http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 03:11:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do You Go To High School/College Reunions?  (Read 1034 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2012, 05:12:30 PM »

Major HS reunion is coming up next year and I'm torn on whether to bother.

It's a few hundred miles away (though not difficult to get to) and the cost per ticket is a little high given my fiscal responsibilities, but I'm still mulling it.  The real issue though, is that I'm basically in touch with everyone I wish to be and was even before facebook...

What about you?

Edit: College reunions just seem lame by comparison. Doubt I'll ever go to one of those...
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 05:28:36 PM »

I've only had one opportunity (ten year reunion) and I skipped it without giving it much thought.  Similar situation as you though: it's in LA and I'm in SF, which is marginally inconvenient.  I've kept in contact with the two people I actually cared to keep in contact with.  I really had no major reason to go... I'm sure if I was still in LA I would have gone, but I couldn't justify caring enough to buy a plane ticket and hotel room to make it happen.

I have to admit I did want to show the level of awesome I have achieved relative to everyone else, but people can see that on Facebook so that was good enough for me.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 05:31:56 PM »

I went to my high school 10 and 15.  10 was fun, first time seeing everyone and there was no FB or social media so it was really interesting seeing everyone after a decade.  15 was low key and very small turn out.  Lots of people brought their kids.  I'll go to 20, I enjoy catching up with most people.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 05:36:14 PM »

nope, mainly because anyone I cared about from HS I have seen on a semi-regular basis without the need for one.  I did see some pics from my classes 20 year reunion that took place this summer and didn't recognize half the people anyways.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 05:49:53 PM »

Go just go.

I went to my 20yr HS reunion this summer and it was a blast. I was of the same mind about the contacts that I decided to keep via Facebook the same way you have.
However it was still great to see many many faces. I had a great time and was very surprised that I had as much fun as I did.

Go. You will enjoy it.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 06:53:30 PM »

No.  Haven't been and don't plan on going. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 07:21:31 PM »

Went to my 10 year and didn't enjoy it much.  Same idiots behaving the same way they did back in HS.  Skipped my 20 year this summer, although I heard from friends that it was significantly better.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 07:26:45 PM »

A bunch of people from my old high school have friended me over the years on facebook.  Everytime I see an update notice for one of their pages, it's some inane bullshit from the tea party, a diatribe on how the government should let them use automatic weapons to shoot pigeons and foreigners on their own land, or some heart renching/warming story about a lost cat that either died defusing a bomb set by terrorists or found it's way home from the sea of tranquility after being left there by Niel Armstrong years ago.  

So no.  I have no desire to see these people, interact with these people, or even acknowledge they exist (beyond a small handful of sane folk from those days).  I don't UNfriend them simply because anyone that would shoot a foreigner for stepping foot on their property probably wouldn't hesitate to hunt me down and gut me like a pig if I did so.

also see: Ohioans, Ceekay and Scraper
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 07:28:23 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 07:38:22 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 06, 2012, 07:26:45 PM

A bunch of people from my old high school have friended me over the years on facebook.  Everytime I see an update notice for one of their pages, it's some inane bullshit from the tea party, a diatribe on how the government should let them use automatic weapons to shoot pigeons and foreigners on their own land, or some heart renching/warming story about a lost cat that either died defusing a bomb set by terrorists or found it's way home from the sea of tranquility after being left there by Niel Armstrong years ago.  

So no.  I have no desire to see these people, interact with these people, or even acknowledge they exist (beyond a small handful of sane folk from those days).  I don't UNfriend them simply because anyone that would shoot a foreigner for stepping foot on their property probably wouldn't hesitate to hunt me down and gut me like a pig if I did so.

Wrong forum? 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 07:53:52 PM »

I had no idea what to expect from mine other than that I probably wouldn't enjoy it and wouldn't know many people there.  I went anyway and had a blast. (my 20 fwiw, I think enough people change by 20 years that it's probably better than the 10.  I dont' know though since I wasn't invited to the 10 year, despite living at the exact same address and same phone number as when I went to school... Tongue )
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 08:40:37 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 06, 2012, 07:38:22 PM

Quote from: hepcat on November 06, 2012, 07:26:45 PM

A bunch of people from my old high school have friended me over the years on facebook.  Everytime I see an update notice for one of their pages, it's some inane bullshit from the tea party, a diatribe on how the government should let them use automatic weapons to shoot pigeons and foreigners on their own land, or some heart renching/warming story about a lost cat that either died defusing a bomb set by terrorists or found it's way home from the sea of tranquility after being left there by Niel Armstrong years ago. 

So no.  I have no desire to see these people, interact with these people, or even acknowledge they exist (beyond a small handful of sane folk from those days).  I don't UNfriend them simply because anyone that would shoot a foreigner for stepping foot on their property probably wouldn't hesitate to hunt me down and gut me like a pig if I did so.

Wrong forum? 

nope

A bunch of people from my old high school

So no.  I have no desire to see these people, interact with these people, or even acknowledge they exist

I just took a more verbose approach to answering the question in order to illuminate the reasons why I have no desire to attend high school reunions.

p.s. I was just teasin' ceekay and scraper for being from my neck of the woods.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 08:54:55 PM »

I think my brother attended his 30th high school reunion in 2009 (or maybe it was a later one a year or two later). He had a very nice time, and enjoyed at least briefly reconnecting some friends from then he had lost touch with. It wasn't a special trip though, just a 2 hour drive here in Virginia.

imho, it's more problematic when you graduated from a high school on a military base overseas like me (Seoul, Korea) because the reunions end up rotating locations all over the country. I think I just missed a chance to attend one in Va. a couple years ago. But honestly, the pals I've made over the years were mostly through work or community service groups. I'm not really sure there's anyone from HS days I'd want to see now, and at my college the senior class just didn't know each other much (too big a school).

Fossil I am, I could've attended some 25th reunion stuff at my college this year, but the only folks I was close to were on my college newspaper staff and all but a couple drifted away and out of touch.

My 2 cents is really if there are people from HS/college you lost touch with that you'd like to reconnect with (I think that's half of what Facebook's purpose is really), then maybe it's worth going. If you feel like it's just revisiting some sort of Hell on Earth you'd rather forget, then skip it and don't worry about it.  icon_smile

I do recall my best friend attended some reunions fewer years from graduation (I think he attended a 10th and a 20th). He noted that some people expected to Succeed seemed very much unhappy, and some gals considered gorgeous as teens had gone to pot, as were some guys who were HS jocks in their day. I guess I could see the amusement in getting to see that, but I figure most of us are better served in moving on with our lives and not taking glee in seeing others' misfortunes at a reunion.  icon_smile

Lastly, my sister-in-law's sister died of a massive heart attack at a HS reunion some years ago. I think it was maybe a 25th or 30th reunion. She'd resorted to one of those "gastric tube" surgeries to remedy a lifelong weight problem, married a guy who'd had the same procedure, attends this reunion and impresses all those old classmates, and then BOOM. Dead. Horrible.  icon_frown

And another reason to be leery of reunions if you think they'll stress you out.  paranoid
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 09:00:14 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 09:50:10 PM »

Good timing.  Just had my 20 year last Saturday and had an Epic time.  Skipped my ten year but went to this one.  I went all in and did the football game on Friday night (about 40 of us went to a bar afterwards till around 11pm) and then the big party on Saturday.  $70 full spread of Latino finger foods and full open bar for 3 hours.  That poor place did not make a dime as we were around 200+ strong and rocked that place.   Most went onto the Hotel bar at the W where we had a whole floor booked.  It was a long, fun night. I would say go as I really enjoyed seeing a bunch of folks I haven't in a long time.  Though I guess depending on how you viewed your high school years is the biggest determining factor.  My wife who went to same school but graduated 6 years later will/would not go to hers. Though she was a band geek and I was super cool  Cool.  I kid.  As mentioned above after 20 years it's neat to see how people have changed or not.

morlac00 on PSN
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 09:55:21 PM »

My 20th is next summer, and at this point, I'm in the maybe column.  I had no interest in seeing those people after 10 years, as I had my degree, and not much else to show for it.  I imagine that the place will be all about the families at this stage.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 11:51:30 PM »

The first time I got a postcard inviting me to a HS reunion, I wrote "DECEASED" on it and mailed it back. Never got another one.

Sometimes I wonder if they had any kind of memorial for me.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 11:53:58 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on November 06, 2012, 11:51:30 PM

The first time I got a postcard inviting me to a HS reunion, I wrote "DECEASED" on it and mailed it back. Never got another one.

The reason you didn't get anymore is because they disbanded the school on receiving your sad news.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 12:53:26 AM »

I went to my 10 year HS reunion and had fun.

I went to my 15 year HS reunion and it was so so.

I went to the Friday night cocktail party for my 20th reunion and was bored.

I haven't been to one since. My 40th is 2014.

I don't know when my college ones have been and I don't care.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 02:06:33 AM »

I've gone to my 5th/10th high school. Haven't been to a college one yet (only had the 5th), but I've had some more informal college ones with friends in the area
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 02:42:42 AM »

It depends on how many of my old friends are going. Even then, it's a dicey proposition.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 02:57:33 AM »

Went to one a few years ago.
Wouldn't let me in with out a ticket.
Went around to the gym door.
Some one had propped it open with a stone.
Just like 40 years ago.
Some things never change.
It was fun after that.

Byte me
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 05:33:45 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on November 06, 2012, 11:51:30 PM

There is something oddly funny about this...
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 06:26:42 AM »

Quote from: ANZAC on November 07, 2012, 02:57:33 AM

Went to one a few years ago.
Wouldn't let me in with out a ticket.
Went around to the gym door.
Some one had propped it open with a stone.
Just like 40 years ago.
Some things never change.
It was fun after that.

Groovy beat poetry, man.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 06:39:35 AM »

Quote from: Scuzz on November 07, 2012, 12:53:26 AM

I haven't been to one since. My 40th is 2014.

Just got a notice that my 40th is next year. Good Lord.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 12:49:46 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 06, 2012, 07:21:31 PM

Went to my 10 year and didn't enjoy it much.  Same idiots behaving the same way they did back in HS.

Same experience.  The same cliques existed 10 years later.  Haven't considered returning to any subsequent reunions since.  Not to mention that I only keep in touch with one person from my high school days and have little interest in returning to where I grew up.  Some people really enjoy their reunions, but that can definitely depend on the level of maturity of attendees and whether they've since progressed beyond past social groupings.

It can be a fun party, but I see little obligation to return especially if financial strain or availability are considerations. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 01:29:51 PM »

This is always something I wonder about. I've never had to make a choice of going or not. I dropped out of school in Gr. 10. I was the kid who always got, "He, has so much potential" remarks on report cards.  slywink
I thought I was too cool to stay in school. Ain't that a lie from the Pit?

Always regreted leaving school. But the Army made sure I learned about life from another perspective.

I think I would like to have your problem of going or not.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 03:40:41 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on November 07, 2012, 01:29:51 PM

I think I would like to have your problem of going or not.

If you pay your way, you can go as me. 
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 06:42:04 PM »

Nah.  Didn't go to my 10th, as I had a work trip, and didn't really care.  

With social media I really get all the updates I need.  My 20th didn't happen because no one really cared.

I may go to the Class of 93's 20th reunion... they're not limiting it to a particular class, and most of my close friends were a grade ahead or a grade behind me.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 06:47:35 PM by Laner » Logged
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 11:22:19 PM »

Maybe the best school reunion I have been to was my wife's 20th. She graduated from what was then a one high school town in the middle of Ag land. They had 2 elementary schools (k-8). It just so happened that year was the schools 100th anniversary (or maybe the towns?) so they had reunions for every 10 year period on the same day in the same location, the county fair grounds. Her parents, aunts and uncles were there. She had cousins of all ages there. It was a good time.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2012, 12:43:27 AM »

Missed my 10th.  I am from a very small town in rural Virginia, so getting there from Seattle would've required quite a hassle and expense.  I saw the pictures posted later.  There were a few people I would've liked to see, but for the most part the attendees were just everyone who has been unable to escape that crappy little town.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: