http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 12:49:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does this movie download site look legit?  (Read 1887 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2008, 04:13:01 AM »

(edited by naednek) ** link removed **  --- Per the CoC --- 
Piracy/Warez
Do not post links to piracy or warez websites or mention where or how people can do such things.

Been wanting to rent Doomsday and it's been on my Blockbuster queue since before it even came out, but now it's on "Short wait".. so took a look for some movie rental sites and came across tf.org.
It's more than just a rental, it looks like you get the full (DRM free) movie download for 4 bucks.

Went back to the main site and they have tons of other new releases, and movies still in the theaters.. (Hancock, Zohan, etc.) for $4 also.

I'm very tempted to go ahead and register and buy a couple of these movies, but I can't help but think the MPAA is going to come knocking on these guys doors soon enough and then want copies of all their customers.. which of course, to the average consumer, this site looks completely legit.

Anyone have any ideas if it's safe registering and buying a couple movies from them? If they do get shut down, would that come back to the customers too?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 05:20:14 AM by naednek » Logged

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 04:16:09 AM »

I know it's wrong of me to rub it in but I just got this email 2 minutes before I saw this post

icon_twisted
Brinstil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 04:26:30 AM »

Don't be a pussy. These guys seem legit.*

*Note: They do NOT seem legit.

“The PS3 will instill discipline in our children and adults alike. Everyone will know discipline.”
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 04:29:39 AM »

yeah they dont seem to great.  Report the site to the MPAA and see if they are around in a couple days.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 04:29:50 AM »

Listen up newcock, my real question was (if you hadn't guessed it already) if the MPAA comes crashing into these guys, if that is going to in anyway get their customers in trouble.. because lets be realistic, to the AVERAGE consumer, it looks like a completely legit site.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 04:37:07 AM »

So just to be clear... you are asking if you can make a justifiably retarded decision so long as there is a limit on future consequences?  I mean shit, if it looks legit on the internets, ITS GOTTA BE OK, RIGHT?

In other words: you want to give your name and CC# to a company that clearly has zero respect for US copyright and IP laws.  Not to mention this site is registered in Russia (www.whois.sc/tf.org) and has a gmail account as it's primary registrar.  Oh and their registration page isn't encrypted.

I totally say you should do it.  Let us know how it goes.

gellar
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 04:38:01 AM »

lol i figured that was your question...my question is do you want to take that risk??  cause they could come after you if it isn't on the up and up

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 04:38:51 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on August 06, 2008, 04:29:39 AM

yeah they dont seem to great.  Report the site to the MPAA and see if they are around in a couple days.

you never know,there could be a reward...

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 04:39:18 AM »

Oh, and:  Seriously?

gellar
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 04:53:25 AM »

Its a Russian site - so probably run by some not so good guys smile

They only accept Visa...so if you are paying by Visa, use a virtual card....but in looking at their content, they have Divx/Xvid files - and looks like some of their contents are the same stuff that you download via torrents or other dark corners of the internet.  Some of them also appear to be video camera recording (eg, not exactly a DVD rip).

My advice- don't do it.  You will get low quality product, and if they ever get busted, you might too.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 05:01:07 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on August 06, 2008, 04:29:50 AM

Listen up newcock, my real question was (if you hadn't guessed it already) if the MPAA comes crashing into these guys, if that is going to in anyway get their customers in trouble.. because lets be realistic, to the AVERAGE consumer, it looks like a completely legit site.

Did you click the Contact Us link? It just takes you to a page where you can submit a support request; no street address, mailing address, phone number or corporate / organization registration info. You can't tell whether that organization is hq'd in an office building or an outhouse. As well, all that's stated in the license agreement on the registration page is that this organization is supposedly situated somewhere in Santa Clara county, CA.

The fact that it uses an ORG domain suffix would mean you probably, if it's actually legitimate, become a member in order to use their services. Which might mean that you, along with all other members, are responsible if the MPAA comes calling.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 05:08:10 AM »

You know, the cool thing about this site is you can get Iron Man... IRON MAN!!!! which isn't even out on DVD yet!!!  How'd they do that???  OMG!  Has to be legit right?

Yeah, you know exactly what this site's about corruptrelic.  You're not stupid.  And it's obviously a pirate site (since it offers camcorder rips of movies that aren't out on DVD yet as well as ripped DVD movies).  And it's a pirate site that you pay for which makes no sense at all.  You can find this stuff for free on the internet with about 5 minutes work if that's your thing.

And before you complain once more about censorship here at Gaming Trend, read the Code of Conduct and you'll find that linking to a site that promotes piracy is not allowed here.  But I'm glad you feel so at ease here that you want to use us to screen your movie piracy options.  Thanks buddy.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 05:19:42 AM »

I removed the link, and please lets stop with the name calling.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 05:21:14 AM »

Way to put things out of context. I don't complain about censorship, I just call it like I see it. You get a few people here (hetz, kobra, unbreakable, among others) who don't agree with you all the time, and you trigger happily ban them just because you don't like what they have to say. But hey, that's for another thread. Kind of funny how I am "promoting" piracy by asking a quesiton about a site being legit though! People here are smart, let them make their own decisions you don't need to do that for them.
I have a dvd collection in the THOUSANDS now, and between renting and buying I've given plenty to the movie industry. I'm waiting on Doomsday to be shipped from blockbuster, but in the mean time, if I can download it for 4 bucks, why the hell not? I don't care for the MPAA (or the RIAA either for that matter) but I'm not ready to go down with a site that may or may not be involved in piracy.
I looked over their website a bit and saw a contact address in Washington. Read over some of the policies and nothing seemed too out of the ordinary.

In any case I won't be registering with them, not worth going down with them if/when the MPAA starts their attack. Just *really* want to see Doomsday and doing a search for online rentals doomsday is what led me to the site in question in the first place.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 05:26:39 AM »

wait let me stop you there, because right now the whole board is laughing at this...
I just call it like I see it. You get a few people here (hetz, kobra, unbreakable, among others) who don't agree with you all the time, and you trigger happily ban them just because you don't like what they have to say. But hey, that's for another thread

LOL trigger happy?  Really, trigger happy?  It took a year for unbreakable to be banned, and end the end he was just banned for a subforum, he left on his own free will afterwards.  Hetz and kobra and many months of warnings before they were banned. 

Just because you own "thousands" of dvds doesn't excuse you from still buying legit movies.   I'm sorry you do not care about the MPAA, but laws are laws, and GT doesn't want to be associated with you breaking them, or inadvertantly promoting them.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 03:35:28 PM »

I have a dvd collection in the THOUSANDS now, and between renting and buying I've given plenty to the movie industry.

I personally feel that this is perfectly reasonable.  I've purchased thousands and thousands of dollars worth of goods at retail stores all over this great country of ours and I feel I've done my part to support these stores.  From now I'll be doing my shopping via the ol' "five finger discount". 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 05:00:36 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 03:53:41 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 06, 2008, 03:35:28 PM

I have a dvd collection in the THOUSANDS now, and between renting and buying I've given plenty to the movie industry.

I personally feel that this is perfectly reasonable.  I've purchased thousands and thousands of dollars worth of goods at retail stores all over this great country of ours and I feel I've done my part to support these stores.  From now I'll be doing my shopping via the ol' "five finger discount". 

Yeah...I've given hundreds of thousands, if not at least a mil, to my bank since I started working in high school.  It's about time that I got some money from them.  Anyone got a hockey mask I can borrow?  As per the OP's attitude, I'm entitled to free fuckin money.  biggrin
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 03:58:32 PM »

Thank you for an enjoyable read.  Please let us know how that $4 Russian bootleg works out. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 04:26:20 PM »

Wow, this went from 0 to hostile in 4 posts. thumbsup

I think Corrupt's point was that he's going to be buying the movie he's planning on downloading, so therefore it's not piracy, but an advanced screening. Of course if the movie stinks he would still need to buy it for that argument to hold water.

But what I think is really important to remember is that corruptrelic has the word corrupt in his name. Think about it.

Corrupt, please don't put yourself in the same category as the people you listed in the bannings. You haven't done what they did to earn their boarding pass to oblivion. There is no defence to what they did; you don't know the half of what went on with any of them so using them as examples of heavy-handed CoC handling is misplaced.

Yes, KG, I went there. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 04:51:30 PM »

Honestly, if anyone is heavy handed it's me.  I'd have banned the folks in your list far faster - my mods spoke up in their defense.  You aren't even on my radar bud. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 06, 2008, 04:51:30 PM

Honestly, if anyone is heavy handed it's me.  I'd have banned the folks in your list far faster - my mods spoke up in their defense.  You aren't even on my radar bud. smile

Read: You are unimportant.  Tongue

I kid, I kid
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 05:02:58 PM »

No, but I am. Tongue

I guess I should pay for that hard drive, eh chief?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 05:11:51 PM »

in other news, i saw that doomsday was available to rent from one of those $1 a night movie kiosk thingies in the grocery store.  you might try looking there corrupt.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 05:14:42 PM »

Quote from: Caine on August 06, 2008, 05:11:51 PM

in other news, i saw that doomsday was available to rent from one of those $1 a night movie kiosk thingies in the grocery store.  you might try looking there corrupt.

ya know, i just saw one of those devices at my local grocery store.  pretty nifty!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 05:15:21 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 06, 2008, 05:02:58 PM

No, but I am. Tongue

I guess I should pay for that hard drive, eh chief?

I suppose I should ship it too. slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 05:33:38 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 06, 2008, 05:14:42 PM

ya know, i just saw one of those devices at my local grocery store.  pretty nifty!

And dirt cheap, too, especially if you return the movie the very next day. And bonus points if you work at said grocery store. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 05:48:02 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 06, 2008, 05:33:38 PM

And dirt cheap, too, especially if you return the movie the very next day. And bonus points if you work at said grocery store. biggrin

i didn't get harold and kumar 2 back the next day, but even at $3, it saved me ~$12 from buying the dvd.  i average out much cheaper than the full stores and don't miss them.  no hassle from the damn clerk and i have never had a problem with movies not getting credited as returned like i did with hollywood.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 12:41:12 PM »

Man, how did I miss this thread....

Quote from: Destructor on August 06, 2008, 05:33:38 PM

Anyway, I just have to speak up about the awesomeness that is Redbox.  I use it for pretty much the exact reason that corruptrelic was considering using that piracy site- if I really want to watch a specific movie tonight.  Redbox is one of those things that you can't believe someone didn't invent sooner.

The only issue with it is that it's starting to get rather popular (at least in my neck of the woods) so the lines start getting a little long when you've got someone just sitting at the screen just browsing.  Also the popularity means that they often run out of hot new releases.  However you can go to Redbox's website to see what kiosks in your area have a movie in stock and have them reserve it for you so that last issue is easily handled. 

Now you wanna talk about ripoff?  7-11 is offering one time only rentals where evidently the DVD self destructs or something after 2 viewings so you don't have to bring it back (I guess Divx was just 10 years too soon).  But at $4.99  eek  Just wait three weeks and yoiu can buy the DVD at that price!

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 12:45:44 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 07, 2008, 12:41:12 PM

Now you wanna talk about ripoff?  7-11 is offering one time only rentals where evidently the DVD self destructs or something after 2 viewings so you don't have to bring it back (I guess Divx was just 10 years too soon).  But at $4.99  eek  Just wait three weeks and yoiu can buy the DVD at that price!

Unless the movie has Nick Cage in it; then you've already paid too much. Tongue

Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 04:54:32 PM »

I've seen those redbox kiosks but wasn't sure what the deal was.  Interesting... 

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: