'm not at home, and the new cat was far too nice to leave without a home.

Haven't regretted it since!

My family also only adopted our pets (three cats and two dogs) from animal shelters when I was growing up, too.

I love purebreeds for their beauty and "niftiness" as much as the next person, but there really are plenty of animals out there in need of good homes that we don't need to be encouraging breeders to keep producing even more pets than are really needed.  frown

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2006, 11:03:18 PM »

Eco, whatever you get for the larger dog - don't expect that the large yard will necessarily solve the exercise needs.  Part of the need for exercise is also due to the need for attention in some breeds - the old adage, "a tired puppy is a happy puppy" is especially true for our German Shepherd.

We are trying as hard as we can and are still having a hard time getting her enough exercise to keep her current "juvenile" behavior down (she's almost 10 months old). She's wonderful, sweet, etc, but also hugely energetic, and needs lots of attention and obedience training.  One of us works, one has a physical disability, and New England has lots of snow and ice, so keeping up the exercise has been very difficult. Also, she's smarter than both of us put together, lol, and gets bored easily, so she really needs both the attention, and the "tiring out." We're struggling to keep up.  It'll be worth it to us, but maybe with a new house and another puppy...?

If you can't romp with your "GSD" (German Shepherd Dog, official name, woot), long, and frequently, in that big yard - then go with a more placid animal. Maybe  a Golden cross from a pound could be your larger dog.

Check dog forums, too, there's a wealth of "personal story" type stuff there on all breeds.  The GSD forums are full of info that was very helpful to us.  Tongue

PS, our GSD has hardly shed at all - but we've only had her as a puppy during her first summer, so far... I was a bit dismayed to hear what DrJones said!  :shock:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2006, 01:19:58 AM »

I cant recommend a Golden Retreiver enough.  When we bought our first house the owners left the dog and asked us at closing if we would take him.  He has a fantastic temperment, smart and very easy going.  Right from the start I could literally take a bone from his mouth; all he does is move his head away.  When my wife was pregnant he would stand between her and anyone that walked into our yard to talk to her.  I have never heard him growl at anyone or anything, our neighbors sons used to play with him and he would let the youngest put him in a headlock all the time.

Our Golden Retriever is the best dog I have ever had or dealt with.

Note GR's are subject to have seizures and sometimes hip problems.  Our GR has a seizure about once every 6-8 months so medication would do him no good.
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2006, 02:52:50 AM »

Our Golden passed away last December at 11 years of age.  He had a type of Bone cancer that got in his hips.  We found out after he started limping after a walk and they x-rayed him.

He was the most friendly dog in the world and the only issue was he played with his mouth open, which led to a few teeth marks in the arms.

Awesome dog though and a polar opposite to our Smooth-Coated Chow when it comes to needing activity (our Chow basically sleep 22 hours a day and spends the other 2 drinking, eating, and outside on a walk).

Our neighbor also has two Goldens who are both extremely friendly and active dogs (Invisible fences may or may not keep in a Golden).
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2006, 07:55:18 AM »

Quote from: "Toe"

Someone beat me to it. Great advice. You can`t go wrong that way. Plus mutts are good stuff :wink: .
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2006, 08:02:23 AM »

Quote from: "Darren8r"
Not to discourage you, but dont get a dog........... Right away.

I have a dog, but to keep him alive, he costs my family the same as a child. And more, I have to clean up his own crap, feed him 3 times a day, fill his water atleast 6 times a day, give him his innsoline shot at 8am and 8pm(daily) and if I miss giving him that i come home to step in a puddle of urine on the floor, and I get blamed for it! Anyways, thats just the daily routine. And I noticed you and your wife want to get dogs, in your new house, like that carpet you got there? Not for long, you'll have to replace it in a week.

ANYWAYS, I love dogs, ^^^^ all that must make it sound like I hate them, but I love them, my dog is apart of the family.

Ok so maybe I'm just suggesting, break in your new home before you start putting other things on your plate.

I also agree here on some points. My dog takes medicine 3 times a day. It costs alot of money, and effort. He goes to the Vet for bloodwork frequently. It used to be every month, but since he is more stable it is less often. He had a blood transfusion, cancer treatment, a nervous system problem. That was alot of money, and effort, and heartache...

Now don`t get me wrong, I`m thrilled he`s here and doing good and we love him a crazy amount, but that`s alot of work. That`s not as "fun" as it sounds when you first think of getting a dog. We had a 18 month kitty we had to put down almost 3 months ago, and that was brutal.

My point is that it is great to have pets. I freakin` love mine, don`t get me wrong. But they are a HUGE responsibility. HUGE. I don`t have kids so I can`t compare...but...Pets are a HUGE responsibilty, with lots of rewards!

That just seems like alot on your plate at once.

Sorry to be so negative Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: