http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 10:23:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you post at Octopus Overlords as well as here?  (Voting closed: April 11, 2005, 07:58:26 PM)
Yes. - 72 (75.8%)
No. - 23 (24.2%)
I got banned from OO. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 95

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you post at the Octopus Overlords too ?  (Read 5777 times)
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2005, 03:47:02 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Quote from: "gellar"
Quote from: "mytocles"
And Unbreakable.

Unbreakable, I'd absolutely punch him in the face if I ever met him.

oh, duh, i get it - it's a joke, right? Tongue  i often don't remember who posts what, so i thought... geese, i don't remember unbreakable being bad:?... i finally figured it out... sorry, un-b!

No joke.  Nothing he posted on these forums, or on OO, or even GG.  A #gonegold IRC thing.

Quote from: "warning"

And I call dibs on the next Weekly OO vs. CG thread.  I'll start it on 4-18 at 6:00 p.m. sharp.  Be there or be square!

At the bike racks, foo.

It's broughten.

gellar

Pffff... wow, you still have your panties in a bunch over me saying I wasnt tony72?  Talk about being a sissy; it isnt like I dissed you (or anybody) in #GG, much less did anything to provoke physical violence.  Having said that, you are welcome to try, but you had best make your first punch count, because you wont get more than one attempt.  I'll even offer you my address, in the off chance you are man enough to back up your threats.

Anyhow, the #GG experience was a pretty good... experiment, I guess you could call it.  I was trying to see what this 'team' thing was all about, and I learned a valuable lesson, which is that seeking the approval of any group of people, no matter how intelligent they are, is ultimately a stupid thing.  People, in large groups, are influenced more by emotion and illogic than they are by intelligence and morality, a fact political and religious leaders have been exploiting for fun and profit since the dawn of mankind.

And the lies begin again... but... totally not worth it.  Here's where I exit the thread.

gellar
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2005, 04:09:34 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
I think the poll is funny, as I am sure that jpinard knows the only person that fits into the latter category is Crowley.

HEHEHEHEHEHEH!  I wondered who would pick-up on that first.  You guys are sharp!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Oops, and I am very, very sorry about posting this as I somehow have missed all the threads about polygomous posting (please don't post a thousand links - I alteady feel like a moron).
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2005, 07:08:34 AM »

Ye Olde Farte
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2005, 07:39:15 AM »

Hehe, dbt it took me a second to get that.  :lol:  :lol:
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2005, 12:52:51 PM »

I post at both boards. I used to post more on OO, but with my interest in PC games almost dead as a result of insane protection/WW2 FPS/console ports and with my recent purchase of a PSP I've been here a lot more lately. Maybe when Elder Scrolls 4 and Dragon Age get released my interest will reawaken. The EBG section is where I spend most of my time ar OO. The Politics and Relgion forums seem to be a giant waste of time to me, as I know exactly who is going to post what. It's like a giant merry go round.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2005, 01:58:55 PM »

Usually the exact same posts are in both places, sometimes with the exact same responses from the exact same people.  Seems a bit repetitious to me. :shrug:

I post here for console-related stuff, and there for off-topic stuff (although under a different name).

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2005, 02:50:54 PM »

I usually hit the trade forum at OO but thats about all I'm interested in there.  This is where I spend most of my time. CG has a better feel and IMO a lot more content be it gaming or otherwise(the front page helps-love it!).  I'm kind of tired of some of the people over at OO anyways.  :\
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2005, 02:58:58 PM »

I like it here.  I like it there.  I don't like it when the jabs are thrown (I've seen it at both sites).
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2005, 03:01:37 PM »

Fun times... smile

Quote from: "warning"
We like to think people can change so we give people enough rope over here to hang themselves with.

If you go back to GG days I think you'd be amazed at how much rope folks were given...I'd almost say we invented the phrase, but that might be a little "elitist" of me. slywink  You've got the same mod crew over there operating basically under the same philosophy, so, unless you were banned at GG, the likelihood of you being banned at OO is about the same.

And I call dibs on the next Weekly OO vs. CG thread. I'll start it on 4-18 at 6:00 p.m. sharp. Be there or be square!

You forgot to mention which board it would be on so I'd know where to post!

Quote from: "LE"
but were basically snubbed by the elites (the current mods at OO) when said elites found out they couldn't run things around here.

To my knowledge, no one at OO ever had any delusions about running the show over here. This place was Ron's show to run, not Rich's, and certainly not the GG forum staffs', and there was no reason to expect that the mod crew from GG would just come in here and set themselves up in any sort of official position.  They'd have better luck (which is to say none at all) going over to Qt3 and trying to setup shop.

I felt GG and its moderation staff was getting pretty damn stagnant by the end

That kind of stuff happens when your "boss" is incommunicado for a long period of time.

Take a look in the 'Forum and Site Feedback' forum here at CG if you haven't had a chance -- you'll see moderators really honestly asking for feedback, really caring about opinions, doing their absolute damndest to make this place fun and enjoyable. GG/OO's mods never gave two f-cks. They had 'The Vision,' loosely based on what they percieved to be Rich's desires. If you stood in the way of that, you got run over.

Right, because it wasn't like the members had any say in, I don't know, naming the site?  You'll also see some requests from members that I've followed up on to add functionality to the site, and certainly the staff has solicited for input on what the members what the site to be.

Quote from: "Mr. Dunn"
I'm just disappointed they haven't taken the opportunity they've been given to turn that site into something better than the lowest point of the awesome site that was Gone Gold.

If only we all had someone with the drive and focus of Mr. Burke. smile Not to mention the programming talents of some of the folks onboard here.

It's true that OO is missing the focus that we're blessed with here at CG, but there is a plan, and while it is moving at a turtle's pace, it's very slowly happening.  We've finally settled on a CMS that'll get us up and running, but with that decision down, it's a matter of folks diving into the specifics of who/what/where, and those aren't quick decisions.  Ron can correct me if I'm wrong here, but CG didn't happen overnight, and if I remember correctly, it took over a year of work to get the CMS going here, or at least in its current state.

Anyway, the thing about these threads always make me think that folks think OO and CG are in some kind of competition, or that OO needs to be like CG or CG needs to be like OO.  This couldn't be farther from the truth.  Both sites have something to offer (hush, LE slywink), and each site is moving with different directions at a different pace.

Find what you like, spend time there, enjoy it.  I happen to like both sites and it's why I've offered to pitch in at both places.  You like CG but hate OO, then ok.  You like OO but hate CG (then why are you here?! smile), then that's ok too.  I just don't see the need to hate on one site or the other just because they're different.

In the end, both sites have dbt, so what more do you need?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2005, 03:11:00 PM »

Quote from: "Gedd"

And with that, I think pretty much any future OO or CG argument is blown out of the water. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2005, 05:02:44 PM »

And I call dibs on the next Weekly OO vs. CG thread. I'll start it on 4-18 at 6:00 p.m. sharp. Be there or be square!

You forgot to mention which board it would be on so I'd know where to post!

I'm thinking some sort of online forum volleyball game at both sites.  More to come as I dream this wacky puppy up...

Well said!
unbreakable
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2005, 11:24:05 PM »

Quote from: "gellar"
And the lies begin again... but... totally not worth it.  Here's where I exit the thread.

gellar

And obviously leaving without your manhood, as well.

If you are going to call me a liar, you had best back that up in some way, either with facts, or through other means.  My offer of my address still stands, so put up or shut up.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2005, 11:52:12 PM »

Gee, I thought one instance of "cool it" was enough, but I guess not, so I have to do it again...cool it!

Take it to e-mail if you keep having problems.  There was no reason to attempt to take "the last shot" on this.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
unbreakable
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2005, 12:06:20 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Gee, I thought one instance of "cool it" was enough, but I guess not, so I have to do it again...cool it!

Take it to e-mail if you keep having problems.  There was no reason to attempt to take "the last shot" on this.

I dont appreciate being called a liar.  Nuff said, sorry for making trouble.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2005, 12:12:47 AM »

biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2005, 12:45:53 AM »

Hello, and welcome to "Do you post at the Octopus Overlords too ?"

Come for the poll.  Stay for the pissing match!

:wink:

Back on the track of this thread, in one of those four-wheeled hand-powered carts you see in old Warner Bros. cartoons, I pretty much post here.  When it's slow on these boards and I have some extra free time, I visit OO.  But it's a bit too much like the old GG for me in that it takes far too much time and effort to keep abreast on all the in-jokes, personality friendships/conflicts, and miscellania (minutiae?) that occurs there.  As such, I can post here and feel like a part (albeit a small one) of the community.  I post there and I feel like an intruder whose words are quickly lost in the crowd.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2005, 02:55:44 AM »

If you post on both and the posts are largely ignored do you really post?  :?

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2005, 03:13:08 PM »

You guys need to relax...

Here look at this.

Isnt that better? ahhhhhhhh there.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2005, 03:53:54 PM »

This site displays a poster's post count which I really never cared for as it promotes padding and e-peen stroking of such padding. I have always had an unnatural hatred for such stuff.

But really, in my head, OO + CG = Old GG. So, i visit one forum, read and post, then visit the other forum, read and post.

As for the actually content and quality of the posts and "vibe", they both seem about the same to me. ~shrug~
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2005, 03:59:59 PM »

This goes back to the old days of the Internet we call it BBS's

You used to have to post to get "POINTS" if you will to download software. It encouraged posting and it worked for the most part, MAN you should have seen some of the padding there.

That said, some people like to see how much they are posting others dont care, I never notice.

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2005, 05:21:04 PM »

Nothing to say, just wanted to add to the image catalog. Here is a match set

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2005, 05:39:42 PM »

That unicorn is cute as hell!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2005, 05:51:14 PM »

Eh, it doesn't do anything for me.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2005, 06:08:30 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
I like it here.  I like it there.  I don't like it when the jabs are thrown (I've seen it at both sites).

I'm the same, well said.  I do end up posting more at OO but that's because I am one of those evil RPers and EBG freaks (really I don't see the elitism, and I've even seen some RPers change their views over time).  Plus it seems like there are more science-oriented posts on OO, which are typically some of my favorites.    Cool

I really think Ron et al have done a fantastic bang-up job with this site.  CG serves its readers well.   I'm probably one of the only ones who sees it this way but I almost prefer having CG and OO vs. just having GG.  I would take GG in its heyday, but I really feel like both sites benefit from a little friendly competition and the slightly different trajectories of the the two forums.  It ends up creating the best of both worlds for me as the humble reader/poster.     When I've depleted all posts of interest on one forum I can just head on over to the other, which I find most excellent.     Cool

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2005, 06:15:11 PM »

Quote from: "Toe"
This site displays a poster's post count which I really never cared for as it promotes padding and e-peen stroking of such padding. I have always had an unnatural hatred for such stuff.

Does anyone really pay attention to the post count?  The only reason it was an issue at GG (IMO) was because you got a custom tag at 3000.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2005, 06:26:59 PM »

As soon as I pass you up I won't pay attention to it anymore.

Ye Olde Farte
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2005, 06:33:57 PM »

This is not an open challenge, but I have honestly been surprised that post padding has not been very rampant here with post counts turned on.  I think it just shows we have a lot of mature people that like to carry on intellectual conversation instead of seeing who can post the most.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2005, 06:34:37 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
Quote from: "Toe"

Does anyone really pay attention to the post count?  The only reason it was an issue at GG (IMO) was because you got a custom tag at 3000.

I dont think I have EVER seen post padding at CG. I mean, maybe once or twice in a thread where it was a joke. It still happens CONSTANTLY at OO. That dude, whats his name? Dirt? Half his posts are just "in","here" "for teh pad" or something like that, with Kelric constantly trying to keep up and one other guy in the mix. Its so incredibly juvenile and irritating. The post count to the left of the names here promotes padding? Give me a break, I dont think I have EVER even looked at someone elses post count, and I only check mine out of pure curiosity.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2005, 06:37:10 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
Eh, it doesn't do anything for me.
I'd hit it.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2005, 06:38:52 PM »

Does anyone really pay attention to the post count? The only reason it was an issue at GG (IMO) was because you got a custom tag at 3000.

True in some cases, but for the most part, people who pad are doing it to just have fun with the back and forth.  I would suspect that the number of people who pad and are doing it to actually boost their post count is actually fairly small.

At GG, we had a fairly small group of padders, but by it's very nature, any padding at all is highly visible to the forum at large. And some of those padders continued to do so well after they'd earned their tags as well.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2005, 06:58:04 PM »

Does anyone really pay attention to the post count? The only reason it was an issue at GG (IMO) was because you got a custom tag at 3000.

True in some cases, but for the most part, people who pad are doing it to just have fun with the back and forth.  I would suspect that the number of people who pad and are doing it to actually boost their post count is actually fairly small.

At GG, we had a fairly small group of padders, but by it's very nature, any padding at all is highly visible to the forum at large. And some of those padders continued to do so well after they'd earned their tags as well.

And it was assinine, disruptive, childish, obnoxious, and continued to be regardless of the reasons for it-and it was never stopped. Thank god it doesnt happen here.
Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2005, 07:00:11 PM »

And it was assinine, disruptive, childish, obnoxious, and continued to be regardless of the reasons for it-and it was never stopped. Thank god it doesnt happen here.

That's funny I see padding just upstream from your post....     biggrin

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2005, 07:01:43 PM »

[removed]
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2005, 07:09:16 PM »

If you have suggestions for stopping the percieved post padding at OO please carry that to the OO metaforum.  (I believe that is where they take feedback)

Back on the rails please.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2005, 07:11:09 PM »

Yes, it is. My apologies, didn't mean to take the thread further off-track. Just getting a little riled up.

I'll remove my post.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2005, 07:36:32 PM »

And it was assinine, disruptive, childish, obnoxious, and continued to be regardless of the reasons for it-and it was never stopped.

And yet there's folks who'd say the same things about a lot of topics that might be thought of as "quality" posting.  I've seen folks comment similarly regarding sports, religion, politics, those picture posts (like the drama queen ones in this thread), "hot chick" pictures, "life happenings," silly threads, profanity, etc.  Should all those be stopped as well?

While we're at it, there's plenty of folks who don't like avatars, tags, signatures, etc.  Time to cut those out too?
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2005, 08:08:57 PM »

There was a pretty nasty wave of post padding when Teh Meal was gone and the more prolific posters caught up with him.  A few people (who'll remain unamed" were hell-bent on hitting the first page in the "total posts".  Those people got called on it and it stopped.

There are a few post-padders on OO but Dirt is not one of them.  Dirt is an incredibly insightful poster and a cool dude.  He just posts short because that's the way he always posted (even in the GG days)... but there's always a point to be made.

Just Hiro will do.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2005, 08:29:58 PM »

PAD

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2005, 09:01:50 PM »

Quote from: "Enough"

Yeah, that was me being sarcastic.

/golfclap

(omg is this a pad?)

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2005, 09:31:09 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Quote from: "Enough"

Yeah, that was me being sarcastic.

/golfclap

(omg is this a pad?)

Why did you think I was referring to you.    :?:  biggrin

Ged summarizes my feelings on this perfectly.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: