http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 01:52:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dog owners - can you watch "sad dog movies"?  (Read 935 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2010, 04:13:06 PM »

I was talking about this with my wife. We listened to the audio book of "Marley and Me" on a trip to Michigan one year and we were both bawling at the end (not good when you are driving  icon_lol ). Because I know how the story ends I didn't want to go see the movie and haven't rented the DVD or anything. Now the Hachiko movie is coming out on video, and I watched the trailer and I'm thinking to my self - "there no way I can watch this movie."

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »

not really.  I saw Marley and Me was on HBO the other night but decided to skip it because I had a feeling it would have a sad ending.  also, my one dog always tries to jump up at the TV whenever a dog is on screen so I avoid movies with a lot of dogs in them just to avoid any accidents.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 04:19:15 PM »

Traumatized as a child by Old Yeller.

Do not want ever again.

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 04:20:04 PM »

That's funny - I don't think my dog gets TV although we occasionally catch her looking at the screen.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 04:31:12 PM »

I can.  My sister however can't watch any movie that has anything at all done to animals whether it's accidentally or malicious.  She can watch Sin City and laugh as people get shredded, but freaks out at implied violence vs animals in Butterfly Effect.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 05:19:41 PM »

There are lot of "dog movies" where the dog winds up dead.  I'd be a quivering mess on the floor if I watched them.  They don't appear to bother my wife at all.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 05:21:21 PM »

We put to sleep one of our dogs about a month before going on a trip.  One of the in-flight movies was Marley and Me.  We didn't watch it, but we put up our head at the wrong time.

I want to kill the person who thought that would be a good idea for an in-flight movie.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 05:31:53 PM »

I love my dog (even though she's barking at ghosts or something right now) but watching Marley & Me did not do anything to me.

Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 05:35:40 PM »

I watched Marley and Me and the scene at the end left me sobbing as I remembered putting my own pooch to sleep months before.  The slo-mo in the vet is a little much for me and I don't think i could watch that again.

Hell i was re-watching Signs on TnT yelling at those miserable SOBs because they didn't bring the dog inside with them but instead left it outside to get killed...what damn ass who loved their dog would do that?  Plus it would be a lot more helpful inside if the aliens do get in.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 06:29:22 PM »

I have 3 cats and I can't watch sad dog movies.  Marley and Me got skipped, because I just knew I wouldn't be able to handle the end.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 07:18:14 PM »

I'm OK with them but my wife refuses to watch.  I was watching Marley and Me on HBO last week and she made me change the channel when it became obvious what was going to happen.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 01:17:10 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 04, 2010, 04:31:12 PM

I can.  My sister however can't watch any movie that has anything at all done to animals whether it's accidentally or malicious.  She can watch Sin City and laugh as people get shredded, but freaks out at implied violence vs animals in Butterfly Effect.

Heh.  This is me.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 01:43:26 AM »

I've read Marley and Me, but I have zero interest in watching the film.  I already know how the story ends, and I have no interest in subjecting myself to that level of emotional manipulation.  It also doesn't help that Marley is a yellow lab, and I have two yellow labs of my own who I love dearly.  Films like Marley and Me inevitably cause me to draw parallels to my own relationship with my dogs and whether or not I shed an actual tear, it tears me apart inside. 

I don't even like when my dogs are sick or not feeling well.  I refuse to even think about the inevitable when they reach old age.  At least not now while they're still young.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 04:07:22 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 05, 2010, 01:43:26 AM

I don't even like when my dogs are sick or not feeling well. 

Uh, not many people do like when their dogs are sick or not feeling well, Pete.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 04:29:22 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on March 05, 2010, 04:07:22 AM

Quote from: PeteRock on March 05, 2010, 01:43:26 AM

I don't even like when my dogs are sick or not feeling well. 

Uh, not many people do like when their dogs are sick or not feeling well, Pete.

Uh, the point is that illness is emotionally trying enough and death is another level of anquish entirely, cheeba. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 04:44:47 AM »

Dog movies don't bother me, but I can't watch movies where kids are endangered or worse.  That makes me need to get up and leave.
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 06:28:30 AM »

I am Legend had me bawling like a baby.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 08:12:12 AM »

Quote from: Flatlander on March 05, 2010, 06:28:30 AM

I read about what happened in that movie and refused to watch it.  I mean did they really have to go that route?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 11:58:12 AM »

my mum dropped me off at the cinema with a friend to see Turner and Hooch(this is the late 80s BTW)..as she dropped us off she told us she herself was looking forward to seeing the film at some time...when she picked up me and my mate after the film i got in the car and
Spoiler for Hiden:
and straight away said "the dog dies"
...she was well pissed off at me!!! ...i would be too actually,but i was about 12-13 years old and if i was older i would of deserved a slap

movies i am fine with,i do like Dogs(although i am a cat person)...i am worse with the RSPCA/animal rescue programs on TV,one was on yesterday where some complete tw@ left his dog in his BMW and the dog died of Heatstroke...i felt very angry at this pompous ass who owned the BMW

i did get quite emotional  crybaby at an episode of Futurama called Jurassic Bark,where Fry was going to clone his dog(but he didn't as he expected the dog to of moved on and found a nice family after Fry disappeared in the 20th Century)...at the end of the episode it went back to the 20th century and showed the dog waiting outside the pizza place for Fry to come back,and sat there for years and years until he finally died,still waiting...so,when ever i watch a run through of the Futurama seasons now,i miss that episode out

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 02:37:42 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 05, 2010, 08:12:12 AM

I read about what happened in that movie and refused to watch it.  I mean did they really have to go that route?

I've seen it but my wife won't watch it based on her expectation of what happens to the dog. I have refrained from telling her what actually happens because it is so much worse that what she is probably thinking. It's also worse that what actually happened in the novella.

Quote from: metallicorphan
Jurassic Bark
That was their play on the Hachiko story. Did you know that they stuffed and mounted Hachiko in one of the Japanese museums? I guess it's interesting that you can view this very famous dog, but on the other hand it's pretty creepy.

Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 05:30:44 PM »

Dudes, don't read this: http://www.amazon.com/Laika-Nick-Abadzis/dp/1596431016

crybaby

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 08:52:21 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 05, 2010, 08:12:12 AM

I read about what happened in that movie and refused to watch it.  I mean did they really have to go that route?

Spoiler for Hiden:
The dog was his last link to his family and the life he had before the plague, as well as being his only companion and friend. The dog had to die to push him over the edge and move the story forward.  But that didn't make it any easier to watch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: