http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 07:00:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you still have videotapes?  (Voting closed: May 26, 2006, 04:04:17 AM)
Yes!  I keep them around like an old friend. - 24 (82.8%)
No way!   No more of those old relics. - 5 (17.2%)
What are videotapes? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you still have videotapes?  (Read 769 times)
Nth Power
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2006, 04:04:17 AM »

I never had a big collection of videotapes, but there's a few that I can't seem to get myself to throw out.  Mainly it's Star Wars and Indiana Jones and I think I still have Die Hard and the first couple Hellraisers too.
I have an old VCR laying around somewhere, but I know I'll never watch them again.  One day I'll probably do some big housecleaning and they'll end up in the trash. frown

I wonder if I'll be saying the same things about my DVDs one day...

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 05:50:55 AM »

I still had a few left, but threw them out during my last move.  I don't even have a TV, much less a VCR.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 06:39:33 AM »

Got a huge box of em.  Probably should ebay the things...it isn't like I have a VCR hooked up anywhere in the house!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 06:55:04 AM »

I voted yes, but I dont know why I have them.  I havent had a VCR hooked up in over  years.  I think I should just trash them.  Plus you know, videotapes are a lot of fun to destroy.  Maybe it is just me, but I love chucking them against a wall and then ripping all the tape out like flesh being ripped from the bones of a zebra as a lion preys on its carcass.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 07:32:57 AM »

i never had many to begin with, but i do still have a few around now...mostly because they're recordings you can't buy on DVD right now.  i kept my VHS copy of The Crow because it has a pretty interesting 'final interview' with Brandon Lee before he died that hasn't been included on anything since.    i'll also be holding on to my copy of the Nine Inch Nails Closure set until it's released in another format...great concert video and awesome collection of all the NIN videos up through the Downward Spiral era Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 08:12:18 AM »

Quote from: "disarm"
i never had many to begin with, but i do still have a few around now...mostly because they're recordings you can't buy on DVD right now.  i kept my VHS copy of The Crow because it has a pretty interesting 'final interview' with Brandon Lee before he died that hasn't been included on anything since.    i'll also be holding on to my copy of the Nine Inch Nails Closure set until it's released in another format...great concert video and awesome collection of all the NIN videos up through the Downward Spiral era Cool

I have both of those as well disarm.  I concur - they'll be staying, even if I auction everything else off.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 10:54:17 AM »

We've still got our VCR hooked up (don't watch enough TV to justify a DVR yet) and several videotapes.  I doubt I'll ever get rid of my Star Wars tapes.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 12:29:45 PM »

Pretty sure we don't have any.  Though we do have a DVD/VCR combo in our bedroom.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 02:22:32 PM »

I have a few left... I replaced most of them with DVDs a while back, but I have a handful that are available on DVD in Europe or Japan; it's just kinda expensive to replace some of them.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 09:28:17 PM »

I've still got quite a few, and break them out on occasion.  The DVD is hooked up to the big screen, but I keep the old VCR hooked up to the small TV in the bedroom.  Not terribly concerned about image quality on the little TV, so there's no reason to throw them out.

Besides, there's no way I would part with my 20+ MST3K tapes.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 11:14:59 PM »

You can always get a cheap TV tuner card, a cheap VCR, and convert them to media files.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 11:58:16 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"

Besides, there's no way I would part with my 20+ MST3K tapes.

I probably wouldn't be able to throw those either.  I have a few episodes on DVD, but I used to have a whole bunch on tape that I have no idea where they ended up.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 12:21:18 AM »

Funny, I just gave away a couple hundred VHS tapes last week.  I kept a few (Disney films, the same NIN set(!) as well as a few keepers like Fletch and Fletch Lives which I don't have on DVD).  I kinda hated to get rid of them them like that, but they take up way too much space, I have a bunch on DVD, and the tapes were wearing out.  My remastered (not SE) Star Wars trilogy was bad last time I tried to watch it anyway.

I'm just glad I found some people to take them because I couldn't bear to just dump them.

Good riddance to VHS!  I still have a VCR hooked up, but it't just to tape documentaries I TIVO to show at school.  I guess the next step is a recordable DVD player...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 02:19:24 AM »

almost all the tapes i own are either music video compilations from bands that haven't (or never will) been released on any other media, ever; or personal recordings.

besides, i don't even own a standalone DVD player.  : \
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: