http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 12:45:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you post at Octopus Overlords as well as here?  (Voting closed: April 11, 2005, 07:58:26 PM)
Yes. - 72 (75.8%)
No. - 23 (24.2%)
I got banned from OO. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 95

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you post at the Octopus Overlords too ?  (Read 5770 times)
jpinard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2005, 07:58:26 PM »

Do you post at Octopus Overlords as well as here?

I see a lot of similar threads, so I was just curious.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 08:20:12 PM »

Heh, odds are if they are banned from OO they are banned here too.  Behavior doesn't change with the scenery.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 08:29:51 PM »

Not registered there, don't plan to register there.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 08:38:16 PM »

I think the poll is funny, as I am sure that jpinard knows the only person that fits into the latter category is Crowley.

Either way, I post at both, although my participation is perhaps 10x more here than there. I feel the need to tread lightly in saying almost anything on their boards, while I feel that these boards are "my" boards.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 08:42:28 PM »

I used to be split but everyone seems a bit more uptight over there so I only go for the sports sometimes now.

I really think the R&P stuff kills that whole forum and causes some sort of 'angry' vibe over there (thanks for keeping us FUN,  Ron!).

Some people over there take themselves WAY too seriously.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 08:45:47 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
I think the poll is funny, as I am sure that jpinard knows the only person that fits into the latter category is Crowley.

Ebonstone too, I think.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 08:59:08 PM »

What Devil said.  I've posted there a dozen times or so, but don't bother anymore.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 09:05:13 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Ebonstone too, I think.

Oh yeah? Man, he hasn't done anything even remotely bad over here since Ron kicked out vagabond. Wierd. Hes been downright pleasant to me in PMs and online too smile
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 09:17:19 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Ebonstone too, I think.

And Unbreakable.

gellar
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 09:40:45 PM »

I post on OO occasionally...only in the UT thread and a couple of threads here and there.  I don't like the elitest attitude that is rampent over there (not to cause disruption, just my thinking).

TheMissingLink on PSN
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 09:45:26 PM »

I registered under a different name and made a total of three posts at brutesquad (as it was known at the time...), before I realized I just didn't like the vibe there - mainly for the reasons Missing Link and Devil pointed out.l
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 09:46:52 PM »

I post over there on occassion.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 10:09:07 PM »

Ebonstone and Unbreakable? that's just crazy.  guess i'm glad i never went over there, not once.  i've seen some stuff here that i wasn't thrilled to see, but i'm a big kid now, and i can take it - and there's that thing - whadda they call it, free speech, that's it!  oh, and none of the "stuff" was posted by either LE or "un-b":D

mostly i never went to  OO because i was directed here first when i asked another GG'er what was going on with CG (was that you, lildrgn? i'll be forever grateful Tongue ) - and i liked it so much i didn't go looking for anything else.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 10:13:05 PM »

I post more on OctO than here.

I like it here too though... I just lurk more I guess.

I don't think OctO is elitist or angry, but I respect the opinions of those who do think so.

Just Hiro will do.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 10:16:57 PM »

I'm the opposite.  I rarely post in the gaming areas, so I spend the majority of the time over at OO.  I find the Off-Topic area to be a lot more mentally stimulating, and there are a LOT more topics in it.  I don't venture into R&P much, though.

When I do post games, I post PC over there and Console over here.  Seems to work out ok.

Apart from that, I actually prefer the way this site is ran over the way OO is ran (less unnecessary pomp and circumstance over here, much more straight forward).  There are just more of the posters I enjoy over there.

And then there are Unbreakable and LE over here.  LE isn't so bad, but he can go totally nuts every now and then.  Unbreakable, I'd absolutely punch him in the face if I ever met him.

gellar
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2005, 10:19:58 PM »

Posts comparing the two sites almost seems to be a weekly occurance here.

And honestly, I don't see where the perception of an "elitist" or "angry" attitude at OO comes from. But then, I'm probably biased.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2005, 10:49:43 PM »

And Unbreakable.

Unbreakable, I'd absolutely punch him in the face if I ever met him.

oh, duh, i get it - it's a joke, right? Tongue  i often don't remember who posts what, so i thought... geese, i don't remember unbreakable being bad:?... i finally figured it out... sorry, un-b!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

warning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2005, 10:54:14 PM »

I post here.  I post there.  I even post at Quarter To Three.   :shock:

I'm polygamous that way.

That said, some people have been banned over there but not here.  We like to think people can change so we give people enough rope over here to hang themselves with.  Sometimes they do.  And delightfully sometimes they don't.

And I call dibs on the next Weekly OO vs. CG thread.  I'll start it on 4-18 at 6:00 p.m. sharp.  Be there or be square!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2005, 10:57:03 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
And Unbreakable.

oh, duh, i get it - it's a joke, right? Tongue  i often don't remember who posts what, so i thought... geese, i don't remember unbreakable being bad:?... i finally figured it out... sorry, un-b!

No joke.  Nothing he posted on these forums, or on OO, or even GG.  A #gonegold IRC thing.

Quote from: "warning"

And I call dibs on the next Weekly OO vs. CG thread.  I'll start it on 4-18 at 6:00 p.m. sharp.  Be there or be square!

At the bike racks, foo.

It's broughten.

gellar
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2005, 11:08:18 PM »

I just post here. These forums have less 'noise'. Plus, there's almost no political crap here, relative to OO there IS NO political crap here. It feels more like the people who post here post because we care about the topics, not just because we want to make a bunch of posts.    smile

For example, looking over at the OO offtopic page, some threads with alot of action are: When do you shower, if you sprinkle while you tinkle, want to meet more women, get off the couch..., and so on.

To me that doesn't seem as inviting, since threads like that aren't my thing.  It makes it seem like that's a forum more for people who are 'in' on the jokes, people who think that stuff is funny or something.  Which is great if you are one of those people, but I'm not.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2005, 11:19:42 PM »

Not too get into it much, I just think there are friendlier people over here.  Sure I've had one or two quibbles here, but when I take a step back and look at it I respect everyone that posts here.  If I do post at OO it's at the UT server thread(s).

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2005, 11:30:15 PM »

I (this handle) was banned at OO by default, since I was banned at GG at the time of its death.

Sometimes I meander over to OO to check their trading forums and such, but I'm usually pretty disappointed at the quality of gaming topics there.  OTOH, they have Religion and Politics and a much more active EE forum than CG's, but frankly, those things don't really interest me as much, so I stay here.  

Also, quite frankly, I find the people at CG to be nicer and generally more interesting, especially compared to the post-apocalyptic aristocracy that is OO.  I was disgusted when OO formed because I felt like KD/AgtFox & crew opened their homes to the GG throng, but were basically snubbed by the elites (the current mods at OO) when said elites found out they couldn't run things around here.  

Additionally, I felt GG and its moderation staff was getting pretty damn stagnant by the end, and was eager to find a home in someplace new and dynamic, like CG.  Take a look in the 'Forum and Site Feedback' forum here at CG if you haven't had a chance -- you'll see moderators really honestly asking for feedback, really caring about opinions, doing their absolute damndest to make this place fun and enjoyable.  GG/OO's mods never gave two f-cks.  They had 'The Vision,' loosely based on what they percieved to be Rich's desires.  If you stood in the way of that, you got run over.

I'm voting 'No' here for a simple reason:  if I wanted to be at OO, I could be at OO.  Not under this handle, of course, but I could be there.  I was active on GG til its dying breath, after all, despite two or three handles being banned.

And I realize the CG/OO relationship is a particularly sensitive topic, so if I've said anything that needs to be, ah, amended, I apologize in advance and assure the mods that I won't hesitate in making/accepting the necessary changes.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2005, 11:34:35 PM »

Irony, thy name is CG.   Tongue

I post both places, but CG is pretty dead most times I check it.  OO seems to have a much larger variety of threads.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2005, 11:55:47 PM »

*shrug*  I'm comfortable with where we are.  We'll grow sensibly.  I don't have 6+ years of forum traffic to lean on yet, but we'll get there.  No rush...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2005, 12:44:59 AM »

Ye Olde Farte
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2005, 12:47:34 AM »

or if you like.........

Ye Olde Farte
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2005, 12:57:12 AM »

heh, that explains it - i thought the first one was "Bite me!"

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

me
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2005, 01:12:43 AM »

Hmm, another ones of these, I guess it's almost time for another "Where did GG go" thread to pop up.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2005, 01:49:06 AM »

Quote from: "Exodor"

Irony, thy name is CG.   Tongue

I post both places, but CG is pretty dead most times I check it.  OO seems to have a much larger variety of threads.

We have plenty of active threads here, shit I probably average 20 posts a day, regardless of their respective content, and there is plenty of GAMING discussion here, yknow, kinda like what Console Gold was supposed to be about.

I enjoy the occasional RP and PC thread I post in at OO, but to think the people here are somehow jealous? Yeah. ok.

At least we get LE.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2005, 02:01:30 AM »

Really, all these posts are for are to get dbt to post more pics of dead horses being beaten - I use them at work often. smile  Thanks!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2005, 02:07:08 AM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"

Usually your little GIF thingys make me smile at most.  This one made me actually laugh out loud so that people looked at me, well done!
unbreakable
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2005, 02:26:08 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Heh, odds are if they are banned from OO they are banned here too.  Behavior doesn't change with the scenery.

Not true.  Its called "Peacedogging" for a reason.

There is a cadre of people there who will never get banned, no matter what they do or say, and that group enjoys exploiting the fact.  It's the entire reason OO exists, IMHO.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2005, 02:36:26 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"

There is a cadre of people there who will never get banned, no matter what they do or say, and that group enjoys exploiting the fact.  It's the entire reason OO exists, IMHO.
Yeah, that's pretty much the best description of GG/OO I've ever read.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2005, 02:37:41 AM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"

dbt is my hero!
unbreakable
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2005, 02:51:53 AM »

Quote from: "gellar"
Quote from: "mytocles"
And Unbreakable.

No joke.  Nothing he posted on these forums, or on OO, or even GG.  A #gonegold IRC thing.

Quote from: "warning"

At the bike racks, foo.

It's broughten.

gellar

Pffff... wow, you still have your panties in a bunch over me saying I wasnt tony72?  Talk about being a sissy; it isnt like I dissed you (or anybody) in #GG, much less did anything to provoke physical violence.  Having said that, you are welcome to try, but you had best make your first punch count, because you wont get more than one attempt.  I'll even offer you my address, in the off chance you are man enough to back up your threats.

Anyhow, the #GG experience was a pretty good... experiment, I guess you could call it.  I was trying to see what this 'team' thing was all about, and I learned a valuable lesson, which is that seeking the approval of any group of people, no matter how intelligent they are, is ultimately a stupid thing.  People, in large groups, are influenced more by emotion and illogic than they are by intelligence and morality, a fact political and religious leaders have been exploiting for fun and profit since the dawn of mankind.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2005, 02:53:48 AM »

Just a little "cool it" message before things explode.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
unbreakable
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2005, 02:54:44 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Just a little "cool it" message before things explode.

No problem, I dont see much more needs to be said on my part that hasnt been said.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2005, 03:02:34 AM »

While I post at both boards, and certainly think highly of this board (it has the added bonus of being the board my two best friends in the world post to), I post a lot more at OO. Mainly because I'm only interested in the "off topic" stuff.

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2005, 03:11:24 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Quote from: "unbreakable"

Yeah, that's pretty much the best description of GG/OO I've ever read.

We are the Ka-Tet.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2005, 03:44:14 AM »

I lurk over there sometimes, but I've never registered or have posted.  It's not necessarily out of loyalty to here or anything, more that I just havn't found a thread I've felt motivated enough to register to post in.  Mostly I just poke around every now and then to see if there's any sign of them actually doing something with the site.  Every thread that starts off as a serious discussion about the direction the site is going ends up like the end of a 70s sitcom- somebody cracks a joke and the laughtrack starts.  But instead of the credits rolling, someone else cracks a joke and the laughtrack starts again, ad infinitum.  It just strikes me as a little, well, masturbatory.  Seriously, the 'meta-forum' might as well be called 'circle-jerk'.  Now, that may come off as harsh, but I was honestly hoping for something more interesting than that over there.  I watched the 'Artist wanted' thread for weeks as it devolved into an MS paint scribble war and eventually left in disgust.  I would have offered my help with their art needs out of loyalty to Gone Gold alone if I thought they had any focus on making that site more than just a forum of ex- gone-golders stuck in the same rut Gone Gold was in before it's demise.

And that's all I'm going to say on the matter.  I've kept that in for a while mostly because I don't want to rankle the cross posters and fine people running OO, I have nothing against them.  I'm just disappointed they haven't taken the opportunity they've been given to turn that site into something better than the lowest point of the awesome site that was Gone Gold.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: