http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 12:19:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you feel old?  (Read 719 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2005, 05:59:11 AM »

With several posts on older games and gaming grandmas and then me talking to the Oak Bot creator of playing the original Quake "back in the days" (hard to believe it's been 10 years already) I'm starting to feel the age catching up and the worst part of it all is, there's nothing I can do to stop it.

Recently at Camp Blanding we had this stupid ethics exercise about your biggest fear and in all honesty mine was (is) getting old.

I've never married and have no children and without a son, your family name can't continue.
Hell it's been two years since I've been on my last date and it's been a good 3+ years since I broke up with my cheating ex girlfriend.
And I still haven't had much interest in getting back into the dating game again.

Anyone else out there in the same boat? Like you look back at a movie like lets say Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (with Kevin Costner) and it doesn't seem like that long ago you saw it in the theaters.. but it came out in 91. That was nearly 15 years ago.. a decade and a half gone by.
Where have all these years gone?

Then you hear songs like "Days go by" by Keith Urban or "Live like you were dying" by Tim McGraw and it really starts to sink in. We've started dying since the day we were born.
The days are flying by like "my hand out the window".

I'll be the first to admit I feel old and the years for me are going by fast. So what do you say, are there any other old men (and women) out there besides me?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 10:11:42 AM »

I`ll be 30 early next year, and while that is only somewhat old :roll: , it`s still the same effect.

Things either suck and take forever or are enjoyable and fly by WAY too fast.

Don`t mind me it`s way too early, but yes I do certainly agree with you :wink: .
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 10:38:34 AM »

Yeah, I'll be 33 tomorrow, and while I don't feel old per se, there are many things I remember vividly that happened years ago.  I was doing an on-location recording at Vanderbilt University yesterday, looking at all the students around who *look* like adults, not much younger than me.  But I realized that most of them are a good dozen years younger, and don't remember most of the things I did growing up.

The thing that really makes me feel "old" is that my dad died at 51... and I'm 2/3rds of the way there.

Then again, I look at my mom's dad, who didn't get married until he was my age (I'll be getting married at the end of the year), and he lived for another 60 years after that, and got to see several great-grandchildren born.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 10:55:20 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Then you hear songs like "Days go by" by Keith Urban or "Live like you were dying" by Tim McGraw and it really starts to sink in. We've started dying since the day we were born.
The days are flying by like "my hand out the window".

Nothing ages a person like country music.  For God's sake stop now while you still have a few productive years left.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 11:25:25 AM »

Ha, ya beat me to it warning.  Country music makes your soul hurt.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 11:44:21 AM »

I'd say the thing that does it to me is looking at my nieces.  They range in age from 18 - 22.  I look at these girls, now OUT of high school, and think to myself...
"Wait a second... if they are out of high school now, and they were just kids when I was IN high school.... then that makes me.... OLD."  Of course, I'd imagine that's common for people in their 30's.  

One nice thing about it though, with age does come financial freedom.  I am able to do things now I could only dream of doing when I was in my early 20's.  That's the plus side.  But yes, I do know where you are coming from, without a doubt.  The absolute biggest difference I notice in myself is my attitude regarding health.  Up until last year, I didn't even think about my own health... ever.  Lately, I'm thinking about it more and more.  Eat right, cardio workouts, healthy teeth, checkups at the doctor, stuff like that.  It's very, very odd.  

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 01:53:44 PM »

Old was 20 years ago. :?

Ye Olde Farte
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 02:31:13 PM »

I'll be 33 the day after "The Movies" ships. I feel about a hundred years old though.

Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 02:46:45 PM »

Yesterday my 3 year old brought me my Star Trek VI DVD and proclaimed his love of Star Trek (even though he's never seen a minute of it).  I remembered seeing the movie in the theater.  Looked at the date on the back: 1991.  Ten years before the kid was born.

This fall I'm taking classes at the local university.  I didn't feel old until I realized that most of the students were born after I graduated from high school.  I'm no longer the studly smart dude; now I'm the creepy old guy who ogles all the chicks.

But I can live with that.  There are a lot of cute ones.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 03:11:29 PM »

I really don't feel old.  I just turned 40 this year.

For me, I feel nostalgic.  I'm nostalgic for the good old days.  You know, the days where there were only twin cinema's and no 20+ multiplexes; the days of true Saturday morning cartoons & shows (Sid & Marty Kroft Rule!); the days when really good movies stayed in theaters for months on end (original Star Wars stayed 54 weeks in the twin cinema I frequented); the days of truly fun and entertaining TV (Six Million Dollar Man, A-Team, Emergency thumbsup ); the days of playing endless games of street and pond hockey; and Christmas mornings as a kid.

I feel sad, not old.  I wish I could turn back the hands of time...

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 04:15:50 PM »

I don't feel old physically, but every once in a while I'll see something like a commercial that shows someone's whole life and realize that I'm going to be (hopefully) old some day.  Kind of sobering because I think most people are so caught up in the day to day that they don't really think about the whole getting old thing.
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 04:23:40 PM »

I've been reading a pretty fascinating book: Immortality: How Science Is Extending Your Life Span and Changing the World by Dr. Ben Bova.

It's really interesting stuff.  His premise is that aging is a disease, and a practical cure is just around the corner.  He really makes a convincing case for it.

The way he sees it, we need to do everything in our power to stay alive until the 'cure' is found.  I'm investing in an underground bubble  biggrin

------
To answer the question, however, at times I feel old (like hearing songs from when I was in HS on the 'classic rock' stations), but in practical every day terms, I really don't feel fundamentally different from when I was a teenager.  Well, aside from being more under control and even of temperament  biggrin   There are lots of benefits of being older, and almost all of them are mental.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: