http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 08:53:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does this email about changing my schedule at work look ok?  (Read 789 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2012, 05:53:36 PM »

I need to change my schedule at work to take my kid to doctor's appointment in the fall.  Does this sound ok as an email to my boss about it?

Boss,

My son is starting kindergarten in the fall and in order to make sure he misses as little school as possible we have changed his therapy appointments to occur after 3:45 when school gets out.   However in order to make that work I would like to change my regular schedule to working 8:00am-8:30pm Monday, 8:00-3:30 Tuesday-Friday.    Would that be alright with you? 

Slave

It isn't really a choice because my son has to go but I figure I need to "ask" so the boss won't be offended.  Does this accomplish that?

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 06:15:41 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on August 01, 2012, 05:53:36 PM

I need to change my schedule at work to take my kid to doctor's appointment in the fall.  Does this sound ok as an email to my boss about it?

Boss,

My son is starting kindergarten in the fall and in order to make sure he misses as little school as possible we have changed his therapy appointments to occur after 3:45 when school gets out.   However in order to make that work I would like to change my regular schedule to working 8:00am-8:30pm Monday, 8:00-3:30 Tuesday-Friday.    Would that be alright with you? 

Slave

It isn't really a choice because my son has to go but I figure I need to "ask" so the boss won't be offended.  Does this accomplish that?

Seems okay to me.  Usually for something like this I would actually speak to the boss in person, rather than an email.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 06:20:01 PM »

Agreed.

It should instead be a meeting request for a personal matter, and then explain the circumstances.

Also, do not "pants" your boss during that meeting.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 06:21:07 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on August 01, 2012, 06:15:41 PM

Usually for something like this I would actually speak to the boss in person, rather than an email.

This. Once you have discussed it verbally, follow it up with an email to make sure that everything is in writing and you have a paper trail you can follow if anything changes in the future.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 06:30:11 PM »

Sound advice from all, I would say.  Talk to him first, then email.

I tried something similar a while ago, but my suggested schedule of 8am to 8:15am Mondays through Wednesdays and 12pm to 12:35pm on Thursdays and Fridays was answered by a blow to the back of the head.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 06:34:03 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 01, 2012, 06:30:11 PM

Sound advice from all, I would say.  Talk to him first, then email.

I tried something similar a while ago, but my suggested schedule of 8am to 8:15am Mondays through Wednesdays and 12pm to 12:35pm on Thursdays and Fridays was answered by a blow to the back of the head.

think about it though:  would you really want to wake up (or stumble out of the bar) and travel to work for 15 minutes that early in the morning?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 06:47:20 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on August 01, 2012, 06:21:07 PM

Usually for something like this I would actually speak to the boss in person, rather than an email.

This. Once you have discussed it verbally, follow it up with an email to make sure that everything is in writing and you have a paper trail you can follow if anything changes in the future.

That is why I originally put it in email.  I like it in writing.  If he wants to say no I would like ti written down. 

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 06:50:09 PM »

I recommend these changes.

My son is starting kindergarten in the fall and, in order to make sure he misses as little school as possible, we have changed his therapy appointments to occur after 3:45 when school gets out.   However In order to make that work, I would like to change my regular schedule to working 8:00am-8:30pm Monday, 8:00-3:30 Tuesday-Friday.  Would that be alright with you?

This separates the parenthetical and eliminates a misleading adverb.  You are not requesting a shift change even though you want your son's therapy schedule to work; you're asking in order to make it work.

-Autistic Angel
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:52:59 PM by Autistic Angel » Logged
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 06:50:58 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on August 01, 2012, 06:47:20 PM

That is why I originally put it in email.  I like it in writing.  If he wants to say no I would like ti written down. 

Right, but this kind of thing is something that should be addressed in person first. You can always tell him that you're going to follow it up with an email for your records or something like that.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 07:04:19 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on August 01, 2012, 06:50:58 PM

Quote from: farley2k on August 01, 2012, 06:47:20 PM

Right, but this kind of thing is something that should be addressed in person first. You can always tell him that you're going to follow it up with an email for your records or something like that.

As many have said, it's the order in which you approach the change.  Discussion then followed by email documentation would be ideal. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 07:11:36 PM »

All good points. 

This would be much easier if he wasn't sort of a prick to begin with ... or if I didn't have preconceived notions that he is a prick. smile

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 07:14:48 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on August 01, 2012, 07:11:36 PM

All good points. 

This would be much easier if he wasn't sort of a prick to begin with ... or if I didn't have preconceived notions that he is a prick. smile

All the more reason to sit down with him and talk. If he is indeed a prick, he'd be more apt to deny your request if you approach it the wrong way.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 07:48:55 PM »

But what is the best way to approach a prick?  Maybe that is a question for a different type of forum. smile

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 07:52:07 PM »

Shit on his desk!!!!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 08:08:07 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on August 01, 2012, 07:48:55 PM

But what is the best way to approach a prick?  Maybe that is a question for a different type of forum. smile

It doesn't matter that he's a prick, at the end of the day, he's still your boss. You approach the situation the same as you would with a manager that isn't one - with respect. Explain your situation clearly, and most importantly, explain how this change will not affect your performance or quality.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 08:22:13 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on August 01, 2012, 08:08:07 PM

It doesn't matter that he's a prick, at the end of the day, he's still your boss. You approach the situation the same as you would with a manager that isn't one - with respect. Explain your situation clearly, and most importantly, explain how this change will not affect your performance or quality.

And then shit on his desk!  Tongue

Sandwiches do fix everything.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 08:23:20 PM »

Maybe I am old fashioned but I believe he should buy me dinner before I will shit on his desk.   icon_razz

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 08:35:17 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 01, 2012, 08:22:13 PM

Quote from: rickfc on August 01, 2012, 08:08:07 PM

And then shit on his desk!  Tongue

Finally!  Some sensible talk in this thread.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 12:00:20 AM »

you handle it LIKE A BOSS (NSFW)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 04:25:52 AM »

Not sure how big your company is, but if it has an HR dept or some sort of policy for this, you should check with them... and keep in mind it is a request nd you my be denied...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: