http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 01:38:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doctor Who 8th Series - Goodbye Matt, Hello Peter!  (Read 10675 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2010, 03:02:48 AM »

is going to be split up, so it will actually be seasons (series) 6 & 7.  6 will start around Easter, then end in a cliffhanger with episode 7, the season 7 will start in the fall with 6 episodes.  Can't we just have our normal 13 episode seasons (series)?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 02:24:01 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 03:06:43 AM »

They were actually filmed 8 years ago in England, but we're in America, so....no.

Reparations for colonial revolution suck.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 11:10:32 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 31, 2010, 03:02:48 AM

is going to be split up, so it will actually be seasons (series) 6 & 7.  6 will start around Easter, then end in a cliffhanger with episode 7, the season 7 will start in the fall with 6 episodes.  Can't we just have our normal 13 episode seasons (series)?

You are getting a 13 episode series, they are just putting a break in the middle. Whether they call it series 6 and 7 doesn't change the # of episodes you get in a year. I figure they'll use this to put out 2 "season" DVD/BR sets to make more money too. I think they are doing this for ratings. There is always a lull in their ratings in the middle of the season, and this past series really had its ratings drop in the summer.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 12:50:07 PM »

Quote from: JCC on August 31, 2010, 11:10:32 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 31, 2010, 03:02:48 AM

You are getting a 13 episode series, they are just putting a break in the middle. Whether they call it series 6 and 7 doesn't change the # of episodes you get in a year. I figure they'll use this to put out 2 "season" DVD/BR sets to make more money too. I think they are doing this for ratings. There is always a lull in their ratings in the middle of the season, and this past series really had its ratings drop in the summer.

Moffat has said the cliffhanger is mind-bogglingly enormous and game changing and the kind of thing that if they put it at the end of a regular series, the wait would be too long for people to handle.  He's the one who's described as being more like two series, 6 and 7, but it's officially just one series split in two, from what I understand.

However, there's no question they'll make more money on DVD sales this way, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:40:12 PM »

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/01/doctor-to-marry-his-own-daughter-create-rift-in-time-and-space/

The doctor is marrying his own daughter, who is also the doctor's daughter.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 10:27:56 PM »

:head asplode:

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 12:04:16 AM »

Good couple as she is very cute and was great in her episodes too
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 08:07:19 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 04, 2011, 09:40:12 PM

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/01/doctor-to-marry-his-own-daughter-create-rift-in-time-and-space/

The doctor is marrying his own daughter, who is also the doctor's daughter.

I presume the groom and his posse will all be wearing decorative celery on their lapels.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 01:01:28 AM »

Because I can,
xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 06:09:08 PM »

In my head I still see Dr Who as David Tennant.  Even after seeing all the new episodes so far, every time I go a little while without watching Dr Who and I see him as Matt Smith, I say "oh ya, I forgot about that, David Tennant is not Dr Who any more."

I don't know if that is just because Tennant was so great or because Smith is kind of forgettable.  Maybe both.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 06:10:24 PM »

Bowties are cool.

Also, isn't this Matt Smiths last season?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 06:11:12 PM »

I like Smith and think he does a fine job with the Doctor.  That being said, Tennant was amost perfection when it came to portraying the Doctor.  Not since Baker have I enjoyed one actor's portrayal that much.

Quote from: Purge on March 10, 2011, 06:10:24 PM

what???   eek

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 06:16:43 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 10, 2011, 06:11:12 PM

I like Smith and think he does a fine job with the Doctor.  That being said, Tennant was amost perfection when it came to portraying the Doctor.  Not since Baker have I enjoyed one actor's portrayal that much.

Quote from: Purge on March 10, 2011, 06:10:24 PM

what???   eek

At this point it's a rumour, but the way BBC worded it, it may well be true:

http://sciencefictionworld.com/tv/science-fiction-tv/556-matt-smith-leaving-doctor-who-already.html

he BBC's response to Matt Smith's future (from the same newspaper article) was also vague to say the least. Apparently when asked about Smith's future beyond his second series as Doctor Who, the BBC replied: "Matt is filming the Christmas special and then goes on to film the second series. Beyond that, the BBC and Matt won't speculate on things." Surely if he was signed on for a third season, there would have been no problem revealing that information?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 07:50:57 PM »

It sounds more like he hasn't been contracted for a third series. Considering that the post is from July 2010, it's possible that BBC wanted to see how he adapted to the role before contracting him for longer.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 09:22:03 PM »

It sounds like he wants to keep his options open.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 03:22:16 AM »

Quote from: xenocide on March 10, 2011, 06:09:08 PM

In my head I still see Dr Who as David Tennant.  Even after seeing all the new episodes so far, every time I go a little while without watching Dr Who and I see him as Matt Smith, I say "oh ya, I forgot about that, David Tennant is not Dr Who any more."

I don't know if that is just because Tennant was so great or because Smith is kind of forgettable.  Maybe both.

I loved Tennant but by the end I was so tired of all the melodramatic crap with Rose and him saying "I'm sorry.  I'm so, so sorry" every other episode.  Smith is a breath of fresh air and doesn't have the continuity problems Tennant had to deal with.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 02:34:44 PM »

I listened to an audio interview with Smith where he strongly hinted that he would do at least one more series. I (personally) think after 3 he might leave, which would be a shame as I think he's brilliant in the role.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 05:29:12 PM »

Quote from: warning on March 12, 2011, 03:22:16 AM

Quote from: xenocide on March 10, 2011, 06:09:08 PM

In my head I still see Dr Who as David Tennant.  Even after seeing all the new episodes so far, every time I go a little while without watching Dr Who and I see him as Matt Smith, I say "oh ya, I forgot about that, David Tennant is not Dr Who any more."

I don't know if that is just because Tennant was so great or because Smith is kind of forgettable.  Maybe both.

I loved Tennant but by the end I was so tired of all the melodramatic crap with Rose and him saying "I'm sorry.  I'm so, so sorry" every other episode.  Smith is a breath of fresh air and doesn't have the continuity problems Tennant had to deal with.

I agree the overwrought Rose drama stretched out way too long, but I can't really blame Tennant for that (not that you are, exactly).  He was a fantastic Doctor and played the range of light to rather dark very well.  I love the moments when the Doctor goes from carefree adventurer to dark and dangerous in an instant.  If done well, it's very chilling.

I was skeptical about Smith coming in (just as I was with Tennant), but I really enjoyed the last season.  Amy is also a great companion.  Her mischievous streak complements the Doctor nicely.

xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 10:35:56 PM »

I definitely don't dislike Smith as the Dr.  I think he does an ok job.  I also don't love him as the Dr. I can't quite explain why, but I am indifferent to this cast.  Amy as well.  She does ok but I don't love her in the roll.  Like I said I don't exactly know why myself.  I don't dislike any of them.  I enjoy the episodes.  I am just kind of indifferent to this current cast. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 03:51:19 AM »

Tennant is my Doctor. That being said, I prefer Matt to Chris, and I *liked* Chris.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 01:16:54 AM »

The only issue I had with Smith's freshman season was that the writing was definitely not up to what I know Moffat is capable of.  I mean, the guy wrote Blink, for cryin' out loud.  That's one of the best episodes of ANY season of the Doctor.  Here's hoping Moffat got some sleep and is bright eyed and bushy tailed for the sophmore season.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 02:12:36 PM »

new trailer for the next season.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 02:30:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 01, 2011, 02:12:36 PM

Vintage makes it funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vIsQ25Krq8&feature=topvideos&vintage=1911

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 02:39:10 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 01, 2011, 02:30:02 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 01, 2011, 02:12:36 PM

Vintage makes it funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vIsQ25Krq8&feature=topvideos&vintage=1911

wow, I never would have caught that.  you are truly a god amongst us mere mortals Purge.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 02:41:07 PM »

Strange words coming from a bot. Are you Cylon, by any chance?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 03:42:49 PM »

just a freindly reminder The Doctor will be in this weekend.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 04:12:11 PM »

Already have a little Doctor Who premiere party planned with a few friends. 

Trink
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 05:52:07 PM »

I just saw a video the other day.  47 years of Doctor Who in 6 minutes.  Pretty funny.  I was never a big doctor who fan myself. 
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 10:34:01 PM »

Quote from: Trink on April 22, 2011, 05:52:07 PM

I just saw a video the other day.  47 years of Doctor Who in 6 minutes.  Pretty funny.  I was never a big doctor who fan myself. 

I saw it linked on nerdist.com.  Thought it was kind of interesting.  Here it is for those who want to see it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szHO-wEmvio

Also I thought this was pretty awesome celebration of 47 years of show too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGD52x-vb_M  This one made me want to go back and see some of the early episodes (I only saw a handful of those in my youth).

And speaking of the Nerdist, Chris Hardwick  just released a podcast of the Q&A with the Doctor Who cast/crew after a showing of the first two episodes of season 6 in New York: Whotopia  I haven't listened yet, but I'm told there are no spoilers, and it's safe to listen to before tomorrow's premier.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 07:55:53 PM »

i just saw this weeks episode..although not that much of a fan of the series it was my first full episode since those statues that got closer to you when you looked away(i dunno what they were called),and i was intrigued by a picture in this mornings paper..and was a bit disappointed

this is the pic,it's in spoilers for a reason Tongue
Spoiler for Hiden:

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, 07:27:33 PM »

Great episode.  Hopefully the conclusion keeps the same level of Moffat talent I know he's capable of (but wasn't displaying all that much in season 5). 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2011, 09:18:02 PM »

woohoo!  Crowley!  the beginning was a bit of WTF though.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »

My wife is convinced
Spoiler for Hiden:
that River kills the doctor which is the reason that she is in prison, and that she is the little girl. I am not really buying into this theory at the moment.

It has also been pointed out that
Spoiler for Hiden:
the room they find look awfully similar to the room in "The Lodger", but that might not be significant.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2011, 07:08:58 AM »

so, I'm guessing the little girl is:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Amy's child, not sure about the Regeneration at the end of this week's episode though.

is it just me, or did the first two episodes of this season seem a bit more disjointed than usual?

Because I can,
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2011, 03:50:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 02, 2011, 07:08:58 AM

so, I'm guessing the little girl is:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Amy's child, not sure about the Regeneration at the end of this week's episode though.

is it just me, or did the first two episodes of this season seem a bit more disjointed than usual?

Disjointed more than normal, yeah I feel that a tad.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm not an expert or fanatic but didn't the doctor have a daughter in a previous episode? I think this is Amy and the doctors child. She's definitely a time lord which makes sense as to why the silents went through all the trouble to get a space suit and alter to to 'eat' the child. So at the end of the series, the time lord child will kill the doctor during regeneration and the child will become the new doctor. I just don't know how old the child/woman in the space suit will be.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 01:32:24 AM »

I was pleasantly surprised to see this week's episode was written by Neil Gaiman.

[edit] The Doctor's TARDIS is kinda hawt.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:50:57 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2011, 02:04:19 PM »

It was a fantastic episode.  Kudos to Mr. Gaiman.

ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2011, 03:26:16 PM »

It was very much crazy Gaiman fair and one of the most enjoyable episodes in recent memory. Thankfully there wasn't a taxi driver.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2011, 03:04:36 PM »

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 05:33:45 PM »

And one more update.

Steven Moffat just tweeted this about season 7 (the current run which just broke for the summer in the UK is actually still considered season 6 when it returns, not season 7):

14 eps + Matt DEFINITELY. I've got a plan and I'm NOT TELLING YOU WHAT IT IS. Now hush or River shoots you with her Spoiler gun.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 05:35:36 PM by hepcat » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: