http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 07:17:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doctor Who 8th Series - Goodbye Matt, Hello Peter!  (Read 9462 times)
Krillin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2011, 11:56:44 PM »

Fair warning.  I was looking up speculation on River Song, stumbled across a MAJOR SPOILER on the wikipedia page. 

They don't warn you or anything and they give up a major plot point that will occur in an upcoming episode. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2011, 12:05:40 AM »

well the end of The Flesh two parter was very interesting.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't think that's the last we'll see of Flesh Doctor.  it could be a great way to extend the doctor beyond his twelve regenerations.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2011, 06:12:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 08, 2011, 12:05:40 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't think that's the last we'll see of Flesh Doctor.  it could be a great way to extend the doctor beyond his twelve regenerations.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Or it's the flesh doctor that gets killed from the season opener..

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2011, 01:49:51 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on June 11, 2011, 06:12:14 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Moffat has said it is NOT the flesh doctor that was killed. He has emphatically stated it's THE Doctor.

I think the first half of this season has just been incredible. Naturally, the pay off at the end is going to need to be strong or the whole narrative may fall apart, but as of now, this is potentially my favorite season of Who. Only Black Spot has been less than great IMO.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2011, 12:45:08 AM »

Quote from: JCC on June 12, 2011, 01:49:51 PM

Quote from: Punisher on June 11, 2011, 06:12:14 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Moffat has said it is NOT the flesh doctor that was killed. He has emphatically stated it's THE Doctor.

I think the first half of this season has just been incredible. Naturally, the pay off at the end is going to need to be strong or the whole narrative may fall apart, but as of now, this is potentially my favorite season of Who. Only Black Spot has been less than great IMO.
Agreed, although I did chuckle when I saw
Spoiler for Hiden:
the Captain and his son in the finale

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2011, 06:25:08 AM »

Quote from: JCC on June 12, 2011, 01:49:51 PM

Well, as the person who in this very thread said I was only so-so about Matt Smith, I have to say ........ I agree 100%.  This season has been phenomenal.  Lots of great episodes.  "The Doctor's Wife" is prob one of my all time favorites.  Can't wait for the last 1/2 of the season.  I will even see Matt Smith as the Doctor now.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2011, 02:54:06 PM »

My problem is that the episodes that Moffat writes are so good that the others seem weak at times.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2011, 08:17:19 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 13, 2011, 02:54:06 PM

My problem is that the episodes that Moffat writes are so good that the others seem weak at times.

Maybe my expectations are too high for Moffat as he set the bar ridiculously high during earlier seasons of Who, but I was somewhat let down by some of his stories this (and last) season.  But as I said, I'm probably just too much of a Moffat fan boy and should be a little more realistic in my assessment. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 02:44:59 AM »

Didn't care for the 2-parter with the weeping angels (nowhere near as good as Blink, IMO), but generally I like his stuff.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2011, 11:57:25 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 07, 2011, 05:33:45 PM

And one more update.

Steven Moffat just tweeted this about season 7 (the current run which just broke for the summer in the UK is actually still considered season 6 when it returns, not season 7):

14 eps + Matt DEFINITELY. I've got a plan and I'm NOT TELLING YOU WHAT IT IS. Now hush or River shoots you with her Spoiler gun.

yeah, but no full season of Doctor Who until 2013.

dammit.

Because I can,
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2011, 01:51:39 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 14, 2011, 11:57:25 PM

Actually, there's no guarantee we'll get a "full" season in 2013 either. It's really unfortunate they revealed/leaked this info without giving us all the info. Moffat has indicated on twitter there are "cool" announcements coming. We'll see...

-John

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2011, 08:20:49 PM »

prequel to 'Let's Kill Hitler', which is the next new episode.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2011, 08:38:53 AM »

well, the Doctor came back Saturday night (thank god for DVR's, otherwise I'd have missed it) with another quirky start.  for a moment I was worried I had stumbled into a bad Eddie Murphy movie, but it got better  icon_lol

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2011, 01:49:32 PM »

I wasn't a big fan of River Song when she started popping up during the last season, but she's really grown on me since then.  She had so many great one liners in this last episode.

German Officer: What are you doing here?
River: Well. I was on my way to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled, when I suddenly thought, "Gosh. The Third Reich's a bit rubbish. I think I'll kill the Fuehrer." Who's with me?

And The Graduate shout out was quite funny as well.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2011, 07:09:19 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 31, 2011, 01:49:32 PM

I wasn't a big fan of River Song when she started popping up during the last season

Nobody's perfect. I kept waiting for a knock on the cupboard door that never came.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2011, 03:11:21 PM »

(River's Voice): Spoilers!

Anyone still watching? I pretty much did a marathon of Doctor Who episodes a few months ago to catch up to season 6 just when it started airing and I'm loving the series. Sure, there's issues and all that.

How about some discussion on all the episodes between The Doctor's Wife, which I agree was a very good episode, with some heart warming lines delivered between the Doctor and the other character who really felt like they'd been together for a while.

I especially liked the two more Amy focused episodes, The Girl Who Waited and The God Complex, which in two episodes really had a lot more development for Amy, who every now and then just starts to feel like window dressing.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Seeing Amy abandoned, and the arc she goes through was tough, but needed, and again it came down to one of the show's very heartbreaking "impossible choices." It's also nice to see Rory showing some more acting and personality in trying to deal with that as well. And in the end, Old Amy giving young Amy a chance to stay.

Then, right after that is the God Complex, more foreshadowing, but with a heartbreaking moment at the end where the Doctor has to destroy his image in the eyes of one of his best friends, a girl who waited several lifetimes for him.

And now this latest episode, which is setting up so much, especially in it's ingenious use of:
Spoiler for Hiden:
"Doctor Who?"

What a good choice of question! Anyone call that choice of question before they outright said it?

They've also got a whole Stavro Mueller's Beta thing going on with time and people trying to kill him before he reaches somewhere.

And the whole, stepping back into the shadows thing might be an interesting indicator of how they'll be handling future seasons. More personal stories, but with a new driving goal for the Doctor, instead of just wandering around getting into trouble, or just trying to save the Earth one more time from (insert DW villain here), he has a mission.

I am a little disappointed that they didn't just kill him outright, but there couldn't be much of a show after that, and it wouldn't quite be the same if someone else just put on the mantle of the doctor. Er, well, I mean another character from the show, rather than another actor. I was afraid that they would turn River into the doctor (although they really need to do at least one season with a female doctor).

Also pretty nice to see River show up in time to meet with Amy, right after some adventure, only to reveal she'd been in on everything from the start.

So, thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 03:17:52 PM by Turtle » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2011, 03:56:09 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 02, 2011, 03:11:21 PM

So, thoughts?

haven't seen the finale yet, but my current thought is that it's going to be a long wait until Fall 2012 if it's a cliffhanger.

Because I can,
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2011, 04:48:46 PM »

And now this latest episode, which is setting up so much, especially in it's ingenious use of:
Spoiler for Hiden:
"Doctor Who?"
What a good choice of question! Anyone call that choice of question before they outright said it?
Spoiler for Hiden:
Awesome question... hiding in plain sight indeed!!!

Spoiler for Hiden:
And the whole, stepping back into the shadows thing might be an interesting indicator of how they'll be handling future seasons. More personal stories, but with a new driving goal for the Doctor, instead of just wandering around getting into trouble, or just trying to save the Earth one more time from (insert DW villain here), he has a mission.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I wonder if the Doctor will get darker now that he plans on hiding in the shadows.. Gonna be a LONG year
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2011, 05:01:39 PM »

They threw in everything but the kitchen sink for that finale, didn't they?  Overall it was a nice season ender and the final question was indeed hiding in plain sight.  Can't way for the christmas episode!

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2011, 08:49:34 PM »

I've been watching (still have to watch last night's episode), but I've been increasingly disinterested. I think Davies/Tennant ruined future Dr. Who for me. It's just not as good anymore. I think most of the enjoyment I get out the episodes now is drooling over Karen Gillan.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2011, 02:37:43 PM »

I would have to disagree.  Matt Smith has done a fantastic job as the Doctor and I find his portrayal a compliment to Tennant's instead of a point of comparison.  As for the stories, there have been some misses, but I still believe that Moffat is a much stronger writer than Davies...and I would wager that many of the stories you fondly remember from the Davies/Tennant days were actually written by Moffat.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2011, 02:38:48 PM »

Matt Smith is doing a better job than I expected.  I still miss Dave though.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:41:23 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2011, 02:40:51 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 03, 2011, 02:38:48 PM

MJatt Smith is doing a better job than I expected.  I still miss Dave though.

Smith's doctor is more like Tom Baker's doctor, imho.  But he does the character proud by capturing all the goofiness and childlike wonder that the Doctor's have all had.  He even manages to grab some of the bad-assedness of Tennant's doctor at the same time.  

I'm a big Tennant fan as well and he's my second favorite doctor (right behind the aforementioned Baker...who was my first exposure to the Doctor and will always remain the paradigm in my mind), but I understand that the nature of the show is that each doctor is only temporary.  That they manage to find actors who can capture the spirit of the character so well each time (with the exception of Eccelston, who I find to be the worst of the lot) is amazing.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:43:17 PM by hepcat » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2011, 02:52:38 PM »

most of my exposure to Doctor Who comes from the Peter Davidson episodes, then I lost track of the series (stupid PBS station kept moving it) and didn't catch back on until the FOX movie attempt.  I'm really hoping they do a massive DVD blitz for the upcoming anniversary. 

one thing Dorium (the blue head) said at the end just clicked with me:

Spoiler for Hiden:
the fall of the Eleventh.  this current Doctor is the Eleventh one, anyone else think that means the question will be answered as he dies and the Doctor Numero Doce gets to deal with The Silence?

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2011, 02:59:19 PM »

When I was a kid, I had a cousin (who was a seamstress) make me a 12 foot long scarf like Baker's.  She thought I was insane as I always had to wrap it about 8 times around my scrawny ass neck to keep it from trailing on the ground behind me. 

Ah, the early lives of us geeks....  icon_biggrin

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2011, 03:46:16 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 03, 2011, 02:37:43 PM

I would have to disagree.  Matt Smith has done a fantastic job as the Doctor and I find his portrayal a compliment to Tennant's instead of a point of comparison.  As for the stories, there have been some misses, but I still believe that Moffat is a much stronger writer than Davies...and I would wager that many of the stories you fondly remember from the Davies/Tennant days were actually written by Moffat.

Yeah, I am aware Moffat has written some great episodes (Blink, for example) which is why I felt good about him taking over. I just don't think he has really written any episodes of that quality since he took over.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2011, 04:02:55 PM »

Well, I will agree that he hasn't shown us anything that equals the quality of an episode like Blink in the last two seasons with Smith.  But I think he's looking at the long game.  He's spent this season establishing a long running story arc that I think we'll see become part of the mythology of the character at the end of the day.  

By the way, I don't know if it's still available on netflix streaming, but if you want to see Moffat writing some seriously entertaining sci fi, check out his version of Jekyll and Hyde from the BBC.

edit:  Yup, it's still up there.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2011, 07:58:52 PM »

I've avoided all season 6 so I can enjoy it in one giant buffet of deliciousness.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2011, 05:09:54 PM »

Watched last night's Christmas Special. I thought it had a spectacular opening scene and a lovely final scene. The bits in between were just ok. I didn't dislike the special, but I thought it paled in comparison to last year's (my personal favorite) Christmas Special. I would also probably rank it as my least favorite Moffat penned episode.

And after that, it's going to be a LOOOONG wait for series 7.

-John

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2011, 03:26:33 AM »

I liked it. I thought it did a splendid job of capturing this doctor's childlike sense of wonder. I like "little" stories like this sometimes, where not every episode is about some big bad world-destroying thing,

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2011, 10:07:45 PM »

It was a sweet entry in the Doctor Who history books.  The final moments of the doctor on the doorstep summed up everything I thought they were trying to do with the story.  It brought a little tear to my eye as well.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2012, 10:48:49 PM »

LALALALALA not reading this thread...

I am here to ask when Season 7 starts. We are nearly through Season 5 and Season 6 only has four disks, so I'm wondering if I can/should power through to catch up and watch 7 in "real time." If 7 doesn't start until Fall, I can continue with my current leisurely pace.

Also, am I correct to assume that it airs on BBC America?

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2012, 11:06:55 PM »

Season 7 will start in the Fall. Yes it airs on BBCAmerica.

-John

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2012, 02:23:59 AM »

That's perfect. We should be through season 6 by then without rushing it. And then, onward to Torchwood. (I'm going to assume that show has its own thread).

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2012, 02:22:49 PM »

you guys all like Doctor Who,right?

The Doctors New Companion

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2012, 02:34:04 PM »

She reminds me of Winnie Cooper.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2012, 02:43:27 PM »

She was apparently in Captain America, too.

She looks fine, but I feel bad for her, because it'll be a shit job for anyone trying to replace Amy Pond.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2012, 03:07:46 PM »

The gf and I just watched the Weeping Angels arc and Vampires in Venice last night as we work our way through Series 5.  I'm glad to hear that Amy is so well liked.  Anything is better than Martha.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2012, 03:19:13 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 21, 2012, 03:07:46 PM

The gf and I just watched the Weeping Angels arc and Vampires in Venice last night as we work our way through Series 5.  I'm glad to hear that Amy is so well liked.  Anything is better than Martha.

Martha wasn't horrible, but she was definitely the weakest companion so far. Even Rory was better than her. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2012, 03:30:47 PM »

I love Catherine Tate, but after her appearance in the Christmas episode, I was dreading her as a companion.  Out of the gate, she was better than in that episode, but even so, it took time to work.  But by the end, she was pretty incredible as a companion.

I liked Rose Tyler okay, but, frankly, I'm watching the new Doctor more for Amy than the Doctor himself.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: